League 1 General Chat Thread

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
His actual gripe was abit ridiculous though. It started with him claiming his club Accrington should be getting 50% of our IFollow revenue when we sold 5,500 passes to the game against them. That is despite us having already sold out the away end. It made no sense.

We also played them midweek at our stadium (this could’ve been last season) and sold over 5,000 IFollow passes and again he was adamant it was a disgrace that Accrington wouldn't receive half the revenue. I don’t understand how he can think it’s a valid argument when our fans are clearly paying to watch us. Why would they receive half because they are the opponent? Whereas we’d have got half of their 50 IFollow buys. It made no sense at all and was clearly just a way for the littler clubs to ponce money off the bigger fanbases.

His argument about the game at their place was insane anyway as the actual away end had already sold out. So it wasn’t as if the IFollow buys were restricting numbers at their ground as he was insinuating.
I could half understand his point, not fully, but it sounded like it was really centred around clubs profiting as much from away games, which in itself does seems a weird logic. For me, it should have been set up on a sliding scale so if an away end is sold out, the away club should get more of the split because they've done as much as they possibly can in terms of away attendance and if it isn't sold out, it's a different split (so in the example you use, I agree with you in the main because you sold out the away end but I don't think there should be any circumstance where an away club pockets 100% of the revenue from iFollow pass sales).

I've always found iFollow a bit of a weird one anyway, it's never felt like the revenue and the split of it has quite been worked out correctly. I don't agree with an away club getting 100% of the revenue just because the iFollow pass is bought through their site because it's not their feed they're using, or their cameras, or their cameraperson, their overheads that need covering etc etc etc.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
It’s worrying to see so much financial difficulties occurring at so many Football League clubs at the minute. We’re so lucky at Salop with Roland Wycherley (second longest serving chairman in the Football League, 1996), that we not only own our own ground, but have zero debt and haven’t experienced financial difficulties once since he’s taken over. So, so, so blessed to have him and wouldn’t change him for any other owner.

I’m hoping that this is just a small blip in football and not a constant thing. Can’t see it unfortunately however. Think there’s gonna be a few surprise clubs coming into a bit of financial troubles in the not too distant future.
It's starting to feel like the issues in the Championship that have been on the cusp of coming to a head for a number of years now are starting to happen - Reading, Huddersfield, Birmingham, Wigan to name four. Then throw Cardiff in as well who don't seem to have a pot to piss in and Swansea seem to have been stripped of anything worth any value and they're stacking up.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I could half understand his point, not fully, but it sounded like it was really centred around clubs profiting as much from away games, which in itself does seems a weird logic. For me, it should have been set up on a sliding scale so if an away end is sold out, the away club should get more of the split because they've done as much as they possibly can in terms of away attendance and if it isn't sold out, it's a different split (so in the example you use, I agree with you in the main because you sold out the away end but I don't think there should be any circumstance where an away club pockets 100% of the revenue from iFollow pass sales).

I've always found iFollow a bit of a weird one anyway, it's never felt like the revenue and the split of it has quite been worked out correctly. I don't agree with an away club getting 100% of the revenue just because the iFollow pass is bought through their site because it's not their feed they're using, or their cameras, or their cameraperson, their overheads that need covering etc etc etc.
The Away club only gets revenue after a certain amount sold (not sure if its 250 or 500 passes) so the home club gets the home revenue from it and the first 250 or 500 away passes.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
The Away club only gets revenue after a certain amount sold (not sure if its 250 or 500 passes) so the home club gets the home revenue from it and the first 250 or 500 away passes.
I think that was only in place for the Covid seasons as a quick, straight forward measure?

Bar Carousel

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
His actual gripe was abit ridiculous though. It started with him claiming his club Accrington should be getting 50% of our IFollow revenue when we sold 5,500 passes to the game against them. That is despite us having already sold out the away end. It made no sense.

We also played them midweek at our stadium (this could’ve been last season) and sold over 5,000 IFollow passes and again he was adamant it was a disgrace that Accrington wouldn't receive half the revenue. I don’t understand how he can think it’s a valid argument when our fans are clearly paying to watch us. Why would they receive half because they are the opponent? Whereas we’d have got half of their 50 IFollow buys. It made no sense at all and was clearly just a way for the littler clubs to ponce money off the bigger fanbases.

His argument about the game at their place was insane anyway as the actual away end had already sold out. So it wasn’t as if the IFollow buys were restricting numbers at their ground as he was insinuating.

Be careful what you wish for.

If you surge up the leagues and land in the premier league, would you be happy with a tiny fraction of a newly agreed TV deal which massively favours the clubs with huge international fanbases? I'm not talking along the lines of the current set up, but one whereby the unfashionable clubs eat a proportion of the scraps between them. The disparity would be unimaginable and kill off competition completely in what is already a virtually closed shop.

I'd be happier that the wealth was shared a lot more evenly, so it seems hypocritical not to get behind Andy Holt's point of view at this level. After all, if there was no opposition, there wouldn't be a match to profit against in the first place. Revenue from ticket sales etc should be the advantage between the big and small match-up's.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
So just seen Jack Diamonds loan spell has been terminated with us, after he was charged with 1 count of sexual assault and rape. This was from last May. He has also been suspended by Sunderland. He started the season strongly, but every Lincoln fan will agree he has been off his game and very frustrating to watch over the last 4/5 months, no surprise if this has all been happening in the background!

EDIT, On reading this back, it does seem i am focusing on the player and how it has impacted him. Innocent until proven guilty of course, but got to feel for the victim here.

Last edited:

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Don’t really expect anything in terms of whatever level we play at higher or lower. I’ve seen us play all three levels of the EFL and it’s the same principle throughout. When you win and in a promotion race it’s great and you’re loving life, when you’re mediocre like we have been this season (or yourselves for that matter) it becomes a right old chore. The opponent for the most part is an irrelevance.
I disagree with you that it doesn't matter who the oppostion is. It's got to be better to go away to watch Pompey play say QPR or Millwall than watch us go away to say PV or Burton and lose. I'm a season ticket holder and have been for years and I can assure you I'd rather play in the Championship than L2. each to their own tho

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I disagree with you that it doesn't matter who the oppostion is. It's got to be better to go away to watch Pompey play say QPR or Millwall than watch us go away to say PV or Burton and lose. I'm a season ticket holder and have been for years and I can assure you I'd rather play in the Championship than L2. each to their own tho
I’d rather go to vale park than loftus road. At least you can see the fucking pitch without obstructions. Dreadful place.
But then I’d rather to to fratton park than most championship teams as I love the place. My sister lived down there for years and I thought it was fantastic.
So long may your mid table obscurity last so I get to still go…

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be fair the Championship has a lot of meh clubs in it, there’s as many decent away trips in this level and let’s be fair Sheff Wednesday and Derby are arguably as big as any in the league above.

If we went up it would still be a load of clubs we’ve played fairly recently (Sheff United and Sunderland for the 1000th time in recent years) or Meh trips, Reading with all due respect to them is the one I always forget on guess the 92, Lego stadium just seems a souless one to do, you’d argue the away days down here are just as good if not better currently.

I can’t see extra home fans rolling up for Swansea, QPR or Bournemouth at home any more than they would Burton or Bristol Rovers.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Fratton Park is a fucking amazing ground, the guy with the bell can get lost (if/when he's not banned), but everything else about it is a treat.

Have greatly enjoyed seeing FGR play in grander and bigger stadiums this year (it's insane we were ever anywhere near Hillsborough....) and frankly not looking forward to the prospect so much of many of the League Two awaydays (especially if Orient come up, as they probably deserve to and will).

On the other hand, Burton: faggots. Fab.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Fratton Park is a fucking amazing ground, the guy with the bell can get lost (if/when he's not banned), but everything else about it is a treat.

Have greatly enjoyed seeing FGR play in grander and bigger stadiums this year (it's insane we were ever anywhere near Hillsborough....) and frankly not looking forward to the prospect so much of many of the League Two awaydays (especially if Orient come up, as they probably deserve to and will).

On the other hand, Burton: faggots. Fab.

Notts would be pretty good. Always enjoyed going there even if the last time we went it was a relegation six pointer down to the conference. Suppose the problem for FGR next time is there doesn’t look like a huge amount of local fixtures, maybe Newport and Swindon (I’m assuming Oxford will somehow get out of it). At least Stevenage are likely coming up so you avoid that one, it’s a relatively easy fixture for me to get to but it’s just an utterly joyless away day.

I’d rather go to vale park than loftus road. At least you can see the fucking pitch without obstructions. Dreadful place.
But then I’d rather to to fratton park than most championship teams as I love the place. My sister lived down there for years and I thought it was fantastic.
So long may your mid table obscurity last so I get to still go…

For the most part that’s true of VP though the Hamil currently at the back the scoreboard does impede you a little (it’s coming down for next season when home fans move there) and also the old school posts holding up the roof on three of the stands. QPR is only notable to me as it’s the place where some dude went viral at the time after they got battered by us in a cup game and completely lost his rag. Outside of that as London aways go it’s pretty far down the list for me.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I'll be particularly sorry we're not to be in the same league as Bristol Rovers next year, we've got a nice little local rivalry going with them*, with none of the "El Glosico" nonsense, not least as they are historically and currently so much bigger than us that it would be absurd to even contemplate calling it a derby.

*which may or may not exclude much of The New Lawn chanting "Oh Joey, you're a c***" and similar things aimed at Mr Barton on and off for a whole match at a time

No disrespect to them but Swindon just doesn't cut the mustard. Oxford Utd maybe even less.

Losing Exeter, a fantastic away day to a really admirably run club is also a pity. Apart from Newport, I think Walsall may be our geographically closest rival next year, and well, the West Country and the Black Country are two different worlds...

OTOH we're not relegated yet (right...)

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Not sure how much power they have but the Premier league aren't keen on getting rid of the 3pm blackout.

Hmmm...probably the most powerful organisation in World football...if the Premier League told FIFA or UEFA to jump the response would be "How high?"

Guess what this means is that if the Premier League doesn't want the 3pm blackout to go it won't!

Last edited:

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I’m interested why the premier league still want a 3pm black out. Out of all the organisations, they’d be the ones with most to gain I’d have thought?

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Yep, I don’t see Premier League clubs losing any matchday income from this. But they will be able to sell more rights packages. Surely win/win?

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Let's hope its with a much better deal for L1 and L2 clubs. Maybe with Wrexham joining the EFL they can negotiate something better!
Eh, not sure why Wrexham will make a difference? Unless you are going for the Ryan Reynolds factor, and that will get pretty old fairly quickly if they get promoted.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Eh, not sure why Wrexham will make a difference? Unless you are going for the Ryan Reynolds factor, and that will get pretty old fairly quickly if they get promoted.
I'm pretty sure they were instrumental in getting a deal for the national league TV thing.
I think their bandwagon will carry on, expect them to be shown frequently by Sky, definitely the new Salford.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I'm pretty sure they were instrumental in getting a deal for the national league TV thing.
I think their bandwagon will carry on, expect them to be shown frequently by Sky, definitely the new Salford.
Not sure, but TV won't like showing all the Ryan Reynolds abuse songs that get sung at every away ground.....you know what us football fans are like :)

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
That just means Wrexham will be on TV as much as Salford City were a couple of seasons back. And, err, we, and, em, Sheffield Wednesday were this year. Media favourites and that.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Our 2021/22 financial report is out.

£12.6 Million loss.
£16.4 Million wage budget, the 3rd highest in League one history.

Sunderland the highest ever at £26.7 Million - wow!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Our 2021/22 financial report is out.

£12.6 Million loss.
£16.4 Million wage budget, the 3rd highest in League one history.

Sunderland the highest ever at £26.7 Million - wow!
Bonkers, makes you wonder what the FFP rules actually do.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Bonkers, makes you wonder what the FFP rules actually do.

They do nothing in this league essentially. The owners can inject as much money as they want as it counts towards turnover. Luckily it's an equity injection rather than a loan, otherwise I'd be concerned.

The owners are chucking a lot of money at infrastructure etc too. We have a new multi-million pound pitch being installed next season and so much has been changed / modernised in the club itself.

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury Town
They do nothing in this league essentially. The owners can inject as much money as they want as it counts towards turnover. Luckily it's an equity injection rather than a loan, otherwise I'd be concerned.

The owners are chucking a lot of money at infrastructure etc too. We have a new multi-million pound pitch being installed next season and so much has been changed / modernised in the club itself.
Good to see that your owners are putting in cash rather than loaning it to you.
Now I don't want to sound "anti Wrexham", actually I am, but Wrexham financials show a £6 million t/o with a £2million loss.
Reynolds and the other guy have loaned the club £2million at 7.25% interest. Losses for this season,when announced this time next year,will be at least a further £3 million along with the new stand costing £5 million. All losses and costs will be covered by the 2 owners at 7.25% meaning that in 3 years the football club will owe the owners £10 million @ 7.25% = £725,000 pa playable in interest alone.

Sooooo are the yanks really there for the football?

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Now I don't want to sound "anti Wrexham", actually I am, but Wrexham financials show a £6 million t/o with a £2million loss.
Reynolds and the other guy have loaned the club £2million at 7.25% interest. Losses for this season,when announced this time next year,will be at least a further £3 million along with the new stand costing £5 million. All losses and costs will be covered by the 2 owners at 7.25% meaning that in 3 years the football club will owe the owners £10 million @ 7.25% = £725,000 pa playable in interest alone.

Yeah I'm definitely glad it's not a loan, otherwise I'd fear for the future of the club. It's also positive that they're improving all aspects of the club, not just players.

Wow, I didn't realise that was the case with Wrexham. That's pretty concerning actually, and could end in disaster.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

I thought the Disney series had made them lots of money though? Not sure how much of that will go back to the club.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
We’ve appointed ex Blackpool manager Terry McPhillips as our new Chief Scout, worked with our assistant Tony Grant in India and was assistant at Southport this season.

He’s going to be very busy, we’re set for another major overhaul this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!