League 1 General Chat Thread

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Looks like the Carlisle takeover has happened today.

Going to add a massive twist to the relegation battle because I’d imagine Carlisle are favourites for then drop to many people and even if the owners long term financially destroy the club and end up useless in the short term they are bound to come in Billy big b*llocks and I’d expect Carlisle to suddenly spend quite large in January.

I’d imagine what was got Simpson last week looking at option c and d transfer choices can now look at option a
Fucking hell Dave :lol:
Even I’m not thinking along those lines!

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Yes we have finally been taken over and are now moving into the 21st century so I can see us really investing in January for a deadly strike force which we will very much need to help us survive L1.

Good times ahead and no more room for negativity like from our most unbearably pessimistic fans!!

They can also join our previous depressive owners in leaving the club *cough hellogregory*.
Hate to break it to you, I’m going no where. This is my reward for the years and years of enduring constant failure on the pitch, shit off the pitch, budget cuts, cutting corners, and just general low standards.

We may still go down this season, but this takeover means we’d be in a fantastic position to bounce right back with the right manager and budget. As I’ve said previously, I don’t think it’ll be a crazy budget, but it will be a good enough budget to do well.

Nothing negative here. There may still be short term pain on the pitch given that the team is so poor, but that’s not the bigger picture.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
Sort of feels like the number of clubs with wealthy owner's willing to subsidise them is the norm rather than then exception now in League One and Two.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
There may be a hint of hyperbole in Carver's last post!

The Piatak's seem to be the real deal, but I don't think we'll be seeing Wrexham levels of spending. They've pledged a 'stepchange' budget for January's window, but beyond that I anticipate a measured approach. Their track record in business shows massive promise, with sensible, sustainable investment very much the order.

Excited to see where this goes, but the real business begins on Saturday with a very difficult game against Charlton. Hoping to see a big turnout for this one...

I suppose but they will surely have enough money to at last break our embarrassingly low transfer fee record and also there is a good chance with the situation at Everton that Branthwaite will get sold in the next window for tens of millions giving us a nice looking sell on fee.

Lot's to look forward to.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Hate to break it to you, I’m going no where. This is my reward for the years and years of enduring constant failure on the pitch, shit off the pitch, budget cuts, cutting corners, and just general low standards.

We may still go down this season, but this takeover means we’d be in a fantastic position to bounce right back with the right manager and budget. As I’ve said previously, I don’t think it’ll be a crazy budget, but it will be a good enough budget to do well.

Nothing negative here. There may still be short term pain on the pitch given that the team is so poor, but that’s not the bigger picture.

If the worst happens L2 does look easy to come back up from after having been in L1 and even more so now we're a wealthy club.
But there are clubs down there like Mansfield and Bradford who have had good budgets but have been stuck there for too long, so if we do go down this season it will still be a disaster and too painful for you to handle.

Moonie

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I don’t think they have pots of cash, they just run loads of haulage stuff over Florida.

Their overall wealth we will see longer term but short term whether cash or not they will increase the wage budget and the transfer budget……….happens most of the time with takeovers.
Underestimating them there mate, they run loads of haulage stuff all over the states. Their clients include various departments of the US government.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
If the worst happens L2 does look easy to come back up from after having been in L1 and even more so now we're a wealthy club.
But there are clubs down there like Mansfield and Bradford who have had good budgets but have been stuck there for too long, so if we do go down this season it will still be a disaster and too painful for you to handle.
A disaster? No. Going out of the football league under the previous ownership would have been the disaster, and it was always my biggest fear.

Going down to League 2 under these owners and with Simpson in charge wouldn’t be ideal, but it would be far from a disaster.

But hopefully we stay up. I fully expected us to stay up at the start of the season. The terrible start has caught me off guard but hopefully we do enough.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
A disaster? No. Going out of the football league under the previous ownership would have been the disaster, and it was always my biggest fear.

Going down to League 2 under these owners and with Simpson in charge wouldn’t be ideal, but it would be far from a disaster.

But hopefully we stay up. I fully expected us to stay up at the start of the season. The terrible start has caught me off guard but hopefully we do enough.

Believe me it would be that bad.

Big budgets don't mean much in L2 when there are clubs with poor budgets who quite often get promoted just by being conventional and very efficient from set pieces and that's pretty much how we got promoted.

So we do need to spend big in January and I mean BIG.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
This usually means the sack is incoming.
Usually. However we do things differently as we’re ‘unique’. Wouldn’t put it past our board to give him a new 3 year deal.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Believe me it would be that bad.

Big budgets don't mean much in L2 when there are clubs with poor budgets who quite often get promoted just by being conventional and very efficient from set pieces and that's pretty much how we got promoted.

So we do need to spend big in January and I mean BIG.
We won’t be spending a big as you think/expect. It will be a sensible, measured, long term approach.

Obviously they’ll back Simpson to improve the squad in January with a bigger budget. But it won’t be this mass panic scattergun big spending approach.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Levels of excitement at Carlisle last seen when Michael Knighton was in charge..

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Them first few years were fantastic until Knighton has an encounter with aliens near barrow and decided to make himself the first ever chairman manager because he’d been a PE teacher……ah well.

The big problem I have currently is I have absolute zero idea of these guys worth…….what can they genuinely afford to spend, any google search brings limited success and their company can bring worth ranging from £80 million to £500 million depending what you can find.

But also companyn value is only owner worth of that company is sold, even if it was at that upper £500 million mark it doesn’t mean the owner is worth that much.

But it is a hard question to ask currently, ‘hello welcome to Carlisle…….how much money you got??’

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
We won’t be spending a big as you think/expect. It will be a sensible, measured, long term approach.

Obviously they’ll back Simpson to improve the squad in January with a bigger budget. But it won’t be this mass panic scattergun big spending approach.

I strongly believe there will be mega bucks thrown around in January and then even more in the summer to get us to the Championship next season.

We must think big from now on and have a big club mindset.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
In side news Robbie Williams is so impressed with the Wrexham story he wants to emulate it and has suggested at some point wanting to do similar with Vale which has prompted Phil the Power Taylor to suggest he would be open to a link up if offered.

Not sure it would quite be the same mind as both are obviously local rather than Hollywood stars and both already have a close affinity to the club as boyhood fans!

Got us in the national press a bit mind.

Robbie has obviously linked up a lot more with the club since Carol came in with designing our kits in the Covid season and his homecoming gig at Vale Park.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Thank you for that Carver.

And now back in the real world…

I'm not being funny.

If Wigan can do it then so can we, they struggled one season in L1, splashed a load of cash and the next season they went and won the league!

Moonie

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Them first few years were fantastic until Knighton has an encounter with aliens near barrow and decided to make himself the first ever chairman manager because he’d been a PE teacher……ah well.

The big problem I have currently is I have absolute zero idea of these guys worth…….what can they genuinely afford to spend, any google search brings limited success and their company can bring worth ranging from £80 million to £500 million depending what you can find.

But also companyn value is only owner worth of that company is sold, even if it was at that upper £500 million mark it doesn’t mean the owner is worth that much.

But it is a hard question to ask currently, ‘hello welcome to Carlisle…….how much money you got??’
The discrepancy in the figures you're quoting is profit (net revenue) vs turnover (gross revenue) - neither are an approximation of the value of the company.

Revenue (turnover) in 2022: $414 million
Net revenue (profit) in 2022: $85 million

Don't get me wrong, he's no billionaire - but he's got a proven record in business, having built MTL from the ground up.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
In side news Robbie Williams is so impressed with the Wrexham story he wants to emulate it and has suggested at some point wanting to do similar with Vale which has prompted Phil the Power Taylor to suggest he would be open to a link up if offered.

Not sure it would quite be the same mind as both are obviously local rather than Hollywood stars and both already have a close affinity to the club as boyhood fans!

Got us in the national press a bit mind.

Robbie has obviously linked up a lot more with the club since Carol came in with designing our kits in the Covid season and his homecoming gig at Vale Park.
Given Feel has to play Seniors darts to help support his ex-wife and has been shopping himself around TV execs for I'm a Celeb for getting on for the past decade, I doubt he'd be ploughing money into a football club.

He'll bloody name-drop a good un though.

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The discrepancy in the figures you're quoting is profit (net revenue) vs turnover (gross revenue) - neither are an approximation of the value of the company.

Revenue (turnover) in 2022: $414 million
Net revenue (profit) in 2022: $85 million

Don't get me wrong, he's no billionaire - but he's got a proven record in business, having built MTL from the ground up.
Whatever the figures are, one thing is for certain, it's a huge upgrade on Andrew Jenkins and his £15/£20 million business. Especially when these lot seem willing to part with some hard cash unlike our departing friend.

It's not just the money aspect. They'll drag all corners of the club up into the 21st century. They've already started by increasing the home allocation in the East Stand.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Last edited:

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
It is important though at present they have some genuine questions now need asked. I find it at times astounding how blind and blinkered fans get with new owners while only thinking about mass spending and not being interested at any long term consequences.

Wigan the best prime example just 2-3 years ago had this fantastic new owners dragging them out of the gutter, now comes the mass spending and promotion when no feasible base to fund it only to then collapse soon later and again plunging them right back into a mess.

New owners were needed, club was never moving forward but it shouldn’t be done in a way where you don’t check it’s the right owners.

How much money do they have?
Why have they liv If in Florida decided for some reason to buy Carlisle?
The £2 million debt supposedly now rectified…….has that been paid off, or just moved about?
Is investment coming in and written off or just coming in as loans thus leaving enormous debts and risk of ground security?
Do these owners have thick skins when it doesn’t go right and won’t throw toys out pram if fans grumble at them?
Are these owners ok at possible prospect of relegation for a long term build or going to demand instant progress?

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
A £3.5m overhaul on our training ground has finally been complete to bring it up to the standard of league one clubs. Our CEO said prior to this we had the worst facilities in not only league one, but league two also.

Our ground to be redeveloped is next.

More pics here - https://www.cambridgeunited.com/new...one-efl-english-football-league-november-2023

I find it hard to believe that you had the worst facilities in the bottom two leagues.

We have nothing except a boxroom gym, a miniscule indoor 5 aside pitch and an outdoor pitch that spends most of the year waterlogged.

Don't Barrow train in Manchester? I highly doubt that they own those facilities.

Fair play though on the upgrade. £3.5 million is a decent investment and it's the minimum our new owners are going to have to spend once they find a suitable location.

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
It is important though at present they have some genuine questions now need asked. I find it at times astounding how blind and blinkered fans get with new owners while only thinking about mass spending and not being interested at any long term consequences.

Wigan the best prime example just 2-3 years ago had this fantastic new owners dragging them out of the gutter, now comes the mass spending and promotion when no feasible base to fund it only to then collapse soon later and again plunging them right back into a mess.

New owners were needed, club was never moving forward but it shouldn’t be done in a way where you don’t check it’s the right owners.

How much money do they have?
Why have they liv If in Florida decided for some reason to buy Carlisle?
The £2 million debt supposedly now rectified…….has that been paid off, or just moved about?
Is investment coming in and written off or just coming in as loans thus leaving enormous debts and risk of ground security?
Do these owners have thick skins when it doesn’t go right and won’t throw toys out pram if fans grumble at them?
Are these owners ok at possible prospect of relegation for a long term build or going to demand instant progress?
They've already explained the why Carlisle question. They undertook extensive research on a number of football league clubs before choosing us. By the way we were one of the shortlisted clubs for the Wrexham lot.

They've already made it clear that all investment will be upfront with actual cash. Zero loans and debt building will occur. The exact same way that their own business is run.

Money will be used to build a sustainable club, aiming to increase things like non-matchday revenue. They understand and accept that the whole club requires investment, not just the playing side. We're not going to start spending millions on players.

Tom, with the help of his family have built that business up from nothing with no outside investment. They understand the long game and understand that strong foundations are the key to long term success.

He is a veteran with strong religious beliefs. He does a massive amount for the underprivileged in his area. This is a full family venture. He might be from across the big pond but I'm sure he won't want to jeopardize his or his family's good reputation by screwing us over.

Time will tell but everything seems to be pointing in the right direction.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I find it hard to believe that you had the worst facilities in the bottom two leagues.

We have nothing except a boxroom gym, a miniscule indoor 5 aside pitch and an outdoor pitch that spends most of the year waterlogged.

Don't Barrow train in Manchester? I highly doubt that they own those facilities.

Fair play though on the upgrade. £3.5 million is a decent investment and it's the minimum our new owners are going to have to spend once they find a suitable location.
Maybe our CEO was trying to justify the spend a little more but I do know our pitches were either waterlogged or frozen throughout the winter so drainage was installed and the players were working out of portakabins on a daily basis.

I can't speak for other clubs and their faculties but I had been down there a few times for academy games and the facilities were very poor. Players had to travel offsite for the gym, recovery chambers etc.

A good work place on a daily basis is vital to attracting and keeping players and we owe a lot to our owners. In the last 12 months they've bought our ground back for £4.5m, invested £3.5m into the training ground and our next phase is to develop our ground with rumours it being an 12,000 capacity stadium. Plans are due to be released in January.

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Maybe our CEO was trying to justify the spend a little more but I do know our pitches were either waterlogged or frozen throughout the winter so drainage was installed and the players were working out of portakabins on a daily basis.

I can't speak for other clubs and their faculties but I had been down there a few times for academy games and the facilities were very poor. Players had to travel offsite for the gym, recovery chambers etc.

A good work place on a daily basis is vital to attracting and keeping players and we owe a lot to our owners. In the last 12 months they've bought our ground back for £4.5m, invested £3.5m into the training ground and our next phase is to develop our ground with rumours it being an 12,000 capacity stadium. Plans are due to be released in January.
Brilliant. That all sounds positive. Good news stories are rare in football club ownership.

Reactions: SVH

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
A few more points that appear positive regarding our new owners.

They've not hidden away during the process. They've sat in the East Stand, stood on the Warwick, talked to anyone in pubs and the fanzone before games.

They've come over and attended obscure games. A friendly at Annan and a Cumberland cup game at Carlisle City.

They're wanting to set up a living base in the Lake District. This isn't all going to be done via zoom calls.

Tom is an investor in the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their owner is the same guy who owns Fulham. From the outside looking in, Fulham appear to be a well run club. If we can even remotely follow in their footsteps I'd be extremely happy. If nothing else the Fulham guy is a positive mentor.

We've dreamed small and been small for so long. Now it's time to dream big.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I strongly believe there will be mega bucks thrown around in January and then even more in the summer to get us to the Championship next season.

Yep, it is that easy.....

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I'm not being funny.

If Wigan can do it then so can we, they struggled one season in L1, splashed a load of cash and the next season they went and won the league!
I honestly don't think these guys are coming in to just throw a load of money at it. I think they are in it for the long term and will look to build the club properly and do it right. Spunking all the cash right at the start is not what they seem to be about imo. As I say, they'll back Simmo with an improved budget, but I'd be amazed if it's a crazy level of spending like you're expecting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andy Butler
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!