Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

Holty10

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
No mate. We ditched that at end of December and played 4231 when we won 17 in 23. The change in shape was a huge reason why we improved
It was definitely a change in shape, but it allowed him to have a back 3 too. MJ definitely offered that 3 CB cover. Think it worked really well as early on we just didn't have the midfield.
We need to offload Crawford and we still have Comley don’t we? I think Evatt sees Tutte as the MJ back up. Lee and Dapo can play central behind Doyle and we have Politic coming back. Not sure he fully rates Darcy who could also play there.

I don’t think he’ll sign another midfielder if we get Sheehan and could see him switching to a lone DM with 2 centre mids rather than a more advanced attacking midfielder. At which point we have Lee Sarc Thomason and potentially Sheehan competing for those 4 spots. Which is really good depth. I wouldn’t mind Zach Clough back on a free to compete with Sarc if we do keep the same shape.
Yeah I think they will leave too. I could see Cannon signing, he seems the opposite to Sheehan on that graphs. Evatt didn't rest MJ for Tutte at any point and I'd like to think we have someone he is confident in to rotate for the position. Lee did okay when Sarce was out further forward, but the missed chances in that period cost us games. I could see a striker being signed as a more attacking option in that role.

Roger Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Sheehan is a very good player for L2. Many were anticipating a move to a Championship club but a move to Bolton is quite shrewd. Bolton should be there or there abouts next season so a fair chance he will play in 2nd tier in a year or two anyway plus will get more game time in L1 in the meantime. Will also feed his ambitions to play for Wales more, having broken into the squad with us.
He would have left us if we were promoted as we can't compete financially with most L2 clubs let alone L1. Re-booting his career in South Wales after being released by Swansea suited both parties.
Sheehan will get stuck in but is quite small, and would be suited to a more advanced midfield role as well as a deeper lying midfielder picking balls up off keeper and CBs, like he did for us. The midfield we had earlier this season was cracking with Sheehan, Twine and Labadie.
Can't imagine too many Newport fans are pleased to see him leave, which tells you all you need to know.

James Frost

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
We need to offload Crawford and we still have Comley don’t we? I think Evatt sees Tutte as the MJ back up. Lee and Dapo can play central behind Doyle and we have Politic coming back. Not sure he fully rates Darcy who could also play there.

I don’t think he’ll sign another midfielder if we get Sheehan and could see him switching to a lone DM with 2 centre mids rather than a more advanced attacking midfielder. At which point we have Lee Sarc Thomason and potentially Sheehan competing for those 4 spots. Which is really good depth. I wouldn’t mind Zach Clough back on a free to compete with Sarc if we do keep the same shape.
Sheehan should fit in perfectly with Evatt’s possession based ethos. Excellent signing if true.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Evatt seems to know what he's doing, playing MJ Williams in the same role he filled at Dale - holding midfielder, letting the others go forward and, being a big unit, being a very useful auxiliary centre half. Of the other ex-Daleys mentioned, Andy Cannon is a good bet - never nailed down a first team place at Pompey, but there is/was decent competition there. I've got a feeling that Fleetwood might fancy reuniting him with Callum Camps - same age group coming through the Dale youth system so have played together for years, and complemented each other well. Andy Tutte is a decent L2 midfielder who might have gone higher but for injuries - probably not a regular starter, but provides decent, reasonably reliable, cover (although personally I'd pick young Darcy ahead of him, unless he's totally lost form). Be interesting to see what happens with Politic - potentially able to rip sides apart on his own. I wouldn't bother with Zach Clough unless your treatment couch needs use. And, since you seem to have some "spends" again, if you need another striker get Ian Henderson in from Salford - would probably work well with Doyle, be one of the fittest players at your club, and would screw them over... :)

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Evatt seems to know what he's doing, playing MJ Williams in the same role he filled at Dale - holding midfielder, letting the others go forward and, being a big unit, being a very useful auxiliary centre half. Of the other ex-Daleys mentioned, Andy Cannon is a good bet - never nailed down a first team place at Pompey, but there is/was decent competition there. I've got a feeling that Fleetwood might fancy reuniting him with Callum Camps - same age group coming through the Dale youth system so have played together for years, and complemented each other well. Andy Tutte is a decent L2 midfielder who might have gone higher but for injuries - probably not a regular starter, but provides decent, reasonably reliable, cover (although personally I'd pick young Darcy ahead of him, unless he's totally lost form). Be interesting to see what happens with Politic - potentially able to rip sides apart on his own. I wouldn't bother with Zach Clough unless your treatment couch needs use. And, since you seem to have some "spends" again, if you need another striker get Ian Henderson in from Salford - would probably work well with Doyle, be one of the fittest players at your club, and would screw them over... :)
Haha I like Henderson but he’s about 36 now and under contract isn’t he? Not sure we would pay for a 36 year old. Clough just has that home grown factor for us and was brilliant when he first broke through. Would suit the football we play now but as you say he’s injury prone. I can’t wait to see Politic come back. I just hope the injury hasn’t ruined him.

I’m just desperate for Declan John to sign on the dotted line too now he’s officially been released by Swansea. I can’t wait for the new season already

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
well in a big surprise Mark Cooper has brought released Josh Kay back in on a 2 year deal - and looks like he will play him further forward this year instead of a wing back.

County1

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
It’s always interesting to see a fans perspective that sees a player week in week out. As Sheehan was voted into the team of the season by his fellow players and has 2 Wales caps this season so he must have something about him. It’s pretty low risk on a free anyway.
A great signing for you.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Derek Adams to be announced tomorrow morning, so that has obviously triggered player rumours.

Andy Cook, Liam Ridehalgh and Yann Songo’o have all signed. Graham Carey has also been mentioned.

In other words, link any player who lives local, has played for the club/Adams previously - you’re bound to get at least one right.
GC. Blooming eck! That might be because he has clearly not been too happy in Bulgaria, and I think he has been released. Yann does not surprise me, his holding role in midfield is central to Del Boys way.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Graham Carey has signed a new contract with CSKA Sofia so I don't think he's going to Bradford City.

Scott Wootton is available and maybe Derek Adams will try and sign him at Bradford City only because he signed Wootton when he managed us.
has, did not realise that. Wootton is a good call.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Haha I like Henderson but he’s about 36 now and under contract isn’t he? Not sure we would pay for a 36 year old. Clough just has that home grown factor for us and was brilliant when he first broke through. Would suit the football we play now but as you say he’s injury prone. I can’t wait to see Politic come back. I just hope the injury hasn’t ruined him.

I’m just desperate for Declan John to sign on the dotted line too now he’s officially been released by Swansea. I can’t wait for the new season already
Why pay a fee for Henderson when you can get players like Mullin or Stockton for free
Would take neither of them if we are to progress

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Why pay a fee for Henderson when you can get players like Mullin or Stockton for free
Would take neither of them if we are to progress
I wouldn’t fancy Stockton to be honest but Mullin is a no brainer on a free if he fancied it to compete with Doyle after the season he’s just had.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I wouldn’t fancy Stockton to be honest but Mullin is a no brainer on a free if he fancied it to compete with Doyle after the season he’s just had.
think we need someone who is not a Doyle/Mullin type player
Yates did well for Doyle at Swindon and was Blackpools best player this season.......need that sort of player

IanPVFC

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Twitter
@ianw1983
We're being heavily linked with Ben Garrity, was on load at Oldham this past season I think?

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Expect we’ll be going back full time for the coming season. We tried part time last season, it was ok, but lack of fitness and tiredness massively caught up with us towards the back end of the season.

Also expect us to stop looking in the northern league for players. We tried the recruiting part time lads like Cedwyn Scott from Hebburn but it didn’t work out. But if you don’t try you don’t know. Lesson learned.

Is there any evidence that Carlisle ever went part-time? If so, how did Morecambe end up having a smaller budget???

Sounds like an excuse for falling off a cliff after Christmas.

Also, I dipped onto the Carlisle forum to see if there was any discussion about Farman potentially moving to Barrow - what the fuck are half the discussions about 'succession' and some blokes who reckon they would take over the club if they could be bothered having a bet on who can make the most of £100? Absolute weirdos up that way.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We're being heavily linked with Ben Garrity, was on load at Oldham this past season I think?
Now confirmed, paid an undisclosed fee for him as well from Blackpool.

Looks a very good signing on paper.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
well in a big surprise Mark Cooper has brought released Josh Kay back in on a 2 year deal - and looks like he will play him further forward this year instead of a wing back.

Wouldn't have taken him back personally, though we've seen how good he can be when he wants to be. I can see him playing attacking midfielder, but I'd be very surprised if he's first choice.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Is there any evidence that Carlisle ever went part-time? If so, how did Morecambe end up having a smaller budget???

Sounds like an excuse for falling off a cliff after Christmas.

Also, I dipped onto the Carlisle forum to see if there was any discussion about Farman potentially moving to Barrow - what the fuck are half the discussions about 'succession' and some blokes who reckon they would take over the club if they could be bothered having a bet on who can make the most of £100? Absolute weirdos up that way.
Farman moving to barrow? First I’ve heard of that one. Which forum did you look at? Thecumbrians.net?

Myblueheaven04

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic

Very weak midfielder for us, gave the ball away consistantly. He has a good engine and gets forward but imo lacks any quality.
The big but is, our whole midfield was poor and one of the main reasons we conceded so many goals. So in a better midfield he may be a better player.
Good luck to him tho

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
I’ve been told we’ve spoken to and trying to sign Ex QPR striker Paul Smythe who played at Accrington on loan last season.

Also Bright Enobakhare whom Jackett had at Wolves who has been playing in Greece with AEK Athens.
Can’t say I know the first thing about Smythe, but Enobakhare would be an outstanding signing if he can be arsed to turn out for us.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Farman moving to barrow? First I’ve heard of that one. Which forum did you look at? Thecumbrians.net?

It's been mentioned on Twitter and our forum (plus a bit further back in this thread). Yeah, the Cumbrians forum - easily one of the strangest forums I've seen!

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
It's been mentioned on Twitter and our forum (plus a bit further back in this thread). Yeah, the Cumbrians forum - easily one of the strangest forums I've seen!
Yeah it is weird. A lot of normal Carlisle fans have given up on the club after years of constant disappointment. Our support has just about halved in a little over a decade. There’s people like myself who are clinging on to support but have zero faith in anything good happening, there’s also the ones that thrive on misery, probably have corpses under their floor boards, there’s the glass half full happy ones that kid themselves that everything is great, then there’s the weirdos that reside on that forum, a lot of them exiles who’ve either had too much sun or don’t actually care too much about the football and prefer to talk about the crisps they miss not being in the UK.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Yeah it is weird. A lot of normal Carlisle fans have given up on the club after years of constant disappointment. Our support has just about halved in a little over a decade.
That's interesting as I see our clubs as having quite similar paths over the last decade yet our support seems to remain strong. Well, at least the same as it was.

With us, there is always next season. I guess if we fall short again that might test a few.

Jonny12

Andy Butler is a god
Reaction score
Supports
Walsall FC
Twitter
@JonnyOwen12
Cameron Norman signs for Newport County. Good player, a lot of our fans hoped we would retain him but he was released.

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
Cameron Norman signs for Newport County. Good player, a lot of our fans hoped we would retain him but he was released.
He was better going forward than he was at defending and has a decent long throw on him wouldnt have minded us keeping him Scarr however can go for me if Plymouth want him makes too many mistakes and isnt a ball playing defender i suspect Taylor might favour.

Attila the hun

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham

Garrity had an awful first touch and his passing wasn’t great has got a good engine on him and could possibly score a few goals from midfield for you I thought he could possibly be an 8 to 12 goal a season player playing in a far better midfield than we had last season

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
Clarke loves a midfield player we had more than we needed under him but hardly any attacking players hope he does things differently at vale or you will end up with an unbalanced squad like we had.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Clarke loves a midfield player we had more than we needed under him but hardly any attacking players hope he does things differently at vale or you will end up with an unbalanced squad like we had.

We’ll see how it goes but defensive midfielder was a big gap in the squad that needed filling. There’s another 12 or so places to fill so will see how it plays out.

Obviously Walsall fans are no fans of DC (which I understand) but some of the criticism of his recruitment comes across a little unfair just in my opinion. The two players your owner sold from under him in January were ones he brought to the club so it’s not as though he hasn’t had some success in that area.

SELatic

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham

Garrity is one of the worst players I have ever seen in an Oldham shirt. This isn’t a case of sour grapes or anything - just search his name on our hashtag on Twitter to see people’s thoughts throughout last season.

Popped up with a couple of goals early on and absolutely can’t knock his effort but I am gobsmacked someone has paid money for him. His passing is embarrassing for a midfielder.

As I say, he put the effort in so I wish him well but he’ll need to improve tenfold over the summer to be a decent player at this level.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Garrity is one of the worst players I have ever seen in an Oldham shirt. This isn’t a case of sour grapes or anything - just search his name on our hashtag on Twitter to see people’s thoughts throughout last season.

Popped up with a couple of goals early on and absolutely can’t knock his effort but I am gobsmacked someone has paid money for him. His passing is embarrassing for a midfielder.

As I say, he put the effort in so I wish him well but he’ll need to improve tenfold over the summer to be a decent player at this level.

It’s certainly not made for good reading some of the reviews on him. I’ll just have to take their word for it as I didn’t even know he existed as a player until yesterday.

Basically he’ll be asked to do two things by us - run a lot which he seems to do and give the ball to an actual footballer in Conlon or Worrall and let them do the rest.

SELatic

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
It’s certainly not made for good reading some of the reviews on him. I’ll just have to take their word for it as I didn’t even know he existed as a player until yesterday.

Basically he’ll be asked to do two things by us - run a lot which he seems to do and give the ball to an actual footballer in Conlon or Worrall and let them do the rest.
He’s got an engine on him so will at least tick that box

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!