@Hurrikeen
w2m7no.png
2v2i41v.png

Almost 30% :eyes:

Westbars_Spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Dreadful turn out from us tonight but no surprise really.

PrestonCha

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Oldham's away support always impresses me.

I know they've had their local derbies but, their away support always holds up pretty well given their relatively low home support and how shit the team generally is.

Similar to us, in some aspects.

If I was forced to support another Lancashire club, it'd be them.

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
Oldham's away support always impresses me.

I know they've had their local derbies but, their away support always holds up pretty well given their relatively low home support and how shit the team generally is.

Similar to us, in some aspects.

If I was forced to support another Lancashire club, it'd be them.
Have to disagree, take a look at some of their figures, basically each season they are skewed by Bury, Rochdale, Bolton ( 1st time ) , similar to ourselves when we play Crewe , Burton and Shrews.
Oldham bring about 300 to Vale for a night match which will be similar at the end of this month on a Tuesday.
There followings are not that impressive at all given Lancs, Yorks and Midlands games.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I'll defend Oldham. They bring a decent number to us every year who make an effort and make some noise (although their record against us is pretty good so that'll help). In comparison to those I would consider directly comparable in terms of home crowds and location over the last few years (Bury and Rochdale) then they stand up very well.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Yep, one of the clubs who tend to bring 800-1200 to VP, which isn't bad going for a club their size.

I don't buy the away to home ratio, though. Never have.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Yep, one of the clubs who tend to bring 800-1200 to VP, which isn't bad going for a club their size.

I don't buy the away to home ratio, though. Never have.

I do. And it's not just because we are third best when you use that as the barometer.

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
Have to disagree, take a look at some of their figures, basically each season they are skewed by Bury, Rochdale, Bolton ( 1st time ) , similar to ourselves when we play Crewe , Burton and Shrews.
Oldham bring about 300 to Vale for a night match which will be similar at the end of this month on a Tuesday.
There followings are not that impressive at all given Lancs, Yorks and Midlands games.
I think our followings are pretty decent when you consider we still tend to end the season between 6th-8th in the total away numbers chart, despite watching shite football for countless seasons and spending 20 consecutive years in this same godforsaken league playing the same teams.

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
It's alright saying there's a lot of clubs around Yorks/Lancs but plenty of those clubs still bring crap followings. Oldham always seem to bring comparitvely more than similar clubs.

Vale is nowhere fecking near anywhere so it's easy to say 'if we had loads of local games we'd be much more massive than them' but that's not how it works.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I think something else which does aid the more northern away crowds is the amount of clubs up there who give away larger allocations. If you look over the last few years at where the biggest away followings of the season have been at it's generally somewhere like Rochdale, Bury, Sheff Utd etc. Something else I've noted is that clubs in the north are more likely to give away followings bits in a couple of stands (Bury, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood, Bradford and Chesterfield spring to mind) which doesn't tend to happen so much in the south. There's some big away ends in the midlands too this season, but down south there's only a couple which exceed 2000 or so - Charlton and Millwall for us (although technically our away end should count too). Always seem to be a few local aways with paltry away capacities for us - Wimbledon for us this year is the main one, but in the past it's been Crawley, Stevenage or Orient (who despite having a big stand for visiting fans, only let you have a portion of it).

This post probably means bugger all, it's just the way I see it!

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
It's alright saying there's a lot of clubs around Yorks/Lancs but plenty of those clubs still bring crap followings. Oldham always seem to bring comparitvely more than similar clubs.

Vale is nowhere fecking near anywhere so it's easy to say 'if we had loads of local games we'd be much more massive than them' but that's not how it works.
I never said if we had more local games we would be massive if you read what i put, lets take this season then Oldham took 127 to Gills yet Joethe gill says that is decent number ? , a 43 mile trip to Bradford they took 685 , again not great.
The ticket allocations at Bury and Rochdale swell the numbers clearly, our allocation for a 15 mile trip to Crewe is 2100, Burton 1200.
I have nowt against Oldham whatsoever just think 5 mile local derbies makes them out to be something they aint, taking 6000 in 2 away games totalling about 20 miles is what each club in this division would take irrespective of league position.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I never said if we had more local games we would be massive if you read what i put, lets take this season then Oldham took 127 to Gills yet Joethe gill says that is decent number ? , a 43 mile trip to Bradford they took 685 , again not great.

I think they do well in comparison to those clubs in direct competition to them, and that's all I'm really going on. If we're just talking the numbers game then Charlton would be the 'best' we've had this season so far but their support is, and always has been, quite shit.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I think they do well in comparison to those clubs in direct competition to them, and that's all I'm really going on. If we're just talking the numbers game then Charlton would be the 'best' we've had this season so far but their support is, and always has been, quite shit.

Away support, yes.

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
The ticket allocations at Bury and Rochdale swell the numbers clearly, our allocation for a 15 mile trip to Crewe is 2100, Burton 1200.
I have nowt against Oldham whatsoever just think 5 mile local derbies makes them out to be something they aint, taking 6000 in 2 away games totalling about 20 miles is what each club in this division would take irrespective of league position.

685 is probably their lowest following for a while at ours and they were bottom of the league at the time. As Joe says the main point is they do better than similar clubs around them so they do have an objectively decent away support.

An average attendance is designed to lessen the impact of having 2 ridiculously close away games where you take thousands. If their away support was shite everywhere else then their average would be well down but they always seem to do alright.

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
685 is probably their lowest following for a while at ours and they were bottom of the league at the time. As Joe says the main point is they do better than similar clubs around them so they do have an objectively decent away support.

An average attendance is designed to lessen the impact of having 2 ridiculously close away games where you take thousands. If their away support was shite everywhere else then their average would be well down but they always seem to do alright.
It was a dreadful turnout at VP this season. TBH, it's been quite poor full stop for us in relation to previous seasons.

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Oldhams away support has been poor this season compared by their previous attempts, and they've had all
their local derbies already. Only 1,500 to Bury (2,000 last year) 1,900 to Rochdale (2,700 last year) and 2,000 to Bolton. Not magnificent. Average of 900 comes as a result of that. Less than 2,000 to Rochdale is pretty embarrassing, it's only 3 stops on the metrolink. Almost 200 less than we took for a closer journey, and it's their main rival unlike us with Bolton.

I know they are bottom but take us as an expample who looking at that graph, get the most similar numbers in terms of home fans to Oldham, and our average is 430 odd, this is despite long trips to Gillingham, MK Dons (night game), Coventry (night game), Walsall, Swindon.

We still have Oldham and Bolton away which should boost ours. Although if we keep losing every week it won't be much.

As a side note.. Rochdales is pathetic it really is.

Last edited:

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
Oldhams away support has been poor this season compared by their previous attempts, and they've had all
their local derbies already. Only 1,500 to Bury (2,000 last year) 1,900 to Rochdale (2,700 last year) and 2,000 to Bolton. Not magnificent. Average of 900 comes as a result of that. Less than 2,000 to Rochdale is pretty embarrassing, it's only 3 stops on the metrolink. Almost 200 less than we took for a closer journey, and it's their main rival unlike us with Bolton.

I know they are bottom but take us as an expample who looking at that graph, get the most similar numbers in terms of home fans to Oldham, and our average is 430 odd, this is despite long trips to Gillingham, MK Dons (night game), Coventry (night game), Walsall, Swindon.

We still have Oldham and Bolton away which should boost ours. Although if we keep losing every week it won't be much.

Can I just point out that Rochdale are not our rivals. A team in close proximity, yes.

We don't really have rivals in this division any more.

And as for the end of season average, I think this will be our lowest since Walkley_Owl starting tracking these.

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Can I just point out that Rochdale are not our rivals. A team in close proximity, yes.

We don't really have rivals in this division any more.

And as for the end of season average, I think this will be our lowest since Walkley_Owl starting tracking these.
For what it's worth I think you will still average more away than us this season. Although I couldn't say for certain, depends what happens on the pitch obviously. Oldham have decent away support for their gates (as do we in my opinion, if we are doing well). For comparable away attendances between the two this season we took 200 more to Dale than Oldham and more to Gillingham but we aren't talking many more..

We have won 4 in 22 away games which will always dent the motivation to travel away. Last season I think we averaged 630 away and Oldham 740, so higher than us but not by that many, our seasons were pretty much identical too (think we finished 3 points higher in 16th).

Rochdale's is hilariously bad both home and away. Despite being the best side and club on and off the pitch for years they still struggle for 2,000 home fans unless it's a derby match. 270 away attendance also lol!

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
A lot of bald people in this thread :fish:

4froale

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham

We've been a joke for the last 18 months but our away support is still right up there. There was never less than 2000 at Rochdale and even you yourself said Rochdale are known for fixing numbers. Also to compare us to yourselves last year is a bit daft, it was your first season back in this division and you were always going to take a few more fans than normal.

There's a lot of things I'd change of our club but definitely not our away support. 20 odd years in is division and it's still going strong.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Oldham definitely have the best away support out of the 3 for numbers and noise. The other twos numbers aren't bad at all either considering which teams you all have around you, that must piss you all off massively as I bet that's all you ever hear about and who most people support around you.

4froale

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
Oldham definitely have the best away support out of the 3 for numbers and noise. The other twos numbers aren't bad at all either considering which teams you all have around you, that must piss you all off massively as I bet that's all you ever hear about and who most people support around you.
It's not nice to go to Oldham town centre and see united and City shirts everywhere but at the same time it's hardly surprising. You can get a season ticket at city for a similar price than you can at Latics. You can hardly blame kids nowadays for supporting United/city when they are two of the best clubs in the world.

It's something that we have had to deal with for years but more so in recent times following city's dominance and it's a problem that could end the smaller clubs such as ourselves and Rochdale/bury.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
It's not nice to go to Oldham town centre and see united and City shirts everywhere but at the same time it's hardly surprising. You can get a season ticket at city for a similar price than you can at Latics. You can hardly blame kids nowadays for supporting United/city when they are two of the best clubs in the world.

It's something that we have had to deal with for years but more so in recent times following city's dominance and it's a problem that could end the smaller clubs such as ourselves and Rochdale/bury.

Sadly you could be right.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
My eldest sister once bought me a City shirt for my birthday by mistake (we are talking 1970 something), my mum put it on the wrong wash cycle and ruined it before I could wear it, now that's good parenting

DaleBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
For what it's worth I think you will still average more away than us this season. Although I couldn't say for certain, depends what happens on the pitch obviously. Oldham have decent away support for their gates (as do we in my opinion, if we are doing well). For comparable away attendances between the two this season we took 200 more to Dale than Oldham and more to Gillingham but we aren't talking many more..

We have won 4 in 22 away games which will always dent the motivation to travel away. Last season I think we averaged 630 away and Oldham 740, so higher than us but not by that many, our seasons were pretty much identical too (think we finished 3 points higher in 16th).

Rochdale's is hilariously bad both home and away. Despite being the best side and club on and off the pitch for years they still struggle for 2,000 home fans unless it's a derby match. 270 away attendance also lol!

Why does it bother you so much? We know our support is poor, we can't really do much about it. Your opinion would have some weight if bury were attracting thousands more than us, but you're not.

And why don't you try looking at the fixtures before you post? Since the middle of August, our away games have been at Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Millwall, Charlton, Swindon (midweek) and Coventry.

Are you expecting hundreds to go to them? Not everyone is able to take out so many loans for their football fix... Maybe I should have a word with The Chur to see if I can borrow a few quid.

Your away average is skewed by the game at Spotland.

Why are you so besotted with crowds? You sound like that **** on Twitter who spends all his time going on about how bury are far better supported than Dale or Oldham, when we're talking a couple of hundred at best and teams have only played 8 home games.

I'd be more concerned with the way your team and club are going rather than the fact you had more people in the ground than us, to be honest.

Another Walkley Owl

Reaction score
Supports
SWFC
Why does it bother you so much? We know our support is poor, we can't really do much about it. Your opinion would have some weight if bury were attracting thousands more than us, but you're not.

And why don't you try looking at the fixtures before you post? Since the middle of August, our away games have been at Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Millwall, Charlton, Swindon (midweek) and Coventry.

Are you expecting hundreds to go to them? Not everyone is able to take out so many loans for their football fix... Maybe I should have a word with The Chur to see if I can borrow a few quid.

Your away average is skewed by the game at Spotland.

Why are you so besotted with crowds? You sound like that **** on Twitter who spends all his time going on about how bury are far better supported than Dale or Oldham, when we're talking a couple of hundred at best and teams have only played 8 home games.

I'd be more concerned with the way your team and club are going rather than the fact you had more people in the ground than us, to be honest.
In fairness this an away attendances thread, therefore not unexpected that he's talking about away attendances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV