League One Season Review

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Tiny bit early I guess with one game still to be played but hey ho.

BEST PERFORMANCE:

All of Bury's semi decent performances came pre mid October, we've been utterly crap ever since. With that in mind, I'd say Sheff U away where we won 3-1, we were hard to break down all afternoon and frustrated the Blades, but we scored midway through the second half. Que the Sheffield United kitchen sink.. They were awarded a dubious outside of the box penalty award at about 75 minutes which was buried by Sharp. Think everyone would have been happy with a draw at that point but up pops Joe Riley with an absolute bolt into the top corner with about 5 minutes to spare! It got even better about 5 minutes later when Leon got on the end of a long ball and lobbed the keeper... Those were the days :(

WORST PERFORMANCE

Where do I even start with this one? Luckily I'm at Uni most of the year so have probably avoided some of our utterly inept performances (Chesterfield last week being one I'm told).. But Bury don't do things in halfs, we either play well, or really really shit.. Probably due to having no plan B. Noteworthy mentions go to Port Vale away, Walsall at home, Wigan away, Rochdale away or Barnsley away. They were all as bad as each other.

BEST OPPOSITION

Didn't go to Coventry away luckily (L6-0) but I imagine they put in a good account of themselves that day . Wigan were quality 2 times we met them in the league but crap both times we met them in the cup.. Strange.. Oldham actually looked decent when we played them in August. Probably going to have to give it to Wigan for their 3-0 win against us, although we were inept they completely controlled the game and it was a very professional performance from them.

WORST OPPOSITION

If only we could nominate ourselves.. From the games I've actually seen.. genuinely can't think of one really the only team we have properly battered this season was Colchester at home but they were 2-0 up and looking for more before they got their CB sent off... Maybe Southend will get this award tomorrow who knows.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Can only be one really can't there.. Burton Albion, absolutely the right way to to about your business. Spend within your means, slowly get a settled side together, get a bit of momentum going and this is what happens, two successive promotions from leagues they were never really fancied in. Worthy mentions also to Walsall, Gillingham and Rochdale.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

*thinks of club throwing money at it only to finish lower mid table* nope.. can't really think... Barnsley were a shoe in for this award ealier on in the season but they have well and truly got their shit together in the last 5 months so they've escaped this award. Next in line was probably Scunthorpe, they have done exactly what we've done and thrown a bit of cash at it but found themselves losing 5-0 to the likes of Blackpool. Difference being their chairman opened his eyes and sacked their manager, and they are now going for the play-offs. I'd be inclined to say Bury given the team we have when everyone's actually fit, but Sheff U can't really be overlooked.. What I'd assume is the biggest budget in the league and what everyone thought was a great manager.. Not even going to make the play offs.. Shocking really. Blades fans must be sick.

BEST GOAL SCORED/CONCEDED

For best goal scored, Joe Riley's thunderbolt at Sheff U, no other goals really stick out like that one.

For conceded (Colchester fans will be glad they've let in so many now ;)).. Seem to remember a Southend player scoring a good goal against us in the away game, Payne I think. Walsall scored a couple of decent goals at our place too, decent counter attacks.

Feel free to add any other categories.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
BEST PERFORMANCE:

Destroying Sheffield United 4-0 on the opening day. We were awesome.

WORST PERFORMANCE

I've only seen 2 away games and we were alright in both (Walsall and Southend) so it has to be a home game. We've got a bloody good home record this season until lately, so I've got to pick one of the latter games so it's a toss up between Walsall and Port Vale at home. Goals gifted away and a sadly flat performance. Regular away attendees would probably look at any of the treks to Fleetwood, Oldham, Blackpool or Barnsley - we were apparently gash in all of them.

BEST OPPOSITION

Probably Walsall at their place. The best we had at Priestfield were Peterborough.

WORST OPPOSITION

It's Crewe.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Clearly Burton. No stand out players (unlike Walsall and ourselves, other potential overachievers) but they've still done incredibly well.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Sheffield United, Doncaster and Peterborough should all be 6-10 places higher than they are.

My favourite was Rory Donnellys chip against Fleetwood, but Dacks belter against Sheff Utd on opening day runs it close

I tend not to consider any goal scored against us as 'best', but Lee Novaks for Chesterfield probably gets the nod.

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Bury were a joke that day when we beat you 6-0, your keeper was terrible. Every shot on target was a goal, I don't think he made one save that day.

We were decent but nothing special that day.

THE TERRACEMAN

Reaction score
Supports
BURTON ALBION
Think I will wait until tomorrow before I write anything.
Mind whatever happens it has been an amazing season.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
BEST PERFORMANCE

In a year where we're going to finish in the top six despite rarely rising above 'solid' for much of the season, it's probably apt that our best performance was a goalless draw against a ten man Wigan. We did everything but score and should count ourselves unlucky that we didn't do the double over them this season.

WORST PERFORMANCE

The 1-0 defeat at Bradford was very poor and did not convince me of our mettle against the better sides in the division, but our absolute worst performance this season had to be the 2-0 loss to Oxford in the JPT. We didn't string two passes together all evening.

BEST OPPOSITION

A lot of sides beat us at the Den early in the season, but only Cov tore us apart. They were clinical and I was sure they would go up this season after that performance.

WORST OPPOSITION

So many. This league is terrible. Swindon were something else, though. Reminiscent of John Barnes' Tranmere Rovers, they were that poor.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Burton Albion. Not even a contest, really, is it?

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Sheffield United. Biggest crowds, biggest budget, big fucking flops.

Aiden O'Brien's individual effort at Crewe or Ben Thompson's volley at home to Shrewsbury.

Best goal against us was easily Adam Armstrong's 35 yard half volley for Cov at the Den.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

1. BEST PERFORMANCE:

Excluding beating Burnley in the cup I would say the devastating performance at home to Doncaster, won 3-0, missed a penalty and their keeper had a world class performance, could of scored 8 easily and the football was the best I've seen from a Vale side, Andoh tore them to pieces, Uche battered their defence (at one point a Donny player tried to rugby tackle him and got dragged along as he clutched his leg!) quality performance although the win against Wigan and Sheffield United deserve special mentions.

WORST PERFORMANCE

Exeter in the cup, Millwall away and Wigan away deserve a mention but the 4-0 home loss against Burton was an absolute disgrace. Total bottle job and not one player could come out of it with credit. We just completely folded and some of the defending for the goals was comical. Anthony Grant heading past Alnwick who was six yards off his line from a free kick summed up the day.

BEST OPPOSITION

Millwall when they came to VP were very competent at a time when we were very solid at home. Wigan in the away performance also were a class above the rest of the division.

WORST OPPOSITION

Doncaster, Colchester and Crewe were all very very poor (unsurprisingly the bottom 3!) Doncaster possibly the worst. Shrewsbury were pretty dire at VP too. Didn't have a shot on target until five minutes from the end!

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Burton, if not the lowest budget very close to being the lowest budget and hopefully will be a Championship side this time tomorrow. Had Leicester not won the Premier League then they'd probably be more fuss about this fairytale considering they are competing against the likes of Sheffield United, Millwall, Wigan etc with massive budgets in comparison. To think they could be hosting Villa and Newcastle next season as a league fixture is nuts!

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Sheffield United, big name manager, huge budget, some quality additions, I thought they'd waltz it this season. Really really poor both games against us and seem to be stuck at this level!

Sam Kelly v Coventry was a stunner, even better considering their keeper was making save after save (including one of the best I've ever seen)

My favourite though was Louis Dodds goal v Gills at home in August. Great build up play, Grant lifts a precision pass onto the chest of Moore who chests it down for Dodds to drill home across the keeper. After years of Adams football it was quite a sexy goal that!

For conceded I can't think of many great ones, bearing in mind we usually concede of set pieces! Madison scored a decent one for Coventry but that was a deflection so I'd say Duffy for Burton who cut inside and bent a sweet one in the top corner.

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
BEST PERFORMANCE:

The 6-0 against Swindon at home was pretty good, we absolutely tore them to shreds and could have had even more. The 3-0 win away at Chesterfield was very good, we played very well and it was a great victory.

WORST PERFORMANCE

The 4-0 home loss to Peterborough, we were absolutely pathetic that day and were deservedly smashed. Our defending was nothing sort of abysmal.

BEST OPPOSITION

Bradford without a shadow of a doubt. They played us of the park at GP and won 2-0 and then edged a tight encounter at VP.

WORST OPPOSITION

Swindon were horrendous, I think their keeper and poor tactics were a big reason for the huge result though. Donny were absolutely shocking both times we played them, they didn't really offer anything in either of the games we played.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

As everyone else says, Burton.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Well it's Sheff United. Brought in a manager with a proven success rate, have one of the best managers in the league and still fucked it up. I think their lack of ability to succeed goes a lot deeper than just the manager though, there is just an aura of failure at that club.

For best goal scored, Kevin Van Veen's away at Oldham was pretty good. Took on two of their men, put it through the last defenders legs and then dinked the keeper. Gary McSheffrey's away at Chesterfield was also pretty nice, a sweetly taken volley with his weak foot.

For conceded, I am easily forgetting one but I can't remember a particularly good goal scored against us this season.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
BEST PERFORMANCE:

We haven't played well in any game this season, the better performances have been bang average. The rest have ranged from terrible to abysmal. I'll have to go with the home draw with Wigan. We stood toe to toe with the best team in the league, which was impressive given the form and gulf in talent between the two sides. That was close to a good performance as we managed and we were still fortunate to get a draw.

WORST PERFORMANCE

Oh boy, so many to choose from. I could easily pick any one of 30-35 here. The crowning glory of this god forsaken season has to be the 3-0 hammering at Port Vale. Local rivals, relegation on the line. Go down 1-0 inside 2 minutes, concede 2 late in and only managed 1 shot on target in the entire game. Given what was at stake, that was probably the worst and most unacceptable performance I've ever seen from a Crewe side.

BEST OPPOSITION

Hard to say. League One has been largely terrible. Some sides have had 1 decent game, only to not play well in the return fixture. Some teams have battered us won handsomely, but they didn't have to get out of first gear to do so, so it's hard to properly evaluate them. Based on what I've seen, the best 2 teams we've faced were Posh and Coventry. Both mauled us in both games against them. They out scored us over the 4 games by a 12 goal margin and it could have been double that.

WORST OPPOSITION

Probably Blackpool. They beat us in both games, but they looked awful. They were just lucky we were worse on both occasions. They looked every bit like a relegation team and I should know, I've watched one all season.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Easily Burton. I had them pegged down as Mid table finishers at best. The job JFH and Clough have done, not to mention the players(Similar to Leicester, taking a bunch of journeymen and misfits and moulding them into a good side), who have stayed consistent and kept winning despite the detractors. Nothing against Walsall, who are a close 2nd, but I do hope Burton go up tomorrow. What an amazing achievement that would be for them.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Joint winners here, Sheff U and Coventry. Both have individuals that are amongst the best in the league, and I can't work out why both haven't got their shit together, especially given how poor this league has been and how experienced their respective managers are. These 2 should have been in the play offs at least.

Scored a couple of nice goals this season. Ryan Lowes lob against Colchester was sublime. Ryan Colcloughs consolation against Posh was also a stunner.

Conceded? Probably Tom Smiths goal for Swindon at Gresty Road. Young lad, not long on as a sub, cracks in a brilliant 25 yard strike. Brilliant finish.

THE TERRACEMAN

Reaction score
Supports
BURTON ALBION
Unbelievable season, would never of dreamt it possible.
BEST PERFORMANCE
Coventry 2-0 away
WORST PERFORMANE
Millwall 0-2 away
BEST OPPOSITION
Probably Walsall
WORST OPPOSITION
Colchester be a country mile
BIGGEST OVER ACHIEVERS
Us
Mark Duffy v Fleetwood but for shear importance and drama it has to be Tom Naylors 93rd minute winner v Gills.
Conceded , there have not been too many but Walsal'ls first goal at the Bescot was a well worked team goal.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
Sheffield United's season review: Started very badly, didn't get much better. Pleased its over.

As for everyone else I've mot seen enough to comment but good luck to Burton in the Championship.

Dayman

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Unbelievable season, would never of dreamt it possible.
BEST PERFORMANCE
Coventry 2-0 away
WORST PERFORMANE
Millwall 0-2 away
BEST OPPOSITION
Probably Walsall
WORST OPPOSITION
Colchester be a country mile
BIGGEST OVER ACHIEVERS
Us
Mark Duffy v Fleetwood but for shear importance and drama it has to be Tom Naylors 93rd minute winner v Gills.
Conceded , there have not been too many but Walsal'ls first goal at the Bescot was a well worked team goal.

To be totally lazy I'm agreeing with him.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
BEST PERFORMANCE:

I genuinely can't think of one. Even all our wins were pretty shit. Probably go for when we beat Colchester 3-2 after being 2-0 down late on.

WORST PERFORMANCE

Spoilt for choice here but Port Vale away is a winner. Thankfully I was in Scotland so I missed such a wretched display.

BEST OPPOSITION

Anyone can look better than what they are when they play Crewe.

WORST OPPOSITION

Bearing in mind I'm going from the games I've seen this season, then definitely Shrewsbury. If they're to progress they need to sack Mellon, he's wasted a decent budget on utter crap. Special mention to Blackpool, Chesterfield, Oldham, Fleetwood and Rochdale too. Though Rochdale can't be that bad if they finished in a good position.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Burton Albion, credit to the league, credit to ambition, credit to sides who don't spunk their funding on a white elephant Category 2 Academy. I hope they do very well in the Championship next season.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Sheffield United hands down, what a state of a football club. To think they were often one of the most feared sides in the second tier under Warnock. Now they're an average third tier club. I feel sorry for their loyal supporters as it's a fantastic club that should be a lot better off. Dishonourable mention to Doncaster as well for somehow getting relegated on their budget.

Best goal scored: Certainly not a goal from Marcus "3 yard tap in off the shin" Haber. Ryan Lowe lobbing the keeper at Colchester maybe?

Best goal conceded: I'm going for best on a comical perspective. So much choice, but Scunthorpe's third goal against us the other week was next level shit. Special mention to George Ray for getting tackled by the sun against Bradford allowing them to score, the utter waste of space.

Last edited:

NightHiker

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
BEST PERFORMANCE:
4-1 at home vs Donny, real belief we could stay up that day. The 1-0 away at Cov also a real backs to the wall performance.

WORST PERFORMANCE
Too many to choose from - in terms of scoreline and total absence from the game, the 5-0 defeat to Wigan. Losing 3-2 at home to bottom side Crewe having been 2-0 up also deserves a mention.

BEST OPPOSITION
Although they didn't take 6 points from us, Wigan played like a team well above League One.

WORST OPPOSITION
Guess this should go to Bradford by default as we beat them home and away, but thought Oldham were pretty mediocre in both games we played against them.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS
Going to say Walsall for this one, I know most people are saying Burton but to go from mid table to challengers at the top without any promotion momentum is impressive.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS
Obviously Sheffield United, but Peterborough and Doncaster are worth a mention

Scored by us, Gilbey and Lee against Wigan. Genuinely can't remember a screamer being scored against us (yes, out of all 99 goals), most were just from defensive errors.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I'm only judging this based on teams I have seen live.

BEST PERFORMANCE
I was pretty unlucky with the matches I went to this season so probably our 2-1 win at Peterborough (although they were rotten at the time)
WORST PERFORMANCE
Jesus this could be a list of half a dozen but we were particularly inept against Millwall at the Den. Our Football Manager esque free signings were on show that day, Henrik Ojamaa, Bangoura et all, utterly inept.
BEST OPPOSITION
Only because they were least worst but probably Sheffield United
WORST OPPOSITION
Shrewsbury or Chesterfield.
BIGGEST OVER ACHIEVERS
Burton - Amazed they got promoted, they were one of many mediocre teams I have seen this season.
BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS
Got to be the 'bigger' teams, Sheffield United and Coventry. How Mowbray didn't even get the sky blues into the play-offs is staggering.
Max Power's for Wigan in their stroll at the CG

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
BEST PERFORMANCE
4-1 home win against the steady and competent Southend. The game that raised genuine hopes of a late playoff dash. Beating the Blades for the first time ever was also pretty good.

WORST PERFORMANCE
As has become a Dale tradition, this occurred at Oakwell. Taking 1 point from 6 against Crewe isn't good, either.

BEST OPPOSITION
Wigan. Far too much class at Spotland, and far too much nouse at the DW.

WORST OPPOSITION
Sorry, but Bury were woeful at Spotland. Young Lawlor in goal kept the score down that day.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS
Burton, obviously. Then probably Walsall and ourselves.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS
The obvious suspects - Sheffield United and Coventry. A mention also for Peterborough, who also has a mediocre season for a well-resourced club.

Happened 16 minutes apart, with Callum Camps and Aaron Holloway trading worldies at Boundary Park. Mention also for Calvin Andrew's effort at Vale Park.

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
BEST PERFORMANCE:
Chesterfield Away, Comfortable Win at a ground we never do well at.

WORST PERFORMANCE
Port Vale Away. One of those games where you knew Robins was losing it. Somehow Vale only got a draw.

BEST OPPOSITION

Of the games i saw, nobody stood out. if Southend could Score, they would be about the best.

WORST OPPOSITION
Barnsley, obviously before they decided to be decent and pip us to the play-offs. Their "we're f***ing s***" Chant in the Second half made me laugh.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Burton, who else? Go about their business quietly and have loads of Midlands Derbies to look forward to.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS
Peterborough with their Budget and squad.

Gary McSheffrey's First against Chesterfield, whilst i'm sat there muttering "Luxury Player. Don't need him". Best Conceded goal, no idea.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Best performance.

Bradford at home and Peterborough away

Worst performance

Shrewsbury at home and Crewe away.

Best opposition

Millwall

Worst opposition

Doncaster/Chesterfield.

Biggest overachievers

Burton

Biggest underachievers

US

Best goals scored and conceded

No idea can't remember any

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Best performance.

Bradford at home and Peterborough away

Worst performance

Shrewsbury at home and Crewe away.

Best opposition

Millwall

Worst opposition

Doncaster/Chesterfield.

Biggest overachievers

Burton

Biggest underachievers

US

What a miserable bastard

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Best performance.

2nd half home to Bradford

Worst performance

Millwall, Scunthorpe away

Best opposition

Gillingham

Worst opposition

Shrewsbury/Chesterfield.

Biggest overachievers

Burton

Biggest underachievers

Blades

GFC4EVA

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
BEST PERFORMANCE
Sheffield utd opening day, think no matter who we played that day we would have won we were unstoppable

WORST PERFORMANCE
Probably barnsley away from what I've seen this season

BEST OPPOSITION

Walsall at home 2nd half there were fantastic and played us of the park.
They are my tip for the play offs

WORST OPPOSITION
Fleetwood and crewe, both awful vs us at priestfield

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Has to be Burton, for a club their size what they have achieved is unbelievable, beats yeovils promotion by miles

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS
Sheffield utd, thought that with Adkins in charge that this was finally the year they went up

Got 3 scored tough to pick just one
Dack vs sheffield United opening day
Donnelly vs Fleetwood
Osadebe vs bury

Conceded
Novak chesterfield

SMH

Reaction score
Supports
Wigan
BEST PERFORMANCE
Sheffield United in February. Superb away performance, I think it was the first time Sheff Utd didn't score at home in over a year. Our defence and midfield were brilliant that day.

WORST PERFORMANCE
Blackpool at home in December. They outthought us and outbattled us. The whole ground booed at FT and people questioned whether Caldwell should keep his job after the game. We then went and put on a 20 game unbeaten run straight after so maybe it was for the best!

BEST OPPOSITION
For me it was Burton. Did a job on us at the DW and matched us at the Pirelli. Under both JFH and Clough well organised and rock solid at the back. A proper team!

WORST OPPOSITION
Shrewsbury, both games we've played against them I thought they were awful. Only decent player was their keeper.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS
Goes without saying that it's Burton. All the reasons are stated by others above.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS
Got to be Sheffield United for obvious reasons, although Tony Mowbray deserves some credit for spectacularly self destructing Coventry's season after getting turned over by Burton at the Ricoh.

Best goal scored would be Yanic Wildschut against Crewe in the JPT. If that doesn't count then I'll say Max Power at Swindon.
Best goal conceded has to be Sam Mantom's absolute beauty against us at the Bescot. What a goal that was!

King Kev

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
BEST PERFORMANCE:

This should have been our first home win against Swindon, we were tearing them apart on the hour and 2-0 up and looking for more goals. Que prick of a manager takes a striker off for a midfielder and it ended 2-2. As I was not at the Sheff United away game I will plump for the home game, coming after the 6-0 defeat at Coventry it was a great battling performance from every player on the pitch that day.

WORST PERFORMANCE

Coventry away wins hands down, our prick of a manager dropped our best defender and played the useless Brown at centre half. 3-0 after 20 mins and 4-0 at half time, fucking pathetic.

BEST OPPOSITION

Wigan could have beaten us by a rugby score, once more though the prick's stupid team selection made things easy.

WORST OPPOSITION

Crewe at gigg lane, our prick of a manager started with four central midfielders and a central midfielder at right back whilst having two wingers and a full back on the bench. Crewe were dreadful and played for a 0-0 draw despite being desperate for points, they still nearly nicked a win.

BIGGEST OVERACHIEVERS

Burton Albion and special mention to Dale.

BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS

Us, though we are told we have achieved alot this season by Flitcroft who was baffled when our crowds went down following some truly turgid football, humiliating defeats and frankly baffling team selections.

As I wasnt at Bramhall Lane I will go with Jones vs Sheffield United, though Lowe's lovely mazey run and finish vs Posh was good to watch as well.

For conceded I couldn't give a shite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!