Luton vs Cambridge... AGAIN

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
No surprise there isn't much talk of this one as we meet again for seemingly the 1 millionth time in recent years. To be honest it's getting a little bit boring now!

We are going to struggle with suspensions with Hylton out Marriott is going to have to really step up and provide the attacking threat as let's face it, Vassell is really no replacement for Hylton. Mullins also a big miss IMO given Ikpeazu is a big lad and the combo of him and Cuthbert have dealt with strikers like him with relative ease of late, although Rea isn't exactly a bad replacement.

Even Jones has a touch line ban for comments to the ref after the Wycombe game. (We really need to sort the discipline out and for me that's starts with a Jones dialling it back from 11 on occasion).

Really think we will struggle to win this without Hylton to be honest, don't think a draw is a particularly great result but think that's it will be.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
To be honest the last two season's have reverted to normal a bit with no cup ties, so the good news is we're probably due to both make the playoffs and meet each other!

Hard to be positive when we go to Luton due to our poor record there over the last 8 years, even with their suspensions. We weren't great against Blackpool and were then very poor against Mansfield so it looks like we've started coming down the other side of the peak, and we'll have to improve considerably to get a result. I'd be very happy with a draw.

Barring any surprise comebacks from injury (Halliday, please) the team largely picks itself with us not having many options, the only real question being who starts in central midfield. I'd have liked it to be Lewis last week and I'd like it even more this week, but I suspect it won't be, he has to change something after last week though and that looks like the obvious choice unless he wants to put Wharton in for Roberts, but that'd be extremely harsh.

2-0 Luton.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Right, let's get the important stuff out the way first, what boozers are best from the train station to the ground? In all the fixtures we've played against each other I've never got the train in so any recommendations will be appreciated.

As for the game, I'm hoping for a reaction after two pretty poor performances, Clark has been poor of late so I'd like to see the new lad Lewis come in for him, also hoping Halliday will start but that seems unlikely, we're really missing him, think rest chooses it self.

Not sure if we've sold out or not but if we don't it's a poor showing.

KTF

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Brewery Tap is where we go, less than a 10 minute walk from the station, taxis right outside, best pub in the town centre IMO. George II is the closest to the station and isn't completely terrible, and the one we've been "allocated" is about 5 minutes walk from the Brewery Tap in the wrong direction to the ground, and is a bit of a shit tip from memory. The Wetherspoons doesn't let away fans in but it's not hard to get around that, that's the nearest pub in the town centre to the ground.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
I agree with Tom - surely we're fated to meet in the play-offs. A win for either side would help get the season back on track and a draw with a good performance would achieve the same............until the next loss. I'd be happy with a draw but travel in hope of more, especially if injuries allow something near to our best 11. We'll have a decent bench if we can start with:

Norris
Halliday, Legge, Roberts, Carroll
Dunne, Lewis
Mingoia, Berry, Dunk
Ikpeazu

I suspect we won't sell the last few tickets.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
We haven't ever won at Luton in the football league so about time we sorted that out, what with finally winning at Stevenage and Crawley this season. Our best chance probably what with their injury issues up top, though we are still suffering our own injury "crisis".

I'm not going, my wife is now 39 weeks gone and looks fit to burst. I'm not taking that risk. Could have a baby Uche if we get the right result tomorrow. ;-)

I'm not sure I'd start Lewis tomorrow, I'd be tempted to go for Clark again as it might be a bit of an ask to stick him in away at a play off challenger. And yes we've had a couple of poorer performances but I'd like to think they were a blip rather than anything more serious - lets back them once more before changing it.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The Bricklayers is a decent boozer too very near the station and is away fan friendly as long as you are sensible (if memory serves anyway, I could be wrong).

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
We haven't ever won at Luton in the football league so about time we sorted that out, what with finally winning at Stevenage and Crawley this season. Our best chance probably what with their injury issues up top, though we are still suffering our own injury "crisis".

I'm not going, my wife is now 39 weeks gone and looks fit to burst. I'm not taking that risk. Could have a baby Uche if we get the right result tomorrow. ;-)

I'm not sure I'd start Lewis tomorrow, I'd be tempted to go for Clark again as it might be a bit of an ask to stick him in away at a play off challenger. And yes we've had a couple of poorer performances but I'd like to think they were a blip rather than anything more serious - lets back them once more before changing it.
My other half isn't far behind yours laker, 32 weeks, Amber or jeziah!!!
Dion or les lee(philpot)
Waiting until see pops.

cheers for boozers fellas.

KTF

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
.....I'm not going, my wife is now 39 weeks gone and looks fit to burst. I'm not taking that risk. Could have a baby Uche if we get the right result tomorrow. ;-)...........
I think Leon will get THE goal and would be more fitting than Uche. Just hope that O.G. Pelly doesn't settle it.

.............I'm not sure I'd start Lewis tomorrow, I'd be tempted to go for Clark again as it might be a bit of an ask to stick him in away at a play off challenger. And yes we've had a couple of poorer performances but I'd like to think they were a blip rather than anything more serious - lets back them once more before changing it.
I could go with that but I'd be happy to see a bit more experience in "the Derry Way," coming off the bench for the last 30 mins or available if needed sooner. If Dunk starts, he won't last and I might consider Maris starting with Dunk for the second half but, whatever we start with, I think we'll need the likes of Dunne/Berry/Clarke at their peak for a strong finish against a soft centred Luton midfield with no wingers.

Anyway, heading off for a curry and beers with my Luton buddies. Life is good ....... and I'll get to go home.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Fair enough, I can see the argument either way. We'll know what Derry thinks shortly.

Congrats Arbury, 2 more U's to add to the army this year then. :)

huddsmoose

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
So we go with:

Norris
Halliday, Roberts, Legge, Carroll
Dunne, Newton
Mingoia, Berry, Dunk
Ikpeazu

Looks strong and attacking. Great news that dunk and halliday are back. Just hope they're fully fit and we attack with some pace and width.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I see we've cut out the middle man this week and just decided to start off with 10 men with Cook "playing".

Perhaps Jones taking our fairly decent record with 10 a little too far.

huddsmoose

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Dammit. Sounds like we were doing quite well and then caught out by a counter attack. Annoying.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
IMG_0312.JPG

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Played well really considering who we were missing. First half I thought we deserved the 1-0 lead, second half we really came under the cosh and I thought the loss of Hylton really showed as he is so often our out ball in situations like that. Having said that, no slight on Vassell who did very well.

Despite all the pressure I thought Berry shot over the bar was the only real clear cut chance we conceded and we still created better openings than that on the counter.

Can see why Cambridge have been on a good run of late, when they get a head of steam up dealing with Ikpeazu is a real difficult task. Pins centre halves really well and plays it off well.

The result we really needed, need to use this run of home games coming up to build a head of steam up.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Like I said earlier, I wasn't at the game but I don't think we deserved anything today. I'm well aware that listening to the radio comm is no alternative to being at the match but one can get a rough idea of the unfolding action, and to me it sounded like any below par performance from us. That's three games in a row now after that little impressive run we were on, and I'm getting the feeling that the FA Cup has been our undoing once again.

So, that's three games against decent opposition and we've only picked up one point, and there's a good chance it'll be 1 in 4 with Plymouth coming up. No chance of making the play offs if we can't pick up any points against the better sides, not that I thought we were going to anyway.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Couldn't make this one either. Sounds like we were under pressure for some parts but held up well. Vassell seems to be really staking a claim for a regular place which is very welcome.

Perhaps most impressive was that, Cuthbert aside, out keeper and back line were aged 21, 20, 22 and 18. Real good group of young defenders coming through if you add Musonda and Famewo in there too.

7 points out of 9 against Crewe and Wycombe away and Cambridge at home. Make that 10 out of 12 if we beat Cheltenham at home Tuesday and that's a great little run. I will however be massively pissed off we dropped points at Wycombe where we really should have won.

4 points off of the top 3 with a game in hand. Come on you Hats.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Luton impressed me today. Play football the right way and without the best striker in the league.

For us, we huffed and puffed second half but never had that cutting edge to open Luton up. We lack a proper centre forward and by that I mean a Hylton. A striker that will bag you 15/20 goals a season, along with a tricky pacey winger.

I think Luton will finished third and we'll probably finish 10th.

Priority has to be a proper striker come the summer window.

BelizeHatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
How quickly it can change. A few weeks ago it all seemed done and dusted, something like 9 points off the Top three and a world away and now suddenly its four points with a game in hand at home to a bottom three team on Tuesday - sets up that away win nicely:bg::blush:

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
As I had a little dig at him above I think it's only fair to say that Cook was actually pretty decent today and actually had an impact on the game. Penalty aside he played some decent passes and made some neat turns out of trouble into space. More of the same please!

Was impressed by the 2 full backs today as well, young but looking really promising but for me the stand out was Pelly. Saw some of that maturity that Jones had been talking about today, seemed a lot more vocal in the middle there which he just wasnt even a few months ago. Clearly loved playing the role he did today, was a top quality performance for me.

Last edited:

Bosox

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Probably the most impressive performance/result at home all season (I know they beat Doncaster 3-1 early in the season but that was a weird game). Cambridge piled on the pressure for a period in the 2nd half but the defence held out well and throughout Luton managed to carry a threat at the other end.

It really makes such a big difference a) having two decent fullbacks rather than SO'D and Potts b) having Pelly and Smith in midfield instead of Olly Lee.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
weird game today, everything just seemed a bit flat, we weren't pressing in the first half like usual and the atmosphere was crap from both sets of fans, I'm struggling to remember either team even having a shot on target until luton broke up field from our free kick and scored, they had a wee bit of pressure until half time from that point though.

2nd half we hugged and puffed but didn't really work the keeper enough to warrant anything. We desperately lacked pace and dunk didn't look fit enough to give us that.

I actually thought luton we're pretty darn average, granted they were missing a few but I can't see a top three place judging by that.

Great to see Halliday back, a definite positive from today.

KTF

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
How's marriott been doing?

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
How's marriott been doing?

He's had a difficult second season, he missed a few big chances early on which I think knocked his confidence a bit. I also don't think our system suits him overly, we pack the middle of the pitch with no width to stretch play which often leaves him with few gaps to run in to.

Having said that, the last couple of months he's played his way in to some very decent form, scored something like 6 in his last 8 or 9 with the same number of assists too and his all-round play has been much better. He's a quality player but is still young and learning his trade.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I didn't think we were too bad overall yesterday, it just confirmed what we all knew before which is that we are lacking a real threat inside the box when Berry isn't on his game (which he hasn't been since the first half of the Leeds game now).

Game was pretty even until the goal, Luton worked it well but it's absolutely inexcusable to concede a goal from your own corner, could see when their player was about 10 yards from the halfway line he needed taking out but we didn't get near him. We then proceeded to be awful for the rest of the half and we're lucky it was only one in the end.

We then came out looking like the team we were a few weeks ago, caused Luton all sorts of problems and should have had a penalty, but what chances we did get we fluffed hopelessly, don't think the keeper made a save, and we just generally looked like having no threat when the ball was crossed in, that is where we really miss Barry Corr.

No complaints about the penalty, stonewall and silly from Legge who had a poor game, although he may have been concussed in his defence. Game died after that and again Luton should have had another, certainly wouldn't have reflected the balance of play though, 2-0 didn't either really.

Norris flapped a lot in the first half, he's still got a lot of learning to do. Legge as above, Roberts continues to be the better centre half the last few weeks. Carroll is an absolute liability defensively and how he wasn't sent off for that scissor kick in the second half I've no idea, need Taylor back ASAP. Halliday needs no words, we all know, if we had 11 Brad Halliday's we'd probably be top.

Mingoia was awful and Dunk evidently rushed back too soon, Dunne solid and Newton had a great game bar in front of goal where he should have scored for sure in the first half, he's frustrating as he's so close to being a good player, he just lacks the composure when it comes to the crunch, think his brain is thinking the right thing he just can't move his feet quick enough. Berry, bar the first few minutes of the second half, anonymous again, we desperately need him to find form and start taking the game by the scruff of the neck like he had been.

Uche huffed and puffed once more and did what he could despite being pulled all over the shop, again. 20 goal a season striker he is not but he has to be better in front of goal, especially with his head which is like a 50p piece inside the box. Williamson played well when he came on too, without really threatening the goal though.

Atmosphere was wank, home support has been mostly gash for years but the away support has really tailed off vocally in the last year too, disappointing. Not selling out too is absolutely shambolic.

Luton's back line looked suspect, but they play some nice stuff and you can see why Hylton thrives in that style of play, no doubt they'll be in the playoffs and if Carlisle continue to stutter they should have a shot at top 3.

Anything we can scrape next week is a bonus, then we've got 4 considerably easier games, where we now need to prove the theory we can only beat shite and pick up at least 10 points from those games before another 3 tough games after that. The next month won't make or break our season (unless we lose all 7) but it will probably give us a damn good idea. Sadly without a miraculous and triumphant return for Baz I fear 9th-12th and 7 or 8 points off beckons, if only we'd just picked up a couple more points in the first 7 weeks of the season..

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Let's be frank here. This was a must win game for Luton, with a match against runaway L2 leaders Cheltenham coming right up.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I didn't think we were too bad overall yesterday, it just confirmed what we all knew before which is that we are lacking a real threat inside the box when Berry isn't on his game (which he hasn't been since the first half of the Leeds game now).

Game was pretty even until the goal, Luton worked it well but it's absolutely inexcusable to concede a goal from your own corner, could see when their player was about 10 yards from the halfway line he needed taking out but we didn't get near him. We then proceeded to be awful for the rest of the half and we're lucky it was only one in the end.

We then came out looking like the team we were a few weeks ago, caused Luton all sorts of problems and should have had a penalty, but what chances we did get we fluffed hopelessly, don't think the keeper made a save, and we just generally looked like having no threat when the ball was crossed in, that is where we really miss Barry Corr.

No complaints about the penalty, stonewall and silly from Legge who had a poor game, although he may have been concussed in his defence. Game died after that and again Luton should have had another, certainly wouldn't have reflected the balance of play though, 2-0 didn't either really.

Norris flapped a lot in the first half, he's still got a lot of learning to do. Legge as above, Roberts continues to be the better centre half the last few weeks. Carroll is an absolute liability defensively and how he wasn't sent off for that scissor kick in the second half I've no idea, need Taylor back ASAP. Halliday needs no words, we all know, if we had 11 Brad Halliday's we'd probably be top.

Mingoia was awful and Dunk evidently rushed back too soon, Dunne solid and Newton had a great game bar in front of goal where he should have scored for sure in the first half, he's frustrating as he's so close to being a good player, he just lacks the composure when it comes to the crunch, think his brain is thinking the right thing he just can't move his feet quick enough. Berry, bar the first few minutes of the second half, anonymous again, we desperately need him to find form and start taking the game by the scruff of the neck like he had been.

Uche huffed and puffed once more and did what he could despite being pulled all over the shop, again. 20 goal a season striker he is not but he has to be better in front of goal, especially with his head which is like a 50p piece inside the box. Williamson played well when he came on too, without really threatening the goal though.

Atmosphere was wank, home support has been mostly gash for years but the away support has really tailed off vocally in the last year too, disappointing. Not selling out too is absolutely shambolic.

Luton's back line looked suspect, but they play some nice stuff and you can see why Hylton thrives in that style of play, no doubt they'll be in the playoffs and if Carlisle continue to stutter they should have a shot at top 3.

Anything we can scrape next week is a bonus, then we've got 4 considerably easier games, where we now need to prove the theory we can only beat shite and pick up at least 10 points from those games before another 3 tough games after that. The next month won't make or break our season (unless we lose all 7) but it will probably give us a damn good idea. Sadly without a miraculous and triumphant return for Baz I fear 9th-12th and 7 or 8 points off beckons, if only we'd just picked up a couple more points in the first 7 weeks of the season..
Best defence in the division statistically, although that has surprised me too. Worth nothing that our defence plus goalkeeper average age around 22 including Cuthbert in his 30s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!