Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2020/21

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Realistically there'll be no movement for him till after the playoffs anyway, here's to a swift exit.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Wild will more likely end up at Hartlepool than here.

Brown was never the long term solution for me but on the flip side we needed someone to see one season through to the next. Here we are again, another close season looking for a new manager, and the way the last few appointments have gone I have no confidence that our BoD will make a sound one.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Thank fuck for that. The result against FGR convinced most people he was a good manager, but 7 points from 9 games should never see a caretaker given the job permanently. Was dreading the transfer window, all his nonsense about moving training back to Barrow, and him conducting all his contract negotiations in the media.

I had heard talk that we were keeping tabs on Wild a few weeks back, but I think the playoffs complicate everything there.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Thank fuck for that. The result against FGR convinced most people he was a good manager, but 7 points from 9 games should never see a caretaker given the job permanently. Was dreading the transfer window, all his nonsense about moving training back to Barrow, and him conducting all his contract negotiations in the media.

I had heard talk that we were keeping tabs on Wild a few weeks back, but I think the playoffs complicate everything there.
Would that be the worst idea? Yes I know Manchester is more convenient, but it would maybe filter out the committed players from the not so committed ones.

Not quite sure how it would sit with me if Carlisle United players only spent a couple of hours every second Saturday actually in the city.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Would that be the worst idea? Yes I know Manchester is more convenient, but it would maybe filter out the committed players from the not so committed ones.

Not quite sure how it would sit with me if Carlisle United players only spent a couple of hours every second Saturday actually in the city.
I couldn't care less how often they come to Barrow. I get that it shows commitment, but why put a barrier in place that is unnecessary?

Training in Manchester has opened us up to a much larger market - if we suddenly only sign players willing to be based in Barrow, we will be back in the lower reaches of the National League in no time.

As it is, there's a few things that don't sit quite right with the club at the moment - I get the impression we're scaling back where we can.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I couldn't care less how often they come to Barrow. I get that it shows commitment, but why put a barrier in place that is unnecessary?

Training in Manchester has opened us up to a much larger market - if we suddenly only sign players willing to be based in Barrow, we will be back in the lower reaches of the National League in no time.

As it is, there's a few things that don't sit quite right with the club at the moment - I get the impression we're scaling back where we can.
Makes sense to me. Why do you need to train in the same city/town/village you play 90 minutes of football every fortnight. Smaller clubs have to take any advantage they can imo

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Jock Daily Record reporting Kelty Hearts manager Kevin Thomson as the front runner for our job

If you were going to try a Scottish manager I’d gone with Annan boss Peter Murphy.

He’s achieved couple of play offs with them which isn’t easy even at that level, he spent his playing career pretty much at Carlisle mostly as a first team player so while a manager in Scotland his contacts and knowledge of England, L1, L2 and non league will be vast. Plus Scottish knowledge now.

Kelly just had money and momentum in a weak league, be wary on that as a sign of good management.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Wild will more likely end up at Hartlepool than here.

Brown was never the long term solution for me but on the flip side we needed someone to see one season through to the next. Here we are again, another close season looking for a new manager, and the way the last few appointments have gone I have no confidence that our BoD will make a sound one.

Wild lives in Oldham and I read once that he wouldn't like to move home to manage someone else. Barrow would be ideal if you still train in Manchester.

That said, if the Shaymen get promoted you would think he would stay there

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Wild lives in Oldham and I read once that he wouldn't like to move home to manage someone else. Barrow would be ideal if you still train in Manchester.

I'd hope we'd be in for him so on that basis I hope they get dumped out early. Then it would be a choice of whether he wants to stay at a plucky outfit formed in 2008 or make the step up a division to a historical member of the great 92.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
If you were going to try a Scottish manager I’d gone with Annan boss Peter Murphy.

He’s achieved couple of play offs with them which isn’t easy even at that level, he spent his playing career pretty much at Carlisle mostly as a first team player so while a manager in Scotland his contacts and knowledge of England, L1, L2 and non league will be vast. Plus Scottish knowledge now.

Kelly just had money and momentum in a weak league, be wary on that as a sign of good management.

Or "Peter Murphy's Annan" as Radio Cumbria refer to them. Constantly. Their Twitter feed must mention them a couple of times a week, which is bizarre.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Hope your shite-arse club goes down again.
Once again you are coming across in a most negative manner.
Wishing ill on another club when others could same about FGR beggars belief.

Remember Dale Vince sacked two mangers: - Ady Pennock & Mark Cooper at exact time they secured a place in promotion play-offs. Therefore Rob Edwards would never be sure of his managerial position if Dale Vince considered FGR underperform despite being a Village Club playing against established big city clubs.

I understand Edwards secured a bumper promotion bonus from FGR but that will probably be dwarfed by his income at Watford, who will have Premiership parachute payments.
And of course the football world's current view of Rob Edwards is sky high. Always best to move onwards and upwards than wait about and let that view dip.

I say good luck Watford and good luck Rob next season.

FGR-Star

Reaction score
Supports
FGR

Remember Dale Vince sacked two mangers: - Ady Pennock & Mark Cooper at exact time they secured a place in promotion play-offs. Therefore Rob Edwards would never be sure of his managerial position if Dale Vince considered FGR underperform despite being a Village Club playing against established big city clubs.

I understand Edwards secured a bumper promotion bonus from FGR but that will probably be dwarfed by his income at Watford, who will have Premiership parachute payments.
And of course the football world's current view of Rob Edwards is sky high. Always best to move onwards and upwards than wait about and let that view dip.

Oh here is my Stalker Again.

I will say what I like Cretin. The way Watford have gone about this is sly beyond belief. Go read the facts and try to understand the context.

You have completely missed my point yet again, I do not begrudge Rob moving to a bigger club, I do begrudge the lack of respect to do this behind Dale’s back when he gave him his chance at Managing a league club and has always said just talk to him. Watford encouraged Rob to go behind Dale’s back and not communicate.

The fact that you see nothing wrong with this, says everything about your character.

Now go off and kiss Mansfied’s ass, who indecently look like they might not sell out their home allocation for a huge League 2 Playoff.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

I agree with you. It's a job at the end of the day and you have to take advantage while your stock is highest.

With the greatest of respect to Forest Green, I'd imagine league 1 is about their limit, whereas Watford have a realistic chance of returning to the Premier league.

Yes, it could have been handled better but would you tell your current employer that you are actively speaking to another employer? The trust would be broken.

Vince is a businessman and would have shown no loyalty to Edwards if things didn't go well in league one. He owes you nothing, he's got you promoted and now he's moving on to a job with better pay and potentially better prospects. If it were me I would do what's best for me and my family, sod the employer.

FGR-Star

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I agree with you. It's a job at the end of the day and you have to take advantage while your stock is highest.

With the greatest of respect to Forest Green, I'd imagine league 1 is about their limit, whereas Watford have a realistic chance of returning to the Premier league.

Yes, it could have been handled better but would you tell your current employer that you are actively speaking to another employer? The trust would be broken.

Vince is a businessman and would have shown no loyalty to Edwards if things didn't go well in league one. He owes you nothing, he's got you promoted and now he's moving on to a job with better pay and potentially better prospects. If it were me I would do what's best for me and my family, sod the employer.
Sod the employer!

Lovely attitude.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham

I’m fairly sure it’s against EFL rules to tap up the manager of another club while they’re under contract (not saying that it doesn’t happen or that this is an isolated case mind).

I’m very sure FGR would have given permission for Watford to talk to Edwards had they made an official approach. It’s not like they can’t afford the likely modest compensation.

FGR-Star

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I’m fairly sure it’s against EFL rules to tap up the manager of another club while they’re under contract (not saying that it doesn’t happen or that this is an isolated case mind).

I’m very sure FGR would have given permission for Watford to talk to Edwards had they made an official approach. It’s not like they can’t afford the likely modest compensation.
Exactly my point matey.

It seems the FGR-Stroud character cannot get this through his thick skull.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
an interesting outsider in the betting for our new manager job is England U-19 manager Ian Foster - who is a former Barrow player....

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green

Absolutely spot on. We would have definitely given Watford permission to speak to Edwards (and Kyle) if they’d made an approach. The compensation was 6 months of their salary apparently, which isn’t a lot for a club like that.

Both were contracted until May 24, and there was no clause allowing them to speak to another club without notifying FGR first. I don’t understand why Watford or our management team felt the need to behave in such an underhand way. We have a clearly stated policy that we will not stand in anyone’s way who want to progress their careers. It all seems pretty unnecessary.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
an interesting outsider in the betting for our new manager job is England U-19 manager Ian Foster - who is a former Barrow player....

On our list too apparently. Also briefly played for us back in the day.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Oh here is my Stalker Again.

I will say what I like Cretin. The way Watford have gone about this is sly beyond belief. Go read the facts and try to understand the context.

You have completely missed my point yet again, I do not begrudge Rob moving to a bigger club, I do begrudge the lack of respect to do this behind Dale’s back when he gave him his chance at Managing a league club and has always said just talk to him. Watford encouraged Rob to go behind Dale’s back and not communicate.

The fact that you see nothing wrong with this, says everything about your character.

Now go off and kiss Mansfied’s ass, who indecently look like they might not sell out their home allocation for a huge League 2 Playoff.
Vince is a sanctimonious c*** and deserves to be treated badly by everyone. Potentially the worst owner of a football club in the entirety of the UK. And that includes every division, going down to local primary school teams.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Absolutely spot on. We would have definitely given Watford permission to speak to Edwards (and Kyle) if they’d made an approach. The compensation was 6 months of their salary apparently, which isn’t a lot for a club like that.

Both were contracted until May 24, and there was no clause allowing them to speak to another club without notifying FGR first. I don’t understand why Watford or our management team felt the need to behave in such an underhand way. We have a clearly stated policy that we will not stand in anyone’s way who want to progress their careers. It all seems pretty unnecessary.
Christ, you can speak to whoever you want at any point of time. Fuck me, contract law and employment law needs to be taught in that shite arse-end of nowhere shithole in the Cotswold.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Christ, you can speak to whoever you want at any point of time. Fuck me, contract law and employment law needs to be taught in that shite arse-end of nowhere shithole in the Cotswold.

Not according to Watford you can’t, ironically.

In any case, whether this applies as a case of tapping up or not is irrelevant, it’s more the lack of common decency on show. Why not just do it in the correct way? We wouldn’t have stopped Edwards or Kyle speaking to them, and the interviews they gave to the press last week about being committed to the club and looking forward to next season whilst in the background being in talks with Watford weren’t brilliant either. Leaves a bad taste.

Got no problem with either Edwards or Kyle bettering themselves, if our next manager is successful they’ll probably be off pretty quickly too.

Last edited:

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
No different to the Exeter manager jumping ship for a bigger club/salary.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC

Interestingly Wild was 6/4 favourite for the Hartlepool job when i looked just before - and Evens favourite for the Barrow job.....

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds

The same website, the Sack Race, also has David Dunn at 8/1 and Michael Jolley at 16/1. The list means absolutely nowt at this stage.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Absolutely nothing to do with contract or employment law. It’s EFL rules.

You half-wit.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Don’t worry. He’s already contaminating the L1 forum on how Exeter are destined for the autos.

I’ll eat my own shit if that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!