Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2020/21

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Off he trotts…

If they were recruiting from this league I’d go for Wild though.

We've just handed him a five-year contract to ward off interest (it was actually from Oldham, but can't see anyone else stumping up for him this season).

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Just heard Curle speak on the radio. Got a good feeling he'll get us out of trouble but then I've had good vibes from four of the seven appointments under Raj, only Challinor did the business.

Couple of interesting comments. Curle says he wants the job full time but the interim bit is a trial period so he's desperate to get his ideas across quick. When he got asked if the squad are up to standard he said 'there's enough to get me started'. Spent a lot of time in Thailand, obviously eyeing a role in the UK diplomatic service there if things don't work out.

The bloke showed more enthusiasm and knowledge in that interview than Hartley ever showed in his time so gotta hope that vibe helps us back on the right track.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Not sure why Rotherham would be interested in Hurst, other than being a club legend as a player. Lets be honest his managerial credentials since leaving Shrewsbury don't read great. It would be like us getting John Mcdermott in as manager, something the fans always mention when the job is available, but realistically is unlikely to be a success, or at least a big risk for the owners.
Sacked at the one club at the same level as Rotherham after 14 games, winning just once.
Sacked at Scunny after 8 months
Took over Grimsby half way through a season with them several places above relegation and led them to 24th! Then only managed to finish 7th in non league. His one success in that time is winning three cup games on the trot and needing extra time for them all.

On Hurst's side, am sure it will be a dream to manage the club he spent his entire career at, in a league 2 divisions higher than where he is, on most probably much higher wages and next door to where he lives. On the downside it would be a risk, he could be out of a job in 6 months, when he he has security here, with owners who will do almost anything for him, and not sack him immediately if he goes on a bad run.

Hopefully Rotherham just look at the hard facts of his career since May 18, rather than the reasons behind it, as I'd be gutted to see him leave again. The last time he left us in roughly in this position and the next 5 seasons were horrendous and ultimately led us back to non-league, all be it we have different owners this time, but I'd rather not have to rely on finding another decent manager with the feel good factor around the club at the moment.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Hurst signed a new deal 2 weeks ago but the length wasn’t actually disclosed

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Not sure why Rotherham would be interested in Hurst, other than being a club legend as a player. Lets be honest his managerial credentials since leaving Shrewsbury don't read great. It would be like us getting John Mcdermott in as manager, something the fans always mention when the job is available, but realistically is unlikely to be a success, or at least a big risk for the owners.
Sacked at the one club at the same level as Rotherham after 14 games, winning just once.
Took over Grimsby half way through a season with them several places above relegation and led them to 24th! Then only managed to finish 7th in non league. His one success in that time is winning three cup games on the trot and needing extra time for them all.

On Hurst's side, am sure it will be a dream to manage the club he spent his entire career at, in a league 2 divisions higher than where he is, on most probably much higher wages and next door to where he lives. On the downside it would be a risk, he could be out of a job in 6 months, when he he has security here, with owners who will do almost anything for him, and not sack him immediately if he goes on a bad run.

Hopefully Rotherham just look at the hard facts of his career since May 18, rather than the reasons behind it, as I'd be gutted to see him leave again. The last time he left us in roughly in this position and the next 5 seasons were horrendous and ultimately led us back to non-league, all be it we have different owners this time, but I'd rather not have to rely on finding another decent manager with the feel good factor around the club at the moment.
I personally don’t think Rotherham will come in for Hurst pretty much because of the reasons you’ve mentioned but if they did I think he would be perfect for what they need there.
You look at Rotherham in the Championship and their aim has to be to stay up, so for a smaller team to stay up in the Championship it’s gonna need players that will battle and fight for every point and never give up as well as having ability, and that sounds like a perfect Paul Hurst team.
It’s those fighting qualities that ultimately got us through all 3 play off games last season.
I just hope that Rotherham’s chairman doesn’t agree.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
It’s a 12 month rolling contract

Off he trotts…

If they were recruiting from this league I’d go for Wild though.

Yep, came here to say what Lew said. The owners were very clear that the details of the deal are not being publicised, so we don't know how long it is. All we know is that it's an improved deal.

For what it's worth, I think way too much is being read into the Hurst comments. I don't know what some of theTown fans are expecting, but when was the last time a manager publicly took themselves out of contention for a job higher up? Barely ever happens.
I think if you read our replies we didn’t go overboard in pretending he was an amazing signing.

A bang average conference targetman doesn’t score 50 goals in two and a half seasons.

I’d suggest he’s a bang average League Two targetman on double the wages he should be and without a suitable partner.
Fair enough, he's definitely earnt another shot at L2 with how he's done at Notts. I just don't think he's good enough for this level. For all the goals he scored though I didn't watch him once last season and think he looked remotely decent. Without checking, I'd guess the bulk of his goals came against poorer sides.
Yeah it seems like unless I’ve missed something the only people linking Hurst with the job are Grimsby fans and the only people saying he doesn’t want the job are Grimsby fans.

In reality he’s probably not top of Rotherham’s list and if he was he’d more than likely go.
More than happy for him to go under the radar. Him not being top of their list and not really wanted by their fans suits us.
That's certainly one take on Paul Hurst's time after Shrewsbury. You could also argue that he was shafted at both Ipswich and Scunthorpe, by not being given anywhere near the requisite amount of time to achieve what he could have done.

There was no way he was saving us in 20/21 either, the squad he inherited was absolute garbage. We might have slipped a couple of places into the relegation spots but that was always going to happen given Hurst's bedding in period. We were vastly improved once he brought his players in and had we had Hurst and that squad from the start of the season we'd have stayed up. I'm staggered that you'd blame our relegation on him.

As for last season, that's absolute nonsense...to the point whereby I'm now not sure if you're taking the piss with that whole post or not? I'll stop here in case you're about to just reply with "whoooosh".

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Harsh to say his time at Scunthorpe was a failure. They had a really slow start and a wobble before he went, but I seem to remember that they'd started to get going and have a decent run for a while. If he had been left to it there I'm sure he'd have had them going. In fact, just looking and they were 16th, seven clear of the bottom two when they sacked him - I bet they wish they hadn't.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
That's certainly one take on Paul Hurst's time after Shrewsbury. You could also argue that he was shafted at both Ipswich and Scunthorpe, by not being given anywhere near the requisite amount of time to achieve what he could have done.

There was no way he was saving us in 20/21 either, the squad he inherited was absolute garbage. We might have slipped a couple of places into the relegation spots but that was always going to happen given Hurst's bedding in period. We were vastly improved once he brought his players in and had we had Hurst and that squad from the start of the season we'd have stayed up. I'm staggered that you'd blame our relegation on him.

As for last season, that's absolute nonsense...to the point whereby I'm now not sure if you're taking the piss with that whole post or not? I'll stop here in case you're about to just reply with "whoooosh".

Guess you didn't read the bit about hopefully Rotherham just look at the hard facts and not the reason behind them.

Because that's all they are, hard facts, sacked at Ipswich and Scunny, led a team above relegation to 24th in half a season and then finished 7th in non league and won three cup games on the trot

If they do what you have done then they will see a different story and might be interested! So I hope they don't

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Guess you didn't read the bit about hopefully Rotherham just look at the hard facts and not the reason behind them.

Because that's all they are, hard facts, sacked at Ipswich and Scunny, led a team above relegation to 24th in half a season and then finished 7th in non league and won three cup games on the trot

If they do what you have done then they will see a different story and might be interested! So I hope they don't
Okay yeah I stopped reading after the first paragraph, my mistake. :lol: You did get one hard fact wrong, by the way. We finished 6th last season, not 7th. Probably bang on where we were budget wise give or take a spot.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Agree with the comments on Garrard, I put the following in the NL forum in January when he was being linked away. I don't think he's necessarily as good as some of the media think he is, he's got off lightly from criticism with his poor season at Boreham Wood IMO.

"I said it earlier in the year but I can't work Garrard out. He does a good job with Boreham Wood, albeit they've been backed fairly well every season he's been there, but it's all very, well, boring? His sides rarely score or concede many , pretty similar numbers every season - GF44/GA49, 49/48, 64/47 (2017/18 - was that the Andrade seasons when they had a really good front three?), 53/65, 55/40, 52/48, this season much better at 31/14 but 31 is a low GF figure, more in keeping with a bottom half side.

As Jacob points out as well, he sides fluctuate quite heavily, he can't seem to sustain it - from his first season (took over in September that season) to last season, he's finished 19th, 11th, 4th, 20th, 5th, 14th.

He strikes me as someone who's comfortable with staying where he is and will stay there for years, which is probably why his side mirrors him, a bit risk averse."

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Rotherham wouldn't really consider Hurst, surely? Straight away I'm thinking Ainsworth, Bonner, Taylor and Schumacher as L1 managers you'd look at first.

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I had made an assumption (although that can be dangerous) that it was just better financially, and maybe a buy out clause. He was previously on 6 months I believe and the new owners extended it to 12 months rolling soon after coming in so for them to change that to a specific length would seem a bit strange

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Rotherham wouldn't really consider Hurst, surely? Straight away I'm thinking Ainsworth, Bonner, Taylor and Schumacher as L1 managers you'd look at first.
You'd think not. But to see him twerking For Rotherham and practically begging the South Yorkshire club to contact him is not a nice thing for the Grimsby fans. I expected better from him tbh.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard seems to have shot into a 1/4 odds on favourite out of nowhere for our job today. Can't say I know anything of him.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard seems to have shot into a 1/4 odds on favourite out of nowhere for our job today. Can't say I know anything of him.
Has done a decent job there to be fair, going off the limited amount I know about him. They beat us at their place, they were a tough side to play against. Don't know a massive amount about him really but he's got them well drilled.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient

All sounds a bit Mark Molesley.

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Harsh to say his time at Scunthorpe was a failure. They had a really slow start and a wobble before he went, but I seem to remember that they'd started to get going and have a decent run for a while. If he had been left to it there I'm sure he'd have had them going. In fact, just looking and they were 16th, seven clear of the bottom two when they sacked him - I bet they wish they hadn't.
Yes, because our decline stems from sacking Hurst. Another one who listens to the likes of Football League world.

Hurst was going to be a disaster before he even turned up. On the Rebound from Ipswich where he’d trashed McCarthy’s stability. He had decent players, but chose not to use them.

It was the home game v you where Cohen Bramhall was tearing us apart and a few of us on the terrace was thinking, what the fuck is this.

His defenders said he sorted the back four out, McCall did that, but a clean sheet isn’t that great If you’ve no interest in attacking.

Only Scunny manager I’ve celebrated getting sacked. We’d be in our current position earlier had he stayed.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Yes, because our decline stems from sacking Hurst. Another one who listens to the likes of Football League world.

Hurst was going to be a disaster before he even turned up. On the Rebound from Ipswich where he’d trashed McCarthy’s stability. He had decent players, but chose not to use them.

It was the home game v you where Cohen Bramhall was tearing us apart and a few of us on the terrace was thinking, what the fuck is this.

His defenders said he sorted the back four out, McCall did that, but a clean sheet isn’t that great If you’ve no interest in attacking.

Only Scunny manager I’ve celebrated getting sacked. We’d be in our current position earlier had he stayed.
There was definitely a feeling that he was turning things around after a slow start though, which made the timing of the sacking all the more weird. If he isn't using decent players, it probably means they're gobshites or lazy or something. Hence freezing out the likes of Hammill and Colclough. You might have celebrated him leaving but guaranteed if you had him now you'd be nowhere near a fifth tier relegation scrap. Him and Challinor are about as nailed on promotion pushes at that level you can get.

The Ipswich and Scunny jobs Hurst took were absolute shitshows of gigs, I wouldn't read much into his time at either places. He made mistakes at both, definitely not saying that but you can't lay the blame of both clubs' subsequent failures at his door.

Sestonpoolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Just heard Curle speak on the radio. Got a good feeling he'll get us out of trouble but then I've had good vibes from four of the seven appointments under Raj, only Challinor did the business.

Couple of interesting comments. Curle says he wants the job full time but the interim bit is a trial period so he's desperate to get his ideas across quick. When he got asked if the squad are up to standard he said 'there's enough to get me started'. Spent a lot of time in Thailand, obviously eyeing a role in the UK diplomatic service there if things don't work out.

The bloke showed more enthusiasm and knowledge in that interview than Hartley ever showed in his time so gotta hope that vibe helps us back on the right track.
It was nice to see people having a bit of a laugh & a smile on their faces in interviews.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Has done a decent job there to be fair, going off the limited amount I know about him. They beat us at their place, they were a tough side to play against. Don't know a massive amount about him really but he's got them well drilled.
Think we beat them 7-2 at theirs and 4-1 at home in the year we went up. They're a bit better nowadays but that's a big jump from one of NL minnows to a full time L2 club.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Think we beat them 7-2 at theirs and 4-1 at home in the year we went up. They're a bit better nowadays but that's a big jump from one of NL minnows to a full time L2 club.

Big increase in budget to manage as well, given that the Wealdstone fans reminded us regularly that their players were paid in Mars bars.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Yes, because our decline stems from sacking Hurst.

Yes, because that's exactly what I said isn't it?

Prior to his last few weeks with you he'd won 30 points from 18 games, which I would assume is probably as good a run as any at Scunthorpe in the last four years. 27 goals in that time too which is a decent return for anyone, let alone a side with 'no interest in attacking'.

Hurst builds solid teams. They might be more pragmatic but I'd be confident that he'd have made a better fist of it than Wilcox, Cox and Hill went on to do if he'd been kept on. That isn't to say that he'd have been some sort of saviour to your overall plight, just that I don't think his time at Scunthorpe really appears to be a blot on his record.

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Prior to his last few weeks with you he'd won 30 points from 18 games, which I would assume is probably as good a run as any at Scunthorpe in the last four years. 27 goals in that time too which is a decent return for anyone, let alone a side with 'no interest in attacking'.

Hurst builds solid teams. They might be more pragmatic but I'd be confident that he'd have made a better fist of it than Wilcox, Cox and Hill went on to do if he'd been kept on. That isn't to say that he'd have been some sort of saviour to your overall plight, just that I don't think his time at Scunthorpe really appears to be a blot on his record.
That's a poor record in a team that should have been doing better than the bottom end of League 2, considering the players he inherited. Baring Eisa, he brought in rubbish like the headless chicken Songo'o, one of the worst.

Cox and Hill had a fraction of his budget, Cox did his best and Hill lost the plot early on.

Shrewsbury fans are split on him, Ipswich they hated him. it works for him at GTFC because he's bought into the "us and them" mentality the team and fans have.

But instead of actually seeing what the Football was like and the Decisions made, you've followed the Herd.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
We had the supporters Co-op AGM this morning and the Clubs CEO basically stated that performances haven’t been good enough, the hint was McSheffrey has 3 games to start getting the season on track.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Colchester fans, Niel Harris lives in Essex if you want him.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
We had the supporters Co-op AGM this morning and the Clubs CEO basically stated that performances haven’t been good enough, the hint was McSheffrey has 3 games to start getting the season on track.

Not a bad start then?

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
That's a poor record in a team that should have been doing better than the bottom end of League 2, considering the players he inherited. Baring Eisa, he brought in rubbish like the headless chicken Songo'o, one of the worst.

Cox and Hill had a fraction of his budget, Cox did his best and Hill lost the plot early on.

Shrewsbury fans are split on him, Ipswich they hated him. it works for him at GTFC because he's bought into the "us and them" mentality the team and fans have.

But instead of actually seeing what the Football was like and the Decisions made, you've followed the Herd.
Shrewsbury fans aren't split on him at all. He took them to the brink of the second tier for the first time in God knows how long. There was bad feeling about how he left but that's about it.

There's absolutely no "us and them" mentality at Town right now either, you couldn't be further from the mark on that. I don't remember there ever being a stronger feeling of togetherness at the club than there is right now. You're getting confused with Fenty era Hurst mkI and the fans there.

He also brought McAtee in as well for you. Quite how you lot didn't appreciate what a player you had on your hands, I can't grasp at all. Lazy McAtee say the Scunny fans as he runs about 75 yards at full pelt to close down another lost cause.

Last edited:

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
There's absolutely no "us and them" mentality at Town right now either, you couldn't be further from the mark on that. I don't remember there ever being a stronger feeling of togetherness at the club than there is right now. You're getting confused with Fenty era Hurst mkI and the fans there.

He also brought McAtee in as well for you. Quite how you lot didn't appreciate what a player you had on your hands, I can't grasp at all.
"Us and them" meaning it's GTFC, the Fans and team, against everyone else.

When i give you lot a bit of praise you have to try and twist it

:hb: McAtee showed a bit of promise for us, scored a couple of goals off the bench. he was always going to follow Hurst again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!