Modern football - The (slightly) older fans dilemma.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
This has been in my thoughts for some time so bear with me as I might go on a bit with this.

After 41 seasons, I'm not sure if I will renew next season.

It's not about results, I've seen City in the top league and seen us in the bottom league. It's my club, I love it, simple as that.
It's not about price, a season ticket costs what it costs.
It's not about what they earn, it is what it is. Fook all to do with me.
It IS about enjoyment. I couldn't care less if we're shite, I couldn't really care less if we win if I'm honest. It's about the modern match day experience, I hate it! It's about 'singing areas' and family areas etc etc, the corporate machine. Going to football is a totally different experience and it's an event that is, in all honesty, is becoming a habit, almost a chore.
When we could meet in the pub, have a few beers and trundle off to the match, usually worse for wear, it was great. Unfortunately, the corporate world has taken over the game, even at our level. The sitting down grinds my gears but I understand why it was done, it was necessary.
Today, against Cardiff, one of our most despised local rivals summed up why I am questioning myself TBH. It was such a shit atmosphere and that's what football seems to be becoming. I hate it! I'm not a modern supporter. Derbies should be intimidating not what I have seen today and at the CCS.
I appreciate, most of the posters on here are a fair bit younger than me but are there any fans of a similar vintage that could understand why I am seriously tempted to give my season ticket up and go less often?

Any help would be appreciated.

BCFC Jordan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Ashton Gate atmosphere has been dying for a long time, like the vast majority of the rest of English grounds, but never underestimate the power of noon kick-offs to destroy any semblance of an atmosphere.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Ashton Gate atmosphere has been dying for a long time, like the vast majority of the rest of English grounds, but never underestimate the power of noon kick-offs to destroy any semblance of an atmosphere.
Thanks Jordan. It's not just about the Cardiff game, or about City to be fair.

Dazza

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
This has been in my thoughts for some time so bear with me as I might go on a bit with this.

After 41 seasons, I'm not sure if I will renew next season.

It's not about results, I've seen City in the top league and seen us in the bottom league. It's my club, I love it, simple as that.
It's not about price, a season ticket costs what it costs.
It's not about what they earn, it is what it is. Fook all to do with me.
It IS about enjoyment. I couldn't care less if we're shite, I couldn't really care less if we win if I'm honest. It's about the modern match day experience, I hate it! It's about 'singing areas' and family areas etc etc, the corporate machine. Going to football is a totally different experience and it's an event that is, in all honesty, is becoming a habit, almost a chore.
When we could meet in the pub, have a few beers and trundle off to the match, usually worse for wear, it was great. Unfortunately, the corporate world has taken over the game, even at our level. The sitting down grinds my gears but I understand why it was done, it was necessary.
Today, against Cardiff, one of our most despised local rivals summed up why I am questioning myself TBH. It was such a shit atmosphere and that's what football seems to be becoming. I hate it! I'm not a modern supporter. Derbies should be intimidating not what I have seen today and at the CCS.
I appreciate, most of the posters on here are a fair bit younger than me but are there any fans of a similar vintage that could understand why I am seriously tempted to give my season ticket up and go less often?

Any help would be appreciated.

The modern match day experience at most grounds is shit now. You know for yourself just how bad it is at the Mad Stad. Its all aimed at familys. Fed up of going to matches and getting the evil looks for the crime of swearing at a football match or standing up for a few seconds. My mate got banned from the Mad Stad a few years ago because one person had complained about his language. Also can't stand fans who feel the need to record every corner, freekick or penalty on their phones.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Not renewing mine after 33 seasons, it not becuase we are shite, trust me I've seen us worse and travelled to god forsaken places on cold, wet, snowing windy nights. Modern footbal isn't entertaining, not saying we need agro back in stadiums but it did make an atmosphere, yesterday $42 fooking quid to watch us against Leeds, absolutely ridiculous. In fact everything about modern football is killing the game, it used to be working class, it used to be reasonably priced, it used to be about the craic....it isn't anymore and i'll be picking and choosing my matches next season in league 1.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
I rarely venture up the leagues but this thread caught my attention and causes me to count my blessings. Not gloat mind - we still have to put up with visiting the likes of Crawley and Stevenage whilst supporting a team that can play as shit as any in the National League at the drop of a hat.

But I do get to stand on a choice of terraces, each with a unique atmosphere, for home matches and the Abbey re-development plans (should they ever come to pass) retain our home by the cow pasture rather than amid a bunch of Trumpington NimBYs, as well as including new terraces. I also get to stand at virtually all away matches (seated stand or not) without causing problems for kids or those who need to sit or, for the most part, local stewards. Season ticket at £205 and away tickets as low as £14-16, for a wrinkly, help. We've had our irritations over the last 12 months or so but the family focus and commercial/corporate expansion seems to be achieved with just a few ruffled feathers. Most fans recognise that the income is key to future improvements on and off the field and we adapt.

Major contributors to atmosphere and enjoyment include - decent local pubs with access to away fans, ideally mixing with home fans but with the odd heightening of tensions (only Luton really) to spice up the season, night matches or 3 p.m. kick offs, fans close to the action (with ability to achieve "dialogue" with players and referee, or at least get a reaction from them) crap referees, opposition villains, crunching tackles, occasional decent performances.

I've had enough of those to be planning to attend most, if not all, remaining matches this season - despite our steady run to mid-table obscurity being on track. I'll buy a new season ticket with anticipation and a spring in the step, even if Braintree come up and we face the unique atmospheres of Boundary Park and Bloomfeld Road alongside the joys of Colchester.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
Not renewing mine after 33 seasons, it not becuase we are shite, trust me I've seen us worse and travelled to god forsaken places on cold, wet, snowing windy nights. Modern footbal isn't entertaining, not saying we need agro back in stadiums but it did make an atmosphere, yesterday $42 fooking quid to watch us against Leeds, absolutely ridiculous. In fact everything about modern football is killing the game, it used to be working class, it used to be reasonably priced, it used to be about the craic....it isn't anymore and i'll be picking and choosing my matches next season in league 1.
Having been to a couple of matches at the Reebok/Macron for double header weekends on my travels over the years, I can see why the thrill has gone - it has to be partly coz you're shit and dropping down the leagues but mainly coz the ground needs to be fairly full, including the away end, for a decent atmosphere. I sampled Blackburn on a similar low but their ground can work despite the Venky effect if the team are buzzing. For all their faults, Turf Moor can deliver atmosphere (and creative ticket prices) and the Library that is Goodison Park also fits the bill for me.

TomPNE94

Big Mak Fan
Reaction score
Supports
Simon Makienok
Twitter
@TomMonks94
From my perspective, as someone who never saw that side of the game, the way it is now is all I've ever really known. Obviously atmospheres at grounds have noticeably deteriorated and prices have gone up massively but they are the only differences now to what it was like when I started going to games (plus I only started buying my own ST's at 16).

I still enjoy it, I'm not looking for trouble and never have been, the only time I've ever even seen any trouble was Port Vale away last season and Wednesday away this season. I prefer it this way tbh, I enjoy watching the match.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
FWIW, my post was not and is not about 'trouble' at matches. That was deeply unpleasant then and I would hate to see that particular aspect of the 'older' game return. Everything is too sterile and too controlled to be enjoyable. You must stay sat down, you must sit in a certain place, you must conform to certain rules.
As mentioned, the working class game as it was, seems to have been replaced by the need for corporate £££ to the detriment of the match day experience. I understand why it is done but feel that we don't really matter anymore. My £400 is so insignificant in comparison to that spent by the 3 course dinner in a box brigade and the experience in stadiums, up and down the country have suffered for it.
Interesting to hear from the Cambridge fan that the lower leagues still have some of the 'old' experience but I would wager that should they rise up the leagues, Cambridge would conform as well. All clubs have to in order to survive.
It's also refreshing to see that other fans around the leagues feel the same way. I bet the Prem is even worse?

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
I won't be renewing next season, I'm just totally bored of the "experience" both on and off the pitch. I'll do a few away games no doubt but I'd rather spend a fiver on a Saturday afternoon watching non league football if I'm honest.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
I won't be renewing next season, I'm just totally bored of the "experience" both on and off the pitch. I'll do a few away games no doubt but I'd rather spend a fiver on a Saturday afternoon watching non league football if I'm honest.
That's what I'm thinking about doing Destruction. Try to find the 'love' again I guess.

The Southbank

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
That's what I'm thinking about doing Destruction. Try to find the 'love' again I guess.

What do you think about the 'new' Ashton Gate?

I thought it was a tad stale when I went earlier in the season, as compared to what it used to be. It was always a weary trip to BS3, but the stadium had a unique charm about it. Remember being there with 6,000 Reading fans in 1995, with the low roof, the place was absolutely shaking. City always brought a good following up the road as well - wasn't old enough to remember that trip to Elm Park.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I went to watch Man City v Villa yesterday to tick the Etihad off the list, and it was an awful, awful experience. It had me genuinely questioning what I was doing there but in a way, I'm glad I went. It made me realise that as shit as Lincoln are, and probably always will be, we'll always be a community club run by supporters. I don't want a new ground which makes "commercial sense", and I certainly don't want a random owner giving us unsustainable success.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC

I thought it was a tad stale when I went earlier in the season, as compared to what it used to be. It was always a weary trip to BS3, but the stadium had a unique charm about it. Remember being there with 6,000 Reading fans in 1995, with the low roof, the place was absolutely shaking. City always brought a good following up the road as well - wasn't old enough to remember that trip to Elm Park.
I was actually at that game game at Elm park, utter carnage that was!
I've heard that a visit to BS3 was one to be weary of before, generally from rovers fans but as a home supporter I never really noticed it. It was always the same tbh, noisy and intimidating I suppose.
The new Ashton Gate? Hmmm, it's absolutely stunning to be fair, everything you could ask for is there, easily accessible and well priced. I don't know what the away end is like but the councourses under the home stands are far superior to ANYTHING I have seen elsewhere, it's really that good.
Does the new stadium cause the problems we are discussing? I'm not sure they do but it certainly makes it more noticeable. I think the old Gate would have suffered the same way if I'm honest as it's the attitude of the modern game that changes things not necessarily the stadia. Don't get me wrong, now we have all the corporate facilities, it's definitely more obvious but the stuffed shirts seem to prevail at this level a lot more than below this league.
Progress? It's needed to compete but at the detriment of the experience of the majority IMHO. Funny how we don't notice it at away games though.

Last edited:

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

That day was one of the most deflated I've ever felt watching City in fairness, we were comprehensively outplayed.

The new AG is brilliant IMO, state of the art facilities, good prices etc - everything CiderUp said. The atmosphere will return once everyone has settled down to ther usual allocated spaces again in a few years, also success in this division goes a long way to helping the atmosphere.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

Shit. Was quite excited about it first but I've came to realise that it is, and forever will be be deader than ever now on a matchday.

Plus 27k is too much. 19k (what is was before) was ideal for us in my opinion and the Eastend and Williams, although old and run down, still had character to them.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Shit. Was quite excited about it first but I've came to realise that it is, and forever will be be deader than ever now on a matchday.

Plus 27k is too much. 19k (what is was before) was ideal for us in my opinion and the Eastend and Williams, although old and run down, still had character to them.
27k won't be enough if we go up.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
27k won't be enough if we go up.

There's the key word; "if". City fans have been saying that for 30 years mate. Even if we were to get up, I could personally do without the extra 8k wankers who previously had no interest in the club.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
There's the key word; "if". City fans have been saying that for 30 years mate. Even if we were to get up, I could personally do without the extra 8k wankers who previously had no interest in the club.
You have to plan for it though - it's no good getting there and not having the facilities to maximise it.

Hillsborough is half empty every week, but they're not going to suddenly knock a tier down because the chances are if they get back up there they'd sell 40k week in week out.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
You have to plan for it though - it's no good getting there and not having the facilities to maximise it.

It worked out alright for Bournemouth!

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

Hillsborough is half empty every week, but they're not going to suddenly knock a tier down because the chances are if they get back up there they'd sell 40k week in week out.

Ashton Gate previously had a 21k capacity. Pompey always did alright in the Prem with 21k. Watford have done fine with 21k, Bournemouth 12k, Swansea 21k. There was never a necessity to make Ashton Gate bigger just for some gloryhunting wankers who won't bother turning up until we get there.

The Southbank

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
I was actually at that game game at Elm park, utter carnage that was!
I've heard that a visit to BS3 was one to be weary of before, generally from rovers fans but as a home supporter I never really noticed it. It was always the same tbh, noisy and intimidating I suppose.
The new Ashton Gate? Hmmm, it's absolutely stunning to be fair, everything you could ask for is there, easily accessible and well priced. I don't know what the away end is like but the councourses under the home stands are far superior to ANYTHING I have seen elsewhere, it's really that good.
Does the new stadium cause the problems we are discussing? I'm not sure they do but it certainly makes it more noticeable. I think the old Gate would have suffered the same way if I'm honest as it's the attitude of the modern game that changes things not necessarily the stadia. Don't get me wrong, now we have all the corporate facilities, it's definitely more obvious but the stuffed shirts seem to prevail at this level a lot more than below this league.
Progress? It's needed to compete but at the detriment of the experience of the majority IMHO. Funny how we don't notice it at away games though.

Whenever I went to the Gate, you always had one eye behind you, especially in some of the back streets near Bedminster. Remember going in the early naughties and we walked past that BS3 pub, fuck me, we got some bad looks that day - we weren't shirters, but they knew we weren't local. The atmosphere was always decent and the boys in the East End were a good laugh.

As you said earlier, I'm glad there isn't as much trouble nowadays - having been involved in a fair bit myself - it's not something I'm proud of - that's one aspect where it has improved to an extent.

Reactions: JJH

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Won't it be 23K next season with the upper West not being used?
Aye, it'll be used as overflow. Pretty sure they do the same at Leeds with their East Stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!