Next season's squad

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Im very much in agreement on Appere. Only reason I think he will stay is that with Simpson and Bowie going back and Hylton being out of contract it would leave us with no strikers on the books. He mentioned he was in talks with the club so think he will end up staying, we need at least 2 new ones though. Completely agree on taking far too long to shoot and often passing up on the shot when its available, needs to be way more greedy.
Crikey, is Hylton still going? Must surely be on his last legs by now, he's hardly played since he was with Luton in L2?

Madejski

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
Was not sure whether to talk about our situation with takeover still ongoing, but seen it pointed out that we'll either be taken over and in League One next season, or not been taken over and won't see out next season..

In Contract:
Goalkeepers- David Button, Dean Bouzanis, Jokull Andresson, Coniah Boyce-Clarke
Defenders- Andy Yiadom, Harlee Dean, Tyler Bindon, Amadou Mbengue
Midfielders- Ben Elliott, Charlie Savage, Lewis Wing
Forwards- Sam Smith, Harvey Knibbs

Out of Contract:
Keep:

Joel Pereira (GK)- Activate 1 year option, looks like our best goalkeeper now he's getting a run of games
Clinton Mola (LB)- Offer new contract, been our starting LB recently and his versatility at playing in all defensive positions is important
Kelvin Abrefa (RB)- Offer new contract, academy player who missed most of the season due to injury, but should be pushing to be first choice RB next season as Yiadom is phased out
Jeriel Dorsett (CB)- Offer new contract, academy player and been good as stand-in LB most of the season despite CB being his preferred position
Michael Craig (CM)- Offer new contract, academy player and been competing ably with Savage most of the season as our starting CM, a little better defensively which helps
Femi Azeez (RW)- Offer new contract, our most creative player who had a very good purple patch for a couple of months mid-season, although expecting a Championship club to poach him
Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan (ST)- Offer new contract, academy player and still raw but has all the makings of a solid all rounder striker, and capable of hitting a long-ranger too

Get Rid:
Nesta Guinness-Walker (LB)- Release, out of favour and currently on loan at Stevenage, will likely end up at a League One club this Summer, will suit a team that plays with wing backs.
Sam Hutchinson (CM)- Release, out of favour and not been in a matchday squad since early November

Loans Ending:
Tom Holmes (CB, Luton), Zane Monlouis (CB, Arsenal) & Paul Mukairu (LW, Copenhagen) - All will be returned to their club and cannot see any coming back, nor would I really want them as have not been first choice.

Overall Verdict:
For the first time in a few years we should not have loads to do - certainly compared to last Summer when we started with 8 players contracted, and most of them then left!

Still have a number of out of contract players to offer new deals too, and hope they sign. If we can somehow get them all to sign on then we only really need 2 LW, a LB and a back-up striker. When most of our forwards were injured at the start of the season we were toothless and one of the reasons why we were bottom of the league.

I do have concerns that there will be some players both in and out of contract that we would not be able to keep hold of, which would then require more work. But based on last season I trust that we can recruit well, it certainly helps that at this level almost all signings are free transfers.

We also need to shift on some goalkeepers as we've ended up with loads. Both Button and Bouzanis need to go as they are towards the end of their careers and won't be first choice. Not sure how likely that would be though as neither would be very desirable.

So if we can have a settled Summer as above then we really should be looking to fight for the play-offs next season.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Was not sure whether to talk about our situation with takeover still ongoing, but seen it pointed out that we'll either be taken over and in League One next season, or not been taken over and won't see out next season..

In Contract:
Goalkeepers- David Button, Dean Bouzanis, Jokull Andresson, Coniah Boyce-Clarke
Defenders- Andy Yiadom, Harlee Dean, Tyler Bindon, Amadou Mbengue
Midfielders- Ben Elliott, Charlie Savage, Lewis Wing
Forwards- Sam Smith, Harvey Knibbs

Out of Contract:
Keep:

Joel Pereira (GK)- Activate 1 year option, looks like our best goalkeeper now he's getting a run of games
Clinton Mola (LB)- Offer new contract, been our starting LB recently and his versatility at playing in all defensive positions is important
Kelvin Abrefa (RB)- Offer new contract, academy player who missed most of the season due to injury, but should be pushing to be first choice RB next season as Yiadom is phased out
Jeriel Dorsett (CB)- Offer new contract, academy player and been good as stand-in LB most of the season despite CB being his preferred position
Michael Craig (CM)- Offer new contract, academy player and been competing ably with Savage most of the season as our starting CM, a little better defensively which helps
Femi Azeez (RW)- Offer new contract, our most creative player who had a very good purple patch for a couple of months mid-season, although expecting a Championship club to poach him
Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan (ST)- Offer new contract, academy player and still raw but has all the makings of a solid all rounder striker, and capable of hitting a long-ranger too

Get Rid:
Nesta Guinness-Walker (LB)- Release, out of favour and currently on loan at Stevenage, will likely end up at a League One club this Summer, will suit a team that plays with wing backs.
Sam Hutchinson (CM)- Release, out of favour and not been in a matchday squad since early November

Loans Ending:
Tom Holmes (CB, Luton), Zane Monlouis (CB, Arsenal) & Paul Mukairu (LW, Copenhagen) - All will be returned to their club and cannot see any coming back, nor would I really want them as have not been first choice.

Overall Verdict:
For the first time in a few years we should not have loads to do - certainly compared to last Summer when we started with 8 players contracted, and most of them then left!

Still have a number of out of contract players to offer new deals too, and hope they sign. If we can somehow get them all to sign on then we only really need 2 LW, a LB and a back-up striker. When most of our forwards were injured at the start of the season we were toothless and one of the reasons why we were bottom of the league.

I do have concerns that there will be some players both in and out of contract that we would not be able to keep hold of, which would then require more work. But based on last season I trust that we can recruit well, it certainly helps that at this level almost all signings are free transfers.

We also need to shift on some goalkeepers as we've ended up with loads. Both Button and Bouzanis need to go as they are towards the end of their careers and won't be first choice. Not sure how likely that would be though as neither would be very desirable.

So if we can have a settled Summer as above then we really should be looking to fight for the play-offs next season.
You've really got 4 GKs? Including Button and Jokull? No wonder you're in trouble.

We don't have any signed for next season

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Under contract:

Sam Howes (GK) - Been the backup all season after being plucked from non-League. Conceded all four shots on target he faced in his one appearance. Keep I guess.

Omar Beckles (CB, captain) - Not really up to the job ability-wise at this level, but invaluable as one of the few ‘old heads’ in the squad. Imagine we’ll keep him for the last year of his contract but I’d rather he wasn’t first choice.

Brandon Cooper (CB) - Decent on the ball but doesn’t like heading it much. Will be first choice next year. Keep.

Jayden Sweeney (LB) - Young, adventurous full back. Raw but plenty of promise. Would hope he can make the position his own next season. Keep

Jordan Brown (DM) - Probably been our best contracted player this season. No-brainer keep.

Max Sanders (AM) - Flatters to deceive and injury-prone. Wellens likes him but I’m not fussed.

Ethan Galbraith (AM) - Most talented contracted player at the club. Criminally underused at the start of the season and stuck at right back for the rest of it. I’d build the entire team around him. Keep.

Ollie O’Neill (LW) - Flashy wide player signed from Fulham in January. Proper shit footballer’s hair, soft from years of U23 football and doesn’t like running much. Bit of a baller though. Keep

Jordan Graham (RW) - Skilful & experienced. Our most dangerous creative outlet until he got crocked. Desperate to see him alongside Agyei at some point. Keep

Dan Agyei (SC) - If he’d been fit all season we’d have made the playoffs. Said with a completely straight face. Keep

Joe Piggott (SC) - Tries his hardest but he is a broken down auld donkey who is utterly unsuitable for RW’s style of play. Huge ricket of a signing. Hopefully offload on a free.

Youngsters with fleeting first team action who should all stay around: Rhys Byrne (GK), Zech Obiero (MC) & Charlie Pegrum (FW)

Out of contract:

Dan Happe (CB) - The stand-out defender at the club, he is Peterborough’s choice to replace Ronnie Edwards. Imagine we’ll exercise his optional year and then give MacAnthony a bargain. Sell

Jack Simpson (CB) - I hear we’re a racist club now, Father. How did we get into this sort of thing? Feck off. But he’ll probably play 46 games after we extend him in the summer.

Rob Hunt (FB) - Versatile but limited. Depends what we’re after as a club next season. I’d let him walk, particularly because…

Tom James (FB) - …is the other option. Defensively you take your chances with him, but he is League One quality on the ball, two footed and has a long throw. Some O’s fans would bin him off but they’re idiots. Keep.

Darren Pratley (CM) - “One more year, one more year, Darren Pratley…” starts the song. Kinder to take him out the back of the North Stand and have him shot at this point. Retire please.

George Moncur (AM) - A huge weight off the wage bill. And I’m not just talking about his wages. Sure Notts County or someone with too much money will take a shine to his enormous arse. Cheerio you chubby weirdo.

Ruel Sotiriou (FW) - Always hated him but undoubtedly had his best season as a pro. Maybe he’s figured it out. Reckon he might hilariously overestimate his own ability and engineer a Championship move. Re-sign if possible.

Loan Players

Sol Brynn (GK) - Been generally good. So few keeping slots open in the League that I guess there’s a chance we could get him back. Would definitely have him again.

Idris El Mizouni (CM) - Far too good for us. Probably not good enough for Ipswich. Some twats like Reading will probably swoop in for him.

Shaq Forde (SC) - Good little player who has downed tools in the past couple of weeks now our season is over. Reckon Watford will give him a shot next year.

Dan Adu-Agyei (FW) & Kayvon Edwards (SC) - A duo of panic-signings in the last minute of the January transfer window when a striker fell through. DAA (Bournemouth) might make it at Weymouth but Edwards (Arsenal) has zero chance of anything better than flipping burgers.

I agree with most of this.

FYI Moncur has one more year, we signed him on a 3 year deal from Hull:

Fairly sure Dan Happe will leave, which was why Simpson was brought in - they wouldn't have taken his 6 game ban hit otherwise IMO.
Heard Sotiriou and Hunt were both offered new deals but are keeping their options open.
We need to offload Joe Piggott, it hasn't worked and he doesn't fit Wellens style of play.
Brynn has been ok in goal for us, but IMO we probably need to bring in a more experienced keeper to push on.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Has Archibald left?
No he's still here but out of contract in the summer.

I think the club are going to help with his rehab, but with his injury basically forcing him out of next season too, we're not sure what will happen.

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
You've really got 4 GKs? Including Button and Jokull? No wonder you're in trouble.

We don't have any signed for next season
I reckon they have 5 - there's another one mentioned further down who's out of contract. Crazy unless a couple are academy players. We've got 3 and one of them is out on loan.

Just looked and Reading have 5 keepers, all senior players (aged 21-35). 2 out on loan but still...no wonder you've got problems.

Madejski

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
I would expect that we are not paying Bouzanis or Jokull's wages this season, probably covered by loans.

I don't think (paying wages for) 3 goalkeepers is that excessive either, especially as one is only young academy player.

Certainly not a cause for our problems. A backup keeper at this level is probably on £100k-£150k a year tops, so having one extra is not much. Would rather the money spent on another forward, but they are more pricey..

Our problems this season are caused by an owner who has given up on the club, not putting any money in, and seemingly to look to asset strip to get any money he can out of the club before selling, or potentially liquidating the club as he had to the previous two football clubs he owned. And looking at the big losses other League One teams are making these days, they too would find themselves in similar predicament to Reading if their owners had similar thoughts/intentions.

Last edited:

Throbber_for_Dunk

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge
SVH, Laker and err, arbury(?) over to you!

Think we've essentially got everyone we need out of contract, or thereabouts, and everyone we'd want to shift signed up.

Maybe harsh that, but Lennetts contract is unclear (think we've got a year option, cash in?) and so is BIG MAMS, Gassan Ahadme Yahyai is on loan, surely won't be required where Ipswich are going but will surely have turned heads elsewhere. Stevens is contracted, Mannion isn't etc etc.

Then you're looking at late 30s duo Morrison and Rennett, a sometime Fejiri Okenhibire cameo, your Kaikais and Kachungas, and just...there is a big overhaul coming whatever way you look at it, I just hope we don't end up keeping the wrong folk and losing the right folk for nowt.

Dunk either gets renewed or gets a statue, there's no two ways about it.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
I think we’ve got one of the biggest squads in the league, so there will be plenty of turnover this summer – However, we do have a core of a good squad to work with:

Under contract:

Pierce Sweeney (RCB) – Love him, becoming a City legend
Will Aimson (CB) – Rapidly turning his season around with some great performances
Jack Fitzwater (CB) – Not played much due to illness and injury. But a handy player to have in the squad
Ben Purrington (LCB/LWB) – He’s looked good at times but has also had a couple of injuries. A full pre-season and he’ll be a regular.
Vinny Harper (LWB) – Has had a good second half of the season – Needs to become more consistent though
Ilmari Niskanen (RWB/ LWB) – Never ever stops running. A manager’s dream to have in the squad – I like him
Reece Cole (CM) – Classy player with an eye for goal from midfield. Allegedly attracting interest from bigger clubs
Jack Aitchison (CAM) – Had a fantastic run of form since Christmas. Good player and expect more from him next season.
Millenic Alli (CF) – 3 goals in his last 2 have shown what he’s capable of. Still raw but has all the attributes to be a top player for us.
Sonny Cox (CF) – Another player who’s been excellent since Christmas. 5 goals has been a solid return and he needs to improve on that.

Also got some young’uns who should have an opportunity over pre-season to stake a claim for a place in the squad: Pedro Borges, Jake Richards, Charlie Cummings, Ed James etc.

Loans returning:

Vil Sinisalo (GK) – Burton fans said he was awful but they couldn’t have been more wrong. Top ‘keeper and will be missed. Would love him back on loan.
Dion Rankine (RWB/ RW) – On loan from Chelsea – has shown some quality but can’t see him making it at a high level. Maybe one we could get back if he’s released.
Ryan Woods (CM) – Bristol Rovers fans said he was poor, but honestly, he’s probably been one of the main reasons we’ve done so well in 2024. He never gives the ball away and suits our style to a tee. We’re hoping to keep him but wages will be a stumbling block for sure.
Luke Harris (CAM) – On loan from Fulham and he’s a talented boy for one so young. Would love him back on loan again.
Mo Eisa (CF) – Announced he’s definitely not staying. Was expecting much better tbh.
Admiral Muskwe (?) – Is he still alive?!

Out of contract (confirmed as leaving):

Alex Hartridge (LCB) – Been an excellent servant and an academy product. Needs a new challenge – Bristol Rovers bound?
Harry Kite (CM) – As above

Out of contract (Keep if possible):

Zak Jule (LCB) – He’s had a good season and is very consistent. I believe we have an option on his contract, so expecting him to stay.
Cheick Diabate (CB) – Big and powerful defender and another academy product. Have a feeling he will reject a new deal and move on.
Tom Carroll (CM) – 50/50 on him. He’s played way more than I expected due to his previous injury concerns and has shown occasional class. I’d give him a 1 year deal but think he may move on elsewhere.
Caleb Watts (RWB/ CM) – Useful squad player and we have an option on his contract. Keep.
Demetri Mitchell (LW) – Been out since October with a knee injury. Prior to that he was superb and is a top end L1 player. I suspect he’ll still have offers despite his fitness issues, butwould love to keep him if possible. However, suspect he’ll go elsewhere.
Harry Lee (GK) - highly rated but get the feeling is still too young to be number 1. He may want to move on to become a regular somewhere.
Shaun McDonald (GK) - If Lee goes I think he deserves a year contract as backup.

Out of contract (Release):

Kyle Taylor (CM) – Suffered a horrific knee injury in 2022, which he’s come back from but just isn’t L1 level. Would be a good L2 signing for someone.
Yanic Wildschut (LW) – Shown glimpses of quality, like last week at Orient where he was superb, but that’s not enough. Release.
Gary Woods (GK) - Not good enough. Release.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Now we've finally been promoted, I thought I'd contribute to this!

In Contract

Will Norris (GK)
Conor Shaughnessy (CB)
Regan Poole (CB)
Tom McIntyre (CB)
Ryley Towler (CB)
Jack Sparkes (LB)
Terry Devlin (CM)
Ben Stevenson (CM)
Owen Moxon (CM)
Tom Lowery (CM)
Gavin Whyte (LW/RW)
Anthony Scully (LW/RW)
Callum Lang (LW/AM/RW)
Christian Saydee (AM/CF)
Colby Bishop (CF)
Kusini Yengi (CF)

I can see most of those players being wanted for next season, but, with competition so fierce at centre back I can see Towler being loaned out to a League One club. Stevenson has been on the fringes all season so he could be loaned/sold too.

Despite both being failed marquee signings last summer, I still think Whyte and Scully have something to offer. The former has started to look good when he has played in 2024 and the latter has had a nightmare with injuries all season and will probably be loaned out to regain his fitness and confidence.

Out of Contract (Keep)

Matt Macey (GK) - Would be a decent back up if he's willing to be second choice. Toby Steward has had an outstanding season on loan at Gosport but not ready to be a Championship deputy yet.
Joe Rafferty (RB) - Has been our unsung hero and a consistent performer. Deserves a new contract but may well be playing second fiddle to Swanson if he signs.
Zak Swanson (RB) - Clearly capable of playing in the Championship and should be pushing to be outright first choice next season.
Sean Raggett (CB) - I would love him to stay given his massive improvement this season but he would be fourth choice centre back if he signed and I'm not sure he would accept those terms. Would leave a cult hero if he decided not to renew.
Conor Ogilvie (LB) - Pompey haven't lost when he has been in the team and has been another unsung hero. I actually think he would struggle in the Championship but would love to be proved wrong.
Marlon Pack (CM) - Probably the best midfielder in League One and local lad. Would be insane not to retain him.
Joe Morrell (CM) - Was a key player until his injury. Definitely deserves a shot at the Championship with us.
Lee Evans (CM) - I'd like to see more of him as he has shown flashes of quality. Just needs to stay fit.

Out of Contract (Release)

Ryan Schofield (GK) - Only ever signed as cheap backup and will only be remembered for arguably the worst goalkeeping performance I've ever seen when Pompey lost 5-2 to Wimbledon in the Pisspot Trophy.
Haji Mnoga (CB) - Not good enough to play League One, let alone Championship.
Liam Vincent (LB) - Has never got a look in at League One level so no way will he be kept on.
Josh Martin (LW/RW) - Hasn't really made an impact and will probably find a L1/L2 club in the summer.

Loan Returns

Tino Anjorin (CM) - Has looked quality when he played but has been injured for most of the season. Wouldn't mind getting another look at him as it's doubtful he'll be playing for Chelsea any time soon.
Alex Robertson (CM) - Could have been our player of the season had he not been injured at the end of 2023 and missed the second half of the season. If Man City allow it, I'd love to see him back.
Myles Peart-Harris (AM) - Didn't set the world alight but he has some talent. Doubt he'll be wanted back and Brentford will probably try and find another L! club for him.
Abu Kamara (LW/RW) - Has transformed into the most lethal winger in League One and we've got no chance of getting him back next season unless Norwich get promoted and are feeling generous enough to loan him back to us.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
I think we’ve got one of the biggest squads in the league, so there will be plenty of turnover this summer – However, we do have a core of a good squad to work with:

Under contract:

Pierce Sweeney (RCB) – Love him, becoming a City legend
Will Aimson (CB) – Rapidly turning his season around with some great performances
Jack Fitzwater (CB) – Not played much due to illness and injury. But a handy player to have in the squad
Ben Purrington (LCB/LWB) – He’s looked good at times but has also had a couple of injuries. A full pre-season and he’ll be a regular.
Vinny Harper (LWB) – Has had a good second half of the season – Needs to become more consistent though
Ilmari Niskanen (RWB/ LWB) – Never ever stops running. A manager’s dream to have in the squad – I like him
Reece Cole (CM) – Classy player with an eye for goal from midfield. Allegedly attracting interest from bigger clubs
Jack Aitchison (CAM) – Had a fantastic run of form since Christmas. Good player and expect more from him next season.
Millenic Alli (CF) – 3 goals in his last 2 have shown what he’s capable of. Still raw but has all the attributes to be a top player for us.
Sonny Cox (CF) – Another player who’s been excellent since Christmas. 5 goals has been a solid return and he needs to improve on that.

Also got some young’uns who should have an opportunity over pre-season to stake a claim for a place in the squad: Pedro Borges, Jake Richards, Charlie Cummings, Ed James etc.

Loans returning:

Vil Sinisalo (GK) – Burton fans said he was awful but they couldn’t have been more wrong. Top ‘keeper and will be missed. Would love him back on loan.
Dion Rankine (RWB/ RW) – On loan from Chelsea – has shown some quality but can’t see him making it at a high level. Maybe one we could get back if he’s released.
Ryan Woods (CM) – Bristol Rovers fans said he was poor, but honestly, he’s probably been one of the main reasons we’ve done so well in 2024. He never gives the ball away and suits our style to a tee. We’re hoping to keep him but wages will be a stumbling block for sure.
Luke Harris (CAM) – On loan from Fulham and he’s a talented boy for one so young. Would love him back on loan again.
Mo Eisa (CF) – Announced he’s definitely not staying. Was expecting much better tbh.
Admiral Muskwe (?) – Is he still alive?!

Out of contract (confirmed as leaving):

Alex Hartridge (LCB) – Been an excellent servant and an academy product. Needs a new challenge – Bristol Rovers bound?
Harry Kite (CM) – As above

Out of contract (Keep if possible):

Zak Jule (LCB) – He’s had a good season and is very consistent. I believe we have an option on his contract, so expecting him to stay.
Cheick Diabate (CB) – Big and powerful defender and another academy product. Have a feeling he will reject a new deal and move on.
Tom Carroll (CM) – 50/50 on him. He’s played way more than I expected due to his previous injury concerns and has shown occasional class. I’d give him a 1 year deal but think he may move on elsewhere.
Caleb Watts (RWB/ CM) – Useful squad player and we have an option on his contract. Keep.
Demetri Mitchell (LW) – Been out since October with a knee injury. Prior to that he was superb and is a top end L1 player. I suspect he’ll still have offers despite his fitness issues, butwould love to keep him if possible. However, suspect he’ll go elsewhere.
Harry Lee (GK) - highly rated but get the feeling is still too young to be number 1. He may want to move on to become a regular somewhere.
Shaun McDonald (GK) - If Lee goes I think he deserves a year contract as backup.

Out of contract (Release):

Kyle Taylor (CM) – Suffered a horrific knee injury in 2022, which he’s come back from but just isn’t L1 level. Would be a good L2 signing for someone.
Yanic Wildschut (LW) – Shown glimpses of quality, like last week at Orient where he was superb, but that’s not enough. Release.
Gary Woods (GK) - Not good enough. Release.
Cheick has just signed an extension for another season..

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Now we've finally been promoted, I thought I'd contribute to this!

In Contract

Will Norris (GK)
Conor Shaughnessy (CB)
Regan Poole (CB)
Tom McIntyre (CB)
Ryley Towler (CB)
Jack Sparkes (LB)
Terry Devlin (CM)
Ben Stevenson (CM)
Owen Moxon (CM)
Tom Lowery (CM)
Gavin Whyte (LW/RW)
Anthony Scully (LW/RW)
Callum Lang (LW/AM/RW)
Christian Saydee (AM/CF)
Colby Bishop (CF)
Kusini Yengi (CF)

I can see most of those players being wanted for next season, but, with competition so fierce at centre back I can see Towler being loaned out to a League One club. Stevenson has been on the fringes all season so he could be loaned/sold too.

Despite both being failed marquee signings last summer, I still think Whyte and Scully have something to offer. The former has started to look good when he has played in 2024 and the latter has had a nightmare with injuries all season and will probably be loaned out to regain his fitness and confidence.

Out of Contract (Keep)

Matt Macey (GK) - Would be a decent back up if he's willing to be second choice. Toby Steward has had an outstanding season on loan at Gosport but not ready to be a Championship deputy yet.
Joe Rafferty (RB) - Has been our unsung hero and a consistent performer. Deserves a new contract but may well be playing second fiddle to Swanson if he signs.
Zak Swanson (RB) - Clearly capable of playing in the Championship and should be pushing to be outright first choice next season.
Sean Raggett (CB) - I would love him to stay given his massive improvement this season but he would be fourth choice centre back if he signed and I'm not sure he would accept those terms. Would leave a cult hero if he decided not to renew.
Conor Ogilvie (LB) - Pompey haven't lost when he has been in the team and has been another unsung hero. I actually think he would struggle in the Championship but would love to be proved wrong.
Marlon Pack (CM) - Probably the best midfielder in League One and local lad. Would be insane not to retain him.
Joe Morrell (CM) - Was a key player until his injury. Definitely deserves a shot at the Championship with us.
Lee Evans (CM) - I'd like to see more of him as he has shown flashes of quality. Just needs to stay fit.

Out of Contract (Release)

Ryan Schofield (GK) - Only ever signed as cheap backup and will only be remembered for arguably the worst goalkeeping performance I've ever seen when Pompey lost 5-2 to Wimbledon in the Pisspot Trophy.
Haji Mnoga (CB) - Not good enough to play League One, let alone Championship.
Liam Vincent (LB) - Has never got a look in at League One level so no way will he be kept on.
Josh Martin (LW/RW) - Hasn't really made an impact and will probably find a L1/L2 club in the summer.

Loan Returns

Tino Anjorin (CM) - Has looked quality when he played but has been injured for most of the season. Wouldn't mind getting another look at him as it's doubtful he'll be playing for Chelsea any time soon.
Alex Robertson (CM) - Could have been our player of the season had he not been injured at the end of 2023 and missed the second half of the season. If Man City allow it, I'd love to see him back.
Myles Peart-Harris (AM) - Didn't set the world alight but he has some talent. Doubt he'll be wanted back and Brentford will probably try and find another L! club for him.
Abu Kamara (LW/RW) - Has transformed into the most lethal winger in League One and we've got no chance of getting him back next season unless Norwich get promoted and are feeling generous enough to loan him back to us.

No one cares about your squad for next season now beat it

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Wrexham!

In Contract: 19 players (18 outfield)

Goalkeepers- Luke McNicholas
Defenders- Max Cleworth, Anthony Forde, Luke Bolton, Jacob Mendy, Tom O' Connor, Will Boyle, Ryan Barnett
Midfielders- Jordan Davies, George Evans, Andy Cannon, James Jones, Elliot Lee
Forwards- Ollie Palmer, Paul Mullin, Jack Marriott, Billy Waters, Sam Dalby, Jake Bickerstaff

Out of Contract:
Scott Butler - Youth Centre Back that we signed from Swansea. Has been out on loan consecutive seasons and is over the cut off now for U21 players so will either be signed on and included in the squad or loaned out again
Owen Cushion - Youth Player so will likely sign on
Dan Davies - Youth player Left Back. Has allegedly been disciplinary issues so may or may not be re-signed.
Steve Fletcher - Has performed well in cameo appearances but struggles when starting games. He is a luxury player and not sure we can fit him in our squad.
Liam Hall - U21 keeper, will probably re-sign
Aaron Hayden - A big quandry. He is a quality centre back, but has suffered terribly with injuries since signing for us. May be released.
Mark Howard - Hardly playing but as keepers dont count towards our squad limit they will probably keep him on as a mentor - depending on who we bring in if we are unsuccessful signing Okonkwo
Aaron James - Young defender - has played a couple of senior games so will
Rob Lainton - while we have a 1 year option on him, he hasnt played a competitive game for us for over a year now. I feel his playing days are numbered and he may well retire.
Callum McFadzean - dependable left back but not league level. release.
James McLean - 1 year option on him and we need to activate it just so he can wind up the rest of you
Eoghan O'Connell - our most consistent defender after Cleworth. Will probably take Tozers place in the starting XI
Ben Tozer - tough one to call. he may be a good backup player but age is creeping up on him - undecided
Jordan Tunnicliffe - see Hayden.
Luke Young - has been our longest serving player for a while. just isnt League 1 quality and will likely move on. was linked with Tranmere in January.

Get Rid in the summer:
Jordan Davies - struggled with injury this season and hasnt had a run in the team. He maybe needs a season loan elsewhere in League 2 to get gametime
Billy Waters - a bizarre signing in the first place. will be going in the summer
Sam Dalby - is a good player but doesnt seem to fit our system. maybe a loan deal for a season elsewhere
Jake Bickerstaff - allegedly well liked by our manager, will chase the ball all day long but isnt prolific in any shape or force. another loan possibly.
Anthony Forde - question marks on his fitness and for those who havent watched the documentary his wife has had a horrendous diagnosis that he has been dealing with concurrently, which the club were happy to give him time off for. I am not saying we will be getting rid, rather he might decide to walk away.

Loans Ending:
Arthur Okonkwo - hopefully we are in with a shout of signing him permanently

Overall Verdict:
18 outfields in contract, another 2 to definitely sign on, 1 unsure and 4 to ship out means we have space to sign 5 or 6 players over 21. we are top heavy with poor strikers for League 1 level so we may sign at least 1 striker in the summer. then its just bolstering our squad to fill in and improve on squad depth/push those currently here down to quad players and improve the starting XI.

Last edited:

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
We are top heavy with poor strikers for League 1 level so we may sign at least 1 striker in the summer.
Really? Mullin and Marriott would walk into most league one sides (maybe not the top 6) I would have thought.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Really? Mullin and Marriott would walk into most league one sides (maybe not the top 6) I would have thought.

talking about the other 4. Palmer will probably be given til January but may find himself a bit part player. the other 3 likely wont be around or will be way down the pecking order. so we probably need 1 more league 1 quality player to offer rotation.

Marriott has taken a bit to get going but he got his first goal against FGR and hopefully that will motivate him

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
talking about the other 4. Palmer will probably be given til January but may find himself a bit part player. the other 3 likely wont be around or will be way down the pecking order. so we probably need 1 more league 1 quality player to offer rotation.

Marriott has taken a bit to get going but he got his first goal against FGR and hopefully that will motivate him
So you want more than two? We have only had one for the whole season

AmberAndy

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
No sure about everyone but Ashworth, Maghoma, Ogbeta, and Ramsey will return to there parent clubs.....no idea on Evatts thoughts about bringing any back.
Bodvarrson and Jerome will surely be released......Bodvarrson will have numerous clubs chasing his signature Jerome will go coaching.
All other players are under Contract hence my confidence of winning lge 1 if we dont go up.
Wonder if we will be in for Bodvarrson, as he very nearly joined us on loan. Think his wages might be a bit tasty for us though.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Cheick has just signed an extension for another season..
Great news, that. Once Jules signs on again (assuming he will), we have more than enough defenders to choose from to play in our back three next season. That said, it wouldn’t shock me if we sold someone like Aimson as there were rumours clubs were in for him in January. Think Wrexham were mentioned.

We’ve also now extended the contract of Shaun McDonald who will likely be our number 2 ‘keeper so the squad is looking pretty solid. Caldwell says he wants to retain 15 players so I imagine he’ll be doing all he can to keep Demi Mitchell, Tom Carroll, Zak Jules etc. And if we can somehow get a couple of the loans back next season, we’ll be laughing.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Wrexham!

Defenders- Max Cleworth, Anthony Forde, Luke Bolton, Jacob Mendy, Tom O' Connor, Will Boyle, Ryan Barnett
Forwards- Ollie Palmer, Paul Mullin, Jack Marriott, Billy Waters, Sam Dalby, Jake Bickerstaff

Out of Contract:
Scott Butler - Youth Centre Back that we signed from Swansea. Has been out on loan consecutive seasons and is over the cut off now for U21 players so will either be signed on and included in the squad or loaned out again
Dan Davies - Youth player Left Back. Has allegedly been disciplinary issues so may or may not be re-signed.
Steve Fletcher - Has performed well in cameo appearances but struggles when starting games. He is a luxury player and not sure we can fit him in our squad.
Aaron Hayden - A big quandry. He is a quality centre back, but has suffered terribly with injuries since signing for us. May be released.
Mark Howard - Hardly playing but as keepers dont count towards our squad limit they will probably keep him on as a mentor - depending on who we bring in if we are unsuccessful signing Okonkwo
Rob Lainton - while we have a 1 year option on him, he hasnt played a competitive game for us for over a year now. I feel his playing days are numbered and he may well retire.
James McLean - 1 year option on him and we need to activate it just so he can wind up the rest of you
Eoghan O'Connell - our most consistent defender after Cleworth. Will probably take Tozers place in the starting XI
Ben Tozer - tough one to call. he may be a good backup player but age is creeping up on him - undecided
Luke Young - has been our longest serving player for a while. just isnt League 1 quality and will likely move on. was linked with Tranmere in January.

Get Rid in the summer:
Jordan Davies - struggled with injury this season and hasnt had a run in the team. He maybe needs a season loan elsewhere in League 2 to get gametime
Billy Waters - a bizarre signing in the first place. will be going in the summer
Sam Dalby - is a good player but doesnt seem to fit our system. maybe a loan deal for a season elsewhere
Jake Bickerstaff - allegedly well liked by our manager, will chase the ball all day long but isnt prolific in any shape or force. another loan possibly.
Anthony Forde - question marks on his fitness and for those who havent watched the documentary his wife has had a horrendous diagnosis that he has been dealing with concurrently, which the club were happy to give him time off for. I am not saying we will be getting rid, rather he might decide to walk away.

Loans Ending:

Overall Verdict:
18 outfields in contract, another 2 to definitely sign on, 1 unsure and 4 to ship out means we have space to sign 5 or 6 players over 21. we are top heavy with poor strikers for League 1 level so we may sign at least 1 striker in the summer. then its just bolstering our squad to fill in and improve on squad depth/push those currently here down to quad players and improve the starting XI.
Has Jones done ok for you lot?

I imagine Palmer will be off? To be fair to him, he's not the type of player who likes hanging around and pick up a wage, he'd rather be playing and I can't imagine he'll get too much action in L1?

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

I imagine Palmer will be off? To be fair to him, he's not the type of player who likes hanging around and pick up a wage, he'd rather be playing and I can't imagine he'll get too much action in L1?
Jones has been in and out of the team for us but is generally dependable

Palmer is out good luck charm. We have a crazy stat that we went 50 games without a loss when he is in the starting XI. He works well with Mullin and he will get at least the start of next season with us I think

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I think Palmer holds the record here for most appearances in a season with the most of those being sub ones. I'm sure it was something daft like 55 appearances and 40 of those sub ones.

He was never quite the same when starting, much better as an impact sub.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I think Palmer holds the record here for most appearances in a season with the most of those being sub ones. I'm sure it was something daft like 55 appearances and 40 of those sub ones.

He was never quite the same when starting, much better as an impact sub.

See he is the opposite for us. Fletcher is very much the impact sub in his 20 minute cameos

Speaking of whom, it seems his player bio on our website has been secretly updated to his contract ending 2025, even though the signing announcement was til end of the season

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Wrexham!

Out of Contract:

Get Rid in the summer:

Loans Ending:

Overall Verdict:
Pretty much how I see it. I'd quite like us to keep Tozer for one more season, just to have his experience around the squad.

Up front Mullin and Marriott are fine. Would be happy for Palmer to give us one more season (can't be easy being based down south still) but Waters, Dalby and Bickerstaff aren't of the quality we need and as good as Fletcher has been this season he's 37 now. Our midfield is OK. Defence needs a bit of an upgrade.

The squad is fairly solid and should be able to step up but to actual compete I think we need one or two quality additions up front in place of the ones leaving. A new leftsided wing back, a new GK (or sign Okonkwo) and upgrades at CB and midfield to replace Hayden/Tunicliffe/Young and Davies.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Jones was a really important player in our promotion out of NL. He never stops running so is a perfect Parky player. Popped up with some important goals too.

He's picked up an injury this year so hasn't featured as much, and unfortunately for him Andy Cannon has been brilliant in his position, but is well thought of and I'm sure he's still in Parkys plans.

He also wins the pre season bleep test contest every single season. Hell of an engine.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Think we'll bring in 6 or 7.

Goalkeepers: Hinchliffe/Back up GK (could still be the current number 2 Jordan Smith but only those who watch the Bristol Street/Papa Johns have seen him play a minute as Hinchliffe hasn't missed a minute. So no idea if this Jordan Smith would want to go and be number 1 somewhere. Hinchliffe sees off new competition every season)

Defenders: Southam Hales, Horsfall, Pye, Rydel, Knoyle, Wright, New CB, Touray, I think we'll see another RB/RWB and LB/LWB option in to as Southam Hales is quality but injury prone and on the left Rydel will be just coming back from an ACL which ended his season in September. Reckon we may try to make Ethan Bristow the LB/LWB on a permanant.

Midfielders: New CDM, Sarcevic, Collar, New Attacking/ box to box Mid, Camps, Powell, Bailey

Strikers: Olaofe, Madden, Wootton, New St, New Wide forward type (we're all praying Villa will let us have Barry again, if he didn't get injured in October-April we could have racked up some points total)

That would mean of contracted players we'd be releasing Croasdale, Hippolyte and Evans. Croasdale been class for us NL and L2 but I reckon L1 may be a step too far for him, Hippolyte probably about the same. Evans we didn't fancy, recalled from Wimbledon in Jan, he's been very good actually but just don't see him here next season and would still see him more as a L2 player than L1 player if we want to be ruthless.

Neil Byrne, a back up defender for us has a year left but definitley not League One quality for me so I imagine he'll be loaned/paid up/transferred and thanked for being a good back up player for us.

Jack Stretton promising striker, got an ACL last summer so not kicked a ball all season. Could see a L2 loan for him to see how he gets back to fitness.

We have a few other loans like Rico Richards who looks a talent but not sure we could guarentee him minutes, Lewis Cass was a stop gap loan from Port Vale because of a defensive injury crisis , Todd Kane was a stop gap free transfer who will be released, think he only played two games. We also had two lads on loan from United and City, Rhys Bennett and Lewis Knight, both barely played almost like they came for work experience and to cover what was essentially a ridiculous injury crisis that we had all season.

Everyone fit we have a very good squad and I reckon the 5-6 additions will be players that we will want to come straight into League One and play to the level.

Last edited:

Throbber_for_Dunk

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge
Needless to say, I haven't taken today's news well.

After spending 13 years erect for Harrison Dunk, it might be a sense of relief cracking out both the happy tissues and the sad tissues.

But still, an all time legend. Statue now mandatory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yorkshire Amber
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!