November 17th midweek bonanza (well one game!)

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Aye I think the stats at about 80 minutes showed both teams had one on target each albeit we had more attempts overall.

Cullen should have done much better when he had a chance from 6 yards out. We do a lot of things nicely and tidily but just are not ruthless enough as a team and I think at this point of the season you pretty much know what sort of team you have.
Can't say I have watched Cullen often but judging by his goals record and his performances in the games I have seen him I don't think he's the man to take you up. A new striker would be first on my list if I'm Askey. I am envious of that Conlon in midfield, he controlled the game tonight.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Aye I think the stats at about 80 minutes showed both teams had one on target each albeit we had more attempts overall.

Cullen should have done much better when he had a chance from 6 yards out. We do a lot of things nicely and tidily but just are not ruthless enough as a team and I think at this point of the season you pretty much know what sort of team you have.

It needed Pope. Loads of crosses but no height. It’s a really shit result that against a side who bar a stunner had no interest in getting out their own third.

We’ve reverted back to the Vale of a few weeks ago.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Can't say I have watched Cullen often but judging by his goals record and his performances in the games I have seen him I don't think he's the man to take you up. A new striker would be first on my list if I'm Askey. I am envious of that Conlon in midfield, he controlled the game tonight.

Yeah Conlon has been very good for the most part since January when he even kept Jake Taylor out the team. First signed by Aspin and to be honest at first thought he was just a body to call upon if needed but under Askey has developed into a very good footballer, has a very cultured left foot. If we had beaten Tranmere on Saturday I dare say their fans might have a different description for him given how he "won" our penalty mind.

Problem we have is each of the four strikers depending on the matchup have a case to make but also glaring weaknesses when we make the wrong call. He is a good finisher but if our plan is to get it wide and put crosses in then he is not your man.

Take nothing away though, thought Tranmere's winner on Saturday was great but Eisa's with the run and shot probably surpasses it. He seems to love playing us.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Came back from 2-0 down to beat Newcastle u21 3-2. None of the 11 that started against Salford were selected tonight.......Isgrove,Darcy,Taft and Miller had decent games.....Comley, White,Crellin and Gordon are just simply not good enough.
That is us now out of all cup competitions, the adage we can concentrate on the league as never rang more true.
Got Stevenage Saturday they played most of there first team and will no doubt have one or two carrying knocks.
Think if we can offload 6 or 7 in January we can bring in a decent keeper and a partner for Doyle. We wont be far off come May

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Fans on the forums really starting to turn on Askey tonight.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
My opinion of that penalty appeal for what it’s worth.
He threw his body in front in an attempt to make a block tackle with his foot (watch his feet), the shot was taken from about a metre away, shot came rising upwards at him quickly, arm was by his side but slightly raised in a natural position for someone in the motion of moving, it did hit his arm but I think given the distance, the power and the position of his arm... Would have been incredibly harsh. Those who’ve never played the game at all will always say it’s a penalty. I’d be screaming for a penalty if it was my team, but neutrally I think harsh.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Think todays game at Scunthorpe is the reason we all love football.......99 out of 100 times they dont win that match.
I thought it was a pen the goal not so sure because you only need to get within two yards of a keeper and its a foul.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
My opinion of that penalty appeal for what it’s worth.
He threw his body in front in an attempt to make a block tackle with his foot (watch his feet), the shot was taken from about a metre away, shot came rising upwards at him quickly, arm was by his side but slightly raised in a natural position for someone in the motion of moving, it did hit his arm but I think given the distance, the power and the position of his arm... Would have been incredibly harsh. Those who’ve never played the game at all will always say it’s a penalty. I’d be screaming for a penalty if it was my team, but neutrally I think harsh.
With VAR that’s given every single time in the modern game. He doesn’t handle it that’s flying in the net.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
With VAR that’s given every single time in the modern game. He doesn’t handle it that’s flying in the net.
Fortunately the ever present human error still exists at this level and its not a tv show like the PL is now. Under normal circumstances anyway.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I’d say if somehow he’d managed to cut his arm off within that millisecond, there’s a reasonable chance it hits the side of his head rather than fly in the net.

The blokes running VAR have probably never even played Sunday morning football.

Brox

Reaction score
Supports
Stevenage
Drew 0-0 with Northampton in the EFL Trophy, lost 4-2 on penalties. 8 changes from the weekend draw with Morecambe, we equipped ourselves well vs a strong (on paper) Northampton team. Wasn't the best game but for a 0-0 wasn't too bad I suppose. Northampton worked Cumming on a couple of occasions first half and Rose was wasteful with an effort second half but I'd say we just about edged it, had a few chances of our own, but once again lacked a cutting edge in front of goal.

Akinwande probably had his best game for the club, was lively and a handful for the Northampton defence but wasteful in front of goal and an awful penalty in the shoot out too. Good to see Iontton back, he played pretty well in the middle.

That result puts us out of the competition with MK Dons and Northampton progressing. With the Scunthorpe result tonight we're back in the relegation zone, better get used to it as I have a horrible feeling that we're here to stay.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I’d say if somehow he’d managed to cut his arm off within that millisecond, there’s a reasonable chance it hits the side of his head rather than fly in the net.

The blokes running VAR have probably never even played Sunday morning football.
I think they are referees from the EFL which explains why so many balloons from the National League are promoted so fast before they are ready. As some tv pundit said recently it would make more sense to use recently retired referees for VAR. At least they still have a slight grasp on how things work. Couldn't see Mike Dean liking it much though without being on camera. He can be very vocal in his opinions of bad refereeing at games. Shouting from first hand knowledge i suppose.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think tonight is the first time I’ve really thought, is Askey the man for the job to be honest. Last season he did a wonderful job with lower expectation, we beat your Swindon, Crewe’s, Exeter’s, Colchester’s etc in games we didn’t expect, went Man City and performed so heroically but the issue and what cost us last season was failure to beat the poor sides, poor performances at home to Stevenage, away to Macclesfield (home as well), Morecambe away. It was predictable we’d batter a top side at home then look useless against a side struggling.

I think he’s an underdog, great getting us up for games where teams come at us, play good football and well usually beat those teams week in week out. Unlike last season though we are expected to win more games, one of the favourites and more teams are now defending deep, fearing us more and respecting us more. Don’t think I’ve seen a side defend like Scunthorpe and Morecambe this season have against us in their own 1/3 for 90 minutes but worked.

If we want promotion we might have to get rid, I don’t think he is a manager that can take a team expected to do well. He’s a manager that will do well with a team unfancied and with the backing he has had he can’t have any excuses this season.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
In the current climate I’d have said Vale penalty and nigh on impossible to judge the disallowed effort from that footage.

PVFCdyl

Reaction score
Supports
Port vale
I think tonight is the first time I’ve really thought, is Askey the man for the job to be honest. Last season he did a wonderful job with lower expectation, we beat your Swindon, Crewe’s, Exeter’s, Colchester’s etc in games we didn’t expect, went Man City and performed so heroically but the issue and what cost us last season was failure to beat the poor sides, poor performances at home to Stevenage, away to Macclesfield (home as well), Morecambe away. It was predictable we’d batter a top side at home then look useless against a side struggling.

I think he’s an underdog, great getting us up for games where teams come at us, play good football and well usually beat those teams week in week out. Unlike last season though we are expected to win more games, one of the favourites and more teams are now defending deep, fearing us more and respecting us more. Don’t think I’ve seen a side defend like Scunthorpe and Morecambe this season have against us in their own 1/3 for 90 minutes but worked.

If we want promotion we might have to get rid, I don’t think he is a manager that can take a team expected to do well. He’s a manager that will do well with a team unfancied and with the backing he has had he can’t have any excuses this season.
I’ve felt this way for a considerable amount of time. I’ve voiced it before but no real comments back. I’m not at the point where I would be booing at home games and singing for him to be sacked but I do very much think I would be a lot more optimistic seeing him sacked, right now I think our inconsistency will drag us to around 8th - 11th. I have the up most respect and gratitude to John Askey for what he did for Vale. We were awful but Football is a fast moving game, you can win a title one season and be sacked the next, you can’t be kept in a role because of what you did a season or two ago. We haven’t improved from last season, you are right, we could beat the top teams last season but not the bottom. We didn’t really care though because we were overachieving but this season it’s standing out like a sore thumb. A lot of people don’t respect sides like Watford, Salford or these sides that are happy to boot a manager out so early but these are the sides which get promoted because you need to be cut throat in football to move forward. I look at Askey like he’s in an all you can eat restaurant. Over facing himself and not knowing which players to pick, this is also another example of where he doesn’t have a plan b, we get to the 60th minute and it’s as if he just rolls a dice with the substitutes and we lose all shape and game management. It’s not a cup final, you need a manager that can read a game and think right we need this guy on. For me, tonight screamed Tom Pope and McKirdy! The amount of balls that came in but Cullen was never going to win. McKirdy has the ability to stretch teams, this would have freed up space for the midfielders to find that cutting edge pass. As soon as it went 1-0 I knew i could have just switched it off because that was 100% the final score. In all honesty, looking at the long term of vales future, I don’t think we would be able to maintain this style of play in league 1 anyway. I’m intrigued to see how Carol will be, I don’t expect her to get rid during the closed doors but I think she would be very susceptible to getting rid by fans reaction. If a large enough fan base voiced this I think she would react to please the supporters.

PVFCdyl

Reaction score
Supports
Port vale
In the current climate I’d have said Vale penalty and nigh on impossible to judge the disallowed effort from that footage.
Agreed, I have no comment on the disallowed goal because the angle is impossible to place an opinion. Penalty would have been harsh but in today’s game it’s a definite pen.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I’m sorry but it is utterly insane to sack Askey. Everything the club has been trying to do is create some stability after the Smurthwaite years and people would seriously want to go and completely undermine that at the first sign of a wobble? I could understand if we’re in the bottom six but we are one win off the top three. That’s hardly a disaster.

I’d also ask if anyone does want him gone who would you replace him with? I saw one person elsewhere suggest Alexander. Someone who was barely above mediocre given his resources at Salford. No thanks.

Just also on the subject of McKirdy before people go crowning him as the League 2 Ronaldo or something like that can he do something against a live opponent not just Liverpool’s under 8’s team? All I’ve seen when he’s had minutes otherwise is a player who flatters to deceive, a poor mans Ian Armstrong.

Vale on Trent

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I said it all pre-season and nothing has changed, we don’t score enough goals. Our main priority all summer should have been to sign a number 9 that would be first choice and get a run of games. What we actually have is 4 strikers of similar ability who end up getting rotated every so many games. Askey doesn’t know which one is best or when to play the right one. What we needed was to settle on a first choice striker and build our game around him. You just can’t play Pope one game, Cullen the next and if both of them fail chuck Robinson or Rodney in.

Last season we shot to promotion contenders from out of the blue. We now have expectation on us which means teams are showing us more respect, sitting in and defending. Last seasons game plan simply isn’t working, we need to figure out how to break teams down and actually look like scoring.

I still believe that we’ll be there or there about and there shouldn’t be any reason to over react. If we find a scoring formula then we will win a hell of a lot more games than we’ll draw or lose. I just hope Askey can find a way to break teams down.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
I honestly don't know why Vale fans would even want Askey out during his second season into a project where a club well and truly on its arse under the previous two managers have been transformed into a club displaying some form of competency and are well geared up to challenge for a Top 7 spot. And that Vale side under Michael Brown in particular was an absolute embarrassment.

Look at us. Took Artell 3 and a half years to get us up. His first half season was to fight the fires of Davis' reign of terror. He then had a disappointing first full season although ended on a high. And then the first half of his second full season saw us 22nd on Boxing Day. But we beat top of the league Lincoln and we've never looked back for the last two years.

It's also worth noting in his first two full seasons, we blew a ton of leads as our defence cracked under the slightest of pressure. Some leads were blown in spectacular circumstances. What separated the likes of Swindon, Plymouth and us from the 5 teams below us was the fact that we knew how to score at key moments and see games out. Whereas Colchester and Vale in particular blew leads for fun all last season despite having sturdy defensive records.

It's the league with the most parity in it League Two. Every side in that division could finish 1st or 24th given the circumstances. No one is too small to go up nor is anyone too big to go down. But to sack Askey when Vale's previous two managers almost took them out of the league is absolutely ludicrous. Shrewsbury unfairly sacked him for the heinous crime of not being Paul Hurst and replaced him with a totally inexperienced fraud who will get his long overdue P45 in a matter of weeks. Askey took Macclesfield to the Football League in bizarre circumstances and on a shoestring. But it took him years to build that Macc side too.

A lot of Vale fans were confident of promotion this season. And I believe they'll be Top 7 come May. But you just have to look at other sides who are also undergoing similar long term projects. Newport, Cheltenham, Exeter and Forest Green have had that continuity for longer than Vale have. You've got the likes of Cambridge and Carlisle hitting the ground running. It's a league where the winner never seems to run away with it on their own if you look at the previous 10 years.

Sack Askey and replace him with a misfit for the club and you'll end up like Notts County in a couple of years. Luckily, your owners aren't as shite as Smurthwaite was, so they won't even entertain the thought.

Vale on Trent

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I honestly don't know why Vale fans would even want Askey out during his second season into a project where a club well and truly on its arse under the previous two managers have been transformed into a club displaying some form of competency and are well geared up to challenge for a Top 7 spot. And that Vale side under Michael Brown in particular was an absolute embarrassment.

Look at us. Took Artell 3 and a half years to get us up. His first half season was to fight the fires of Davis' reign of terror. He then had a disappointing first full season although ended on a high. And then the first half of his second full season saw us 22nd on Boxing Day. But we beat top of the league Lincoln and we've never looked back for the last two years.

It's also worth noting in his first two full seasons, we blew a ton of leads as our defence cracked under the slightest of pressure. Some leads were blown in spectacular circumstances. What separated the likes of Swindon, Plymouth and us from the 5 teams below us was the fact that we knew how to score at key moments and see games out. Whereas Colchester and Vale in particular blew leads for fun all last season despite having sturdy defensive records.

It's the league with the most parity in it League Two. Every side in that division could finish 1st or 24th given the circumstances. No one is too small to go up nor is anyone too big to go down. But to sack Askey when Vale's previous two managers almost took them out of the league is absolutely ludicrous. Shrewsbury unfairly sacked him for the heinous crime of not being Paul Hurst and replaced him with a totally inexperienced fraud who will get his long overdue P45 in a matter of weeks. Askey took Macclesfield to the Football League in bizarre circumstances and on a shoestring. But it took him years to build that Macc side too.

A lot of Vale fans were confident of promotion this season. And I believe they'll be Top 7 come May. But you just have to look at other sides who are also undergoing similar long term projects. Newport, Cheltenham, Exeter and Forest Green have had that continuity for longer than Vale have. You've got the likes of Cambridge and Carlisle hitting the ground running. It's a league where the winner never seems to run away with it on their own if you look at the previous 10 years.

Sack Askey and replace him with a misfit for the club and you'll end up like Notts County in a couple of years. Luckily, your owners aren't as shite as Smurthwaite was, so they won't even entertain the thought.

Typical knee jerk reaction from Vale fans that’s all. Win a few games and we are going to win the league at a canter, lose a few games and it’s Askey out.

I genuinely think that many Vale fans expected us to walk the league. Askey is a solid manager, he’s not perfect but he’s massively improved us. Yes, we are struggling to kill teams off or break them down but we are actually dominating games, something that I haven’t seen in years from a Vale team. We used to go away from home and defend for 90 minutes until we finally concede.

If we don’t make the play offs then I would see it as failure. I believe we are good enough to do so. It’s a long season and we are currently one point outside of the play offs. Let’s just see how the next month or so progresses.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I’m sorry but it is utterly insane to sack Askey. Everything the club has been trying to do is create some stability after the Smurthwaite years and people would seriously want to go and completely undermine that at the first sign of a wobble? I could understand if we’re in the bottom six but we are one win off the top three. That’s hardly a disaster.

I’d also ask if anyone does want him gone who would you replace him with? I saw one person elsewhere suggest Alexander. Someone who was barely above mediocre given his resources at Salford. No thanks.

Just also on the subject of McKirdy before people go crowning him as the League 2 Ronaldo or something like that can he do something against a live opponent not just Liverpool’s under 8’s team? All I’ve seen when he’s had minutes otherwise is a player who flatters to deceive, a poor mans Ian Armstrong.
It depends if we want to progress from here or not, it just has the feeling of this is as far as he can take us.

Same mistakes week in week out and despite a better squad we've arguably started to regress from last season on the pitch.

Tranmere 3-2 up in the 90th minute, 1 sub left... where was Brisley to see it out?

Scunthorpe - game play to get it wide to Woz and Amoo and get balls in the box... picks our smallest striker

Its basics that anyone can see. I will be thankful for the change and progress up to now, the great memories last season, especially that night at the Etihad but this season he has made mistake after mistake since Match Day 3. I dont see us making the play offs whilst we can't beat the teams that park the bus... and more will.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The pen is one that would be given in the Prem after spending 5 mins checking and determining that the defender simply isn't able to cut his arm off before a speeding ball collides with his arm from less than a couple of feet. At this level, it's one of those where you can give the ref the benefit of the doubt.

As for the disallowed goal, it looks to me like the keeper loses it when colliding with the post and Cullen finishes. Can't see any impeding there at all.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
The pen is one that would be given in the Prem after spending 5 mins checking and determining that the defender simply isn't able to cut his arm off before a speeding ball collides with his arm from less than a couple of feet. At this level, it's one of those where you can give the ref the benefit of the doubt.

As for the disallowed goal, it looks to me like the keeper loses it when colliding with the post and Cullen finishes. Can't see any impeding there at all.
you obviously have never played the game, yes i can accept what you say if he had attacked the player from another angle ie he was going for the ball in a tackle.....The defender knew exactly what he was doing
it was a penalty and perhaps a straight red

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
you obviously have never played the game, yes i can accept what you say if he had attacked the player from another angle ie he was going for the ball in a tackle.....The defender knew exactly what he was doing
it was a penalty and perhaps a straight red
Do you do this deliberately?

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Do you do this deliberately?
no i was giving my opinion.....just the same as si Robin....the player dived in front of the ball ...you can see the angle he came from, if you played the game you would know that......just saying
What i am saying in lay mans terms he went head first and not feet first

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!