Match Day October 23rd

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Typical LJL miss but why is the best player in the league passing from that position?
I don't necessarily agree with this, seen a few other Town fans saying it and Hurst did. If McAtee shoots he should be scoring yes, but there is a higher chance that it's saved than if he squares it to a player with an open net. Or at least there would be if that player isn't Lenny. These typical Lenny misses aren't a problem when we're winning but there's no defence for him if they start costing us points.

I'll refrain from mentioning that the perennially injured Hamez Hanson scored again for Farsley yesterday and has 4 in the league now.
It's a shit pass as well. Obviously should score, but makes him really stretch for it.
He rolls it like you would for a 6 year old with an open net, it's not inch perfect but it's going so slowly that I don't see the pass as a valid criticism really. Will have to wait until I see it from the proper angle, but it doesn't look like he needs to stretch that much.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I’m not sure how much longer LJL fan boys can continue to defend him with misses like that before they realise it’s not some witch hunt against him.

Their go to defence case of ‘if he could score he’d not be at this level’ has now been blown out the water by Ryan Taylor so there can’t be much more to cling onto now surely?

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I don't necessarily agree with this, seen a few other Town fans saying it and Hurst did. If McAtee shoots he should be scoring yes, but there is a higher chance that it's saved than if he squares it to a player with an open net. Or at least there would be if that player isn't Lenny. These typical Lenny misses aren't a problem when we're winning but there's no defence for him if they start costing us points.

I'll refrain from mentioning that the perennially injured Hamez Hanson scored again for Farsley yesterday and has 4 in the league now.

He rolls it like you would for a 6 year old with an open net, it's not inch perfect but it's going so slowly that I don't see the pass as a valid criticism really. Will have to wait until I see it from the proper angle, but it doesn't look like he needs to stretch that much.
Tbf Hurst defends Lenny to the hilt on all occasions, it’s obviously a man management tactic so can’t fault him for that but I’d take Hurst deflecting to blame to McAtee with a pinch of salt

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Yeah my way of thinking is that if McAtee shoots there and doesn’t score people would say ‘why didn’t he pass to the guy with an open goal in front of him?’

Although the guy with the open goal being LJL I would guess would be a valid reason not to pass it.

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
Tbf Hurst defends Lenny to the hilt on all occasions, it’s obviously a man management tactic so can’t fault him for that but I’d take Hurst deflecting to blame to McAtee with a pinch of salt
Doesn't look like he's particulatly stretching to me, just looks like he's never kicked with his left foot before. Like SoC, i'll reserve full judgement once i've seen the proper angle. Either way, if it's a bad pass by McAtee or it's Lenny out-Lennying himself, it's an absolute shocker.

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Where are they???? :dk:
Anyone seen the 2 clowns??
COME OUT COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!
Fucking wankers!

Seriously, do you get it now? Huh? Do you understand what I'm talking about now? :ds:

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Taylor back for us next week?

Not sure, we don't know why he was out yet. Might have been Covid, though I was told before the cup game last weekend that he hadn't trained that week either, so if that is true could be an injury that has not been mentioned, or it is covid.

If its Covid he won't be back as Hurst said those with Covid would also miss the next two games.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

Actually in the next sentence Hurst said Lenny should have hit the target on the one that went in the side netting so he isn't above criticism from Hurst.

I also agree that was a pretty bad miss even by LJLs standards, luckily it didn't cost us anything but it could well have done, I was convinced he would miss the penalty too. However I saw that video before listening to Hurst or reading reports and my first reaction was why is McAtee not shooting from that position!

Luckily we are scoring goals from everywhere and don't even have a proper goal scoring striker which despite how we have done so far, if we don't get one by Jan then I believe we won't be winning the league without one.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Taylor back for us next week?
I don't know why he was missing, I asked on here but don't think anyone responded. I wasn't really on my phone yesterday at all and I was out all day so wasn't really checking Town news other than following the score.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Not sure, we don't know why he was out yet. Might have been Covid, though I was told before the cup game last weekend that he hadn't trained that week either, so if that is true could be an injury that has not been mentioned, or it is covid.

If its Covid he won't be back as Hurst said those with Covid would also miss the next two games.
COVID is/was apparently Longe-King and Efete and just those two, I'd heard?

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
COVID is/was apparently Longe-King and Efete and just those two, I'd heard?

not heard who they are, obviously just rumours, Efete would be a good guess as he didn't even make the bench, don't think King would have been involved anyhow, only other one really missing was Taylor so could be him or rumours he was already injured could also be true.

No media asked the question as they just assumed he was resting for the cup game and now just assume its Covid and so Hurst won't answer. It was just in a group chat I'm in that someone who works at the training ground said he wasn't involved in training prior to the cup game.

ForzaCounty

Massive Member
Reaction score
Supports
Stockport Culture Club
Not much to add today that wasn't said yesterday, County were insipid, rudderless, a chore to watch etc. and a more relentless opponent would have absolutely thrashed us. As it was we came achingly close to snatching the world's least deserved draw, which would have been worth it to see the manager come over to celebrate at the end and still get pelters from the fans

Two things that stick in my (mildly hungover) mind, we got a penalty for a dangerously high foot right at the end, but there was an even higher foot a few minutes earlier that caught Croasdale (might've been Whitfield?) and got nothing, absolute straight red I thought. Speaking of red card shouts, Quigley and their 16 try to head the same ball, touch of heads, Qugley carries on and the home fans froth at the mouth for a red card because the 16 stays down like he's concussed. Funnily enough he was right as rain as soon as the ref drew a yellow.

Not that our own players were above a bit of play-acting, Quigley, Crankshaw and others were more than happy to throw themselves to ground on occasion. I can accept players being inept, but much was made of a new culture at the club, and this is something that has deliberately crept in over the last nine months, and I have to say, Messrs Wilson and Rusk can take that culture and shove it up their arses as lube for their impending P45s. Fuck off the lot of 'em.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Was that high foot the one down our end? If so, it could’ve been a booking, but wouldn’t have been a red because Vincent was just trying to control the ball rather than kick it, so was no force to make it ‘dangerous play’. I think the Quigley/DKE incident was just a case of Quigley somehow losing a header to a man who is four feet tall and heading him instead. I don’t really know how Rawlinson got away without a second yellow for his kung-fu kick for the penalty, mind.

It’s sometimes really easy to put things down to desire and effort and that kind of stuff when it’s going badly, but you looked a classic case of that to me. It can often seem a problem for us, but we were first to every second ball all game, and just looked more bothered and more like a team. When it’s two 3-5-2s against each other a lot comes down to winning individual battles, particularly with the wing backs, and with most there was no real contest. There’s definitely something not right at your place.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Yeah it’s not a phrase I like very much, but we definitely ‘wanted it more’.

Having seen the penalty incident again, it was actually Cameron who was more to blame. It should still be of some concern that we very nearly managed to fuck up a game we dominated from start to finish.

ForzaCounty

Massive Member
Reaction score
Supports
Stockport Culture Club
I've seen many players during our numerous relegations who clearly had a lack of desire, who would go missing during games; that's not what I've seen from this bunch, either yesterday or this season. They're not wage-stealers, most of them have shown (and within the past year or two) that they have the work ethic & mentality to succeed at this level or higher.

They still ran their hearts out, they still did what they could in the margins (even if that involved gamesmanship), the main difference to me was simply coherence, cohesiveness and anything else beginning with cohe. We've long decried the lack of a plan B but too often there's barely a plan A, this game was lost before a ball was even kicked. I don't know what happens in our pre-match planning but I can see its effect, or lack thereof, and no quality of the individual can make up for that.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

I've seen many players during our numerous relegations who clearly had a lack of desire, who would go missing during games; that's not what I've seen from this bunch, either yesterday or this season. They're not wage-stealers, most of them have shown (and within the past year or two) that they have the work ethic & mentality to succeed at this level or higher.

They still ran their hearts out, they still did what they could in the margins (even if that involved gamesmanship), the main difference to me was simply coherence, cohesiveness and anything else beginning with cohe. We've long decried the lack of a plan B but too often there's barely a plan A, this game was lost before a ball was even kicked. I don't know what happens in our pre-match planning but I can see its effect, or lack thereof, and no quality of the individual can make up for that.
I thought you ran hard and tried right to the final whistle, wouldn't question your attitude.
Something will have to change though, ten goals in eleven with your squad isn't good enough whoever's fault it is.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Not trying isn’t really fair, more of an intensity or mentality thing. Didn’t really get the sense anyone believed in what they were being asked to do.

Colinmorriswalksonwater

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Akinola is a starter for most teams at this level. I don't understand Southend's treatment of him.
Not the majority of the fans, Phil Brown! That explains his treatment, not Phil Browns "cup of tea".
He, Who let him stagnate ,so now the new team management have to get him match fit, so he can be part of our new way forward.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I don't know where Asante fits into the puzzle with Rowe and Tshimanga doing so well together. It'll be nice to have him as an option though won't it. The others are huge misses especially non league Grealish, oh Mandy just isn't a replacement. Wish I coulda gone today but we're away at Blackpool to see the lights with the young ens. Kabongo just different gravy ain't he

3 up top is the only option. All too good to put on the bench.

Kenneth Dodd

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
I don't know where Asante fits into the puzzle with Rowe and Tshimanga doing so well together. It'll be nice to have him as an option though won't it. The others are huge misses especially non league Grealish, oh Mandy just isn't a replacement. Wish I coulda gone today but we're away at Blackpool to see the lights with the young ens. Kabongo just different gravy ain't he

3 up top is the only option. All too good to put on the bench.
A loan move back to us to get him match fit would be right for both parties, you know it makes sense:hypo:

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
A full 30 hours after the game, still not a PEEP from those 2 "true" Shaymen clowns. Not a peep.

Didn't win, don't want to know, you see.

I'm a REAL supporter. I'm here 24/7 month in, year out, whether we win, lose or draw. I'll take the glory when we win, and I'll face the music when we don't. You can count on it. :bdick:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
A full 30 hours after the game, still not a PEEP from those 2 "true" Shaymen clowns. Not a peep.

Didn't win, don't want to know, you see.

I'm a REAL supporter. I'm here 24/7 month in, year out, whether we win, lose or draw. I'll take the glory when we win, and I'll face the music when we don't. You can count on it. :bdick:
You need professional help.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Akinola is a starter for most teams at this level. I don't understand Southend's treatment of him.

So this is what I was told about Akinola. Start of the season Brown and Fagan wanted him in the team, he went to them and said he wouldn't be involved with the first team and he'd told the club to find him a new team. At first there was an argument about it but Akinola was adamant and basically stopped training.
Craig Fagan said to me Southend had offered him to everyone they could think of, no one would take him, I think mainly because the club want a fee for him.
Now it would appear he is willing to play for the team, even before Brown departed, but he's been training for what, 3 weeks? Hopefully he'll keep being willing to play, keep training and in a month or so be ready to start.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Watched the highlights and whilst LJL rightly deserves criticism for the amount of chances he misses, I think there was only one chance in those highlights from us that LJL wasn't involved in. Every other chance including the lead up to the penalty, McAtees goal and the great shot from Clifton, LJL was involved right before the assist.

He brings a lot to the side, unfortunately he is like a keeper, one mistake and everything is his fault, but all the other good stuff that doesn't create headlines is forgotten about.

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
Probably a fair result on the South Coast on Saturday although I'd say we edged it based off chances. Weymouth set up in a 4-4-2 formation (looked like a diamond) which went against what Stuart Maynard thought would be the case. Cameron Murray was excellent for them I thought, very intelligent in his positioning and reading of the game and got them on the front foot when on the ball.

As for us, the build up play at the back wasn't a complete waste of time as Weymouth weren't pressing as a collective so we were able to get through the lines and have plenty of meaningful possession in their final third.

Their goal was a horrific error from Jack Cook who had a bit of a shocker in the first half (much improved in the second) whilst our goal was a lovely flick from Connor McAvoy from a Charlie Cooper free kick.

Ross Fitzsimon's in the Weymouth goal was slow to dive down to anything, just a shame we didn't pepper the Weymouth goal a bit more. The same criticism applies to Paul Jones in the King's Lynn goal, I've seen trees fall over quicker than the pair of them.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Watched the highlights and whilst LJL rightly deserves criticism for the amount of chances he misses, I think there was only one chance in those highlights from us that LJL wasn't involved in. Every other chance including the lead up to the penalty, McAtees goal and the great shot from Clifton, LJL was involved right before the assist.

He brings a lot to the side, unfortunately he is like a keeper, one mistake and everything is his fault, but all the other good stuff that doesn't create headlines is forgotten about.
I actually agree that he looks decent in the highlights.

It is hilariously North Korea of us to omit the miss from the highlights though.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

It is hilariously North Korea of us to omit the miss from the highlights though.

Haha I thought I just missed it from the video, but you are right it wasn't even shown

Edit
It's in the match day Moments video and pass doesn't look as bad from that angle

Last edited:

Magpie Mike

Reaction score
Supports
Maidenhead
So this is what I was told about Akinola. Start of the season Brown and Fagan wanted him in the team, he went to them and said he wouldn't be involved with the first team and he'd told the club to find him a new team. At first there was an argument about it but Akinola was adamant and basically stopped training.
Craig Fagan said to me Southend had offered him to everyone they could think of, no one would take him, I think mainly because the club want a fee for him.
Now it would appear he is willing to play for the team, even before Brown departed, but he's been training for what, 3 weeks? Hopefully he'll keep being willing to play, keep training and in a month or so be ready to start.
Doesn't sound like the sort of player I would want.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Have to admit, I've always been on the fence with Lenny but these "brings a lot to the side" arguments are wearing a bit thin for me. DN35 pod saying that if you don't appreciate what he "brings to the side" then you don't know about any of the complexities of the game? :lol: Get to fuck. I know full well what his positive attributes are and how he helps the team, I just don't think that they should overshadow his shortcomings of which there are a multitude. Just as his shortcomings shouldn't overshadow what he does well.

That's ridiculous. Whoever has made that call needs to have a word with themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!