Opening Weekend Matchday Thread

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I'm sure there are better right backs around but I can see Jones fitting into a top three team. It's a bit unfair to judge him on a loan spell when the team were on form before he joined.

The fact you keep picking up on his pace as a weakness and the fact that he replaced Haydn White in your team kind of fit together. Sounds like you tried to bring in a replacement for one of the fastest defenders in the league and didn't change your style of play to reflect the loss in pace; that's not the player's fault. It would be like replacing Peter Crouch in your team with Michael Owen and then complaining that nobody's getting on the end of the headers.
To be fair White was probably the fastest player in the entire league :lol:

Some fair points, but defensively he was mediocre too, and his delivery was probably below that for Mansfield. I think he’s going to do okay, but Bolton could have got better without a doubt, and the fact he’s likely to play RWB I believe? Makes it a even more strange signing.

I think in all likelihood, Jones playing in a team that finished 18th last season is about right for him, but admittedly you do get players that manage to fit in and do better than expectations sometimes.

I’m not saying you are, but a common theme among football fans is severely underestimating the difference between RB and RWB, football managers do it too (Flitcroft) It’s not a easy swap.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
To be fair White was probably the fastest player in the entire league :lol:

Some fair points, but defensively he was mediocre too, and his delivery was probably below that for Mansfield. I think he’s going to do okay, but Bolton could have got better without a doubt, and the fact he’s likely to play RWB I believe? Makes it a even more strange signing.

I think in all likelihood, Jones playing in a team that finished 18th last season is about right for him, but admittedly you do get players that manage to fit in and do better than expectations sometimes.

I’m not saying you are, but a common theme among football fans is severely underestimating the difference between RB and RWB, football managers do it too (Flitcroft) It’s not a easy swap.
Well I can't comment on his ability in the wing-back position as we never saw him there, but as a right-back he still displayed some abilities that would be useful as a wing-back. Either his crossing has improved a lot since he was at Mansfield or Mansfield were asking the wrong things of him because while he was with us his crossing ability looked to be up there.

He may not have the out and out speed of most wing-backs but I don't think he was a slouch either, I didn't see him get beaten to the ball by average wingers very often, and was still excellent when it came to going past his man and when it came to stamina.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Well I can't comment on his ability in the wing-back position as we never saw him there, but as a right-back he still displayed some abilities that would be useful as a wing-back. Either his crossing has improved a lot since he was at Mansfield or Mansfield were asking the wrong things of him because while he was with us his crossing ability looked to be up there.

He may not have the out and out speed of most wing-backs but I don't think he was a slouch either, I didn't see him get beaten to the ball by average wingers very often, and was still excellent when it came to going past his man and when it came to stamina.

I cannot wait for the Bolton fans liking your posts to be underwhelmed :D

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I think momentum carried through from friendlies, the EFL trophy and League Cup will play a large role in the first few games of the season and we don't seem to have any. Cambridge do, and will have the boost of fans in the stadium (though not for the first time) so can see this being 2-0 to them.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
If Kayode and Patrick are back I think we’ll maybe score. But defend like we did yesterday and previous games, and if Farman still plays, we’ll concede at least 3 if not more.

Cambridge 4-1 Carlisle

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Interesting hearing how Bolton are playing a 3-5-2 with very attacking wing backs, CB's who like to go forward and try to dominate possession. Literally exactly the same tactics as us.

Be interesting to see who does it better. After yesterday it looks like neither...

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Interesting hearing how Bolton are playing a 3-5-2 with very attacking wing backs, CB's who like to go forward and try to dominate possession. Literally exactly the same tactics as us.

Be interesting to see who does it better. After yesterday it looks like neither...

Same as half the clubs in this division too. We've seemingly kept with those tactics too, but most of the players are already familiar with it from last season.

Alanstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I genuinely think Mansfield are in for a real slow start, think I would take a point against Tranmere myself.
We've let 18 players go and brought 10 new players in so I think in that situation a mixed start is to be expected. As long as we can see some improvement in the first 10 games then I won't be worried, I think it could take another transfer window to get us in a position to really push on.

PS Gethin Jones is absolutely wank, can't defend and below average going forward.

1st Goal: Their player runs off of his shoulder and burns him for pace.
2nd Goal: With all the time in the world to clear the ball, he decides the best place to head it is straight to their player to have a free shot.
3rd Goal: What is he even doing? He shoves their player into Preston, who wins the header as he's ball side. But then realises he's left his marker (same player as 1st goal) completely unmarked.

To add insult to injury, that player he made look like a world beater? He made 6 apps for Chesterfield in the lower regions of the conference last season.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
If we play like we did v Harrogate, Mansfield won't have much to worry about. The marquee signings seemed off the pace, maybe a consequence of our later return after furlough than many others. Expecting a slow start for Rovers, particularly given a relatively tough opening set of fixtures.

meanderson

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
We've let 18 players go and brought 10 new players in so I think in that situation a mixed start is to be expected. As long as we can see some improvement in the first 10 games then I won't be worried, I think it could take another transfer window to get us in a position to really push on.

PS Gethin Jones is absolutely wank, can't defend and below average going forward.

1st Goal: Their player runs off of his shoulder and burns him for pace.
2nd Goal: With all the time in the world to clear the ball, he decides the best place to head it is straight to their player to have a free shot.
3rd Goal: What is he even doing? He shoves their player into Preston, who wins the header as he's ball side. But then realises he's left his marker (same player as 1st goal) completely unmarked.

To add insult to injury, that player he made look like a world beater? He made 6 apps for Chesterfield in the lower regions of the conference last season.

Lovely break down... He was fine yesterday.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
If we play like we did v Harrogate, Mansfield won't have much to worry about. The marquee signings seemed off the pace, maybe a consequence of our later return after furlough than many others. Expecting a slow start for Rovers, particularly given a relatively tough opening set of fixtures.
Confident as ever then.

Dan Phillips

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

What sort of side you putting out on Tuesday?

Huntsman94

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers

I would imagine it will largely be a second string. We got a couple of injuries against Harrogate and can’t see us risking many first teamers on Tuesday. Mansfield on Saturday obviously the big one!

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I would imagine it will largely be a second string. We got a couple of injuries against Harrogate and can’t see us risking many first teamers on Tuesday. Mansfield on Saturday obviously the big one!
It’s hard to call. Mike Jackson is making a thing about our players lacking match fitness, so he might want to give some of the likely starters for Mansfield game time to build that up. Could equally go the way Huntsman94 suggests. My preference would be to rest our best players from the weekend and Vaughan.

Are Vale likely to be putting out a strong line-up?

Dan Phillips

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It’s hard to call. Mike Jackson is making a thing about our players lacking match fitness, so he might want to give some of the likely starters for Mansfield game time to build that up. Could equally go the way Huntsman94 suggests. My preference would be to rest our best players from the weekend and Vaughan.

Are Vale likely to be putting out a strong line-up?

It'll probably look strong on paper given we've had four usual starters just return to training. 2 started at Scunthorpe but 2 didn't. Another absentee too who'd usually start wasn't even in the squad. I'd expect 4 or 5 outfield changes and the keeper but it'll still be a half decent side with a handful of young lads pushing for a start. Whilst the format is under huge scrutiny, and rightly so, I've always loved this competition having seen us win it twice. The financial rewards will be hugely beneficial in the current circumstances so hope we go for the win but don't risk any players that aren't fully fit, physically, at least.

Reactions: Boz

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I imagine Tom Pope will start being banned for the league and carabao ties (6 games), will probably bring in the likes of Brisley, Amoo if fit and some of the returnees from injuries last week like Montano and Oyeleke probably will get minutes.

I reckon

Visser

Mills
Brisley
Crookes
Montano

Whitehead
Burgess
Oyeleke

Amoo
Rodney

Pope

something like that, large rotation but have to factor in we have the cup game next week too so at least 5 games in 2 weeks and potentially another 2 game week after that if we beat Fleetwood.

Strength in depth is pretty nuts this season though that with 8 changes it still looks very strong on paper. If we sign a winger before assume they play in place of Rodney so depends what happens with Mckirdy or if we look elsewhere.

Huntsman94

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
That’s one of the things to consider with the cups and whilst we had a great run getting to face Man United in the 4th Round of the FA Cup last season, there’s no doubt it impacted our league form. This season is even more manic with the fixture schedules and the cups so wouldn’t be too concerned in seeing us drop out of this competition early doors to focus on the league.

Albru17

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Bradford performance quite encouraging, especially given number of debutantes (new or returners!) and that we played two homegrown young kids who looked good. I wouldn't read much into Bolton's performance as they looked like a brand new team. Early days, but always nice to start with a win.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
I imagine Tom Pope will start being banned for the league and carabao ties (6 games), will probably bring in the likes of Brisley, Amoo if fit and some of the returnees from injuries last week like Montano and Oyeleke probably will get minutes.

I reckon

Visser

Mills
Brisley
Crookes
Montano

Whitehead
Burgess
Oyeleke

Amoo
Rodney

Pope

something like that, large rotation but have to factor in we have the cup game next week too so at least 5 games in 2 weeks and potentially another 2 game week after that if we beat Fleetwood.

Strength in depth is pretty nuts this season though that with 8 changes it still looks very strong on paper. If we sign a winger before assume they play in place of Rodney so depends what happens with Mckirdy or if we look elsewhere.
Are you allowed to make that many changes without risking being fined?
I'd play
Gk visser
Rb mills
Lb Fitzpatrick
CB brisley
CB crookes
Cm joyce
Cm whitehead
Cm conlon
Rm worrall
Cf pope
Lm rodney
That would be 5 changes

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Are you allowed to make that many changes without risking being fined?
I'd play
Gk visser
Rb mills
Lb Fitzpatrick
CB brisley
CB crookes
Cm joyce
Cm whitehead
Cm conlon
Rm worrall
Cf pope
Lm rodney
That would be 5 changes

Think the rule is about changes from last league game so can get away with it on that basis.

Assuming Manny is now back training I’d be looking to get him playing in this. He really needs some minutes having missed another preseason.

Dan Phillips

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Can't see Askey resting both Legge and Smith. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crookes play LB if Monty isn't ready.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
We are still recruiting apparently, but I don't think anyone coming in today or tomorrow will feature (unless they have been training with us before signing). So we will be fielding an unfit eleven who will tire but try and play 'expansive football' against a Walsall side which will also (hopefully) be equally unfit match wise. I predict a 3-1 win for my beloved Mariners.

AR27

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Any colchester fans on here? No idea what to make of you guys before the weekend - good side last season but lost the manager and a few big players since?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Given our defence seems to have more holes in it than sieve I’d expect tranmere to win a high scoring game.

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Given our defence seems to have more holes in it than sieve I’d expect tranmere to win a high scoring game.

Our defence and goalkeeping has been alright up to now. No where near firing on all cylinders elsewhere though.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Any colchester fans on here? No idea what to make of you guys before the weekend - good side last season but lost the manager and a few big players since?

dedwardp might still be knocking about.

Not worth as much, but as a relatively nearby observer I think they’re going to be mid-table pish this season. Lacking in experience and absolutely no depth in defensive areas. In their favour, they do have plenty of pace in wide areas and will spread the goals around. Plus they’re more used to playing in front of near-empty stadia than anyone else in the division.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
dedwardp might still be knocking about.

Not worth as much, but as a relatively nearby observer I think they’re going to be mid-table pish this season. Lacking in experience and absolutely no depth in defensive areas. In their favour, they do have plenty of pace in wide areas and will spread the goals around. Plus they’re more used to playing in front of near-empty stadia than anyone else in the division.

The spine is still pretty experienced - Gerken in goal, Eastman and Tommy Smith at the back, Pell in midfield. Otherwise, a pretty fair summary. I don't think our starting eleven is really any weaker than last season so, barring injuries and so on, we may still be glancing upwards towards the top seven. We have very little depth though so will be relying on some of the next batch of youngsters making the step up and I'd expect us to pretty much float around mid-table this season.

We signed a youngster on loan from Fulham last week, but before he arrived we only had one striker in Luke Norris and he's out injured for the forseeable so goals may well be an issue.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Our defence and goalkeeping has been alright up to now. No where near firing on all cylinders elsewhere though.

whereas its a new season and I have every faith in the manager the defence in pre-season and the 2 cup games we’ve played in looks like we’ve just got a few lads of the street stuck them together and gone “here you go lads”

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
whereas its a new season and I have every faith in the manager the defence in pre-season and the 2 cup games we’ve played in looks like we’ve just got a few lads of the street stuck them together and gone “here you go lads”

Seen the Mansfield highlights against that multi million pound City kids team and it lookEd like your defence had just come out of the pub.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Seen the Mansfield highlights against that multi million pound City kids team and it lookEd like your defence had just come out of the pub.
Which is exactly why I expect you to win

unless it’s an elaborate rouse :cool1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!