Out of contract players this summer

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Taking away the fact we got relegated as the cb pairing was nothing to do with that, Clough would be mad not to consider what is a proven, ready made pairing.

It’s not mad because Rawson is a much better defender than Menayese, not even close and I think we can do better than both of them this summer too.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
It’s not mad because Rawson is a much better defender than Menayese, not even close and I think we can do better than both of them this summer too.

I’d be disappointed if either started next term.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Our Released List has been, er, released.

Not offered new terms:
Ryan McLaughlin
Paul McShane
Jimmy Ryan
Lewis Bradley
Harrison Hopper
Keaton Mulvey

Three Lg1 standard players when fit, but been blighted by injuries, and three young lads who haven't made the breakthrough to the first team.
12 month option declined by the player:
Conor Shaughnessy.
Obviously thinks he can do better. We certainly can...
Out of Contract but offered deals:
Jay Lynch
Eoghan O'Connell
Matt Lund
Jimmy Keohane
Matty Done
Stephen Dooley

I'd have thought O'Connell will get bigger and better offers elsewhere. Lynch is a decent keeper who has an occasional "oops" moment. Lund is a very capable goalscoring midfielder at L1/L2 level if he stays fit. Keohane can play any outfield position reasonably competently, and knows how to score (10 from wing back last season). Matty Done is worth a deal as an experienced and hard-working winger/forward/left wing back. Stephen Dooley is the most surprising to be offered a deal - very good on his day, but those days were a long time apart last season.

Long serving defender Jim McNulty is potentially being offered a player/coach role, while young defender Joe Dunne has been given an extra year, and two 17 year olds have been given professional contracts.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Hewitt’s alright, pretty standard League Two player. At his best for us in central midfield under Nolan when we were a very direct, niggly team, think he’d struggle there in a passing one. Always pretty bad at right back, generally okay at centre back although he didn’t play there much for us.

Hewitt was an entirely different beast at centre back, he was excellent and would’ve won a POTS had we had one.

Mansfield are rather predictably going to have a Menayese/Hewitt partnership at CB and fair play to them, I’m of the opinion it’s a play-off level pairing.
Yep, would have 100% agreed with you up until about 3 months ago Jacob. As Lew says though, he's a very good L2 CB.
from what little i saw of grimsby your defence wasn’t your problem in the first place?
The phrase "your problem" indicates there was only one problem! The main two problems were the wurzel sat in the dugout and the tory sat in the boardroom. The defence was a massive problem under Holloway, don't let the pitiful attacking problems overshadow how bad it was. He insisted on us playing out from the back and you could feel the panic from McKeown and Waterfall through your telly. Pollock alongside Waterfall too was painfully slow and exposed time and time again. Throw the wishy washy Danny Preston in at LB and an out of form Luke Hendrie in at RB and it was a shitshow.

Big credit needs to go to Hurst for sorting that out so effectively. I'm confident that Hewitt and Menayese will be a very good CB pairing for you, if that's what Clough is planning on doing.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Okay but, we're telling you that they're a solid pair together...

Last edited:

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Okay but, we're telling you that they're a solid pair together...

Okay, but I think we can do better and it’s doesn’t necessarily translate to a solid pairing in a completely different set-up.

You never know how these things will turn out but the general feeling is he’s been brought in to be a versatile ‘squad’ player. Sure he will be given a chance to change that.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Yep, would have 100% agreed with you up until about 3 months ago Jacob. As Lew says though, he's a very good L2 CB.

The phrase "your problem" indicates there was only one problem! The main two problems were the wurzel sat in the dugout and the tory sat in the boardroom. The defence was a massive problem under Holloway, don't let the pitiful attacking problems overshadow how bad it was. He insisted on us playing out from the back and you could feel the panic from McKeown and Waterfall through your telly. Pollock alongside Waterfall too was painfully slow and exposed time and time again. Throw the wishy washy Danny Preston in at LB and an out of form Luke Hendrie in at RB and it was a shitshow.

Big credit needs to go to Hurst for sorting that out so effectively. I'm confident that Hewitt and Menayese will be a very good CB pairing for you, if that's what Clough is planning on doing.

Nolan always said he saw Hewitt’s long term future at centre back to be fair, so maybe he was on to something. We had quite a settled pairing at the time so he only ever played there in an emergency.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Okay, but I think we can do better and it’s doesn’t necessarily translate to a solid pairing in a completely different set-up.

You never know how these things will turn out but the general feeling is he’s been brought in to be a versatile ‘squad’ player. Sure he will be given a chance to change that.
Yeah fair enough. You do also think Matt Green is good and that Neal Bishop isn't a complete c*** though, so I'll take your slight rebuffal of our unanimous opinion with a pinch of salt and return to this thread when you're top of the league having only conceded 8 goals by February 2022. ;)
Nolan always said he saw Hewitt’s long term future at centre back to be fair, so maybe he was on to something. We had quite a settled pairing at the time so he only ever played there in an emergency.
Interesting. Nolan seems like he was harshly done by, in terms of his dismissals, always seemed to speak quite well from what I saw. Wonder if he's just biding a bit of time as West Ham assistant before coming back to managing his own side.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield

Think what you're saying here is close to what Nigel Clough was saying when asked about it. However, he's hardly likely to come out and say he's planning to pair him with Menayese. There would be a meltdown. Still, I don't Menayese is as bad as our fans make out.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Think what you're saying here is close to what Nigel Clough was saying when asked about it. However, he's hardly likely to come out and say he's planning to pair him with Menayese. There would be a meltdown. Still, I don't Menayese is as bad as our fans make out.

I agree, Menayese has some impressive athletic ability and I think may turn out to be a good signing, but no dismissing how comically bad he was for us.

Yeah fair enough. You do also think Matt Green is good and that Neal Bishop isn't a complete c*** though, so I'll take your slight rebuffal of our unanimous opinion with a pinch of salt and return to this thread when you're top of the league having only conceded 8 goals by February 2022. ;)

Bish is a bit of a c*** but he was brilliant player for us under Flitcroft.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Bish is a bit of a c*** but he was brilliant player for us under Flitcroft.
For how much of a dick he was on the pitch and is on Twitter, he's actually a fairly decent co-commentator.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Interesting. Nolan seems like he was harshly done by, in terms of his dismissals, always seemed to speak quite well from what I saw. Wonder if he's just biding a bit of time as West Ham assistant before coming back to managing his own side.

Nolan did a solid job for us, would’ve continued to do so without interference from Big Al, I imagine.

That said, he (and the whole club) did seem to completely lose the plot when we got robbed by Coventry in the play-offs. Proper sliding doors moment with where we both are now.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Nolan did a solid job for us, would’ve continued to do so without interference from Big Al, I imagine.

That said, he (and the whole club) did seem to completely lose the plot when we got robbed by Coventry in the play-offs. Proper sliding doors moment with where we both are now.
To be fair, I'd rather be a Notts fan than a Cov fan. Such a boring, dead club. Arguably the worst stadium in the country too.

Oh crap, also just realised Hardy is worming his way back in. You've been tricked into thinking you're getting a new Big AI (upper case i) computer system but it's actually a lower case L...

Randolph Haggerty

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Our Released List has been, er, released.

Not offered new terms:
Ryan McLaughlin
Paul McShane
Jimmy Ryan
Lewis Bradley
Harrison Hopper
Keaton Mulvey

Three Lg1 standard players when fit, but been blighted by injuries, and three young lads who haven't made the breakthrough to the first team.
12 month option declined by the player:
Conor Shaughnessy.
Obviously thinks he can do better. We certainly can...
Out of Contract but offered deals:
Jay Lynch
Eoghan O'Connell
Matt Lund
Jimmy Keohane
Matty Done
Stephen Dooley

I'd have thought O'Connell will get bigger and better offers elsewhere. Lynch is a decent keeper who has an occasional "oops" moment. Lund is a very capable goalscoring midfielder at L1/L2 level if he stays fit. Keohane can play any outfield position reasonably competently, and knows how to score (10 from wing back last season). Matty Done is worth a deal as an experienced and hard-working winger/forward/left wing back. Stephen Dooley is the most surprising to be offered a deal - very good on his day, but those days were a long time apart last season.

Long serving defender Jim McNulty is potentially being offered a player/coach role, while young defender Joe Dunne has been given an extra year, and two 17 year olds have been given professional contracts.
Jimmy ryan is a great player, or was the last time I saw him, which thinking about it was probably 10 years ago.
Done is he?

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Jimmy ryan is a great player, or was the last time I saw him, which thinking about it was probably 10 years ago.
Done is he?
Not necessarily, he made it back to the subs bench for the last game of the season. Still L1 standard when fit. Same (or higher) with McShane, and a fit McLaughlin is more than capable at L1/L2.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Neal Bishop was appointed as player/assistant manager at Gainsborough Trinity this week.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Neal Bishop was appointed as player/assistant manager at Gainsborough Trinity this week.
He had a job at our academy beforehand, cannot remember if he quit or was pushed though.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
For how much of a dick he was on the pitch and is on Twitter, he's actually a fairly decent co-commentator.

His opinions are awful. Yesterday he shared something likening government restrictions to being psychologically abused. Err not exactly Neal! Think there is something big happening in the world right now... That said I do like him!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
His opinions are awful. Yesterday he shared something likening government restrictions to being psychologically abused. Err not exactly Neal! Think there is something big happening in the world right now... That said I do like him!
He is the kind of c*** you want on your side and in the middle of the park so I definitely get that. Does he troll Chesterfield fans like he does with Grimsby fans?

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
We didn't hang around, after losing last night in the play-offs, released and retained list already confirmed.

Under contract for 2021/22​

Luke McGee
Kane Wilson
Dom Bernard
Dan Sweeney
Baily Cargill
Ebou Adams
Matty Stevens
Nicky Cadden
Jamille Matt
Jordan Moore-Taylor
Jack Evans
Jake Young
Elliott Whitehouse
Josh March
Vaughn Covil
Harvey Bunker
Luke Hallett

Offered new contracts​

Aaron Collins
Udoka Godwin-Malife
Lewis Thomas
Taylor Allen

Released​

Adam Smith
Chris Stokes
Shawn McCoulsky
Scott Wagstaff

Returned to parent club (loanee)​

Isaac Hutchinson
Odin Bailey
Josh Davison
Jayden Richardson

No real surprises there, hope at least Collins and Dokes accept a new contract...Thomas does seem a fairly decent keeper, so would be happy if he stays...jury out for me on Allen as I haven't really seen enough of him to judge. Think we have the basis of a pretty decent team next season, with just a few suitable additions. Key to all of this will be who becomes manager and what plans they have for the team.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Well if all those offered contracts accept that’s a 21 man squad already!!!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We didn't hang around, after losing last night in the play-offs, released and retained list already confirmed.

Luke McGee
Kane Wilson
Dom Bernard
Dan Sweeney
Baily Cargill
Ebou Adams
Matty Stevens
Nicky Cadden
Jamille Matt
Jordan Moore-Taylor
Jack Evans
Jake Young
Elliott Whitehouse
Josh March
Vaughn Covil
Harvey Bunker
Luke Hallett

Offered new contracts​

Aaron Collins
Udoka Godwin-Malife
Lewis Thomas
Taylor Allen

Released​

Adam Smith
Chris Stokes
Shawn McCoulsky
Scott Wagstaff

Isaac Hutchinson
Odin Bailey
Josh Davison
Jayden Richardson

No real surprises there, hope at least Collins and Dokes accept a new contract...Thomas does seem a fairly decent keeper, so would be happy if he stays...jury out for me on Allen as I haven't really seen enough of him to judge. Think we have the basis of a pretty decent team next season, with just a few suitable additions. Key to all of this will be who becomes manager and what plans they have for the team.
How has Stokes been? I'm assuming he'll get a league club.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Well if all those offered contracts accept that’s a 21 man squad already!!!

Yep, and tbh not a particularly strong squad either especially given we’re releasing our captain player of the season Chris Stokes and the fact that probably our most valuable asset Udoka Godwin-Malife is out of contract and likely to leave.

Of the retained list, 2 will be second year pros, 1 first year pro, 2 were well down the pecking order and out on loan. Another 2 are young lads with very little playing time. So that's 7 with very little first team appearances who are unlikely to feature a lot.

Given the 20 man squad limit there won’t be much room for manoeuvre even if the academy lads don’t count, not convinced Collins is signing a new deal either but with only minimal additions we won’t be a lot better then this season, when we were basically reliant on 3 or 4 players to carry the team.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yep, and tbh not a particularly strong squad either especially given we’re releasing our captain player of the season Chris Stokes and the fact that probably our most valuable asset Udoka Godwin-Malife is out of contract and likely to leave.

Of the retained list, 2 will be second year pros, 1 first year pro, 2 were well down the pecking order and out on loan.

Given the 20 man squad limit there won’t be much room for manoeuvre even if the academy lads don’t count, not convinced Collins is signing a new deal either but with only minimal additions we won’t be a lot better then this season, when we were basically reliant on 3 or 4 players to carry the team.
The 20 man squad wont come in.

It is almost certainly going to be 22 outfield players over 21 so excludes keepers... this was a compromise as the PFA wanted 25 man squads.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The 20 man squad wont come in.

It is almost certainly going to be 22 outfield players over 21 so excludes keepers... this was a compromise as the PFA wanted 25 man squads.
Worth looking at the sort of wiggle room we might have then.

Our senior squad as it stands including players we've offered new deals to comes in at 22

of these:
2 are keepers
20 are outfield players
6 of those outfield players are 21 and under
so we currently have 14 outfield players over the age of 21
If it comes to home-grown players, none of our over-21s count as home-grown.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Worth looking at the sort of wiggle room we might have then.

Our senior squad as it stands including players we've offered new deals to comes in at 22

of these:
2 are keepers
20 are outfield players
6 of those outfield players are 21 and under
so we currently have 14 outfield players over the age of 21
If it comes to home-grown players, none of our over-21s count as home-grown.
Home grown count as anyone who has played 3 seasons between the age of 15 and 21 in England.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town

Luke McGee
Kane Wilson
Dom Bernard
Dan Sweeney
Baily Cargill
Ebou Adams
Matty Stevens
Nicky Cadden
Jamille Matt
Jordan Moore-Taylor
Jack Evans
Jake Young
Elliott Whitehouse
Josh March
Vaughn Covil
Harvey Bunker
Luke Hallett

Offered new contracts​

Aaron Collins
Udoka Godwin-Malife
Lewis Thomas
Taylor Allen

Released​

Adam Smith
Chris Stokes
Shawn McCoulsky
Scott Wagstaff

Isaac Hutchinson
Odin Bailey
Josh Davison
Jayden Richardson

I’ve seen that Godwin-Malife is linked with a few championship clubs this summer, Preston and a few others I’ve seen as well. That being the case I can imagine it’s a bit annoying for you that he’s out of contract. Up to the hype or bit non plussed at him being linked to that sort of level?

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
I’ve seen that Godwin-Malife is linked with a few championship clubs this summer, Preston and a few others I’ve seen as well. That being the case I can imagine it’s a bit annoying for you that he’s out of contract. Up to the hype or bit non plussed at him being linked to that sort of level?
He was pretty good from the moment he joined the club, went out on loan for a bit, but really took his chance when we had injuries during the abandoned season...then retained his place, starting pretty much every game, in the one that is just finishing. He was one of our best players during the first half of the season but there were rumours that an offer for him might be made during the January transfer window, after that his performance level did suffer a bit...however, I rate him as a really decent player and think he could play at Championship level.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Just turned 21, physically strong and quick, good on the ball and a great attitude. Versatile too, can play in a 2 or 3 at the back, as well as rb or even rwb. Not the tallest but still pretty strong in the air. Prone to the occasional loss of concentration, but overall a very talented player with a great attitude that has come on leaps and bounds for us over the last 2 or 3 years. Will definitely follow in Ethan Pinnock's and Liam Kitching's, (2 other CB's we've seen move up the leagues in the last few seasons) footsteps imo, can see him being a Championship regular in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!