Out of contract players this summer

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
For a number of us the season is now as good as over so just looking ahead to the summer what would you do with any out of contract players in your squad?

There is a bit of uncertainty which DC has expressed some dissatisfaction with in terms of a decision from the EFL about squad lists still pending. Apparently Vale are backing the PFA in them opposing the proposed 20 player limit and I imagine we might not be the only club taking that line.

As for Vale we have the following out of contract, some of them are easy decisions but some less so:-

Scott Brown - Keep
Dino Visser - Release
Tom Scott - Keep
Adam Crookes - Keep depending on what comes out of the squad limits
Zak Mills - Release
David Fitzpatrick - Release
Cristiano Montano - Keep but as with Manny below
Leon Legge - This may be a moot point if it's true he has already triggered a years extension but would keep anyway
Shaun Brisley - Release (tough one as he has come in to the team recently and done well but he is what he is at this point and not sure he helps us challenge at the top)
Luke Joyce - Keep but with a view to developing someone under him
Manny Oyeleke - Keep albeit this is pending questions about his injury history
Dan Trickett-Smith - Release
Alex Hurst - Unsure on this one, erring on the side of release
Harry McKirdy - Release
Mark Cullen - Release
Kurtis Guthrie - Release
Tom Pope - Release

*Danny Whitehead is still under contract so would allow him to look for another club if possible also.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Forget the out of contract ones, what about the ones under contract?

For me if we some how managed to stay up I'd release every single one of them, quite clear none are good enough hence why we are at the bottom of the league.

Anyhow this is how ours appears:

Out of Contract

GK
Ollie Battersby

Defenders
Joe Bunney (wont be playing for us again, prehaps not anyone, seems to have a medical issue unfortunately for him)
Sam Habergham
Luke Hendrie
Elliot Hewitt
Mattie Pollock

Midfielder
Harry Clifton
Giles Coke
Julien Lamy
Luke Spokes

Forwards
Matt Green
James Hanson
Stefen Payne
Alhagi Touray Sisay

If we stay up, then Hewitt, Clifton and possibly Pollock I wouldn't mind offering new deals too and if we go down then Hendrie, Habergham, Spokes and Coke can have a deal.

Under Contract for 21/22

GK
James Mckeown
Sam Russell (GK Coach)

Defenders
Luke Waterfall
Duncan Idehen (Not sure when its contract ends, 1st year pro)

Midfielder
Filipe Morais
George Williams
Max Wright
Jack Curran (Not sure when his contract ends, 1st year pro)
Joe Starbuck (Not sure when his contract ends, 1st year pro)
Cameron Painter (Not sure when his contract ends, first year pro)

Forwards
Montel Gibson
Ira Jackson Jr
Lenell John-Lewis
Sean Scannell

Of those under contract I would look to pay off no matter what league we are in Waterfall, Curran, Starbuck, Painter, Gibson and Scannell. If we stay up then all of them can go, except maybe Wright if he is ever going to be fit again.

Currently on Loan
Jake Eastwood (GK)
Rollin Menayese (Def)
Idris El Mizouni (Mid)
Jay Matete (Mid)
Kyle Bennett (Mid)

Eastwood, Matete, and Menayese I wouldn't mind keeping.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As Kieran says it depends a lot on the squad cap, 20 is too few and should be 25 IMO, Clarke feels there shouldn’t be one at all but most of all he says he just wants clarity and a decision made now so we can plan.

In terms of our squad, it’s become tricker, in February the view was of cowards let most go but now fitter and organised and back to our best it’s left some debate.

Scott Brown - Keep, one of the best keepers.
Dino Visser - Release, like him but the cap would mean we’d need a young keeper.
Tom Scott - Keep potentially, not featured yet so now safe need to have a look.
Adam Crookes - Keep as he is versatile
Zak Mills - I’d have driven him anywhere in Feb but Clarke got a tune out of him so harder decision, probably need better to progress if Gibbo gets a bad injury again.
David Fitzpatrick - Release, steady but if a cap you’d go Monty and Crookes back up.
Cristiano Montano - if Clarke is confident the new fitness set up would get games out of him i would keep. He’s an excellent player and covers LB and LW.
Leon Legge - Rumours he’s staying considering it looked as though he was Oldham bound on deadline day. Love Leggey and he’s a leader and a beast at the back.
Shaun Brisley - Release, need a younger ball playing centre half really to challenge for a spot with a Legge and Smudge
Luke Joyce - Keep, splits fans, results with and without him speak for themselves though. Needs competition in that role though.
Manny Oyeleke - if we can get fit like Monty you’d keep, he’s a class footballer and our upturn links to his availability.
Dan Trickett-Smith - Release
Alex Hurst - If squad cap is scraped I’d keep, he’s shown promise. Maybe a two year deal and loan to National League for six months would be worthwhile as do think he has something Clarke could develop.
Harry McKirdy - Release most likely, Clarke fancies a crack at taming him but it a cap you can’t carry him whilst he decides if he wants to be a pro footballer.
Mark Cullen - Release, not fit enough
Kurtis Guthrie - Release
Tom Pope - Emotionally tough, he’s a club legend, probably the only one of the 21st century, post war scoring record holder, one of our own... if a cap is scraped I’d keep if he wants to learn coaching, with a cap it’s almost impossible to keep him sadly. Would deserve a testimonial to say bye though.

Ideally we need to release the strikers we have like Pope, Cullen and Guthrie and fork out for a 20 plus hit man, Theo is under contract and has shown improvement, Rodney is a huge talent that’s raw so build on that and maybe a young loan striker to compliment them.

Under contract wise Whitehead might as well go. Hasn’t worked out at all that one.

I assume we will spend the cash, wanted the cap for wages ditching and hopefully the cap for players gets dumped or made higher than it’s set to be.

Interesting summer ahead under DC and Flickers.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Rovers have Scott Davies, Calum Macdonald, Jay Spearing, James Vaughan and Charlie Jolley under contract next season. Unless there are some decent offers, or Scott Davies' injury proves more serious than reported, all should stay.

We don't know if we'll be in L1 or L2 and whether Keith Hill will remain as manager. I'm hedging my bets on the former and assuming Keith has done enough to stay promotion or not.

GK Joe Murphy Keep if he wants to carry on

DEF Liam Ridehalgh Probably worth another season as cover at left-back/central defence
DEF Peter Clarke As Murphy if he wants to carry on, keep.
DEF Manny Monthe Unsure he wants to stay so release
DEF George Ray Reportedly highest paid player under contract at the club. Unsure he deserves that, but better second season, so keep for defensive continuity
DEF Sid Nelson Very injury prone, whole-hearted when he does play, undecided.
DEF/MID Otis Khan Done better than expected at right-back, though prefer in midfield, keep
MID Paul Lewis Steady season. Keep
MID Kieron Morris Got a goal in him and last season's best player. Apparently unhappy, would like to keep.
MID Corey Blackett-Taylor Head turned with bigger clubs interest not kicked on. Probably worth offering a deal as might get small amount of compensation if moves on
ATT Kaiyne Woolery Pace to burn and more of a goal threat than expected, keep
ATT Danny Lloyd On his day can be a real thorn in the side of defences, but had a number of games where he seems drained from an early stage. Undecided
ATT Jake Burton Youngster, worth another year.

Of the loan players, only Liam Feeney deserves an offer, though KH likes Crawford and might offer him something. The other youngsters Kyle Hayde and George Nugent haven't been seen save the odd sub appearance in the Pizza Cup, so unsure if they'll get new deals.

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Pretty much agree with all of Boz's assessment above, although I would definitely offer Danny Lloyd something. He has definitely had fitness issues in the second half of the season, but is capable of playing in this division or the one above. I think Lee O'Connor has also had a solid season and could merit a deal, although he would not come cheap from Celtic and I am not sure he is good enough for League One.

Paul Lewis is the one player mentioned that might struggle technically in the division above, but deserves an opportunity at that level if we get there based on his performances this season.

Bizarrely enough, given our current form, I think virtually all of our squad are capable of performing comfortably in League One. It is the lack of options up front that are killing us at the moment.

I notice that Boz omitted David Nugent from his list, although that one is probably a no-brainer......

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
One of our problems last summer was that we had hardly anybody out of contract, so the reduced budgets left us with no room to manoeuvre. Thankfully, most of them are therefore out of contract this summer and, frankly, near enough all of them can go to be honest. Start again.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Not many of ours are completely out of contract.

GK: Stuart Nelson; Signed as an emergency back up. Do we need such an experienced bench warmer? Will he accept it?

GK: Alfie Jones; 3rd choice on loan at Burgess Hill all season. Don't know enough about him.

Def: Joe McNerney ; stopper centre half. Played the last 10-15 games due injuries. I would offer another contract.

Def: Jordan Tunnicliffe ; No brainer to take up his years option. He should get offers elsewhere though.

Def ; David Sesay ; Full back who plays on either side. Doesn't play enough imho but a great option on the bench. I would offer another contract but he may decide to leave for more game time.

Def : Nick Tsaroulla: Option for another year. Made a name for himself in the FA Cup v Leeds but a decent modern full back who will get other offers.

MF: Jack Powell; Played nearly every game this season...its looked like it the last couple of games. Decent centre mid with a good range of passing. I would offer a new contract.

MF : Henry Burnett ; Youngster who did impress me when I saw him in friendlies and such but I don't really know enough about him.

MF: Dannie Bulman ; 42 years old now. I think Dannie has called time himself. Club legend. Played in the conference, league 2 & League 1 with us and has the happy knack of making the players around him look better. Been mostly coaching this season hopefully we will keep him in that role.

MF/Att: Tarryn Allarakhia; Just not quite League 2 standard. You can't fault effort etc. As a EFL Trophy starter or a sub he is fine. Time to move on I think.

MF/Att : Jordan Maguire-Drew : On loan from Orient. Went to the same school as me. I dont know his contract status at Orient but, as my wife says, there are better options out there.

Att : Tom Nichols ; One year option. Most goals, most assists. There's a one year option which we would be mad not to trigger. Will get offers elsewhere but it will depend on if another club is willing to pay as to where he starts next season.

What I worry about is where to create space for the players we need to progress. We have been desperately missing a proper back to goal forward. Nichols has done well for us but it's not really his game. I dont necessarily mean 6'4 man mountain, just a centre forward. Also missing is a midfielder who can get beyond the strikers. Forward comes out to the wing, lays the ball back for a cross and there's one person in the box. Cue intricate triangles to give the other forward enough time to get there. Frustrating as hell.

I would like to see us get some power in the middle of the park. We have tippy tappy players who will work nice triangles but we get brushed aside by the stronger sides. With Josh Wright signing on though our space for that type of player is limited.

Casey

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Those out of contract:

Billy Clarke:
Cant fault his love for the club, but his legs have completely gone. If there’s an option on the cheap for a final year extension, then I’d be tempted.

Clayton Donaldson:
Getting on abit now, but has shown in recent weeks that he can still do a job at this level. He’s one of our higher earners, so depending on wages, he might be offered another year.

Connor Wood:
For me, the best left-back in the league. He was very comfortable in the league above, the year we come down. Tying this lad down on a long-term deal is a must; but I suspect he may have options from those in the league above.

Lee Novak:
Can’t fault his performances or his goal-return - 9 goals in 20 since arriving last January. Injury prone for us, when he hasn’t really suffered injuries before - per se . I can see us offering him 1 year; or we’ll go back in for Conor McAleny.

Anthony O’Connor:
Typically a CB, who has played RB up until recently. This one will split our fanbase due to attitude issues shown in his first season. Since then, he’s faired OK, barring the McCall period....but not many of them looked like footballers during that period, tbh. He’s reportedly our highest earner. I’d keep providing he’s on significantly reduced terms.

Zeli Ismael:
Easy this one - see ya! Another who is on decent wedge at this level. Shame, because he is exciting to watch. Keep him fit and he’s a great winger for this level.

Sam Hornby:
Came from Port Vale in hope of playing more first team football. Barring O’Donnell’s injury a few months ago, he’s barely had a look in. He’s a decent keeper at this level. He deserves to move on and establish himself in a team where first team football is guaranteed.

Harry Pritchard:
A goal scoring, goal creating winger - what more do you want? Lacks pace but always seems to score goals. He’s injured at present, but I can see him moving on. Would be a decent signing for someone.

Will Huffer:
Depending on the Hornby situation, he might be offered a deal. He’ll be cheap enough.

Loans:

Bryce Hossanah:
I can see him returning next season, depending on how he comes back from his injury.

Andy Cook:
His record speaks for itself. Sign him on a perm, but I believe Mansfield have first dibs.

Jordan Stevens:
He hasn’t made the impact he was probably expecting to make. Back to Leeds, sunshine.

Rumarn Berrell:
Return. Nothing much else I can say, really.

We’re heading into an off-season with a decent spine to the team. A few quality additions and we should be challenging at the right end of the table next season.

Those contracted:

GK: Richard O’Donnell

DF: Niall Canavan
DF: Paudie O’Connor
DF: Reece Staunton
DF: Finn Cousin-Dawson
DF: Matty Foulds
DF: Jorge Sikora

MF: Callum Cooke
MF: Elliott Watt
MF: Levi Sutton
MF: Oli Crankshaw
MF: Gareth Evans
MF: Kian Scales

ST: Danny Rose

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Tom Pope - Emotionally tough, he’s a club legend, probably the only one of the 21st century, post war scoring record holder, one of our own... if a cap is scraped I’d keep if he wants to learn coaching, with a cap it’s almost impossible to keep him sadly. Would deserve a testimonial to say bye though.

Ideally we need to release the strikers we have like Pope, Cullen and Guthrie and fork out for a 20 plus hit man, Theo is under contract and has shown improvement, Rodney is a huge talent that’s raw so build on that and maybe a young loan striker to compliment them.

How I look at it with Pope is that if he was anybody else looking over the last few years at the body of work and more importantly availability (including stupidly getting banned for his social media exploits) I don't even think its a discussion and we need to look at this dispassionately as to what he can actually contribute now not what he did in 2010. My suspicion is DC is of that mind also and we will likely move on.

I would have no issue with him developing a coaching career with us after he has retired and there are certain attributes of his he could help add to Rodneys game which could in turn net us some serious money down the line.

We should do what we should have done last summer and put those wages of the departing forwards together and invest them in one quality forward (Tshimanga at Boreham Wood purely as a suggestion) then maybe a Will Swan season long loan as a fourth forward.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
As far as I'm aware, we've only got defenders Matt Platt and James Jones, midfielders Mike Jones, Tom Beadling (I'd get rid) and Jamie Devitt, and forwards Scott Quigley and Luke James under contract for next season.

Loans, I'd keep Tom Davies (unlikely as he's a L1 defender but injured most this season), Bobby Thomas from Burnley, and possibly Mace Goodridge from Burnley if he can prove he's fit.

Out of contract:

All 3 goalkeepers I'd keep, and expect Joel Dixon and Josh Lillis to stay. Third keeper Moloney I think comes in as an under 21 again next season.

Defenders:
Neil Eardley - release, too old and not that good
Brad Barry - keep
Yoann Zouma - not good enough for this level
Scott Wilson - keep
Kgosi Ntlhe - release, some rate him, has more dodgy games than good ones
Sam Hird - will retire to be a coach
Bobby Burns - release, broken leg and no idea if he's any good
Patrick Brough - keep
Dion Donohue - release, awful in his few appearances
Connor Brown - release, did well before being furloughed but not up to this level

Midfield
Ollie Banks - keep, not sure if he's contracted anyway
Jason Taylor - release, been effective this season but too limited
Chris Taylor - release, not as bad as some people make out but doesn't add much
Josh Kay - undecided, can be great but he's had too many dreadful games this season
Callum Gribbin - release, supposed wonderkid but nowhere near the first team picture

Forwards
Calvin Andrew - keep, can be an effective late sub for as long as he's able to jump
Dimitri Sea - keep, not had much of a chance but he's under 21 and looks like he has ability.
Morgan Penfold - release, probably way off L2 standard.

I reckon we'll have a decent squad of 12-15 players to carry over for next season, as we commence HMS Lower Mid-Table.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Obviously presuming we stay up! If we go down, release the lot of them for sheer incompetence.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Those out of contract:

Billy Clarke:
Cant fault his love for the club, but his legs have completely gone. If there’s an option on the cheap for a final year extension, then I’d be tempted.

Clayton Donaldson:
Getting on abit now, but has shown in recent weeks that he can still do a job at this level. He’s one of our higher earners, so depending on wages, he might be offered another year.

Connor Wood:
For me, the best left-back in the league. He was very comfortable in the league above, the year we come down. Tying this lad down on a long-term deal is a must; but I suspect he may have options from those in the league above.

Lee Novak:
Can’t fault his performances or his goal-return - 9 goals in 20 since arriving last January. Injury prone for us, when he hasn’t really suffered injuries before - per se . I can see us offering him 1 year; or we’ll go back in for Conor McAleny.

Anthony O’Connor:
Typically a CB, who has played RB up until recently. This one will split our fanbase due to attitude issues shown in his first season. Since then, he’s faired OK, barring the McCall period....but not many of them looked like footballers during that period, tbh. He’s reportedly our highest earner. I’d keep providing he’s on significantly reduced terms.

Zeli Ismael:
Easy this one - see ya! Another who is on decent wedge at this level. Shame, because he is exciting to watch. Keep him fit and he’s a great winger for this level.

Sam Hornby:
Came from Port Vale in hope of playing more first team football. Barring O’Donnell’s injury a few months ago, he’s barely had a look in. He’s a decent keeper at this level. He deserves to move on and establish himself in a team where first team football is guaranteed.

Harry Pritchard:
A goal scoring, goal creating winger - what more do you want? Lacks pace but always seems to score goals. He’s injured at present, but I can see him moving on. Would be a decent signing for someone.

Will Huffer:
Depending on the Hornby situation, he might be offered a deal. He’ll be cheap enough.

Loans:

Bryce Hossanah:
I can see him returning next season, depending on how he comes back from his injury.

Andy Cook:
His record speaks for itself. Sign him on a perm, but I believe Mansfield have first dibs.

Jordan Stevens:
He hasn’t made the impact he was probably expecting to make. Back to Leeds, sunshine.

Rumarn Berrell:
Return. Nothing much else I can say, really.

We’re heading into an off-season with a decent spine to the team. A few quality additions and we should be challenging at the right end of the table next season.

Those contracted:

GK: Richard O’Donnell

DF: Niall Canavan
DF: Paudie O’Connor
DF: Reece Staunton
DF: Finn Cousin-Dawson
DF: Matty Foulds
DF: Jorge Sikora

MF: Callum Cooke
MF: Elliott Watt
MF: Levi Sutton
MF: Oli Crankshaw
MF: Gareth Evans
MF: Kian Scales

ST: Danny Rose
Foulds, Sikora and Scales are out of contract in the summer.

Last edited:

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Pretty much agree with all of Boz's assessment above, although I would definitely offer Danny Lloyd something. He has definitely had fitness issues in the second half of the season, but is capable of playing in this division or the one above. I think Lee O'Connor has also had a solid season and could merit a deal, although he would not come cheap from Celtic and I am not sure he is good enough for League One.

Paul Lewis is the one player mentioned that might struggle technically in the division above, but deserves an opportunity at that level if we get there based on his performances this season.

Bizarrely enough, given our current form, I think virtually all of our squad are capable of performing comfortably in League One. It is the lack of options up front that are killing us at the moment.

I notice that Boz omitted David Nugent from his list, although that one is probably a no-brainer......

David Nugent will probably go and score at Walsall now.

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
These are all out of contract and i expect to leave

Jordan Clarke
Jacob Bedeau
Harrison McGahey
Alex Gillead
Kevin Van Veen
Olufela Olomola
Kelsey Mooney

Not sure if Andy Dales' contract is up but he needs moving on.

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
We only have 2 players under contract next year. Release the majority

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
The majority of our team is out of contract so I will only go through the ones that are 50/50 or we want to keep.

GK: Mark Howard - I would get him signed up, he's been a veteran presence between the sticks that we have really needed. It wouldn't be the end of the world if he went though.
CB: Harrison McGahey - Our best CB but he's always injured. Would love to sign him but not sure what kind of money he wants.
CB: Jacob Bedeau - Would normally be our fourth choice CB but has played a lot this season due to injuries. He's been really improving lately and I think we need to offer him a new deal.
CM: Jem Karacan - He has transformed this team since joining on a free in Jan, we desperately need to sign him up but I think he will go to a L1 club.
RM: Alex Gilliead - Easily our POTY, far too good for us and I imagine he will go to a L1 club.
LM: Abo Eisa - One of our only creative players, think he knows he can do better than us and will leave.
ST: Kevin Van Veen - Let him go. He will forever be a club legend for his goal against Grimsby and his ability to do something magical but I think his general laziness and the way he constantly loses his head outweighs the magic. We play worse with him and we try to accommodate him far too much.

Think we're going to be even weaker next year with the budget continuing to get cut.

David Brent

Bolton Wanderers
Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
Bolton Squad

Contracted for Next Season
GK - Matt Gilks
LB - Liam Gordon
CB - Ricardo Santos, Liam Edwards, Reiss Greenidge
RB -
CM - Kieran Lee, MJ Williams, George Thomason, Brandon Comley
CAM - Antoni Sarcevic, Ali Crawford, Ronan Darcy
LW/RW - Dennis Politic
ST - Eoin Doyle, Nathan Delfouneso

Out of Contract/Loan Expiring
GK - Lukas Jensen (Burnley), Billy Crellin (Fleetwood)
  • Both going back to their parent clubs. Didn't work out with Crellin for us. I think Jensen's Burnley contract is up this summer, so maybe we sign him on a free after using this loan as an extended trial. Yet to play for us though so no idea if he's any good.
LB - Declan John (Swansea), Ben Jackson (Huddersfield), Jamie Mascoll
  • I imagine we'll offer John a decent contract but not sure he signs for us if we don't get promoted. The other two won't be coming back
CB - Alex Baptiste, Ryan Delaney
  • Wouldn't mind re-signing either of these as backup but we can do better at starting CB. Wouldn't be upset if they were shown the door.
RB - Gethin Jones, Harry Brockbank, Jak Hickman
  • Would keep Jones as he's a capable a starter in L2 and okay for squad depth in L1 I would imagine. Brockbank a player that can cover across the back four so would be fine to sign as squad depth. I've liked the look of Hickman when he's played, think he could do a job for another L2 team but Evatt clearly doesn't rate him. Murmurings of attitude problems with him.
CM - Andrew Tutte
  • Can feel slightly hard done by not to have featured more in the second half of the season, as he was one of the few bright spots in a lacklustre first half. Wouldn't hesitate to sign him up for another year no matter what league we're in, although I can see him getting released.
LW/RW - Dapo Afolayan (West Ham), Arhtur Gnahoua, Zach Elbouzedi (Lincoln), Lloyd Isgrove
  • We'll probably offer something to Afolayan as his West Ham contract is up this summer and it's extremely unlikely he'll get an extension there. Gnahoua's done well as a super-sub this season, would keep him around. Elbouzedi's contract is up at Lincoln but not sure there's a league footballer in there, so would avoid signing him. Isgrove is fine as a starter in this league or backup in L1.
ST - Shaun Miller
  • 34 in September and has been injured for half the time he's been here so thanks but no thanks. Could still do a job for a lower/mid table L2 team if fit.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
League one or two I would take Manny Monthe.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
These are all out of contract and i expect to leave

Jordan Clarke
Jacob Bedeau
Harrison McGahey
Alex Gillead
Kevin Van Veen
Olufela Olomola
Kelsey Mooney

Not sure if Andy Dales' contract is up but he needs moving on.
I would like to see Gillead back in the Claret and Amber at Valley Parade

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
As far as I'm aware, we've only got defenders Matt Platt and James Jones, midfielders Mike Jones, Tom Beadling (I'd get rid) and Jamie Devitt, and forwards Scott Quigley and Luke James under contract for next season.

Loans, I'd keep Tom Davies (unlikely as he's a L1 defender but injured most this season), Bobby Thomas from Burnley, and possibly Mace Goodridge from Burnley if he can prove he's fit.

Out of contract:

All 3 goalkeepers I'd keep, and expect Joel Dixon and Josh Lillis to stay. Third keeper Moloney I think comes in as an under 21 again next season.

Defenders:
Neil Eardley - release, too old and not that good
Brad Barry - keep
Yoann Zouma - not good enough for this level
Scott Wilson - keep
Kgosi Ntlhe - release, some rate him, has more dodgy games than good ones
Sam Hird - will retire to be a coach
Bobby Burns - release, broken leg and no idea if he's any good
Patrick Brough - keep
Dion Donohue - release, awful in his few appearances
Connor Brown - release, did well before being furloughed but not up to this level

Midfield
Ollie Banks - keep, not sure if he's contracted anyway
Jason Taylor - release, been effective this season but too limited
Chris Taylor - release, not as bad as some people make out but doesn't add much
Josh Kay - undecided, can be great but he's had too many dreadful games this season
Callum Gribbin - release, supposed wonderkid but nowhere near the first team picture

Forwards
Calvin Andrew - keep, can be an effective late sub for as long as he's able to jump
Dimitri Sea - keep, not had much of a chance but he's under 21 and looks like he has ability.
Morgan Penfold - release, probably way off L2 standard.

I reckon we'll have a decent squad of 12-15 players to carry over for next season, as we commence HMS Lower Mid-Table.
agree with most of that - Josh Kay is a keep although i'd play him further forward not at wing back.
Burns i'd keep - he's u-21 i think and Nick Anderton came back stronger (twice) from broken legs.
Jason Taylor as with Sam Hird could go down the coaching route..... he'd be bad cop to Hird's good cop.....
Patrick Brough - get him on a longer term contract ASAP
Kgosi Ntlhe - do a swap deal with Exeter for Cumbrian Ryan Bowman - Exeter fans raved about Ntlhe on Tuesday.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
agree with most of that - Josh Kay is a keep although i'd play him further forward not at wing back.
Burns i'd keep - he's u-21 i think and Nick Anderton came back stronger (twice) from broken legs.
Jason Taylor as with Sam Hird could go down the coaching route..... he'd be bad cop to Hird's good cop.....
Patrick Brough - get him on a longer term contract ASAP
Kgosi Ntlhe - do a swap deal with Exeter for Cumbrian Ryan Bowman - Exeter fans raved about Ntlhe on Tuesday.

I think Kay is a better player than he's shown this season, but his good performances have been extremely few and far between. Sometimes he's absolutely abysmal, and his inability to control himself also doesn't work in his favour. I'd probably keep (might be better under a new manager) but equally wouldn't be arsed if he left.

Ntlhe is one where he has a good game and then the next week can't even kick a ball properly and is being skinned alive by any winger with skill.

On that showing, Bowman is non-league. Wrexham will probably sign him.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
This is gonna be a long post...............................

We have 7 players under contract for next season, don't see any reason why the club would get rid of any of these and I expect all of them to play their part next season:

Sam Sargeant (Backup GK)
Shadrach Ogie
Adam Thompson
Dan Kemp
Ouss Cisse
Hector Kyprianou
Ruel Sotiriou

However we have a rather large out of contract list, I expect most of these players to leave for one reason for another. We have 5 of our better players we really need to keep to push on, but I suspect they will get offers to play higher, they are:

Danny Johnson - 20 goals this season, worth a punt on a free for any League One side. Play to his strengths and he can get goals. From Teeside and I'd expect him to jump at the chance to move back closer to there.

Conor Wilkinson - An Enigma but a talented player. Struggled last season with form and injuries, but this season he's stayed fit and been decent. Worth a punt on a free for a League One side, but he needs to right mentally IMO to be able to produce his best form - Which last season he wasn't. (But not the only one).

James Brophy - One footed, but very quick and talented. Always beats his full backs, his end product isn't always the best but he is an awkward player to play against with his good technical ability. Worth a punt on a free for a League One side IMO, may or may not improve in a better side as he is another one who needs to keep his head screwed on.

Dan Happe - Form has dipped a bit recently, alot of people think he is already gone. 22 and we will get a fee for him if he leaves though. Left footed CB, he's 6'4 and can play out from the back. Certainly has the potential to play higher and IMO will leave. He's served us well since coming through our youth team.

Lawrence Vigouroux - Had a ropey last couple of games, but still a fine keeper at this level if not the best on his day. 17 clean sheets this season and our whole team have looked more secure with him in goal. Almost certainly going to play higher next season.

Remaining Out of Contract players:

Sam Ling - Right back who's not good enough without the ball and has poor positional sense, he's fine in possession but we need to upgrapde. Release.

Joe Widdowson - Steady enough left back, but will be 32 and again we need someone younger, better and who's a bit more dynamic - Youngster Shadrach Ogie expected to play there more next season. He's not held down a regualr place this season, so I'd expect him to be released which I'd agree with.

Josh Coulson - Served us well but we signed Adam Thompson who is a big upgrade in January. Was 50/50 on keeping him but not played for 3 months. Release with heavy heart.

Craig Clay - He's slowly got better at this level, IMO a useful squad player and recently given captaincy. I'd keep him.

Lee Angol - Talented targetman, but lazy and has had 3 seperate hamstring injuries in his 2 years here meaning he has been injured for around 9 of 24 months. Release.

James Dayton - Barely played. Release.

Myles Judd - Totally lost his way at the club and not featured this season, release.

Louis Dennis - Has talent, doesn't use it often enough and is largely inconsistent. Also had quite a few niggling injuries. Release.

Jamie Turley - Recently came back into the side under Jobi and played really well and actually got a decent run in the side. He's 50/50 on being kept because of his poor injury record, but I'd keep him as backup, a good leader as well.

Jordan Maguire-Drew - Currently on loan at Crawley, very talented and capable of being that difference in a game to win it, but the penny hasn't quite dropped that he has to work harder off the ball to keep his place in a team. A bit of luxury player, will no doubt end up in League Two and certainly worth a punt if someone can coach into him he needs to work harder in certain areas. We have signed Dan Kemp who IMO is better and works alot harder as well.

Jobi McAnuff - Still got it at 39, if he is given the managers job pernamently which as it stands I am expecting then IMO he has to retire to fully focus on that as player/manager doesn't fully work for me. If he isn't made pernament manager then I don't know, he can still play, coach and does tv work as well.

Brendon Shabani & Jayden Sweeney - 2 youngsters who've not featured this season, both likely to be released.

Loan Players:

Tunji Akinola - Youngster on loan from West Ham, played well for us at RB and CB. Would love to sign him pernamently but not sure what West Ham have planned for him.

Nick Freeman - Skillful player from Wycombe, I like him but not been fully utilised IMO by ourselves. Has another year at Wycombe and will likely stay there.

Tristan Abrahams - Signed quickly from Newport to cover for our striker injuries to Angol and Sotiriou, not been fully utilised at all and doesn't fit into our system. Deployed out wide on the left and as a loan striker when used and can't really play either as he needs to play in a 2 up top IMO. Will likely end up either in League Two or in the National League next season, but needs a team to play to his strengths which Newport initially did.

Last edited:

Holty10

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Bolton Squad

Contracted for Next Season
GK - Matt Gilks
LB - Liam Gordon
CB - Ricardo Santos, Liam Edwards, Reiss Greenidge
RB -
CM - Kieran Lee, MJ Williams, George Thomason, Brandon Comley
CAM - Antoni Sarcevic, Ali Crawford, Ronan Darcy
LW/RW - Dennis Politic
ST - Eoin Doyle, Nathan Delfouneso

Out of Contract/Loan Expiring
GK - Lukas Jensen (Burnley), Billy Crellin (Fleetwood)
  • Both going back to their parent clubs. Didn't work out with Crellin for us. I think Jensen's Burnley contract is up this summer, so maybe we sign him on a free after using this loan as an extended trial. Yet to play for us though so no idea if he's any good.
LB - Declan John (Swansea), Ben Jackson (Huddersfield), Jamie Mascoll
  • I imagine we'll offer John a decent contract but not sure he signs for us if we don't get promoted. The other two won't be coming back
CB - Alex Baptiste, Ryan Delaney
  • Wouldn't mind re-signing either of these as backup but we can do better at starting CB. Wouldn't be upset if they were shown the door.
RB - Gethin Jones, Harry Brockbank, Jak Hickman
  • Would keep Jones as he's a capable a starter in L2 and okay for squad depth in L1 I would imagine. Brockbank a player that can cover across the back four so would be fine to sign as squad depth. I've liked the look of Hickman when he's played, think he could do a job for another L2 team but Evatt clearly doesn't rate him. Murmurings of attitude problems with him.
CM - Andrew Tutte
  • Can feel slightly hard done by not to have featured more in the second half of the season, as he was one of the few bright spots in a lacklustre first half. Wouldn't hesitate to sign him up for another year no matter what league we're in, although I can see him getting released.
LW/RW - Dapo Afolayan (West Ham), Arhtur Gnahoua, Zach Elbouzedi (Lincoln), Lloyd Isgrove
  • We'll probably offer something to Afolayan as his West Ham contract is up this summer and it's extremely unlikely he'll get an extension there. Gnahoua's done well as a super-sub this season, would keep him around. Elbouzedi's contract is up at Lincoln but not sure there's a league footballer in there, so would avoid signing him. Isgrove is fine as a starter in this league or backup in L1.
ST - Shaun Miller
  • 34 in September and has been injured for half the time he's been here so thanks but no thanks. Could still do a job for a lower/mid table L2 team if fit.
I don't think Gnahoua has been good enough overall. Shows a bit off the bench, but not sure he is going to step up and feature enough if we go up. He's not really played well when he's been given a start.

Similarly don't think Tutte would get much game time. We seem short of a CM option off the bench Evatt trusts to see out a game.

Isgrove is a worker and deserves a shot. Think there would be games that suit him.

Not sure about both Brockbank and Jones too, but also wouldn't mind if we have the squad space.

If we do get up I think we need quite a few signings as we don't have the depth in a few positions. Quite a big drop in quality if Santos/ John/ MJ/ Lee/ Sarce/ Doyle were out.

Obviously different if we're in league 2, but I still think we can be stronger next year.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Alex Hurst signs a 2 year extension so that answers that. 21 so not sure how cap is with him as he’s not 22 under October.

Had to wait his chance but done well enough when getting it, scored a couple of goals and raw but has something about him; one I think could develop under DC and the new set up.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Alex Hurst signs a 2 year extension so that answers that. 21 so not sure how cap is with him as he’s not 22 under October.

Had to wait his chance but done well enough when getting it, scored a couple of goals and raw but has something about him; one I think could develop under DC and the new set up.

I have to admit was rather undecided partly due to the squad limit cap but would be looking to get him out on loan to a decent conference club at least for the first half of the season. Got some good attributes just needs consistent game time to help him put it all together.

Good to see we are being proactive in the moves we are making rather than waiting round to the end of the season.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Under contract (all until end of 21/22)

Luke McGee (GK)
Bailey Cargill (CB)
Kane Wilson (RB)
Nicky Cadden (LB)
Dom Bernard (utility)
Dan Sweeney (utility)
Elliott Whitehouse (CM)
Ebou Adams (CM)
Harvey Bunker (CM)
Vaughn Covil (AM/W)
Jamille Matt (ST)
Jake Young (ST)

Our out of contract players are

Lewis Thomas (GK)
Adam Smith (GK)
Chris Stokes (CB)
Udoka Godwin-Malife (CB)
Jack Evans (LB)
Scott Wagstaff (utility)
Taylor Allen (utility)
Aaron Collins (ST)
Shawn McCoulsky (ST)

4 expiring loans

Jayden Richardson (RB)
Isaac Hutchinson (CM)
Odin Bailey (AM/W)
Josh Davison (ST)

Obviously until we appoint a head coach we’re unlikely to be offering contracts. Of the 12 under contract 2 are first year pros who haven’t played a minute this season in the league.

Of those out of contract, no.1 priority has to be trying to keep Godwin-Malife, who I’m pretty sure will be attracting interest. Would also try to keep Stokes (club captain) and Thomas, possibly Collins as well but with the 20 man squad cap it wouldn’t surprise me if the new head coach wants some leeway to make signings.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I have to admit was rather undecided partly due to the squad limit cap but would be looking to get him out on loan to a decent conference club at least for the first half of the season. Got some good attributes just needs consistent game time to help him put it all together.

Good to see we are being proactive in the moves we are making rather than waiting round to the end of the season.
2 Players decided this week so looks like now safe we should hear on the rest in the coming weeks rather than wait.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I don't think Gnahoua has been good enough overall. Shows a bit off the bench, but not sure he is going to step up and feature enough if we go up. He's not really played well when he's been given a start.

Similarly don't think Tutte would get much game time. We seem short of a CM option off the bench Evatt trusts to see out a game.

Isgrove is a worker and deserves a shot. Think there would be games that suit him.

Not sure about both Brockbank and Jones too, but also wouldn't mind if we have the squad space.

If we do get up I think we need quite a few signings as we don't have the depth in a few positions. Quite a big drop in quality if Santos/ John/ MJ/ Lee/ Sarce/ Doyle were out.

Obviously different if we're in league 2, but I still think we can be stronger next year.
If we go up i expect Major investment and a few Championship standard players coming in
We signed players too good for lge 2 in January.....If we go up i expect some players who have done well to become squad players at best.
If we dont go up i expect 90% Of players out of contract to leave but i would not expect players better than we currently have

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
This is gonna be a long post...............................

We have 7 players under contract for next season, don't see any reason why the club would get rid of any of these and I expect all of them to play their part next season:

Sam Sargeant (Backup GK)
Shadrach Ogie
Adam Thompson
Dan Kemp
Ouss Cisse
Hector Kyprianou
Ruel Sotiriou

However we have a rather large out of contract list, I expect most of these players to leave for one reason for another. We have 5 of our better players we really need to keep to push on, but I suspect they will get offers to play higher, they are:

Danny Johnson - 20 goals this season, worth a punt on a free for any League One side. Play to his strengths and he can get goals. From Teeside and I'd expect him to jump at the chance to move back closer to there.

Conor Wilkinson - An Enigma but a talented player. Struggled last season with form and injuries, but this season he's stayed fit and been decent. Worth a punt on a free for a League One side, but he needs to right mentally IMO to be able to produce his best form - Which last season he wasn't. (But not the only one).

James Brophy - One footed, but very quick and talented. Always beats his full backs, his end product isn't always the best but he is an awkward player to play against with his good technical ability. Worth a punt on a free for a League One side IMO, may or may not improve in a better side as he is another one who needs to keep his head screwed on.

Dan Happe - Form has dipped a bit recently, alot of people think he is already gone. 22 and we will get a fee for him if he leaves though. Left footed CB, he's 6'4 and can play out from the back. Certainly has the potential to play higher and IMO will leave. He's served us well since coming through our youth team.

Lawrence Vigouroux - Had a ropey last couple of games, but still a fine keeper at this level if not the best on his day. 17 clean sheets this season and our whole team have looked more secure with him in goal. Almost certainly going to play higher next season.

Remaining Out of Contract players:

Sam Ling - Right back who's not good enough without the ball and has poor positional sense, he's fine in possession but we need to upgrapde. Release.

Joe Widdowson - Steady enough left back, but will be 32 and again we need someone younger, better and who's a bit more dynamic - Youngster Shadrach Ogie expected to play there more next season. He's not held down a regualr place this season, so I'd expect him to be released which I'd agree with.

Josh Coulson - Served us well but we signed Adam Thompson who is a big upgrade in January. Was 50/50 on keeping him but not played for 3 months. Release with heavy heart.

Craig Clay - He's slowly got better at this level, IMO a useful squad player and recently given captaincy. I'd keep him.

Lee Angol - Talented targetman, but lazy and has had 3 seperate hamstring injuries in his 2 years here meaning he has been injured for around 9 of 24 months. Release.

James Dayton - Barely played. Release.

Myles Judd - Totally lost his way at the club and not featured this season, release.

Louis Dennis - Has talent, doesn't use it often enough and is largely inconsistent. Also had quite a few niggling injuries. Release.

Jamie Turley - Recently came back into the side under Jobi and played really well and actually got a decent run in the side. He's 50/50 on being kept because of his poor injury record, but I'd keep him as backup, a good leader as well.

Jordan Maguire-Drew - Currently on loan at Crawley, very talented and capable of being that difference in a game to win it, but the penny hasn't quite dropped that he has to work harder off the ball to keep his place in a team. A bit of luxury player, will no doubt end up in League Two and certainly worth a punt if someone can coach into him he needs to work harder in certain areas. We have signed Dan Kemp who IMO is better and works alot harder as well.

Jobi McAnuff - Still got it at 39, if he is given the managers job pernamently which as it stands I am expecting then IMO he has to retire to fully focus on that as player/manager doesn't fully work for me. If he isn't made pernament manager then I don't know, he can still play, coach and does tv work as well.

Brendon Shabani & Jayden Sweeney - 2 youngsters who've not featured this season, both likely to be released.

Loan Players:

Tunji Akinola - Youngster on loan from West Ham, played well for us at RB and CB. Would love to sign him pernamently but not sure what West Ham have planned for him.

Nick Freeman - Skillful player from Wycombe, I like him but not been fully utilised IMO by ourselves. Has another year at Wycombe and will likely stay there.

Tristan Abrahams - Signed quickly from Newport to cover for our striker injuries to Angol and Sotiriou, not been fully utilised at all and doesn't fit into our system. Deployed out wide on the left and as a loan striker when used and can't really play either as he needs to play in a 2 up top IMO. Will likely end up either in League Two or in the National League next season, but needs a team to play to his strengths which Newport initially did.

Excellent summary.

Not arsed about Happe going as I’ve always thought Ekpiteta made him look much better than he actually is. If we manage to keep hold of any of the rest of the ‘big 5’ I’d be surprised and delighted.

With so many players leaving I’d be tempted to keep hold of - no fainting in the back - Louis Dennis. Clearly has ability and positional versatility. Terrible run with injuries. Still think he might come good.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We've got a pretty small squad, none of them will be on a huge whack and none of them have done badly enough that I'd be clamouring to see them leave. There's certainly one or two who I wouldn't be disappointed to see go and we'll need to be looking to improve in a few areas next season which might necessitate departures, but we've managed to avoid signing passengers.

Case in point, Rod McDonald has probably been the most disliked player by the fans this season, he's had a few poor games, a few too many for us to want him starting all the time, but he's had enough good games too to be considered decent backup. If he were to leave then it's probably 50/50 whether the player who comes in in his place is an improvement.

Certainly after our terrible start to the season having had the biggest squad turnover in the EFL we want to start next season with a group of players who are used to playing together and familiar with how we play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!