Out of contract players this summer

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I think out of the 30+ players on our books about 5 are under contract next year.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
No it wouldn't, we used to get players on loan from Cheltenham. I remember the likes of Josh Low, Ben Cleverley, Michael Whittington and Michael Taylor for example. In fact it was only 11 years ago that even our player/assistant manager Jerry Gill was on loan from them.
He was probably going to Cheltenham then.

Whittington was never going to make it, unfortunately, and it was a travesty how Martin Allen treated Josh Low. Michael Taylor - was that the centre-back? We had him from Blackburn I think.

Cleverley was still playing at Paulton very recently.

The only decent youth prospect is Grant Horton - I'm not sure he's ready for League 2 yet. Wouldn't surprise me if George Lloyd was let out on loan next season though.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Michael Taylor - was that the centre-back? We had him from Blackburn I think.

Yes, that's the one. Came in during the last couple of months of the season under Gary Owers, was very solid and helped us stay up by the skin of our teeth. I liked him was hoping we could keep him as you released him at the end of that season, no nonsense and seemed a decent lad.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Another one who, on his day looked perfectly capable, but never seemed to be consistent enough. I liked him.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
So from our out of contacts here ;
Lloyd Jones - Would offer something, but think he'll get League 1 interest on a free
Alex Jones - As above
Alan Sheehan - Quality, but spend 2/3rd of the year injured and don't think he'll recover. Release
Steve Arnold - Not able to dislodge an awful keeper. Release
Ryan Watson - Will attract League 1 interest, but would keep if he wanted to stay
Cian Bolger (option) - Release
Mark Marshall - On balance, release as his age is getting in his way
Ricky Korboa (option) - Release

I imagine Harry Smith and Matty Warbuton will be transfer listed.

Leaves us with one Centreback, two fullbacks, three mifielders and two strikers, along with no manager, so another very big rebuilding job again.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Lloyd Jones - Would offer something, but think he'll get League 1 interest on a free
Alex Jones - As above
Alan Sheehan - Quality, but spend 2/3rd of the year injured and don't think he'll recover. Release
Ryan Watson - Will attract League 1 interest, but would keep if he wanted to stay

Leaves us with one Centreback, two fullbacks, three mifielders and two strikers, along with no manager, so another very big rebuilding job again.

When we had him on loan in 2016 genuinely thought he could have gone on to big things however then went to Bradford and spent almost the entire time since out with various injuries. Shame as he is a clever player and excellent finisher just one of those players it's always a risk signing him because of availability.

I think today may well be what has sealed Monty's fate I suspect with us and we will be parting ways after next weekend.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
When we had him on loan in 2016 genuinely thought he could have gone on to big things however then went to Bradford and spent almost the entire time since out with various injuries. Shame as he is a clever player and excellent finisher just one of those players it's always a risk signing him because of availability.

I think today may well be what has sealed Monty's fate I suspect with us and we will be parting ways after next weekend.

Cant see him judging him on that surely? It depends who’s coming in I guess. It will certainly be interesting.

Worrying about Gibbons though, doesn’t sound positive and after losing him for most of this season if he’s out into next that would be a huge blow. Arguably as good as any right back at this level and been a huge miss.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Alex Jones - As above

Once again another rebuilding job. Horrendous. Would try to keep Jones and Watson but expect they’ll disappear to someone in League 1

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Cant see him judging him on that surely? It depends who’s coming in I guess. It will certainly be interesting.

Worrying about Gibbons though, doesn’t sound positive and after losing him for most of this season if he’s out into next that would be a huge blow. Arguably as good as any right back at this level and been a huge miss.

If you listen to DC's post-match interview he was very critical of Monty's lack of discipline and more specifically the fact that he never learns his lesson no matter how many times he's told. That is pretty damning to me, couple that with his injury record I think he's played his last game in a Vale shirt. It is plausible that DC just says what comes to his mind at any given second (whereas Flitcroft is the more diplomatic and business-like of the partnership) and was blowing off steam but sounds to me he's had enough with him.

That Gibbo news is very concerning especially with it being the hamstring again. Problem is his style of play I suspect it's always going to be a risk with him as he only knows one gear.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I think out of the 30+ players on our books about 5 are under contract next year.
Was told last night that some don't seam to be on anything more than month to month contracts now? and over half the players from yesterday won't be there next season.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Excellent summary.

Not arsed about Happe going as I’ve always thought Ekpiteta made him look much better than he actually is. If we manage to keep hold of any of the rest of the ‘big 5’ I’d be surprised and delighted.

With so many players leaving I’d be tempted to keep hold of - no fainting in the back - Louis Dennis. Clearly has ability and positional versatility. Terrible run with injuries. Still think he might come good.

Changed my mind. Fuck the lot of them off except the keeper (who we won’t keep hold of anyway).

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Here's our squad as it stands.

Under contract:

Goalkeeper
Brad Wade (20). Youth player who's never made a league appearance for us. Spent this season on loan at Guiseley, who haven't been playing, so don't know what his situation is.

Defender
Joe Dunne (19). Left sided centre back. Played a couple of Tinpot Pizza Trophy games and looked reasonable. Out of contract, but we have an option for a further year.

Midfielders.
Ethan Brierley (17). Four very competent appearances as sub, then spent the second half of the season on loan at Man City's youth system. Hope they sign him, a bit of dosh is always helpful.
Conor Grant (21 on Tuesday). Signed in January from the Wednesdayshambles youth teams. After a slow start, developed into a very useful player. Skilful, and aware of what's going on around him.
Aaron Morley (21). Another youth product. Been a regular for the last two seasons, and now has over 70 league appearances. Good passer and dead ball striker, tends to get caught in possession, particularly when played on the right of a back 3.
Olly Rathbone (24). Signed from Man U's youth teams, has made 150 increasingly good appearances. We turned down a bid from Hull last summer, with only 1 year left on his contract he may well be off if a decent L1 or lower end Championship side come in for him with a reasonable offer (150k plus)
Conor Shaughnessy (24). Tall, and can take long throw-ins. Slightly better footballer than Exodus Geohagan, but can't throw the ball as far. Can supposedly play Centre Back as well - give him a try there because he's not much cop in midfield.

Forwards
Jake Beesley (24). Old fashioned centre-forward signed from Solihull last summer. Never gives up, puts his head in where it hurts and can run all day. Scores, too - got seven in 29 games in a season interrupted by a broken foot and concussion (putting his head on a loose ball at the exact second Plymouth's goalie way trying to launch it into hyperspace).
Stephen Humphreys (23). Knows where the goal is, but his hamstrings seem to be shorter than they should be. If he can stay fit all season is a 20+ goal striker as L1 level, never mind L2.
Alex Newby. Signed from Chorley last summer. Useful winger and free-kick taker. Started well, but dropped out of the first 11 towards the end of the season.
Abraham Odoh (20). Signed from Charlton is January, came on as sub in one game (looking reasonable) then injured in training at not been seen since.

Out of Contract
Goalkeeper
Jay Lynch (28). Competent but not outstanding. Would offer him another year or two, but also look to signing another keeper on loan.

Defenders
Ryan McLaughlin. Excellent but injury prone (although he made more than 30 appearences this season) Right Back/Right Wing Back (can do either). Offer new deal.
Paul McShane. CB. Would be playing in the Championship still if fully fit, but struggled to be so. Would keep, but as Manager (he's got all his badges).
Jim McNulty. CB. Another veteran whose best days are behind him. Release (or offer Manager's job if McShane doesn't want it)
Eoghan O'Connell. Excellent player, too good for L2. Offer new deal, but expect he might get better offers elsewhere.

Midfield.
Lewis Bradley (20). 2nd year pro. Not been near the first team all season. Release
Stephen Dooley (29). The occasional bit of world-beating skill is more than compensated for by the frequent passes to the nearest opponent. Release.
Harrison Hopper (20) 2nd year pro. Has been around the squad and made a couple of brief cameos. Worth another 6 month deal.
Matt Lund. Offer 2 year deal. More than good enough when fit. Do not under any circumstances play him at centre-forward - he scored 12 goals from midfield, none when pushed up top.
Jimmy Ryan. Good player when fit, but hasn't been since October. If he can get fit would be an asset. If he's fit in July offer a 6 month deal, if not, release.

Forward.
Kwadwo Baah (19). Wunderkind and scorer of spectacular goals. Probably being sold to Watford.

All-Rounder.
Matty Done (32). Left back/left wing/striker. Never gives up, and deserves another year.

Swiss Army Knife.
Jimmy Keohane (30). RWB/RCB/LCB/LWB/RW/DCM/ACM/LW/F (probably best at left wing/back though).
Scored 9 goals despite playing in a different position every second game. Player Of Season for me. Offer a new deal. Yes, Exeter fans, its the chap who played for you a few years ago, then disappeared to Ireland...

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Rochdale definitely changing manager then?

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Rochdale definitely changing manager then?
Not necessarily. But spending 3/4 of the season playing tiki taka and playing with a back four including two wing backs before realising that our staff are best suited to 3 - 5 - 2 formation does not inspire confidence in BBM!

There are moves afoot to remove the current board - three or four different factions (Bottomleyites, Dunphyites, Kellyites, American investors and Overcoat Men) all adding up their shareholdings. Trouble at'Mill...

Forgot the loanees in my previous post:
Gavin Bazunu. Excellent shot-stopper, but prone to howlers as one would expect from an 18 year old keeper.
Tolaji Bola. Probably a decent left back, but realised that playing left wing-back in a four was not for him, and baled out back to Arsenal.
Haydon Roberts. Very good footballer, but too short for a centre-back. Either needs to grow a few inches or re-invent himself as a holding midfielder.
Gabriel Osho. Classy defender, would love him back but I suspect Luton's plans for next season include him in their first team squad (which might mean Matty Pearson is available...)
Jack Vale. Injured for most of his spell, might be OK if fit.

Reactions: Boz

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Changed my mind. Fuck the lot of them off except the keeper (who we won’t keep hold of anyway).
After the last few weeks I'm in agreement, we have 7 players for next season so have something to build around. Been obvious for weeks virtually the whole of our team will gone soon.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
After the last few weeks I'm in agreement, we have 7 players for next season so have something to build around. Been obvious for weeks virtually the whole of our team will gone soon.

Who exactly are the 7? Thompson, Sotiriou, Kyprianou, Cissé, Kemp, Ogie and who else? Because to tell you the truth, that isn’t much to build around.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Who exactly are the 7? Thompson, Sotiriou, Kyprianou, Cissé, Kemp, Ogie and who else? Because to tell you the truth, that isn’t much to build around.
Sam Sargeant is the last one - at least we have a keeper.........

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Updated thoughts on our players futures;-

I'm expecting all loanees to return to parent clubs;-

Bobby Thomas and Mace Goodridge (Burnley), Tom Davies (Bristol Rovers), Neil Eardley (Burton Albion?), and Daniel Bramall (Barnsley?)
Goodgridge and Bramall had season ending injuries so are back at their clubs already.
Thomas and Goodridge i'd have back on loan next season no problem.
Tom Davies i'd try to sign if he gets released by Bristol Rovers.

Goalkeepers;-
Joel Dixon - depends on the Bolton rumours - will gladly keep him if doesn't leave.
Scott Moloney - never actually seen him play, but he's under 21 so will probably stay
Josh Lillis - don't think he'll play again, but is goalkeeper coach too - so will stay.

Defenders;-
Conner Brown - whole hearted player;- steady but unspectacular, always gives 100% though. 50% chance he stays for next season.
Patrick Brough - the Cumbrian Carlos, 6 goals from LWB and only spent half the season playing there. 100% keep.
Mathew Platt - injured for a few months this season - very promising young CB - 100% keep
Sam Hird - won't play again for us - but assistant manager at present and looks like he's being groomed as a future Barrow manager.
James Jones - another who has been unlucky with injuries - 100% keep, promising player but next season will be a big season for him.
Yoan Zouma - young and probably 90+% chance he will be released.
Scott Wilson - another young CB not played much, but never let the team down, will still be classed as u21 next season - so 90% keep.
Kgosietsile Ntlhe - has got better over the season. 75% keep - but might depend if we can get Davies(?)
Brad Barry - 100% keep, had to fill in in midfield later this season - but probably back at RWB next season.
Dion Donohue - 99% chance won't be here next season

Midfield
Jason Taylor - a big part in our pick up after Jolley left, but will probably go into a player/coach role if we can get a replacement with the same amount of heart.
Callum Gribben - release
Mike Jones - picked up a bad injury early in the season and has been out since - should be like a new signing next season.
Josh Kay - sorry Josh - you know you won't be here next season after last weekend... take some time out, get your head sorted out and learn how to tackle. If you do that there is a good chance you'll play in L2 (or maybe higher eventually) again.
Bobby Burns - broke his leg on loan at Glentoran, but still under contract next season (I think) - never really played for us - but has a good pedigree.
Tom Beadling - under contract already, improved as season went on.
Chris Taylor - played his part this season - but not getting any younger - 90% chance will be released.
Jamie Devitt - already contracted for next season.
Ollie Banks - already contracted for next season.

Strikers
Morgan Penfold - young forward, hardly played and 100% will be released.
Scott Quigley - 2 years left on his contract - no doubt there will be offers for him this summer, but it would take a crazy big offer for us even to consider letting him move, HANDS OFF!
Calvin Andrew - sign him up for next season if we can 100%
Luke James - under contract already
Dmitri Sea - still under 21 - so keep
Courtney Baker Richardson - got injured, never played for us then went out on loan - very unlikely we will keep him i think
Mikael Ndjoli - hardly even made the bench after joining in January - can't see him being kept - will probably join a team near London as he's ex Millwall and Brentford academy player. Would probably be a good fit at Southend as he's quick

so probably need about 10 new players all in all.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Olagunju is having a mare. At fault for the goal and all over the place lol

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Abo Eisa, Alex Gilliead, Kevin Van Veen and Olomola all confirmed as gone and were left out today. Eisa and Gilliead were two of our best players.

We have an option on one of our CBs Jacob Bedau but we cannot afford to exercise it.

No idea what kind of team we are going to be able to field.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Abo Eisa, Alex Gilliead, Kevin Van Veen and Olomola all confirmed as gone and were left out today. Eisa and Gilliead were two of our best players.

We have an option on one of our CBs Jacob Bedau but we cannot afford to exercise it.

No idea what kind of team we are going to be able to field.

Eisa is a surprise, he has always been brilliant against us. Whether that is just due to our failings I don't know but the goal he scored at VP was an absolute worldie.

We will probably know more with ourselves by Wednesday though I will be surprised if any more than a few of ours get offered deals. Pope has played his final game for us am sure and in all honesty it is the only decision you can make there. Some Vale fans would be offering him "one more year" in 2050 but objectively if anyone saw him today he is finished.

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Eisa is a surprise, he has always been brilliant against us. Whether that is just due to our failings I don't know but the goal he scored at VP was an absolute worldie.

We will probably know more with ourselves by Wednesday though I will be surprised if any more than a few of ours get offered deals. Pope has played his final game for us am sure and in all honesty it is the only decision you can make there. Some Vale fans would be offering him "one more year" in 2050 but objectively if anyone saw him today he is finished.
Eisa is a very good player, just inconsistent like any winger/attacking mid at this level.

We'd love to keep him but we can't afford him and he doesn't want to stay.

I expect him to go to a L1 club.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

I’d take Eisa!

Pope looked done, maybe wasn’t fit though he’s only played about 10 minutes in four months I guess.

Hard on the heart to say but probably the right time for him to leave. Our only real legend of the 21st century and deserves all the plaudits, the goals and records for his boyhood team, proper fairy tale and that moment at the Etihad. Those 33 goals in 2012/13 (not a single penalty). Love him.

McKirdy will be gone, did nothing today, all be it in some kind of weird position of wing back.

Olagunju won’t get a deal, he was like a baby foal.

Looks as though Montano is off and would release Cullen, Guthrie, pay up Whitehead and maybe Burgess.

Let Crookes, Fitz and Mills go.

Keep Brown although was poor for the third today, Joyce (but get a younger player to compete in that position) and if Monty wants to stay keep him.

Legge one year, tempted to keep Bris.

Clear out time. Build around Conlon, Smith, Gibbons, Worrall and Rodney.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
I’d take Eisa!

Pope looked done, maybe wasn’t fit though he’s only played about 10 minutes in four months I guess.

Hard on the heart to say but probably the right time for him to leave. Our only real legend of the 21st century and deserves all the plaudits, the goals and records for his boyhood team, proper fairy tale and that moment at the Etihad. Those 33 goals in 2012/13 (not a single penalty). Love him.

McKirdy will be gone, did nothing today, all be it in some kind of weird position of wing back.

Olagunju won’t get a deal, he was like a baby foal.

Looks as though Montano is off and would release Cullen, Guthrie, pay up Whitehead and maybe Burgess.

Let Crookes, Fitz and Mills go.

Keep Brown although was poor for the third today, Joyce (but get a younger player to compete in that position) and if Monty wants to stay keep him.

Legge one year, tempted to keep Bris.

Clear out time. Build around Conlon, Smith, Gibbons, Worrall and Rodney.

DC interview suggests to me the clear-out is coming. Sounds like he was keeping his powder dry on this until the season ended but a lot of players are going to be looking for another club in a day or two and I'm in favour to be honest. Further sign to me this is the man we need at the top who is prepared to take the proverbial axe to this squad.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
DC interview suggests to me the clear-out is coming. Sounds like he was keeping his powder dry on this until the season ended but a lot of players are going to be looking for another club in a day or two and I'm in favour to be honest. Further sign to me this is the man we need at the top who is prepared to take the proverbial axe to this squad.

Love the Dazzler. No punches pulled and sounds like an exciting summer ahead.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
Only ones I'd keep are gibbons Smith legge conlon worrall Taylor amoo rodney Robinson and hurst. All the rest can go burgess and Whitehead are under contract but I'd pay them up. Brown played well in goal today but has made quite a few errors this season and is 36 years old so I'd let him go as he is on the downward spiral.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing official as yet but someone on OVF who is almost always spot on with these things has said all of our out of contract players have been let go so looks like some big changes are coming with our squad.

Would imagine there will be an official announcement this evening or tomorrow but only one that really would sadden me is Scott Brown. Been a great keeper for us though he has declined somewhat in the last year.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Vale fans: The problem with letting all the players go is finding replacements .

Scott Brown, decent keeper, you know what you are getting but replace him with a keeper let go somewhere else, an academy kid or a lower league punt and suddenly you don't feel as secure.

Not having a go at you as such but it is a quandary for all us teams without lots of dosh to splash around.

Casey

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Nothing official as yet but someone on OVF who is almost always spot on with these things has said all of our out of contract players have been let go so looks like some big changes are coming with our squad.

Would imagine there will be an official announcement this evening or tomorrow but only one that really would sadden me is Scott Brown. Been a great keeper for us though he has declined somewhat in the last year.
I would be surprised but you never know!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Vale fans: The problem with letting all the players go is finding replacements .

Scott Brown, decent keeper, you know what you are getting but replace him with a keeper let go somewhere else, an academy kid or a lower league punt and suddenly you don't feel as secure.

Not having a go at you as such but it is a quandary for all us teams without lots of dosh to splash around.

Casey
I'd keep both Brown and Visser, Visser is decent back up and Brown is a good keeper but I guess it depends if DC has someone else lined up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!