Playoffs 2016

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Play-offs are normally won by the team who has finished the last six/eight weeks of the regular season off in the best form. Plymouth won't beat Portsmouth over two games on recent form. Afc Wimbledon will have to be better than they have been all season to beat one of Acrington, Oxford or Gas. If it's Gas vs Portsmouth at Wembley one thing is for sure, it will be largest ever crowd for a league 2 play off final. Both clubs could take 40k each! As a Gashead I can't help thinking if we got to Wembley what's the chances of it happening two seasons running. Can't see Accrington dropping points next Saturday but Oxford dropping points at home to Wycombe seems more likely but even that is a slim chance. Then to even have a chance of automatic we need to beat a relegated team who won 3-0 yesterday! What ever happens its a lot better things were two years ago! UTG!

Plymouth would take more than the both of you.

Reactions: JJH

NorfolkWomble

Reaction score
Supports
Wimbledon
Well I just found out I can't make the final if we somehow scrape it through...

PoolieTom

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Based purely on what I have seen this season against us, I would expect all of Accrington, Oxford and Bristol Rovers to go up, regardless of who finishes in the play offs.

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
To be fair PoolieTom I can't argue with that as after our loss at your place I thought we had lost our chance on a playoff.

We were so poor at your place but then went on a massive run of wins.

Looking forward to Saturday so that we can finally arrange for travel to whoever we are playing. I have a feeling that Accrington or/and Oxford are going to draw and let in Bristol Rovers.

I will be at our game against Newport on Saturday but I wish Sky were doing live action of all three to see the drama as I don't think it will be plain sailing for all of them.

womble76

Reaction score
Supports
wimbledon
Bloody accrington. The one trio I did not want. However we have beaten them at their place this season so I'm hopeful of similar.

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
However we have beaten them at their place this season so I'm hopeful of similar.

I wanted Accy for that reason. We've picked up a grand total of 1 point against Oxford and Rovers, but we've managed 4 against Accy.

Wombling Kiwi

Reaction score
Supports
football
Of the 3 I was hoping for Accy, I feel we have a better chance against them over the other 2. Win that then we get to take on Portsmouth at Wembley............... Portsmouth will win both legs against Plymouth. If all that happens hopefully I can find a internet site to watch the final at 3AM in the morning, like I did when we beat Luton.

Murphy

Bloody Nice Chap
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham & Redbridge and Stephen Mulhern.
Twitter
@NickMurphy1995
Fancy Wimbledon to do it, especially after Accrington's near miss after being in the top 3 for so long.

Wimbledon/Pompey final I reckon.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
The Plymouth game will be tight. We've generally dominated play against them in both games yet lapses in concentration have been punished and we've failed to take our chances when we've been on top.

If we get through Argyle then I would fancy us in the final. Stanley have been second-best in all three games they've played against us this season whilst I think we're a better team than the Dons and Wembley's large pitch will suit our game more than theirs.

Nervous already.

Grecian O'Grecian

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Going to plump for a Wimbledon/Plymouth final. Accrington will be hurting and reckon Plymouth will edge out Portsmouth.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
I fancy a Accrington/Portsmouth final with Pompey taking the final spot in League One.

Reactions: WAP

Wiinotfit

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@bestie82
Accrington v Plymouth final for me with Plymouth taking the final promotion spot

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
The Plymouth game will be tight. We've generally dominated play against them in both games yet lapses in concentration have been punished and we've failed to take our chances when we've been on top.

If we get through Argyle then I would fancy us in the final. Stanley have been second-best in all three games they've played against us this season whilst I think we're a better team than the Dons and Wembley's large pitch will suit our game more than theirs.

Nervous already.

Interesting comment, so Wimbledon don't have a passing game?

Don't be fooled by the way we play at home on the cabbage patch!

In all seriousness Pompey look a decent team but I see their problem being that they have such a huge expectation on their shoulders and I don't think Paul Cook knows his best team.

IF we reach the playoffs and Pompey reach it also, I think our manager has the easiest team talk ever.

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
Going to plump for a Wimbledon/Plymouth final. Accrington will be hurting and reckon Plymouth will edge out Portsmouth.

I am biased of course but we knew whoever we faced, we would have to be play very well to get to the final, however, with them hurting and I don't buy this rubbish about John Coleman will get them ready, I seriously believe we have a better chance than I did last Saturday.

If I was an Accy fan I couldn't help but worry what mental state their team are in.

Also one final thing and I imagine Accy fans are saying this in reverse, but if someone on the opening day of the season at home to Plymouth offered me a semi final against Accy in the Playoff final semi finals, I would of ripped their arm off!

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
I see a lot of Portsmouth fans moaning about their allocation of 1700 for the game at HP. Why?

The last 2 times your fans have visited you've not managed to sell that many and also each club only has to give 10% of the capacity. At the moment I think our 'capacity' stands at around 16,000 due to the grandstand shambles, but when we 'sell out' it's only actually just over 14k.

Therefore, what reasons are there for us to give you more than 1700 and a larger voice and backing for the game? The home section is going to easily sell out (if it hasn't already). Just because you've given us the whole Milton End totalling about 3000 doesn't mean we need to do the same back. I'd suspect you'd have done the same however stewarding the one stand is far easier if it's all one fanbase. Whereas with ours you'll be in part of the 'horseshoe' the stewarding/policing scenario remains pretty much the same whether you have 1500 or 2500.

Imagine if you'd got Wimbledon or Accy...

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
I see a lot of Portsmouth fans moaning about their allocation of 1700 for the game at HP. Why?

The last 2 times your fans have visited you've not managed to sell that many and also each club only has to give 10% of the capacity. At the moment I think our 'capacity' stands at around 16,000 due to the grandstand shambles, but when we 'sell out' it's only actually just over 14k.

Therefore, what reasons are there for us to give you more than 1700 and a larger voice and backing for the game? The home section is going to easily sell out (if it hasn't already). Just because you've given us the whole Milton End totalling about 3000 doesn't mean we need to do the same back. I'd suspect you'd have done the same however stewarding the one stand is far easier if it's all one fanbase. Whereas with ours you'll be in part of the 'horseshoe' the stewarding/policing scenario remains pretty much the same whether you have 1500 or 2500.

Pompey fans have moaned every time they play us that they don't get enough tickets.

I find Pompey fans frustrating, not all of them I am sure as I met some nice ones recently, but they seem to have this "big club" syndrome that some League 2 teams have.

We played Pompey recently and spoke to a couple of their fans about the playoffs. One said that they deserved to be promoted as they take thousand's everywhere they go and couldn't understand why I was laughing. He got a bit niggled when I asked him if they were allowed on the pitch to help them win.

Pompey have an excellent away following, loud and fun to listen to, but that don't mean they deserve promotion any more than the rest and it must bug them that a team like Accrington and maybe ourselves finishing in the playoffs on probably 60% of their playing budget.

Like I say not all of them but a few I have met like that.

WAP

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth and Sporting Leyland

We only had to give you 1800-1900 as the current FP capacity is reduced for health and safety reasons (uneven steps etc). As our away end only has two entrances at either end once an away team takes more than half of the Ends capacity (1400 ish) than they have to be given both entrances/food counter/toilets so we wouldn't be able to sell any more to Pompey fans. So comes down to do we give the remaining 1000 empty seats to Plymouth to sell and generate some more revenue or leave the rest of the end empty. Personally I'd have given them the minumum requirement of 1800 and left the rest empty. Got a feeling the playoff semi ticket sales get shared between the 4 clubs anyways.

We do have a small minority of fans who do think we are too big for League 2, think we should be promoted because we have twice as many fans as anyone else but I think most clubs would if they were in a similar situation of being 2 leagues below their natural level.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
We only had to give you 1800-1900 as the current FP capacity is reduced for health and safety reasons (uneven steps etc). As our away end only has two entrances at either end once an away team takes more than half of the Ends capacity (1400 ish) than they have to be given both entrances/food counter/toilets so we wouldn't be able to sell any more to Pompey fans. So comes down to do we give the remaining 1000 empty seats to Plymouth to sell and generate some more revenue or leave the rest of the end empty. Personally I'd have given them the minumum requirement of 1800 and left the rest empty. Got a feeling the playoff semi ticket sales get shared between the 4 clubs anyways.

We do have a small minority of fans who do think we are too big for League 2, think we should be promoted because we have twice as many fans as anyone else but I think most clubs would if they were in a similar situation of being 2 leagues below their natural level.

Yeah I think if I were you I'd have given us the minimum, you're correct in saying it gets split between the 4 clubs so say you'd given us 1000 less at average £20 a ticket, you're only missing out on £5,000 max after it's split. Probably worth taking the hit.

Reactions: WAP

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon

To be fair and I mean this respectfully, what is your natural level?

Yes you have a good fan base but their are so many teams dropping down the leagues because they are so badly run that Pompey are not alone in having a big support in a low division.

Look at League 1 next season with Charlton and Bolton coming down and Blackpool and Doncaster dropping into league 2.

If a club can't manage their budget accordingly then they deserve to be in a lower division. Look at what Burton have done this season.

WAP

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth and Sporting Leyland
To be fair and I mean this respectfully, what is your natural level?

Yes you have a good fan base but their are so many teams dropping down the leagues because they are so badly run that Pompey are not alone in having a big support in a low division.

Look at League 1 next season with Charlton and Bolton coming down and Blackpool and Doncaster dropping into league 2.

If a club can't manage their budget accordingly then they deserve to be in a lower division. Look at what Burton have done this season.

I'd say our natural level is an average Championship team, we're slowly but surely making progress on and off the pitch and I expect us to be back in the Championship within 3-4 years. I think we could sustain a Premiership team in the long run with a new stadium or Fratton Park being expanded.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Looks that way!

Out of interest, who do people fancy in the playoffs?

I've got an acca on Shef Weds, Bradford, Argyle and then FA Cup Utd and Champs League Real Madrid! It's a long shot I know.

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
So, Wembley will be full at one end and half empty the other?
Really make me laugh when people make references to crowds.

Never realised the size of your crowd determined where you should play or what league.

Since we have been in the Conference and League 2, I have see so many so called "big clubs" who have average teams and their fans still think they should wipe the floor with us.

Luton were one, Bradford another and I could go on and on.

I am more than confident that my team will progress up to at least League 1 until we get a new ground in Wimbledon and bypass the so called "big clubs" on the way up.

We run our club well and only spend money we have. The problem with big clubs is that their fan base want them to spend and spend above their means and unless they reach the premiership in 3-5 years they normally end up in serious trouble.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'd say our natural level is an average Championship team, we're slowly but surely making progress on and off the pitch and I expect us to be back in the Championship within 3-4 years. I think we could sustain a Premiership team in the long run with a new stadium or Fratton Park being expanded.

I'm not a huge believer in 'natural levels' to be honest, historical levels maybe. Mainly because it suggests you're unfairly at a lower level than you should be. You lot are in L2 because of gross mismanagement in the late 2000s, just as we ended up in the Conference due to gross mismanagement both on and off the pitch. Likewise, Burton for example are being run very well, hence their place in the Championship.

I think you'll succeed on the pitch now you've had the fans takeover etc. and it seems to be starting already. But I don't think crowd sizes matter when you're not using the revenue wisely and racking up debt (we've been there ourselves).

Wiinotfit

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@bestie82
Looks that way!

Out of interest, who do people fancy in the playoffs?

I've got an acca on Shef Weds, Bradford, Argyle and then FA Cup Utd and Champs League Real Madrid! It's a long shot I know.

What odds did you get on that?

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Interesting comment, so Wimbledon don't have a passing game?

Don't be fooled by the way we play at home on the cabbage patch!

In all seriousness Pompey look a decent team but I see their problem being that they have such a huge expectation on their shoulders and I don't think Paul Cook knows his best team.

IF we reach the playoffs and Pompey reach it also, I think our manager has the easiest team talk ever.

Sorry but I can only go by what I've seen of you this season (admittedly little) and you were dire at Fratton Park and not that much better at Kingsmeadow. If you can play some good football I still doubt that your players would be as good as ours are at it, hence why I would back us to beat you at Wembley.

Cook knows his best team and we play better against the better sides. It's our stupid knack of conceding late goals and a poor record against the bottom teams in this division (due to either them coming to Fratton to play for a draw and we couldn't break them down or our own complacency) which have cost us automatic promotion.

And in all fairness we're not just down here due to rank bad management. (Alleged) criminal activity has certainly played its part, too. I wish I could find my old thread on TFF about our demise and how it came to be. Notts County and Leyton Orient have got nothing on us.

NorfolkWomble

Reaction score
Supports
Wimbledon
Sorry but I can only go by what I've seen of you this season (admittedly little) and you were dire at Fratton Park and not that much better at Kingsmeadow. If you can play some good football I still doubt that your players would be as good as ours are at it, hence why I would back us to beat you at Wembley.

Cook knows his best team and we play better against the better sides. It's our stupid knack of conceding late goals and a poor record against the bottom teams in this division (due to either them coming to Fratton to play for a draw and we couldn't break them down or our own complacency) which have cost us automatic promotion.

And in all fairness we're not just down here due to rank bad management. (Alleged) criminal activity has certainly played its part, too. I wish I could find my old thread on TFF about our demise and how it came to be. Notts County and Leyton Orient have got nothing on us.

You were just as bad in a 0-0 draw. I think we looked more dangerous if I can remember right.

StuartD

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon

We were poor at KM but it took a debatable foul on our player for you to break and score. That is the only goal in the two games against each other.

You prove my theory about big club syndrome with your comment about you are sure your players are better than ours. You finished 3 points above us so with your theory Plymouth must have better players than you and you wont be going to Wembley?

We had many teams coming to our place defending in numbers and we finally found a way to beat them, which was not pretty and was long ball to our 2-3 forwards. Away from home we have been miles better and played on better pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!