Relegation Thread 2017/18

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I cried with laughter for a week when Oxford got relegated.

Didn't cry. I was more worried about my club surviving, and ultimately us going down set us onto the road of getting rid of the chairman and coming back stronger, which we have.

However, my aunt died 2 weeks before we were relegated, and the relegation hurt a lot more!

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Just the one relegation for me. I started supporting us the year after we got relegated to the Conference - So at least I missed the most painful one, and at least I've seen us play football at our worst, and it can't get much worse. To be honest, I actually miss the conference days. I loved travelling around to tinpot awful grounds, getting soaked, eating an over expensive pie and losing 2-0 to a village side most clubs have never heard of. There was just something about it. All of your friends you're with, it's all the die hard vocal supporters, it's the true fans. Rather than a trip to the Valley in League one with 1,500+ others who've only come to see us on a big day out and struggle to even name half the squad.

The relegation I witnessed from league one to league two may have been slightly easier to take if it wasn't my first time witnessing us get relegated after only enjoying promotions up until then, and if I wasn't 7 and a half hours away from home...Watching us playing Carlisle. That was the longest journey home of my life. Literally.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
To keep the nostalgia rolling........................

Relegation to Div 4 in 1970 was a blow but a return to Barrow AFC's natural level.

After finishing well above Stockport and Crewe, level on points with Northampton and only a win away from 18th, failure to get re-election at the end of the 1971-72 season was a sickener. An hour's twisty drive from the M6 (in those days), Ronnie Radford's goal against Newcastle and Barrow Happy Faces (later Barrow Bombers) speedway were all nails in the coffin.

However, by then I'd discovered sex, drugs and rock&roll in the sinful south (Reading Uni). It was more than 3 decades before even saw Barrow (or any other team) play again (apart from on the telly).

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Our relegation in 2010 was painful because of the way it came around. With 3 games left we were 7 points from safety and I think 99% of our fans had accepted relegation and prepared for it.
But then we won our next 2 and Barnet lost their next 2 and suddenly there was hope, we just had to win at mid table Burton and Barnet were playing Champions Rochdale so as long as we won and they didn't we'd be safe and I don't think there were many, if any, Town fans who didn't think we'd stay up with that scenario.
The scenes that followed at full time at Burton were just disgraceful and I was embarrassed to be a GTFC supporter that day.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
It really shouldn't be the most difficult league to win though, especially for the bigger clubs that end up there with the fan base that they have and the ability to attract the best players!

I guess the problem tends to be that those bigger clubs that end up there is 9 times out of 10 a result of mismanagement at boardroom level creating that negativity all the way through the club (Something that our fans can relate to atm!!) , and just ends up creating a vicious cycle that so many clubs don't seem to be able to get out of... how long have Wrexham been down there now :doh:then there's your Stockports and Hereford's, can't see either of those clubs playing at this level for a long time now! Some clubs get it right though at the first attempt, look at Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham, albeit they are the only two that spring to mind!

God that is depressing, praying with everything I've got that we get out of this situation quickly:conf:
You're right, it shouldn't. But it is.

Even if you're not mismanaged before relegation, it messes with your finances unless you have someone prepared to put in a good £500k-£750k a year initially, although parachute payments are now worth more than they were when we were relegated. I think Hartlepool and Orient might have got the new payments.

It's also not as easy as just attracting the best players. There are plenty of PT players who are good enough for FT but choose not to because of day jobs. Often they'll get paid more working and being PT than being a FT footballer. It's effectively the best PT players vs the worst FT players (in most cases).

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Even if you're not mismanaged before relegation, it messes with your finances unless you have someone prepared to put in a good £500k-£750k a year initially, although parachute payments are now worth more than they were when we were relegated. I think Hartlepool and Orient might have got the new payments.

It's also not as easy as just attracting the best players. There are plenty of PT players who are good enough for FT but choose not to because of day jobs. Often they'll get paid more working and being PT than being a FT footballer. It's effectively the best PT players vs the worst FT players (in most cases).

The issue with it I guess is that you have a lot of bigger clubs there for only 2 spaces and you have a lot of small clubs with lots of money now... imaging Salford assuming they see it through will be one of the favourites next year for example, Fylde have money I believe so its going to be difficult if we go down to come back up of that I have no doubt. Other then Bristol Rovers the only quick bounce backs I recall are two of the smaller clubs to go down to non league in Cheltenham Town and Barnet. Luton took years, as did Oxford, Grimsby, Lincoln.. Wrexham still down there, Tranmere arguably the biggest to go down there aren't doing that well either.

I am deeply worried about going down, if I thought "meh we will smash it and be back in a year" id be less bothered about the experience of new grounds etc.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
It looks horrific down there now. When we were down there we at least had games against Wrexham, Cambridge, York, Darlington, Grimsby, Lincoln, Stockport, Kidderminster. All ex league sides. It’s the games against Grays Athletic and Lewes that did it for me where instead of opening the away end we put them in the end block of the West stand when they had about 25 fans. That soon stopped when someone threw a drumstick at a Crawley fan though :lol:

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Didn't cry. I was more worried about my club surviving, and ultimately us going down set us onto the road of getting rid of the chairman and coming back stronger, which we have.

However, my aunt died 2 weeks before we were relegated, and the relegation hurt a lot more!

You callous so and so.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Cheltenham Town and Barnet. Luton took years, as did Oxford, Grimsby, Lincoln.. Wrexham still down there, Tranmere arguably the biggest to go down there aren't doing that well either.
I wouldn't say Tranmere are the biggest of that lot, both Oxford and Luton are bigger clubs in my opinion.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Completely agree - when we were promoted in 1999, two of our players rejected going full-time because of their jobs. I have no doubt that Jason Eaton would have made it in the Football League, but we couldn't pay him nearly enough to convince him to quit his job.

I also agree about how difficult it is to win the Conference, it's easy for me to say relegation was ok because we got promoted, but we rode our luck in a lot of games. In at least 5 we scored goals in the last 5 mins to win or rescue a point, in at least 3 there were injury time goals, and in a few we had to score more than one to turn games around (Dover away for example). Until we beat Grimsby at home I kept expecting us to be caught and fail in the playoffs, and with there being only one automatic spot - something I am a supporter of by the way - the tension never goes until it's mathematically confirmed.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
And Bristol Rovers

Well rovers lost their last game of the season to us 1-0. They spent 10 minutes of the season (or so) in the bottom 2. It just happened to be the last 10 minutes of the season.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I wouldn't say Tranmere are the biggest of that lot, both Oxford and Luton are bigger clubs in my opinion.

Oxford are the biggest club to have ever been down in the conference. We were relatively small fry when we were down there. This seems to be the first season where it seems to have reverted back to like a "classic" conference without being duped by a club spending millions.

Macclesfield would be a nice re-addition to the league. Though they'll always be the 2nd MTFC

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Luke’s post hits the nail on the head - the quality of full time players in the Conference is on the whole not much better than the part timers down there. Then these clubs play with every ounce of energy whenever they see a chance of a scalp - if your talent-limited pros don’t put the effort in, you just get beat.

I can remember countless defeats to crap sides down there because we just didn’t have the nous to figure out how to beat them with our team of no hopers. Alfreton, Bath, Northwick Victoria, Histon, Grays, Barrow, Hayes & Yeading, Canvey Island, Farsley Celtic, Hyde are all sides we played and I can remember us losing to a fair number of them.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Luke’s post hits the nail on the head - the quality of full time players in the Conference is on the whole not much better than the part timers down there. Then these clubs play with every ounce of energy whenever they see a chance of a scalp - if your talent-limited pros don’t put the effort in, you just get beat.

I can remember countless defeats to crap sides down there because we just didn’t have the nous to figure out how to beat them with our team of no hopers. Alfreton, Bath, Northwick Victoria, Histon, Grays, Barrow, Hayes & Yeading, Canvey Island, Farsley Celtic, Hyde are all sides we played and I can remember us losing to a fair number of them.

Losing at home to Alfreton on Boxing Day.

Shudders

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Oxford are the biggest club to have ever been down in the conference. We were relatively small fry when we were down there. This seems to be the first season where it seems to have reverted back to like a "classic" conference without being duped by a club spending millions.

Macclesfield would be a nice re-addition to the league. Though they'll always be the 2nd MTFC
Surely Luton are a bigger club than Oxford?

16 years in the top flight and both have league cup wins... Luton larger crowds too.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Surely Luton are a bigger club than Oxford?

16 years in the top flight and both have league cup wins... Luton larger crowds too.
That and Luton fans should louder about it.

LondonOrn

Reaction score
Supports
Watford

What on earth has happened to them BTW? They were flying in the Conference not so long ago, beating Leeds in the FA Cup, then last season suffered their fourth relegation this decade back into the Eastern Counties League - that's the equivalent of Ipswich (who were 5th in the Premiership this millennium) getting relegated to the Conference. Some said at the time they were vastly over-achieving and would eventually return to their traditional level, but I didn't think it would happen so quickly.

#Beebot

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet, Maidenhead
What on earth has happened to them BTW? They were flying in the Conference not so long ago, beating Leeds in the FA Cup, then last season suffered their fourth relegation this decade back into the Eastern Counties League - that's the equivalent of Ipswich (who were 5th in the Premiership this millennium) getting relegated to the Conference. Some said at the time they were vastly over-achieving and would eventually return to their traditional level, but I didn't think it would happen so quickly.

They stopped being bankrolled, though like you I'm surprised they have fallen that far.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan

:£:£:£was actually all fantasy. Luckily the ground is safe in trust.

....but City have just agreed a 3 year deal to play there on their way to their new ground at Sawston................................which might complicate any ideas we had to ground share there whilst rebuilding the NRE and the Habbin. Then again, 2021/2022 and beyond might fit.fine based on our recent rate of progress.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
I didn't cry when we got relegated in 2010 but I was distraught and speechless for many hours afterwards. I did cry when we came back up though as it was the first ounce of success I've witnessed at the club since my first game in 2001. I fear for Fenty if we go down again as the entire fan base will be nothing but angry and not only demand answers but action as well. The entire board will be ripped down one way or another and I worry where that will leave us. I've suggested before that we wouldn't survive if we went down again, especially so soon and I'm praying we stay up just so we don't have to find out if it's true.

I expected us to get smashed by Lincoln and Coventry. We didn't disappoint. I have also expected us to respond and finally get a win against Stevenage. I can't begin to state how important this game is, just as much as the Chesterfield and Barnet games because if we keep losing, even if we beat them chances are they're above us by then anyway. We NEED to beat Stevenage to give us any sort of control and stay in touching distance. If we lose then I think that's it once and for all. I think we can do it. Jolley's selections are getting a bit better each week. He'll find our strongest team soon and then we can only pray it's good enough.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I'm not saying it will be easy but Grimsby have got a great chance to finally get three points in a footy match. While it's a fact that I have got no idea on how poor Grimsby are playing right now, it's also a fact that Boro don't have a great away record, and that's why I don't agree with Paul Haddock when he says it's irrelevant whether his lot are at home or away.

Again, I reiterate that I don't expect an easy home win but Boro's poor away form deffo makes a difference. Just the four away wins - three of which were back in August and Sept - before going on a long winless away run until they beat Chesterfield 1-0 in January. Only problem I see is that Boro've got a new manager and he won't be looking at a second defeat in a row.

Anything less than a draw in this game and Grimsby deserve to go down.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Just the one relegation for me. I started supporting us the year after we got relegated to the Conference - So at least I missed the most painful one, and at least I've seen us play football at our worst, and it can't get much worse. To be honest, I actually miss the conference days. I loved travelling around to tinpot awful grounds, getting soaked, eating an over expensive pie and losing 2-0 to a village side most clubs have never heard of. There was just something about it. All of your friends you're with, it's all the die hard vocal supporters, it's the true fans. Rather than a trip to the Valley in League one with 1,500+ others who've only come to see us on a big day out and struggle to even name half the squad.

The relegation I witnessed from league one to league two may have been slightly easier to take if it wasn't my first time witnessing us get relegated after only enjoying promotions up until then, and if I wasn't 7 and a half hours away from home...Watching us playing Carlisle. That was the longest journey home of my life. Literally.

I'm not nostalgic about the Conference at all. It was awful being out of the FL, the lack of exposure and general standard of football was awful. I spent the whole five years being desperate to get back.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln

Oxford biggest club ever down there pfftt Bristol Rovers & Luton bigger. Ridiculous statement.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
I'm not nostalgic about the Conference at all. It was awful being out of the FL, the lack of exposure and general standard of football was awful. I spent the whole five years being desperate to get back.
I probably don't have the same feeling as I never experienced FL football beforehand. As mentioned, it was my first season supporting us in our first year in the Conference. So I didn't know what I was missing. But I did love going to the random tinpot grounds.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Whats this FA Trophy like?

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
It takes priority over league games, which tells you everything.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I bet that will be interesting, some random field somewhere... recall Grimsby playing locally to me at Coalville. The town put up loads of signposts for it and allsorts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny69
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
ALWLT