Rivals in this league

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I would say our only bona fide rivalry, based on geography, size of club, and antagonism at historic fixtures, is with Wrexham. I dread the prospect of them arriving in this division and usurping us to be honest.

We have other rivalries with Bolton and Oldham, the former more toxic than the latter. Oldham actually don't bother me in the slightest.

We had a big rivalry with Chester in the past, but they are too small to be any threat to us these days.

Reactions: Boz

Huntsman94

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
As in relation to the topic, Wrexham and Chester are our two mains ones. Bolton follows just behind and then I’d say Forest Green. Always a lot of animosity based on the recent rivalry between the two sides.

Games against the likes of Rochdale and Oldham will always have a good atmosphere but I think there’s mutual respect between all 3 regardless.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Our rivals were Workington, Lancaster and more recently Fylde, but they've all gone the other way - only Morecambe are above us.

We've got some kind of rivalry with Carlisle that only really has been whipped up by Radio Cumbria into being a thing ("they get more coverage than us!" and vice versa), but they're the best part of an hour and a half away, and nobody really cares. Harrogate will probably be who we're always judged against because they got promoted alongside us. When Morecambe get relegated again, I suppose that one will reignite over time.
The words Carlisle Barrow and rivalry had never even entered my head until I went there for a preseason friendly about 5 years ago. It’s the only time I’ve ever seen trouble at an away preseason friendly with such a low crowd. A bunch of barrow (young barrow it has to be said) waited outside the away end to walk with us up the road to the station telling us how they are going to kick 7 shades of shit out of us. They had a song about us, I can’t remember the words but it had our name, morecambe and some others. A couple of them did take a pop at some, but mostly all threats and nothing to back it up. It was a weird unexpected experience as like I say I’d never even considered that there might be needle in that fixture.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens when we play each other competitively in front of fans.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I think the majority of people's issues with FGR stems from Vince. From the financial doping of 5-10 years ago, to the alleged "forcing you to eat a vegan diet", which is BS of course.

Fans, by and large, don't like outspoken chairmen/owners of other clubs. Look at the grief the Bradford bloke gets for being a loudmouth. Then when you consider what some of the shite Vince has come out with, even if it has been taken out of context, then you can see why he's so unlikeable.

I don’t have any problems with sides like forest green and salford, it’s good for their fans to have an adventure.

Eventually the backer will get bored and they’ll sink back into the obscurity they came from.

Can’t say i’ve ever had a real reason to dislike FG though, though i found it enjoyable that our chairman made sure every dish was a meat dish when vince turned up haha.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
The words Carlisle Barrow and rivalry had never even entered my head until I went there for a preseason friendly about 5 years ago. It’s the only time I’ve ever seen trouble at an away preseason friendly with such a low crowd. A bunch of barrow (young barrow it has to be said) waited outside the away end to walk with us up the road to the station telling us how they are going to kick 7 shades of shit out of us. They had a song about us, I can’t remember the words but it had our name, morecambe and some others. A couple of them did take a pop at some, but mostly all threats and nothing to back it up. It was a weird unexpected experience as like I say I’d never even considered that there might be needle in that fixture.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens when we play each other competitively in front of fans.

I remember us playing alfreton for a few seasons in the conference and it was like massive to them.

I’m sure that the carlisle barrow “derby” is only 1 way, surely the carlisle fans with respect wouldn’t give the slightest fuck about barrow?

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I don’t think Tranmere have had a true rivalry since the long defunct New Brighton F.C. Even then that wasn’t as passionate as say Chester v Wrexham, Burnley v Blackburn or Preston v Blackpool etc!

Reactions: Boz

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Hate is a tad OTT. The seed was planted 05/06 when we were in the top 3 all season until the last match and you ghosted into the playoffs and beat us at Wembley. That was a fair, but bitter pill to swallow. The Danny Wright stamp is what did it though, at least a few of you on here and the man himself not only defended that but revelled in it. Harry Pell thrown into the mix didn't help things either.
I think ghosted is a bit harsh, we were in the playoffs for long periods of the season.

The stamp was hilarious. Not for the stamp itself, I don't think a single Cheltenham fan thought he didn't get away with it in the game and that the 3 game ban wasn't warranted, but the reaction from Grimsby fans on here. He stepped down on McKeown, but some were making out he'd stamped down like Cantona did to Fjortoft in the 93/94 season. Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I'd genuinely have feared for McKeown's life. Instead, he jumped up immediately and chased after Wright.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Gassy -- There is only one rival for us and you no its not Swindon.
Only one true rival, but I do believe Swindon are also a rival - just of lesser stance.

Otherwise there wouldn’t be fights and early kick offs each time, surely?

Salvador

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
I do find long-distance rivalries fascinating.

Grimsby seem, or at least seemed, to hate us for some reason. Then there's Col-U and Wycombe, along with Swindon and Gillingham
I find that odd as well.

A lot of our fans still hold a grudge for Notts County. Their Munto Finance, Sven and Sol Campbell stuff apparently cheated us out of the title in 2009/10.

That and us letting a 14 point lead slip. Not winning for seemingly weeks in the run in.

Oh, and also finishing behind Bournemouth. But no hatred for them. Only Notts.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
It’s nice to see masi’s spelling hasn’t improved over the summer!

I must admit it is a funny way to spend your day, constantly typing Bolton in the search bar.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I find that odd as well.

A lot of our fans still hold a grudge for Notts County. Their Munto Finance, Sven and Sol Campbell stuff apparently cheated us out of the title in 2009/10.

That and us letting a 14 point lead slip. Not winning for seemingly weeks in the run in.

Surely that’s more your fuck up? (obviously i know you’re being ironic in the post)

We were about 10 points clear of 4th place under flitcroft in february and fucked it up meaning we had a last game showdown with MK dons, which we lost.

I don’t hate MK because of that, we fucked it up ourselves

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I think ghosted is a bit harsh, we were in the playoffs for long periods of the season.

The stamp was hilarious. Not for the stamp itself, I don't think a single Cheltenham fan thought he didn't get away with it in the game and that the 3 game ban wasn't warranted, but the reaction from Grimsby fans on here. He stepped down on McKeown, but some were making out he'd stamped down like Cantona did to Fjortoft in the 93/94 season. Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I'd genuinely have feared for McKeown's life. Instead, he jumped up immediately and chased after Wright.
It was definitely more of a stamp than a step and he went out of his way to do it. And one of your other players got up in McKeown's face celebrating as he was on the floor. Fair enough if you do that to a local rival and you find it funny, but to do it against a team you don't really have any kind of beef with and find it hilarious seems a bit classless.

Last edited:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I find that odd as well.

A fair few Vale fans held a grudge towards Hartlepool and Swindon for quite a while after they had a 1-1 draw on the last day of the 03/04 season meaning they both made the L1 playoffs and we missed out. A few suspected something nefarious went on there (no real evidence of that) but that never took into account that season we blew a 3-0 lead at home to Swindon a couple of weeks before and also we let Hartlepool stick five past us at VP.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Who was it that Morecambe and Coventry swindled, was it Barnet?

I wonder if they have the same animosity to those two teams

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
We haven’t played Reading for ages. I’d like that one again, tbh. In order, Oxford, Reading, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers.

Personal dislikes, for reasons I’ve probably forgotten, Watford, Shrewsbury, Posh. Equally, I’ve got a lot of time for Vale, Bradford and Ipswich.
No surprise you like vale considering it's a guaranteed win for Swindon the majority of the time.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds

Those kids came for about six months, trying to start fights every match. Then some of them chucked some stones at a York supporters bus and presumably they got cautioned by the police as they've never been back since. Think they had a run in with the children of Wrexham too, so maybe they got battered. Couldn't care less.

No, as I say, it seems to only be Radio Cumbria who try to make something out of the rivalry - most people in Barrow won't have ever been to Carlisle, and fewer still in Carlisle would have cause to go to Barrow. I think many Barrow fans probably see us as being on a level with Carlisle now, which seems to wind up some grown men on Twitter a bit...

MadJohn

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Twitter
@ITMCHufc
A fair few Vale fans held a grudge towards Hartlepool and Swindon for quite a while after they had a 1-1 draw on the last day of the 03/04 season meaning they both made the L1 playoffs and we missed out. A few suspected something nefarious went on there (no real evidence of that) but that never took into account that season we blew a 3-0 lead at home to Swindon a couple of weeks before and also we let Hartlepool stick five past us at VP.
Haha, I remember that Swindon game well. We conceded very early and then got word that Vale were leading (at Rushden?). We trailed for over an hour and it was horrible. The explosion of joy and relief when Adam Boyd headed us level was incredible, the sort of high we go to games for. The next ten minutes or so were edgy. We knew Vale were still ahead, and that the next mistake for either side would prove costly. The closer we got to the end the more reluctant both sides became to take a risk, and the game did somewhat fizzle out in the last ten.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Haha, I remember that Swindon game well. We conceded very early and then got word that Vale were leading (at Rushden?). We trailed for over an hour and it was horrible. The explosion of joy and relief when Adam Boyd headed us level was incredible, the sort of high we go to games for. The next ten minutes or so were edgy. We knew Vale were still ahead, and that the next mistake for either side would prove costly. The closer we got to the end the more reluctant both sides became to take a risk, and the game did somewhat fizzle out in the last ten.

Yep I was there for that, what a feeling that was. Up there with one of the best away days ever for me but nowt beats the Peterborough 4-3

MadJohn

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Twitter
@ITMCHufc
Vale fans probably enjoyed our playoff defeat, but that one hurt, and left a bad taste regarding Bristol City. With two minutes to go in the second leg at Ashton Gate we led 2-1 on aggregate but had lost two key defenders to injury. We ended the game hanging on with Mark Tinkler at centre half and Darrell Clarke at right back. City equalised in the last minute and won it stoppage time. We didn't even get extra time.

In the resulting pitch invasion a large number of City fans were far more interested in taunting our fans and players than celebrating their win. Our beaten and gutted players were trying to thank us and then get off (we were in the South Stand; the players tunnel was at the opposite end near the Atyeo). They were jeered, jostled, and on at least one occasion spat at. It was a horrible few minutes.

So, there was that

And Vale fans got to witness our relegation in 2006 as well. So there was that too

I look forward to my next Vale Park trip though it will be odd to see so many ex Poolies representing an opponent that isn't Darlo (Dan Jones, Ryan Johnson, Lewis Cass, Brad Walker, Devante Rodney, and of course Darrell Clarke)

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Remember that beef well, although a totally one-sided one. The 5-2 at Vale Park was a classic, I'll add that to one of my best aways as well.

MadJohn

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Twitter
@ITMCHufc
Yep I was there for that, what a feeling that was. Up there with one of the best away days ever for me but nowt beats the Peterborough 4-3
Peterborough was one for the ages. One of the most enjoyable and hottest games I'll see in my life.

I think I saw us concede three in three consecutive trips to London Road... and we won two of them!

MadJohn

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Twitter
@ITMCHufc
Remember that beef well, although a totally one-sided one. The 5-2 at Vale Park was a classic, I'll add that to one of my best aways as well.
I bottled it. Set off to drive there but abandoned the trip quite early, certain that it would be called off.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
I bottled it. Set off to drive there but abandoned the trip quite early, certain that it would be called off.

The weather was diabolical but I was a student in Manchester at the time so I didn't care if I'd got there and it was off. Just enjoy the many delights of Burslem instead

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

Yep it was Rushden, think we won 2-0 in the end in what ultimately ended up being Steve McPhees final game for us (then left on a free off the back of a 27 goal season which also didn't help). The worst thing I remember from that day with about 5 minutes to go it somehow got round there'd been a third goal in your game which turned out to be false so that went from elation to disappointment very quickly.

Completely one sided. It was some mighty fine tinfoil hat stuff going on though. I think that game it was bloody freezing and was in doubt if the game would go ahead and yeah you absolutely annihilated us. Only ever seen Plymouth manhandle us at VP like that other than that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yellowman
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!