Saturday 1st October 2022

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
And that is admirable and something many clubs should aspire to be like. We have a higher budget cos our income allows it to be like that, I can't apologise for my club having a larger fanbase etc
Not saying you should just stating the difference between us and the bigger clubs and why we don’t expect to turn up and roll those teams over or expect to beat them.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Not saying you should just stating the difference between us and the bigger clubs and why we don’t expect to turn up and roll those teams over or expect to beat them.
These posts aren't aimed at you really pal, you and most other Vale posters are reasonable.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Not looking forward to the visit of Bolton next week...it could be embarassing if they are on top of their game.
We were very good in spells today. A slightly better final ball and we could have had 4/5. They offered a bit on the break and gifted us both goals but we really seem to be improving week on week. We are so much better than last season where around this time we had to play Nathan Delfouneso in central midfield due to a covid and injury crisis, we lost Sarcevic to Stockport and still had an aging Eoin Doyle up front. Biggest difference since January is our defensive improvement - when we switched from back 4 to back 3/5. Best defence in the league so far this season. Just need to start taking our chances and someone will be on the end of a hiding.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Just seen the goal. It's a heck of a strike and further out than it looked live. I bet he couldn't do that again in 100 attempts. Might have taken a big deflection though;-)

I'm not trying to be facetious. I think what got my goat was the talk pre season about how much better the bigger clubs are. Yes, the bigger budgets will ultimately come out on top, but the standard is still shite. I happen to like Sheffield Wednesday as a club and have fond memories of my trips to Hillsborough.

As Clarke said in his interview, we're not that far away from beating the bigger boys...a bit more tweaking needed and I'm sure in 2 to 3 years we'll be competing at the top half of this league.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Just seen the goal. It's a heck of a strike and further out than it looked live. I bet he couldn't do that again in 100 attempts. Might have taken a big deflection though;-)

I'm not trying to be facetious. I think what got my goat was the talk pre season about how much better the bigger clubs are. Yes, the bigger budgets will ultimately come out on top, but the standard is still shite. I happen to like Sheffield Wednesday as a club and have fond memories of my trips to Hillsborough.

As Clarke said in his interview, we're not that far away from beating the bigger boys...a bit more tweaking needed and I'm sure in 2 to 3 years we'll be competing at the top half of this league.
Reading are 3rd in the league above, the standard seems to be shite at every level. Judging us on that game and pitch is a disservice to both clubs.

Oh and James Wilson was fucking anonymous.

Forrester was superb though, Massey, fluke cross aside was wasteful too

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Frantic game today but had a really good feel about it. Both teams tried to win it, but I think a draw was about right.

We will feel more disappointed after conceding so late, but I enjoyed the game overall. Jevani will be kicking himself for not finishing his chance to make it 3-1 late on and then, uncharacteristically losing possession in the buildup to the equaliser.

Great to see SJP sold out and hopefully we can do that many more times this season.

Shame it looks like it’s Taylor’s last game and our next move is crucial.
Anyone you’d particularly want? Rob Edwards might be tempted back down this way, although he may fancy a club with more resources

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Reading are 3rd in the league above, the standard seems to be shite at every level. Judging us on that game and pitch is a disservice to both clubs.

Oh and James Wilson was fucking anonymous.

Forrester was superb though, Massey, fluke cross aside was wasteful too
I thought Wilson did ok first half. Wednesday did very well to crowd him out at times but he still managed to show flashes. Agree about Forrester, I think he'll play higher.

Been disappointed with Massey if I'm honest. He played 40 games for promoted Wigan last season, so I hoped for better. He wasn't fit when he arrived for several weeks, which is inexcusable for a pro looking for a new contract. Where we lack is that real creative midfielder who can run past people and spot passes, so a lot of our play is in front of the opposition.

I'm amazed that our pitch was so poor at the beginning of October. It was absolutely sodden at the beginning of the game, which seems a strange decision.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I thought Wilson did ok first half. Wednesday did very well to crowd him out at times but he still managed to show flashes. Agree about Forrester, I think he'll play higher.

Been disappointed with Massey if I'm honest. He played 40 games for promoted Wigan last season, so I hoped for better. He wasn't fit when he arrived for several weeks, which is inexcusable for a pro looking for a new contract. Where we lack is that real creative midfielder who can run past people and spot passes, so a lot of our play is in front of the opposition.

I'm amazed that our pitch was so poor at the beginning of October. It was absolutely sodden at the beginning of the game, which seems a strange decision.
Massey played 40 times but I doubt he started often last season for Wigan, he's fast but lacks a footballers brain, hence being at this level.

Wilson didn't get much change out of our back three who always have a rick in em.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Honestly I’ve not seen any of todays game but I truly hope we got the early goal and absolutely shithoused them for the next 85 minutes,

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Frantic game today but had a really good feel about it. Both teams tried to win it, but I think a draw was about right.

We will feel more disappointed after conceding so late, but I enjoyed the game overall. Jevani will be kicking himself for not finishing his chance to make it 3-1 late on and then, uncharacteristically losing possession in the buildup to the equaliser.

Great to see SJP sold out and hopefully we can do that many more times this season.

Shame it looks like it’s Taylor’s last game and our next move is crucial.
Really odd feeling tbh. We gifted you both goals under absolutely no pressure, yet somehow feeling happy with a point.

Before the game I’d definitely have taken a point, but I’m surprised you weren’t as good as I had expected you to be. Was it an off day? We were definitely better than our recent games, hopefully this wasn’t a one off and we’re finally improving.

Overall I think a draw was probably about fair, yet somehow I’m both delighted and devastated with a point.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Massey played 40 times but I doubt he started often last season for Wigan, he's fast but lacks a footballers brain, hence being at this level.

Wilson didn't get much change out of our back three who always have a rick in em.
Willo isn’t fully fit yet, he usually takes a few games to get up to speed. Didn’t really get the service mind.

Massey was the wrong choice for me today, should have started Worrall who’s got a far better delivery.

Forrester is an interesting one as he quit Stoke to join us after breaking through into their first team last season. (Not sure if it was Andy Carroll he pocketed on his debut or something). He’s only come back in today after a few games out the side but was quality today, how he didn’t get our man of the match over our keeper who made one save was baffling.

Thought DJ was decent again today as well but we had to take him off with that referee on a booking and the way the Wednesday lad was trying to get him and Conlon off.

Apparently the pitch (which was fine two weeks ago) has been worked on and should be back in good condition for the FGR game. Something about putting sand under it.

We’ve just lost our groundsman of 42 years and looks like the new guy has some ideas to improve it, just not ideal to have it like that during a season but with 1 game over 27 days at VP I guess it was the best time they could find.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Willo isn’t fully fit yet, he usually takes a few games to get up to speed. Didn’t really get the service mind.

Massey was the wrong choice for me today, should have started Worrall who’s got a far better delivery.

Forrester is an interesting one as he quit Stoke to join us after breaking through into their first team last season. (Not sure if it was Andy Carroll he pocketed on his debut or something). He’s only come back in today after a few games out the side but was quality today, how he didn’t get our man of the match over our keeper who made one save was baffling.

Thought DJ was decent again today as well but we had to take him off with that referee on a booking and the way the Wednesday lad was trying to get him and Conlon off.

Apparently the pitch (which was fine two weeks ago) has been worked on and should be back in good condition for the FGR game. Something about putting sand under it.

We’ve just lost our groundsman of 42 years and looks like the new guy has some ideas to improve it, just not ideal to have it like that during a season but with 1 game over 27 days at VP I guess it was the best time they could find.
Jones didn't help himself though, was the wrong side on more than on occasion so Clarke had to pull him.

You put a plan together which kept Windass and Smith quiet so far play for that.

Interesting that Clarke said similar to me about the 2nd half, it may not be eye catching to some but sometimes you have to grind out 3pts, last season we don't win that game.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Jones didn't help himself though, was the wrong side on more than on occasion so Clarke had to pull him.

You put a plan together which kept Windass and Smith quiet so far play for that.

Interesting that Clarke said similar to me about the 2nd half, it may not be eye catching to some but sometimes you have to grind out 3pts, last season we don't win that game.
Portsmouth did similar and maybe this is what we are learning in our first season back, it’s not all about being blown away by quality it’s about being efficient.

Bolton did it to get a point from us with 10 men.

Shrewsbury tried the same and we got a last minute winner where as you and Portsmouth suffocated us and that’s the difference in wining or not and ultimately what gets the points to get teams up.

We were all loving it last season when Covolan was doing the stuff your keeper was today!

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Honestly I’ve not seen any of todays game but I truly hope we got the early goal and absolutely shithoused them for the next 85 minutes,
Read the Wycombe fans forum, you’ll see evidence of your hope coming true:)

TommoCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Intrigued to know what Derby fans made of Cambridge. Clearly we were just punished by a team that has quality we simply cannot and will not be able to bring into the club, but for large periods it seemed fairly even.

Another pretty “huff and puff” with no real edge performance from us which is slightly annoying, but more frustrated that at the moment it’s genuinely poor defending and abysmal individual errors (see: Zeno Rossi error today) that are costing us.

Unsure if Derby currently fit into the Pompey/Plymouth/Ipswich/Wednesday category but with a few weeks and months under Warne I’m fairly sure they’ll get there.

Dan Phillips

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
What is it Port Vale fans and continually trying to justify there position within this division? After every game all we read is how close the game was and how you guys will be fine this year.

Last time I checked you are here on merit and merit alone, stop being so defensive of your position and try enjoying a game or two

Isn't that the whole fucking idea? What am I meant to post after a game?

We lost. The final score was 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams had some shots. The weather was okay.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Only 1 offside all game by both teams and that came in added time! Not seen a game with that before.
This has been fairly typical of our games this season. Offsides both for and against are rare. We don't tend to play an offside trap, and our strikers tend to come short to pick up the ball as we generally try to get the ball wide rather than play off the last defender's shoulder, so to speak.

I haven't seen any highlights as been away on a city break this weekend, so can't really comment on the pens etc. From the stats it seems Ipswich were fairly dominant and deserved the win. Could have done without our two ex-players combining for the first goal though.

Not too disheartened. This fixture always looked a candidate for our first league defeat of the season and at least we were level with 10 minutes left. We now have a decent run of games to hopefully get back to winning ways. Good luck for the rest of the season!

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Read the Wycombe fans forum, you’ll see evidence of your hope coming true:)
Thanks for pointing me that way - particularly enjoyable.

Great to see another Schumacher tactical switchup. For those interested he’s confirmed post match that he essentially picked the 11 tallest players available and decided to play Wycombe at their own game. Been in his head since the defeat there in April.

Schumacher Interview

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Bolton getting into quite a good position having also played a number of sides expected to be at the top end of the league.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Bolton getting into quite a good position having also played a number of sides expected to be at the top end of the league.
And our performances are improving game on game. Long way to go yet mind and I still think Ipswich are the team to beat this season. Do you think you have the squad depth to push all the way for a whole season this time round? There’s some really good starting 11s in that top 8 but can see a few that may struggle if they get injuries. We had that problem last season but this season we genuinely have at least 2 players for every position where the quality doesn’t really drop when we rotate (other than GK - Trafford is possibly the best gk we’ve had since Jaaskelainen - shame he’s only on loan and our back up is awful).

Last edited:

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
And our performances are improving game on game. Long way to go yet mind and I still think Ipswich are the team to beat this season. Do you think you have the squad depth to push all the way for a whole season this time round? There’s some really good starting 11s in that top 8 but can see a few that may struggle if they get injuries. We had that problem last season but this season we genuinely have at least 2 players for every position where the quality doesn’t really drop when we rotate (other than GK - Trafford is possibly the best gk we’ve had since Jaaskelainen - shame he’s only on loan and our back up is awful).
You can never tell what happens with injuries, suspensions, bizarre reffing etc, but I feel we are a bit stronger in depth than last year. The player I was most excited about, that I felt alone would be the difference, Mikel Miller, has not played a minute since the pre-season. When he comes back from injury…The loans are a definite upgrade and have scored a lot of our goals. Relying on loans is both a strength and a weakness, but I am encouraged. Important to several of our recent come backs has been the ability to bring on very different style of player, which reflects the greater depth. Yesterday we out Wycombed Wycombe, a style we may only play four or five times in a season, and much maligned Sam Cosgrove was the key to this. So, more optimistic than last year, but in the end it’s all fine margins So who knows. I am enjoying the ride.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
I’d say so - our new signings are superior to the ones who left us at the end of last season.

Lonwijk from Wolves is an upgrade on Critchlow who’s now at Bradford.

Butcher suits this formation more than Camara would of.

Mikel Miller although he hasn’t played yet due to injury is a clear upgrade on Ryan Law.

Bali Mumba is an upgrade on Steven Sessengon.

Finn Azaz is an upgrade on Ryan Broom.

Morgan Whittaker is an upgrade on Jordan Garrick.

+ We’ve added Sam Cosgrove who despite coming with shite reviews has given us a different dimension in attack when needed.

Top scorer last season Ryan Hardie has barely had a kick in recent games. We’ve got 6 Centre backs who could all come in to play and you wouldn’t worry about whether they’ll be up to it. Conor Grant who started near enough every game last season has come back from injury and will struggle for a place in the side.

Definitely feels like we’ve upgraded the squad, for example yesterday against Wycombe, we made plenty of changes, changed our style and still won the game. Promising.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
My first post in ages! I went yesterday and pretty much agree with the Ipswich fan.

To go there and not create anything summed us up. Put under a lot of pressure in the first half and got turned over in midfield only to be gifted a penalty to go in undeservedly level.

I though we matched Ipswich in the second half until Ladapo came on, but where was the marking. Again, gifted another penalty to level and at that point I'm thinking we should shut up shop and take the shithoused point. But no, we concede a comical goal straight away and never looked like equalising.

Frustrating, but I expected a defeat. It's the manner of it that annoys me. No player in our team would rate more than 6/10 and we need to be better than that when it comes to going to Barnsley, Plymouth, Bolton and Derby etc.

The good thing is that for the rest of this month our fixtures are all games we should win bar Charlton away on Sky. We've got a real decent opportunity to build another unbeaten run before winter.

White horse

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
What is it Port Vale fans and continually trying to justify there position within this division? After every game all we read is how close the game was and how you guys will be fine this year.

Last time I checked you are here on merit and merit alone, stop being so defensive of your position and try enjoying a game or two

From some of their posts (below) they cannot admit that League 1 is a step up from L2 and there is no gap of quality between the top 8 and the rest but the results so far do not really support or strengthen their argument (look at the current top 8),in fact they completely contradict their argument. Two of the teams who finished in the top 3 last season are in the bottom 3 and Port Vale are not exactly setting the world alight. Don't know why Port Vale fans disagree but of course there is a gap between L1 and L2.

"League 1 is not a country mile better than league 2. It's slightly better in certain areas but in general the standard is still poor.

Anyway, my point isn't about how the promoted teams are doing, it's about the general standard of the division, which was proclaimed as 'too difficult' for some of the smaller teams. It really isn't a great standard.

Even with a team out that would struggle in league 2, we've managed to scrape together 9 points and should have more. I'd say that's an indictment of the quality of the league.

it was intimated that the top 8 clubs in terms of size will be far superior than the rest and there is a huge chasm, which is simply not true.

It was intimated at the start of the season is that the top 8 biggest clubs in terms of historical size would wrap up the top 8 places and then there would be a gap to the rest. My observation so far is that there is not a huge gulf in quality between top and bottom...

interesting half. Wednesday clearly got 2 or 3 good players but equally they've kicked the ball out of play several times and aren't actually that good as a collective which is embarrassing given their budget.

Given we have just come up from League 2 and you are paying players 20 grand a week, I think the margins between the teams were negligible.

My point still stands that there is very little difference in quality throughout the league. I stand by what I said, Wednesday should be head and shoulders above us but they weren't today.

Bolton H - drew 0-0.Portsmouth H - lost 0-1.Wednesday H - lost 0-1.Hardly being outclassed by the top sides in this league, just lacking that extra little spark of quality to pinch tight games."

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I’d say so - our new signings are superior to the ones who left us at the end of last season.

Lonwijk from Wolves is an upgrade on Critchlow who’s now at Bradford.

Butcher suits this formation more than Camara would of.

Mikel Miller although he hasn’t played yet due to injury is a clear upgrade on Ryan Law.

Bali Mumba is an upgrade on Steven Sessengon.

Finn Azaz is an upgrade on Ryan Broom.

Morgan Whittaker is an upgrade on Jordan Garrick.

+ We’ve added Sam Cosgrove who despite coming with shite reviews has given us a different dimension in attack when needed.

Top scorer last season Ryan Hardie has barely had a kick in recent games. We’ve got 6 Centre backs who could all come in to play and you wouldn’t worry about whether they’ll be up to it. Conor Grant who started near enough every game last season has come back from injury and will struggle for a place in the side.

Definitely feels like we’ve upgraded the squad, for example yesterday against Wycombe, we made plenty of changes, changed our style and still won the game. Promising.
I think Miller is a upgrade on Mumba. We have a stronger squad, and a very astute manager. Last year we were a one trick pony, this year we are not. I think last year we got four points all season from the top six sides, we have already exceeded this based on the most likely to be in that position. No chickens being counted, but we are a much better proposition this year.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
From some of their posts (below) they cannot admit that League 1 is a step up from L2 and there is no gap of quality between the top 8 and the rest but the results so far do not really support or strengthen their argument (look at the current top 8),in fact they completely contradict their argument. Two of the teams who finished in the top 3 last season are in the bottom 3 and Port Vale are not exactly setting the world alight. Don't know why Port Vale fans disagree but of course there is a gap between L1 and L2.

"League 1 is not a country mile better than league 2. It's slightly better in certain areas but in general the standard is still poor.

Anyway, my point isn't about how the promoted teams are doing, it's about the general standard of the division, which was proclaimed as 'too difficult' for some of the smaller teams. It really isn't a great standard.

Even with a team out that would struggle in league 2, we've managed to scrape together 9 points and should have more. I'd say that's an indictment of the quality of the league.

it was intimated that the top 8 clubs in terms of size will be far superior than the rest and there is a huge chasm, which is simply not true.

It was intimated at the start of the season is that the top 8 biggest clubs in terms of historical size would wrap up the top 8 places and then there would be a gap to the rest. My observation so far is that there is not a huge gulf in quality between top and bottom...

interesting half. Wednesday clearly got 2 or 3 good players but equally they've kicked the ball out of play several times and aren't actually that good as a collective which is embarrassing given their budget.

Given we have just come up from League 2 and you are paying players 20 grand a week, I think the margins between the teams were negligible.

My point still stands that there is very little difference in quality throughout the league. I stand by what I said, Wednesday should be head and shoulders above us but they weren't today.

Bolton H - drew 0-0.Portsmouth H - lost 0-1.Wednesday H - lost 0-1.Hardly being outclassed by the top sides in this league, just lacking that extra little spark of quality to pinch tight games."

In so far as I can tell the post you’ve quoted is from Leeds Valiant not all Vale fans so quite why you are putting they I don’t know. For the record of course there’s a fucking step up on quality. How great it is can be up for debate not that I particularly care about it quite honestly.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
So here is my take on the league 1 versus 2.
There is a gap, but obviously it’s not massive, which is why when you play a team it is close. Of course it will be. It’s not playing Man City.
The difference is seen over 46 games and the fact the better teams can grind out a 1-0.
Over a season that quality tells. Strength in depth, bit of quality and that’s the difference.
From what we can see so far, the table is taking shape and the bigger clubs are starting to jostle for position as expected. The shape is already happening.
The rest of us are fighting for 8th down is the way I see it.
We managed to get out of this league ( the right way ) - got lucky with injuries, some great players and a solid defence and we went up with Wigan. It’s more the exception than the rule however and may get harder as the years to by.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Could have got a point out of that as it seemed a very even game. First half we created more, but the game was settled by a wonder strike out of nothing. If that doesn't win goal of the season I'd like to see the one that does. Referee deserves a mention though - did he win a competition to be ref for the day? He was totally clueless.

We've played 3 of the big teams and not looked too far off it, but we need to be more creative. On to Derby next week which is the last big team we face for a few weeks.

The pitch was surprisingly bad and I'm not sure why, but did we really need to water it before the game?

i think it was a competition in the sheffield 'don't mention their budget' wednesday programme judging by some of his decisions.

i never understand why referees favour the team that is actively cheating. number 7 was never on his feet. even tried to dive whilst him and conlon were stood talking to the ref ffs

Felt a bit robbed coming away from the game because of the officials, they were Wednesday's best defenders on the day, but can't complain about the goal.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
i think it was a competition in the sheffield 'don't mention their budget' wednesday programme judging by some of his decisions.

i never understand why referees favour the team that is actively cheating. number 7 was never on his feet. even tried to dive whilst him and conlon were stood talking to the ref ffs

Felt a bit robbed coming away from the game because of the officials, they were Wednesday's best defenders on the day, but can't complain about the goal.
Aawwww salty c***

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
In so far as I can tell the post you’ve quoted is from Leeds Valiant not all Vale fans so quite why you are putting they I don’t know. For the record of course there’s a fucking step up on quality. How great it is can be up for debate not that I particularly care about it quite honestly.
Correct. Isn’t all Vale fans at all and LV I think I get his point but maybe isn’t wording it the best.

There is a quality gap, the efficiency and how one error goal. In league two you can get away with those more often than not.

The general play is much of a muchness but the quality difference is clear in the box.

The top teams in this league generally appear to be able to grind results and swing close games in their favour which is what happened yesterday in our game and the Pompey game for example.

That’s the quality difference, the weaker teams in league One are around the level of the top 7 in league two still and the higher ones a level above that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!