Saturday 21st August

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I agree with RLC and Valefan 16 about the likely promotion contenders and that there a number of us scrabbling around for a half decent striker and there aren’t that many available, so some of us will be disappointed.

While Mansfield topped my predicted table, felt Clough throwing a player under the bus as he did in the weekend post-match interview was ill-judged. Thought he was better than that!

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Things haven’t settled down yet. Recruitment isn’t quite finished and squads finalised.

Unless one club is extremely lucky with injuries the ones with some depth to their squad will do well. Those with a decent enough starting XI but poor back ups will fail.

Always been thus.

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Mansfield need to get this CB signing right first.

Danny Johnson is getting in good spots every game but he’s not scored from open play yet, once he starts scoring we’ll look even better offensively.
His record suggests this will come and you already have a striker who is going to cause problems. You also have good manager(despite his weekend rumble). We think we are in the same boat and bantamers who went on Saturday feel they saw a game that could have gone either way between 2 sides that are going to have very good seasons.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I agree with RLC and Valefan 16 about the likely promotion contenders and that there a number of us scrabbling around for a half decent striker and there aren’t that many available, so some of us will be disappointed.

While Mansfield topped my predicted table, felt Clough throwing a player under the bus as he did in the weekend post-match interview was ill-judged. Thought he was better than that!

Clough always calls out players post-game, although admittedly never quite like that. His frustration with Rawson is justified, because quite frankly I’m coming to the realisation he’s not good enough for us. Hewitt had a mare Saturday but he was left vunerable due to how we set-up, and Clough didn’t do enough to solve that. Hewitt was also fantastic against Colchester so it was very harsh for me.

Our midfield is superb, Hawkins looks great upfront and I’m sure Johnson will start scoring but we are weak at CB and RB, it’s a shame we didn’t manage to sign Tom Naylor but I get the feeling our next signing will be a big one.

Reactions: Boz

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You are kidding yourself mate, nobody in this league is gonna raise their game because massive Bristol Rovers are in town ffs.
Who said we’re massive?

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
he said that against us, no-one at mansfield saw bristol rovers as a bigger club and found it rather amusing, especially after the win for us.

You’ve got to acknowledge the league you’re in before understanding it.

Did he?

I didn't see that, can you post a link please?

The only comment I found was post game Vs Mansfield, "As a group, no-one’s going to give us anything. We’re a big target for anybody and we’re going to have to turn up."

Seems pretty reasonable?
Adam? No response?

Unlike you to make a claim about something without being able to back it up...

Or did you make it up again?

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
It all seemed to click for us, and after half an hour it was all over bar the shouting. Not sure if it was our good attacking play or Rovers defence having a day off, probably a bit of both. Rovers did actually have some chances later but clearly not their day. I'm confident this is a sign of things to come and our new players are getting to know everybody and we are gelling. Probably get hammered at Harrogate now !!!.....but I doubt it. I'm optimistic we can finally stop being that team who are always thereabouts but never quite manage it, to one that really challenges this year. Those single points against Bradford and away to Barrow don't seen too bad now.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Adam? No response?

Unlike you to make a claim about something without being able to back it up...

Or did you make it up again?

He mentioned saying bristol rovers “shouldn’t be down here etc comment before the game - an i going back to locate it to amuse you? erm

In fairness though managers of clubs often do say that when they’ve recently been in higher leagues and i guess for some playing (and then losing to) little average joes like mansfield isn’t what you’re aiming for! He won’t have been the first and won’t be the last.

In fairness though he does seem to be making a decent effort of getting you out of league 2 at the first time of asking :lol:

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Clough always calls out players post-game, although admittedly never quite like that. His frustration with Rawson is justified, because quite frankly I’m coming to the realisation he’s not good enough for us. Hewitt had a mare Saturday but he was left vunerable due to how we set-up, and Clough didn’t do enough to solve that. Hewitt was also fantastic against Colchester so it was very harsh for me.

Our midfield is superb, Hawkins looks great upfront and I’m sure Johnson will start scoring but we are weak at CB and RB, it’s a shame we didn’t manage to sign Tom Naylor but I get the feeling our next signing will be a big one.
Or sign a RB and play Hewitt in his best position?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

I know you didn’t mean it literally but how’s it taken you this long to realise rawson is shit? despite sponsoring the lad through the green dragon stags he’s clearly not good enough, though in fairness he did ok against cook, he’s a devil to play against.

Maybe it was just that we had shitter defenders last season and no-one realised hah

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Yems and that coach were constantly in the ear of the fourth official, it was an interesting side-show to an entertaining game...wasn't much of a surprise when a yellow card was shown by the ref, and the way the offender stamped off and sat on a cool box writing furiously on the sheaf of paper he was holding...someone sat near me shouted out "100 lines is it?", a bit too far away for him to hear but made me chuckle.
I'm never sure what the staff expect to get from the fourth official.

I can understand asking on a point of regs, I can understand asking why a player got a card (if it is unclear) but shouting and swearing at a person whose only real job is to take care off the subs and to get you sent off seems rather silly and counterproductive.

Casey

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Or sign a RB and play Hewitt in his best position?

Clough clearly thinks Rawson and Perch are better, and we have Gordon at RB - Hewitt replaced him at Colchester to deal with their height and he played really well.

The fact we nearly signed Tom Naylor suggests we are after somebody much better than any of our defenders. Hewitt is a utility player in Clough eyes, that much is obvious. Squad bolster!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Clough clearly thinks Rawson and Perch are better, and we have Gordon at RB - Hewitt replaced him at Colchester to deal with their height and he played really well.

The fact we nearly signed Tom Naylor suggests we are after somebody much better than any of our defenders. Hewitt is a utility player in Clough eyes, that much is obvious. Squad bolster!
Fair enough. Hewitt isn't consistent enough at RB (or CM for that matter) from what I've seen though, so get used to stinkers like he had on Saturday if that's how Clough intends to use him.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He mentioned saying bristol rovers “shouldn’t be down here etc comment before the game - an i going back to locate it to amuse you? erm

In fairness though managers of clubs often do say that when they’ve recently been in higher leagues and i guess for some playing (and then losing to) little average joes like mansfield isn’t what you’re aiming for! He won’t have been the first and won’t be the last.

In fairness though he does seem to be making a decent effort of getting you out of league 2 at the first time of asking :lol:
I mean, thats pretty different to you saying that he said we're 'the biggest club in the division and everyone will up their games against us'.

Generally in debate and discussion, if you go as far to say "he said that against us" and you're questioned on it, its generally your responsibility to bring it up, or back it up. The only reason is amuses me is because we both know, and you've now admitted, he never said it.

But in general, yeah its a generic comment. I can't think of a single Rovers manager who hasn't said it in the last 10/15 years. The fact that you took it to mean something against Mansfield specifically is probably your issue though, rather than his.

With your last comment, can't argue with you there! :lol:

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
I mean, thats pretty different to you saying that he said we're 'the biggest club in the division and everyone will up their games against us'.
Those were his exact words - along with 'We are everyones cup final'

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Those were his exact words - along with 'We are everyones cup final'
I’m not contesting that he said it against Exeter, it’s a stupid comment and obviously bullshit.

However, Adam said that Barton also said it in advance of the Mansfield game. Which turns out isn’t true.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Fair enough. Hewitt isn't consistent enough at RB (or CM for that matter) from what I've seen though, so get used to stinkers like he had on Saturday if that's how Clough intends to use him.

I think he was thrown under boat tactically to be honest, he was outnumbered down his side and nothing was done about it.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
A floating FGR watcher wouldn't be going to watch a Cheltenham game surely?
You will always get people who don't support a particular team but go to occasional games in the area where they live...the determining factor is usually when the game is taking place or the quality of opposition.

I know someone who is a season ticket holder at Kingsholm but often comes to watch Rovers when they aren't playing, just because he wants to watch live sport...bumped into him a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that he and his partner were going to watch Gloucester instead of Rovers, at their new (old) ground, as it was easier for them to get to than Nailsworth.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I’m not contesting that he said it against Exeter, it’s a stupid comment and obviously bullshit.

However, Adam said that Barton also said it in advance of the Mansfield game. Which turns out isn’t true.

He said something along those lines, so it’s technically not true, i just cba to locate it, it’s why he got stick from us at the game, even so it’s moved on, it’s a fortnight ago.

Leopards don’t change their spots. he’s an odd one as when he’s interviewed he’s pretty articulate, i think he’s a gay brother/relative and he speaks very clearly/passionately about the subject - just has an odd switch where he had a metal alter ego.

Anyway done with joey, i look forward to the return fixture assuming he’s still there

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He said something along those lines, so it’s technically not true, i just cba to locate it, it’s why he got stick from us at the game, even so it’s moved on, it’s a fortnight ago.

Leopards don’t change their spots. he’s an odd one as when he’s interviewed he’s pretty articulate, i think he’s a gay brother/relative and he speaks very clearly/passionately about the subject - just has an odd switch where he had a metal alter ego.

Anyway done with joey, i look forward to the return fixture assuming he’s still there
Bollocks, he gets stick because he’s an arsehole and has a embarrassing history. Not because he potentially (because you can’t prove it and can’t be found online) said we’re massive and you will raise your game against us. Most fans don’t even check what opposing managers say before the game.

Do you mean to say ‘has a’ when it comes to gay brother btw? Barton is an odd one, total psycho and absolute screw loose, but you’re right - he speaks really well. It’s classic psychopath tbf

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Didn’t we use to have a stat thread? Could do with a new one for this season.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

It does seem that every manager of any team that used to be in the championship believes that their club is considered a scalp and that other teams will raise their game to beat them, and often that other clubs will be wowed by their amazing stadium (Ian Evatt there). They seem to forget a few things.

The players down here, as anywhere are professionals and don't just arbitrarily raise their game because they think of their opposition as a big club.

Players move around a lot and even if club X are a big club with a fancy stadium by league Two standards, the majority of players will have experience of playing against or for clubs that are at big or even bigger with nicer grounds.

Clubs move around too, and even if there's a core of clubs in this division who haven't been above league one in recent memory, the last couple of decades has seen league one host an array of so called fallen giants. In our most recent spell at that level we played the likes of Leeds, Forest, Charlton, both Sheffield clubs, Norwich, Leicester, Wolves and so on. So the likes of Bolton don't quite amaze our fans.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It does seem that every manager of any team that used to be in the championship believes that their club is considered a scalp and that other teams will raise their game to beat them, and often that other clubs will be wowed by their amazing stadium (Ian Evatt there). They seem to forget a few things.

The players down here, as anywhere are professionals and don't just arbitrarily raise their game because they think of their opposition as a big club.

Players move around a lot and even if club X are a big club with a fancy stadium by league Two standards, the majority of players will have experience of playing against or for clubs that are at big or even bigger with nicer grounds.

Clubs move around too, and even if there's a core of clubs in this division who haven't been above league one in recent memory, the last couple of decades has seen league one host an array of so called fallen giants. In our most recent spell at that level we played the likes of Leeds, Forest, Charlton, both Sheffield clubs, Norwich, Leicester, Wolves and so on. So the likes of Bolton don't quite amaze our fans.
Yep can’t disagree with any of that. We’re nowhere near any of those clubs’ size. I think Barton for some reason also doesn’t realise that we’ve been here probably 10 or our last 20 years (as a guess).

Yes, we’re a ‘big’ club for this division but that means nothing, people will only raise their games if you’re good, and if they need to - in my experience.

No one is ever going to get excited about stadium, that’s for sure :lol:

MadJohn

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Twitter
@ITMCHufc
Yep can’t disagree with any of that. We’re nowhere near any of those clubs’ size. I think Barton for some reason also doesn’t realise that we’ve been here probably 10 or our last 20 years (as a guess).

Yes, we’re a ‘big’ club for this division but that means nothing, people will only raise their games if you’re good, and if they need to - in my experience.

No one is ever going to get excited about stadium, that’s for sure :lol:
It's a curious mix of clubs for our first season back in the EFL. You have a handful of unquestionably smaller clubs who are trying to establish, or re-establish, themselves as Football League clubs, and looking to build up their fanbases: Sutton, FGR, Barrow, Harrogate, Salford, even a couple that have been here a little longer (Crawley, Stevenage). Then you have the traditional, long-standing, league clubs, some of whom have spent recent time in the National League, but all of whom are more typically League Two, or League One, clubs. I'd put Bristol Rovers firmly in that camp. They have spent a reasonable part of their history playing in tier two, but not in the lifetime of most of their opponents this season. They've spent around half of the last two decades in League One, but so have Hartlepool, and I defy anybody to paint my club with any shades of grandeur! They are among the bigger fish, but not markedly so, certainly not in a division that has three (?) clubs who have played top flight football in recent memory, i.e. have played Premier League football. Barton himself will attract a greater amount of publicity and, for better or worse, they will be known as "Joey Barton's Bristol Rovers" in the media until such time as that stain on their "family club" image is removed.

Personally, I look forward to my trip to Rovers immensely. I actually like the Mem, with its hodgepodge of stands that look like they've been repurposed from different venues/sports over the decades. But mostly I look forward to the trip because Bristol has been something of a second home to me these last 15-20 years and any excuse for yet another visit is very welcome. And though my last trip to Ashton Gate was, ultimately, hugely enjoyable, I always preferred Rovers games to City games.

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Didn’t we use to have a stat thread? Could do with a new one for this season.
Think the only relevant stat is goals scored. Remember losing at home to Tranny last season in a game we absolutely dominated possession. The stats would have looked more impressive had we done it in their half.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
It's a curious mix of clubs for our first season back in the EFL. You have a handful of unquestionably smaller clubs who are trying to establish, or re-establish, themselves as Football League clubs, and looking to build up their fanbases: Sutton, FGR, Barrow, Harrogate, Salford, even a couple that have been here a little longer (Crawley, Stevenage). Then you have the traditional, long-standing, league clubs, some of whom have spent recent time in the National League, but all of whom are more typically League Two, or League One, clubs. I'd put Bristol Rovers firmly in that camp. They have spent a reasonable part of their history playing in tier two, but not in the lifetime of most of their opponents this season. They've spent around half of the last two decades in League One, but so have Hartlepool, and I defy anybody to paint my club with any shades of grandeur! They are among the bigger fish, but not markedly so, certainly not in a division that has three (?) clubs who have played top flight football in recent memory, i.e. have played Premier League football. Barton himself will attract a greater amount of publicity and, for better or worse, they will be known as "Joey Barton's Bristol Rovers" in the media until such time as that stain on their "family club" image is removed.

Personally, I look forward to my trip to Rovers immensely. I actually like the Mem, with its hodgepodge of stands that look like they've been repurposed from different venues/sports over the decades. But mostly I look forward to the trip because Bristol has been something of a second home to me these last 15-20 years and any excuse for yet another visit is very welcome. And though my last trip to Ashton Gate was, ultimately, hugely enjoyable, I always preferred Rovers games to City games.

There's only really one club clearly a fair bit bigger than everyone else and that's Bradford. Then you have your Swindons, Tranmeres, Bristol Rovers etc. The rest of us might be slightly bigger or slightly smaller than each other (apart from the Tinpot bankrolled clubs) but really Bradford are the only standout name I was looking forward to playing. Even then they're not huge, just lower end Championship size.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Yes, we’re a ‘big’ club for this division
But are you? 'big' clubs in this division were teams like Bolton, Portsmouth, Bradford as of late. Not umm, Bristol Rovers. I don't understand how or why Rovers think they're in any way 'big' for this league. League 1 and 2 is completely your natural level

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Let’s be honest fancy stadiums or histories mean little. We’re all tinpot 4th division clubs, this year this league feels more non league than the national league with some of the teams in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!