Saturday 30th July

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Mods: merge with the ‘opening day fixtures’ thread if you like, but I thought a separate thread in the usual format would be better - as per previous seasons.

Opening Day then, that came round quick.

Recently relegated Doncaster Rovers at Valley Parade.

Absentees: Timi Odusina, Alex Gilliead, Abo Eisa, Harry Chapman, Levi Sutton and Luke Hendrie

Starting XI:

GK: Harry Lewis

RB: Brad Halliday
CB: Matty Platt
CB: Romoney Critchlow
LB: Matty Foulds

DM: Richard Smallwood
DM: Ryan East

RM: Paddy Osadebe
CAM: Jamie Walker
LM: Lee Angol

ST: Andy Cook/Vadaine Oliver

Re: Doncaster, I know little about them. Obviously the likes of Clayton, Rowe, Close, Agard and Tomlin have all had great careers - the latter two sound like they’re already way past their best, though.

1,800 sold in the Donny end, with another 168 tickets available. Over 17,000 sold for the game thus far, which is a little lower than what I was expecting at this stage. I imagine we’ll beat the 18,300 record, but only marginally.

As for the result, if we start well and score early on, it’ll settle the nerves and the crowd will be partisan to say the least - but Donny aren’t just gonna roll over either.

2-1 (City) or 1-1 for me.

Big blow not having the likes of Odusina and Chapman available.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Totally different mindset from our players, Tomlin is far fitter than he has been and wanted to be here rather than a last payday. I honestly can’t say how we will play but we will be far better than last season with a team that should have finished top half of league one last season.
Likely lineup
Mitchell

Knoyle/younger
Williams
Long/Olowu
Maxwell

Clayton
Biggins

Tomlin

Molyneux
Miller
Rowe

Bench
Jones, Younger/Knoyle, Olowu/Long, Hurst, Andrew, Agard, Griffiths

Still out: Anderson, Close, Taylor

AR27

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Mods: merge with the ‘opening day fixtures’ thread if you like, but I thought a separate thread in the usual format would be better - as per previous seasons.

Opening Day then, that came round quick.

Recently relegated Doncaster Rovers at Valley Parade.

Absentees: Timi Odusina, Alex Gilliead, Abo Eisa, Harry Chapman, Levi Sutton and Luke Hendrie

Starting XI:

GK: Harry Lewis

RB: Brad Halliday
CB: Matty Platt
CB: Romoney Critchlow
LB: Matty Foulds

DM: Richard Smallwood
DM: Ryan East

RM: Paddy Osadebe
CAM: Jamie Walker
LM: Lee Angol

ST: Andy Cook/Vadaine Oliver

Re: Doncaster, I know little about them. Obviously the likes of Clayton, Rowe, Close, Agard and Tomlin have all had great careers - the latter two sound like they’re already way past their best, though.

1,800 sold in the Donny end, with another 168 tickets available. Over 17,000 sold for the game thus far, which is a little lower than what I was expecting at this stage. I imagine we’ll beat the 18,300 record, but only marginally.

As for the result, if we start well and score early on, it’ll settle the nerves and the crowd will be partisan to say the least - but Donny aren’t just gonna roll over either.

2-1 (City) or 1-1 for me.

Big blow not having the likes of Odusina and Chapman available.
Chapman should be fine, Hughes was saying he'll be getting more minutes in a behind close door game this week.

Very confident for this one personally. Need an aggressive and fast start with the crowd's help and if we get an early goal it could be a long afternoon for Rovers.

Koumas’Right-Boot

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
Starting XI:

GK: Ross Doohan

LCB: Luke Robinson
CB: Jordan Turnbull
RCB: Neil Byrne

LWB: Ethan Bristow
CM: Lee Oconnor
CM: Reece McAlear
RWB: Josh Dacres Cogley

CAM: Josh Hawkes

ST: Kane Hemmings
ST: Elliot Nevitt

Tom Davies, Kieron Morris and Charlie Jolley all out injured for this game.

Our 3-4-1-2 is very aggressive with an extremely high line and press. Expect goals in this one.

Last edited:

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
I think we're very much a question mark right now, but personally I think we might surprise a few people this season, we're still lacking up top, need someone to play wide left/left wing (McKinstry?), Umerah and Hamilton have both scored goals at lower levels but untested in the EFL, Jake Hastie looks to be the most exciting player so far for us.

We've set up mostly 4231 in pre season, think Hartley liked to play 343 as well but I don't think we've seen it in pre season? having not played anyone of any note away from home I'm not sure if he'll set up any different for Walsall away, assuming it is 4231 I think it'll be something like..

GK Ben Killip

RB Reghan Tumilty
CB Alex Lacey
CB Euan Murray
LB David Ferguson

CM Nicky Featherstone
CM Mouhamed Niang

AM Callum Cooke/Tom Crawford

WL Mikael Ndjoli/Joe Gray
WR Jake Hastie

ST Josh Umerah

Coin flip on Cooke and Ndjoli positions really, couldn't really separate either.

No idea on Walsall, seem to have signed some ageing players in Clarke, Williams, they'll probably pull a mega bucks signing out of nowhere the day before knowing our luck, I'd take a goal scoring draw to start things off.

CTFC - Devils

Reaction score
Supports
Crawley town
With the wholesale changes over the summer and numerous triallist signings it's very difficult to pick a starting line up for our game at Carlisle. The only guarantee from what we've seen pre-season is we'll out pass them and won't keep a clean sheet, fortunately with our attacking quality we are more than capable of scoring more than them but until the defenders are fully comfortable with the system Betsy is bringing in, clean sheets are off the cards. Balagizi the Liverpool loanee is our one to watch, has looked very good in every pre-season game. We could easily win this 4-1 and could comfortably lose it by the same score line.

Predicted Starting XI:

GK- Addai
RWB- Tilley
CB- Omole
CB- Conroy
CB- Lynch
LWB- Mason
CM- Powell
CM- Balagizi
CAM- Nichols
ST- Nadesan
ST- Telford

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Our opening day record is horrendous and I can see Barrow being stubborn and awkward.

Hinchliffe
Lewis Horsfall Johnson
MSH Collar Camps Sarcevic Rydel
Madden Wootton

Jaros, Palmer, Croasdale, Hippolyte, Lemonheigh-Evans, Crankshaw, Quigley

Most likely. Although personally I'd have Hippolyte over Rydel and Quigley over Wootton.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
We will get done at big spending Stockport by a score of three net strikes to one in front of an expectant crowd. We'll line up something like this in a 4-3-3:

GK: Paul Farman

RB: Tyrell Warren
CB: George Ray
CB: Niall Canavan
LB: Patrick Brough

CM: Robbie Gotts
CM: Sam Foley
CM: Harrison Neal

RW: Jordan Stevens (or Josh Kay)
ST: Billy Waters
LW: Ben Whitfield

Looks light up top hence why I can't see us scoring any more than one, if at all.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
GK - Crocombe
RB - Efete
CB - Waterfall
CB - Maher
LB - Glennon
RM - JMD
CM - Green
CM - Morris
LM - Clifton
ST - Orsi
Wherever the fuck he wants - McAtee

Considering current fitness levels and minutes they've put in in pre-season I think JMD will pip Wearne, Khan and Kiernan to a starting place. Maher is a doubt as well and I'd expect Andy Smith to start if he comes back in on loan from Hull as is widely expected. Ryan Taylor has also picked up an injury and I'd have expected him to start over Orsi if fit. If everyone is fit then I think the side at present picks itself except for the right wide spot and one of the CM spots, where I think Holohan and Morris will slug it out to partner Green.
Is that 18300 a Bradford record or a L2 record?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
GK - Crocombe
RB - Efete
CB - Waterfall
CB - Maher
LB - Glennon
RM - JMD
CM - Green
CM - Morris
LM - Clifton
ST - Orsi

Considering current fitness levels and minutes they've put in in pre-season I think JMD will pip Wearne, Khan and Kiernan to a starting place. Maher is a doubt as well and I'd expect Andy Smith to start if he comes back in on loan from Hull as is widely expected. Ryan Taylor has also picked up an injury and I'd have expected him to start over Orsi if fit. If everyone is fit then I think the side at present picks itself except for the right wide spot and one of the CM spots, where I think Holohan and Morris will slug it out to partner Green.

Portsmouth got 18,625 when down here which i think is the record while it’s been called league 2

the highest in the 4 div (according to google) is 37,000 odd at crystal palace

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Just a club record.

I believe the highest Division Four attendance is held by Crystal Palace Vs Millwall in 1960/1961 - 37,774

The highest average is 19,092 set by Palace the same season.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Portsmouth got 18,625 when down here which i think is the record while it’s been called league 2

Correct.

We’ll surpass that Pompey figure on a few occasions this season, IMO.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Just a club record.

I believe the highest Division Four attendance is held by Crystal Palace Vs Millwall in 1960/1961 - 37,774

The highest average is 19,092 set by Palace the same season.
Cheers both. Yeah, I knew it wouldn't have been an all time 4th tier record but wasn't sure if there was an official record since it's been called L2. I'm sure Hull had 20,000+ several times when they went up from this level which must have been 2003/04 as it was the season we last got relegated from L1.

Edit: Although was that before the divisions were renamed? Gonna Google this and report back.

Edit: Yep Hull got 20,000+ four times in 2003/04 but that was the last season it was called Football League Division Three.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Our opening day record is horrendous and I can see Barrow being stubborn and awkward.

Hinchliffe
Lewis Horsfall Johnson
MSH Collar Camps Sarcevic Rydel
Madden Wootton

Jaros, Palmer, Croasdale, Hippolyte, Lemonheigh-Evans, Crankshaw, Quigley

Most likely. Although personally I'd have Hippolyte over Rydel and Quigley over Wootton.
I’d have Croasdale over Camps and Kitching over Johnson personally. We’ll also have to see if Sarcevic is fit.

Wild’s Halifax were completely overwhelmed by us on the final day of last season and from memory didn’t manage a shot on target and barely got out of their own half as Waters was completely isolated.

Be interesting to see what he comes up with for his Barrow side.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I think we're very much a question mark right now, but personally I think we might surprise a few people this season, we're still lacking up top, need someone to play wide left/left wing (McKinstry?), Umerah and Hamilton have both scored goals at lower levels but untested in the EFL, Jake Hastie looks to be the most exciting player so far for us.

We've set up mostly 4231 in pre season, think Hartley liked to play 343 as well but I don't think we've seen it in pre season? having not played anyone of any note away from home I'm not sure if he'll set up any different for Walsall away, assuming it is 4231 I think it'll be something like..

GK Ben Killip

RB Reghan Tumilty
CB Alex Lacey
CB Euan Murray
LB David Ferguson

CM Nicky Featherstone
CM Mouhamed Niang

AM Callum Cooke/Tom Crawford

WL Mikael Ndjoli/Joe Gray
WR Jake Hastie

ST Josh Umerah

Coin flip on Cooke and Ndjoli positions really, couldn't really separate either.

No idea on Walsall, seem to have signed some ageing players in Clarke, Williams, they'll probably pull a mega bucks signing out of nowhere the day before knowing our luck, I'd take a goal scoring draw to start things off.
Is Sterry injured?

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Cheers both. Yeah, I knew it wouldn't have been an all time 4th tier record but wasn't sure if there was an official record since it's been called L2. I'm sure Hull had 20,000+ several times when they went up from this level which must have been 2003/04 as it was the season we last got relegated from L1.

Edit: Although was that before the divisions were renamed? Gonna Google this and report back.

Edit: Yep Hull got 20,000+ four times in 2003/04 but that was the last season it was called Football League Division Three.

You’re right, 23,455 vs Huddersfield.

Only chance of beating that is if we needed a win to be crowned Champions or summet.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
You’re right, 23,455 vs Huddersfield.

Only chance of beating that is if we needed a win to be crowned Champions or summet.
Not sure if you saw my edits, but that was before the League 1/2 name changes so was technically a "Division Three" crowd.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
GK - Crocombe
RB - Efete
CB - Waterfall
CB - Maher
LB - Glennon
RM - JMD
CM - Green
CM - Morris
LM - Clifton
ST - Orsi

Hope JMD manages the step up to League football this time. Great flashes of talent in our promotion season, but really very anonymous in our following L2 campaign.

As for us, we have had a striker injury crisis all summer and the Charlie Kelman signing won’t help on but for this’un as he’s suspended. Expecting a 4-2-3-1 with us keeping it on the deck as much as possible due to Sotiriou being about 4’3”. Fingers firmly crossed that Tom James makes it, otherwise Adam Thompson will have to shift to right back.

GK: Vigouroux
RB: James
CB: Beckles
CB: Thompson
LB: Wood
CM: Clay
CM: Pratley (C)
RW: Smyth
AM: Moncur
LW: Archibald
FW: Sotiriou

Bench: Sargeant, Happe, Ogie, Brown, Turner, Tanga, N’Krumah.

Everything will look much rosier in a week or two when Smith, Drinan and Kelman should be available.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Chapman should be fine, Hughes was saying he'll be getting more minutes in a behind close door game this week.

Very confident for this one personally. Need an aggressive and fast start with the crowd's help and if we get an early goal it could be a long afternoon for Rovers.
You need to with a big expectant crowd, I personally don’t see much between the sides, we have a far better squad than last season in terms of all the bad influences have been rousted out, better coaching staff, fitness levels but also mental awareness. We will certainly be pressing you as much if not even more than Chesterfield did. I think we are playing you at the right time before Hughes can get all the new faces to gel. I was dreading the new season 6 weeks ago, now I can’t wait for Saturday

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Hope JMD manages the step up to League football this time. Great flashes of talent in our promotion season, but really very anonymous in our following L2 campaign.
Yeah, he's definitely got the talent to succeed at this level. His fitness is probably the main obstacle in the way. Struggled to complete 90 minutes last season. However, people who have been to our friendlies this pre-season have commented on him looking a bit trimmer. He's never going to be the type of wide player who tracks back all the time but I think a bit of improvement is needed on that front. He's a clever player though and links well with McAtee and Taylor, so I'm feeling relatively confident he'll have a decent season.

Last edited:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
There isn’t any genuine stand out side for me this season, there’s plenty of teams who could have a realistic chance of autos.

It’s hard to see a side running away with it.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Dons away, we have a terrible record against the litter-picking fucks since they came into the EFL.

Jake Turner
Will Wright - Max Ehmer - Elkan Baggott - Ryan Law
Shaun Williams - Dom Jefferies
Jordan Green - Olly Lee - Scott Kashket
Mika Mandron
Holtam, Alexander, Reeves, McDonald, Tutonda, Gbode, MacArthur

Pre-season optimism has me believing we'll win this 2-0. I can also foresee a scenario where Kyle Hudlin jumps in the right place three times and we lose 3-0.

Huntsman94

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
We’ve made some good signings but I still don’t think our squad is complete yet. Our starting lineup is very good though it will come down to squad depth as the season goes on.

No idea what to expect for Saturday tbh. We’ve shown positive glimpses through pre season but also some silly mistakes. Stevenage have signed about 45 players so Saturday could be anything. Will stay true and go Tranmere 3-1 Stevenage

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
We will get done at big spending Stockport by a score of three net strikes to one in front of an expectant crowd. We'll line up something like this in a 4-3-3:

GK: Paul Farman

RB: Tyrell Warren
CB: George Ray
CB: Niall Canavan
LB: Patrick Brough

CM: Robbie Gotts
CM: Sam Foley
CM: Harrison Neal

RW: Jordan Stevens (or Josh Kay)
ST: Billy Waters
LW: Ben Whitfield

Looks light up top hence why I can't see us scoring any more than one, if at all.
pretty much agree with that team - the only question is will he put Robbie Gotts straight in the team after having Tonsilitis.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
There isn’t any genuine stand out side for me this season, there’s plenty of teams who could have a realistic chance of autos.

Yeah agree with that. I think there are several teams who look to have put together squads that are reasonably better than most of the rest of the division but none of those are standouts in their own right. Some of those sides will flop in some way, shape or form meaning that unfancied sides will capitalise. That pool of darkhorses looking to pounce is basically the rest of the entire division too. Throw in an equally tough to call relegation conversation and part of me thinks we might see something like that mad season in L1 when about 15 teams went into the final few months in a genuine relegation battle. A tight division means it's more likely that we'll see teams that start well fade badly enough to be in a serious trouble and teams that were written off in the early months putting runs together to get themselves into the playoff contention.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
It seems weird we start the season on Saturday, we’re still 4 players short and we barely seem to have had a pre season.

Buzzing for it though, despite the fact I’ll barely see a game for the first 2 months

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon

You can’t say that. Who knows how certain teams are going to perform. A few new players here, a few tweaks there and anyone can take off.

Away at Harrogate so one we should be winning before a few sterner tests in August.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
You can’t say that. Who knows how certain teams are going to perform. A few new players here, a few tweaks there and anyone can take off.

Away at Harrogate so one we should be winning before a few sterner tests in August.

possibly but on current terms i can’t see anyone running away with it.

I remember us having a meltdown october time when we basically had our entire first team out through injury and hadn’t won in pushing 2 months, any run like that is going to take its toll on a season, hopefully it’s kinder this term.

There are so many variants - but it’s not like the conference where you’ve got evident stand outs in wrexham. or the PL where you’ve got city/lpool

Last edited:

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Top vs bottom at Edgeley Park, as the Hardest Working Galacticos Ever take on our team of non-league rejects.

We'll get beaten comfortably, probably three or four nil - light up top and don't like the look of carthorses Ray and Canavan playing together at the back.

I think we'll learn lessons though, and hopefully it won't set the tone for the season.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
possibly but on current terms i can’t see anyone running away with it.

I remember us having a meltdown october time when we basically had our entire first team out through injury and hadn’t won in pushing 2 months, any run like that is going to take its toll on a season, hopefully it’s kinder this term.

There are so many variants - but it’s like the conference where you’ve got evident stand outs in wrexham. or the PL where you’ve got city/lpool
Obviously I know very little about your recruitment, but I’d guess you’ve strengthened last season’s squad so, on paper, you should be stronger. We’ve signed 13 new players so that could go either way.

If you don’t have such a shit start again and perform like you did for the remainder of the season, you should be up there from the get go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!