Saturday 6th August 2022

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Making the long trip to Fleetwood this weekend. Cricket at Old Trafford Friday night followed by the jaunt up to Fleetwood and a Blackpool overnighter on Saturday. RIP my liver.

Couple of tasty games this weekend and I think we should be pushing for 3 points.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I hate to admit it, but there is suddenly a lot of optimism around these parts after our second half at Wednesday on Saturday.

That's just what we need after starting our season against two relegated teams - a bloody rampant Portsmouth in our 3rd game.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Making the long trip to Fleetwood this weekend. Cricket at Old Trafford Friday night followed by the jaunt up to Fleetwood and a Blackpool overnighter on Saturday. RIP my liver.

Couple of tasty games this weekend and I think we should be pushing for 3 points.
At least if you get dicked in the footy you will have a boss weekend on the beer.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Spurs were 2nd division champions in 1950 and won the league in 1951.
Of course, yes.
Should have remembered that because it was continually brought up in their 1961 double winning season.
For a few decades Spurs won a trophy every season ending in a 1.

Anyway I won't be using that website again for historic football information now that it has shown to be be lacking.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
We looked decent on Saturday, but that was against a Gas side not at the races and missing quite a few players. Ipswich is a much bigger test, first chance to see how league 1 ready we really are.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
A few years ago a regular question in pub quizzes was to name the only team to have won the league title and get relegated the following season.

Answer is Man City – Champions in 1937 and relegated in 1938.

and if you love Man City FACTS, you may also care to know that the only team with a 100% win record against them in the league is...us.

(we'll neatly overlook the fact that the last time we played them - in the League Cup last season - a mix of first teamers and kids shat all over us 7-1. But hey)

Tom_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
A few years ago a regular question in pub quizzes was to name the only team to have won the league title and get relegated the following season.

However most answered Ipswich Town, not realising that they won title in 1962 but were relegated two years later in 1964.
Nowadays people would generally answer that question with a ‘Dunno’

I believe following that promotion Ipswich Town hold the proud record of only team to win League title in their 1st ever season in top division. I doubt if any other team in the future will be able to match that achievement.
Another curios fact is that there are only three teams: Everton [1932], Nottingham Forest [1978] & Ipswich [1962], to have won title in season following promotion. But only Everton & Ipswich were 2nd Division Champions previous year

Genuine question to Ipswich supporters:
Which era do the fans and club hold in greater esteem: -

[1] Alf Ramsey’s three title wins: Div 3 (S), League 2 & League 1 or
[2] Bobby Robson’s era when they won a European title, FA Cup and regularly ended season in a top 3 spot.

I suspect it will be the Bobby Robson era because it is more recent.

Another ‘curios’ fact for you, in the 31 home UEFA tournament games, we’ve never lost at home. This held the longest record for years, it may do again, and probably will plenty of times as I doubt we’ll be back for a while!

We have lost one non-UEFA home game though, and I it’ll be interesting to know if the fans of this team know, as they are currently a league one team too!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Another ‘curios’ fact for you, in the 31 home UEFA tournament games, we’ve never lost at home. This held the longest record for years, it may do again, and probably will plenty of times as I doubt we’ll be back for a while!

We have lost one non-UEFA home game though, and I it’ll be interesting to know if the fans of this team know, as they are currently a league one team too!
1996 Anglo Italian Cup by any chance? ;)

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich

However most answered Ipswich Town, not realising that they won title in 1962 but were relegated two years later in 1964.
Nowadays people would generally answer that question with a ‘Dunno’

I believe following that promotion Ipswich Town hold the proud record of only team to win League title in their 1st ever season in top division. I doubt if any other team in the future will be able to match that achievement.
Another curios fact is that there are only three teams: Everton [1932], Nottingham Forest [1978] & Ipswich [1962], to have won title in season following promotion. But only Everton & Ipswich were 2nd Division Champions previous year

Genuine question to Ipswich supporters:
Which era do the fans and club hold in greater esteem: -

[1] Alf Ramsey’s three title wins: Div 3 (S), League 2 & League 1 or
[2] Bobby Robson’s era when they won a European title, FA Cup and regularly ended season in a top 3 spot.

I suspect it will be the Bobby Robson era because it is more recent.
Before my time (I’m 24) but the SBR era is seen as our greatest era because of how good we were in Europe (best home record in Britain in European football. 31 games and zero losses. Including against the likes of Real Madrid and Barca in that). Should have probably won more from what I’ve heard about us at that time but amazing to look back on with pride.

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
It's not a Varsity game, and it's not a rivalry. It's just a normal League One game verses a team about 100 miles away.

We are not mortar board wearing, boat rowing, toffs. Leave that shit to the students.
Sounds like Oxford to me

FGR-Star

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Of course, yes.
Should have remembered that because it was continually brought up in their 1961 double winning season.
For a few decades Spurs won a trophy every season ending in a 1.

Anyway I won't be using that website again for historic football information now that it has shown to be be lacking.
You are such a boring old c***.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Interesting game for us at Fleetwood. I’ve got no real idea of how they’ll get on under Scott Brown. They’ll either surprise a few or it’ll be a disaster I think, no inbetween. They’ve made a few good signings to be fair, Brendan Wiredu and Callum Morton the stand outs although Wiredu isn’t proven at this level.

I missed Barnsley at home as I was at a concert in the big smoke but by all accounts we played very well and could of scored 3 or 4 and it wouldn’t of been harsh on Barnsley.

Hopefully we can be more clinical. If we have a similar amount of chances created / shots (19 last weekend) then I think we’ll win.

0-2 Argyle.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Interesting game for us at Fleetwood. I’ve got no real idea of how they’ll get on under Scott Brown. They’ll either surprise a few or it’ll be a disaster I think, no inbetween. They’ve made a few good signings to be fair, Brendan Wiredu and Callum Morton the stand outs although Wiredu isn’t proven at this level.

I missed Barnsley at home as I was at a concert in the big smoke but by all accounts we played very well and could of scored 3 or 4 and it wouldn’t of been harsh on Barnsley.

Hopefully we can be more clinical. If we have a similar amount of chances created / shots (19 last weekend) then I think we’ll win.

0-2 Argyle.
I thought they were ok. They just look desperately short in an attacking sense. After a well worked goal early on they didn't really threaten again.

Being 2-1 up in the second half, you'd expect a number of nervy moments but they never looked like scoring and our keeper had virtually no action in the second half.

Don't know whether they'll be different at home.

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Looking forward to the Vale game. Like us they will want a good start after getting promoted. Pretty close contests last season. Our new goalie may get his first outing. I’ve got a soft spot for Vale but clearly not on Saturday. Expecting us to go for the win from the off after the draw at Lincoln. We haven’t got any of the so called big guns early in the season so a good start is crucial for us

Bar Carousel

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
That's just what we need after starting our season against two relegated teams - a bloody rampant Portsmouth in our 3rd game.
Don't you worry. This is Pompey.

We'll be two down in 30 minutes on Saturday and wondering what all the fuss was about.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Looking forward to the Vale game. Like us they will want a good start after getting promoted. Pretty close contests last season. Our new goalie may get his first outing. I’ve got a soft spot for Vale but clearly not on Saturday. Expecting us to go for the win from the off after the draw at Lincoln. We haven’t got any of the so called big guns early in the season so a good start is crucial for us

Ben Garrity was on Paddy Pimbletts podcast not long ago and said when we played you on the last day our players were constantly in Exeters players ears telling them that Mansfield were beating FGR to get them to ease up against us. Suspect those tactics won't work this time. One of those games you'd expect both clubs will be targeting for points. I expect first goal will win it.

Last edited:

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
For 1st time away visitors to attend match against FGR it is well worth a shufti through the relevant page on ‘Football Ground Guide’
https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-two/forest-green-rovers-the-new-lawn.html
Some of the information is out of date – the 63 bus from Stroud only now runs once an hour.
The actual maximum ground capacity is just over 4,000 with no more than 1,224 away supporters.

The view of the pitch for away fans is possibly one of the best in the EFL. They stand only yards from the touch-line with the sun on their backs. Home fans must squint to watch game on sunny days. Wonderful in good weather but awful in the cold and wet. The away stand has no roof and TNL is the highest altitude stadium in the EFL. So during winter take an extra set of thermals and a decent raincoat. Oh yes, the commentary gantry is above the away supporters so on video replays it sounds as if they always out-sing the home crowd.

There are no pubs or cafe’s near TNL, the nearest are in Nailsworth, a 15 minute walk up steep hill to ground. Within the ground it is only Vegan food on sale. Last season there was at least one very serious complaint, amongst others, about its quality. So best for fans to eat heartedly elsewhere before match. For those travelling by train to match I recommend they dine in the Five Valleys shopping centre in centre of Stroud which has 21 different eateries. Here even the Vegan option is better than at TNL.

Last edited:

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I hate to admit it, but there is suddenly a lot of optimism around these parts after our second half at Wednesday on Saturday.

The forward line of Pigott and Bishop were both excellent and incisive, and we have the impressive Spurs tyro Dane Scarlett waiting on the bench.

It's the happiest we've seen Cowley since he came here, which would indicate that he's finally close to the squad he's been looking to build. I may even predict a win. 2-0
It looks like a good Cowley transfer window to me, he's clearly been able to sign the type he likes, which are strong and/or tall and/or physical kind of players - Griffiths, Pack, Bishop, Morrison, Piggot.

Seems very targetted transfer window from him, which he did here in 2018/19.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
For 1st time away visitors to attend match against FGR it is well worth a shufti through the relevant page on ‘Football Ground Guide’
https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-two/forest-green-rovers-the-new-lawn.html
Some of the information is out of date – the 63 bus from Stroud only now runs once an hour.
The actual maximum ground capacity is just over 4,000 with no more than 1,224 away supporters.

The view of the pitch for away fans is possibly one of the best in the EFL. They stand only yards from the touch-line with the sun on their backs. Home fans must squint to watch game on sunny days. Wonderful in good weather but awful in the cold and wet. The away stand has no roof and TNL is the highest altitude stadium in the EFL. So during winter taking an extra set of thermals and a decent raincoat. Oh yes, the commentary gantry is above the away supporters so on video replays it sounds as if they always out-sing the home crowd.

There are no pubs or cafe’s near TNL, the nearest are in Nailsworth, a 15 minute walk up steep hill to ground. Within the ground it is only Vegan food on sale. Last season there was at least one very serious complaint, amongst others, about its quality. So best for fans to eat heartedly elsewhere before match. For those travelling by train to match I recommend they dine in the Five Valleys shopping centre in centre of Stroud which has 21 different eateries. Here even the Vegan option is better than at TNL.
Stood on a concrete pad, close to the touchline will never be a good view. It's only semi-acceptable for pre-season games!

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Stood on a concrete pad, close to the touchline will never be a good view. It's only semi-acceptable for pre-season games!
Agree about the concrete pad but nevertheless you've a terrific view of game.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Ben Garrity was on Paddy Pimbletts podcast not long ago and said when we played you on the last day our players were constantly in Exeters players ears telling them that Mansfield were beating FGR to get them to ease up against us. Suspect those tactics won't work this time. One of those games you'd expect both clubs will be targeting for points. I expect first goal will win it.
Didn't he also say the Exeter players were like "Just blow the whistle" ref near the end which stunned him as they had the chance for the title? Needed sub titles to listen to that mind!

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town

The view of the pitch for away fans is possibly one of the best in the EFL. They stand only yards from the touch-line with the sun on their backs. Home fans must squint to watch game on sunny days. Wonderful in good weather but awful in the cold and wet. The away stand has no roof and TNL is the highest altitude stadium in the EFL. So during winter take an extra set of thermals and a decent raincoat. Oh yes, the commentary gantry is above the away supporters so on video replays it sounds as if they always out-sing the home crowd.

Either you're wrong, or FGR are flouting the ground grading rules

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC

The figure I quoted was the maximum attendance last season when the ground was packed out.
They may get a few more than 4,000 but nowhere near the official 5,140 capacity.
Every time FGR expect a large crowd they are forced to hire water bowsers because otherwise the club's water system would run out.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
The figure I quoted was the maximum attendance last season when the ground was packed out.
They may get a few more than 4,000 but nowhere near the official 5,140 capacity.
Every time FGR expect a large crowd they are forced to hire water bowsers because otherwise the club's water system would run out.

It’s a relatively new stadium isn’t it? I’d be amazed if the EFL allowed you to be significantly below the minimum allowed especially having been a league club for some time now. There are some older grounds where the capacity is reduced (Vale being one) but I don’t think that really applies here.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
According to the guy who actually manages the stadium, the capacity is 5,009.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
It’s a relatively new stadium isn’t it? I’d be amazed if the EFL allowed you to be significantly below the minimum allowed especially having been a league club for some time now. There are some older grounds where the capacity is reduced (Vale being one) but I don’t think that really applies here.
The ground capacity fully applies to EFL regulations.
The capacity is over 4,000 and that complies with Si Robin's post on subject.

coronakopite

Reaction score
Supports
cambridge united

Barrow are currently jumping through these hoops. They need to squeeze in extra seats but can make the minimum 5,000 capacity - just. Part of the 5,449 registered capacity goes down with extra seats but there are areas of the ground not currently used that can add back numbers.

Clearly FGR have convinced the EFL that 5,009 is possible and safe. Provided they can legally top 5,000 they don't need to make problems by selling all the tickets.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
It looks like a good Cowley transfer window to me, he's clearly been able to sign the type he likes, which are strong and/or tall and/or physical kind of players - Griffiths, Pack, Bishop, Morrison, Piggot.

Seems very targetted transfer window from him, which he did here in 2018/19.
Definitely. He would have liked something similar last summer but was severely restricted by a tight budget and plenty of dead wood happy to stay and run down their contracts.

We managed to move on some players earlier than expected in January (Marquis, Harrison, Brown etc) which simplified things a bit when it came to this summer's dealings.

In a perfect world Cowley would have wanted to bring back loanees George Hirst and Hayden Carter this season but clubs higher up the tree have noticed them and it looks like we've been priced out. I think he realised this quite early in the window and quickly adjusted to other targets.

All in all, there is now an excitement about the squad that we haven't experienced for a while. It could still all go horribly wrong in a tough league of course.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town

Really looking forward to this one. A bloody long trek but looks like a beautiful part of the country and have heard great things about the local fans being really friendly. I wonder whether to use the park and ride and just not ride, so that I can explore the area, or whether to try local roads or car parks.

On paper we should win easily, however, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we lose this one. I'm sure your players will be well up for it, and in previous seasons these are the kinds of games we struggle in. You've also got some decent players so certainly won't be a push over. All the best for the season ahead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!