Saturday 8th October 2022

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Home to Charlton.

Can't see us sticking with 3 at the back for this one to be honest. Bishop, Montsma, Davenport and Walsh will be out, Hopper missed the Bolton game as well. Mandroiu finally got some game time at Bolton but I'd be surprised if he started.

We're unbeaten at home, which sounds good but we've drawn three out of the four, letting leads slip in two of those.

I thought Charlton were going to be better than they’ve shown this season but not really fired at all. Doesn’t seem everything is right behind the scenes and Garner comes across as an idiot to be blunt.

As for us, it’s a tough game at Derby. They’re strong at home and we’ve only won one away. With that said and there’s no logic behind it other than a feeling but I think we may end up shocking them and winning this.

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
I thought Charlton were going to be better than they’ve shown this season but not really fired at all. Doesn’t seem everything is right behind the scenes and Garner comes across as an idiot to be blunt.

As for us, it’s a tough game at Derby. They’re strong at home and we’ve only won one away. With that said and there’s no logic behind it other than a feeling but I think we may end up shocking them and winning this.

We've been good at home since we returned from Covid, think it's 5 defeats from 29 or 30 games - two defeats after we were relegated last season and we put some of the youngsters in.

We have got to a point where I'm always confident at home. It's expected to be a big crowd again - 28,000+ - so hopefully we keep rolling as we've got a bit of catching up to do. I'm going in confident 3-0 Derby with Collins continuing his good form.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
We've been good at home since we returned from Covid, think it's 5 defeats from 29 or 30 games - two defeats after we were relegated last season and we put some of the youngsters in.

We have got to a point where I'm always confident at home. It's expected to be a big crowd again - 28,000+ - so hopefully we keep rolling as we've got a bit of catching up to do. I'm going in confident 3-0 Derby with Collins continuing his good form.

Absolutely you should be confident at home with a record like that. I’m hoping defensively we can continue what we did against Wednesday where we did a good job and it needed a moment of magic to beat us. Prior to that game we were showing some serious naivety far too often at the back. Suppose at least we’ve had a look at a Paul Warne side already this season in the League Cup so will have some idea of how Derby will approach it.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Absolutely you should be confident at home with a record like that. I’m hoping defensively we can continue what we did against Wednesday where we did a good job and it needed a moment of magic to beat us. Prior to that game we were showing some serious naivety far too often at the back. Suppose at least we’ve had a look at a Paul Warne side already this season in the League Cup so will have some idea of how Derby will approach it.
I think you need to look at our last two away games really, Peterborough we started well, made a bad error then we were poor and got beat 3-0 (only the second time in 18 months under DC we've been beaten by 3 goals).

Barnsley which now with their form looks an excellent result we dug in, created chances and had a bit go our way defensively and with Stephens, the Barnsley game gives me hope as they are flying! so hopefully we can add that performance level with a bit more solidity at the back.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

As a Derby fan, you'd definitely look at a game v us on paper and think it would be a comfortable home win. I'm not sure it will be as comfortable as you predict as I hope we learnt our lesson at Peterborough.

It feels like we're on the cusp of getting some positive results together as it's all been a bit fragmented so far, but we're close to it all coming together. A draw would be a great result for us , with a few friendlier fixtures on the horizon to bump us up.

I'm certain that we'll beat one of the big boys away from home at some stage, so why not Saturday? We'd have to play the perfect game but hopefully there's complacency from their players, like we were guilty of a few times against the smaller clubs in league 2. I'm sure some of the Derby fans will see this as a formality win.

One thing that Wednesday did really well last week was pressing the person with the ball, often with 2 or 3 players, so that the man in possession had no option but to boot it anywhere. That's what I want to see us doing more of (we did it well last season). No matter how good a team you are at this level, if the opposition close you down quickly and stop you playing, then you're going to struggle. I believe Cheltenham did it to Bolton the other night.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As a Derby fan, you'd definitely look at a game v us on paper and think it would be a comfortable home win. I'm not sure it will be as comfortable as you predict as I hope we learnt our lesson at Peterborough.

It feels like we're on the cusp of getting some positive results together as it's all been a bit fragmented so far, but we're close to it all coming together. A draw would be a great result for us , with a few friendlier fixtures on the horizon to bump us up.

I'm certain that we'll beat one of the big boys away from home at some stage, so why not Saturday? We'd have to play the perfect game but hopefully there's complacency from their players, like we were guilty of a few times against the smaller clubs in league 2. I'm sure some of the Derby fans will see this as a formality win.

One thing that Wednesday did really well last week was pressing the person with the ball, often with 2 or 3 players, so that the man in possession had no option but to boot it anywhere. That's what I want to see us doing more of (we did it well last season). No matter how good a team you are at this level, if the opposition close you down quickly and stop you playing, then you're going to struggle. I believe Cheltenham did it to Bolton the other night.
We enacted the high press excellently at times last season, and was points last week it came out but we'd struggled to do it with Garrity playing the changed role due to injuries so may see it more now.

Its a free hit, pressure is all on Derby so may as well give it a go.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Pompey away at the weekend and over the years we've had a couple of decent results. Remember when Graham Alexander was manager and we went there and won, and last season in the midst of our relegation troubles we found ourselves 3 up, naturally it did'nt last and it finished 3-3. Great start by Pompey and this is a real test for the Cods. Defensively we have been excellent but as is so often the case up front we are struggling to score. I think our hosts will be too strong for us and we will lose narrowly, of course you always hope for a draw.......

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Which is an amazing following. And all things considered is better than what anyone else will do.
I remember going to home park and on the way back ( which seemed to last forever in the rain ) thinking that you did this shit every other week.
The farthest I did last year was Bolton, my teenager almost gave up the will to live. Next day I was absolutely shattered - and I was sitting on a coach.
This year furthest was Derby but I flew back, metaphorically anyway.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Morecambe away. Not a game im attending so will find a stream. Last time I did that was Forest Green away in august and was suprised to be able to find one. Hopefully the same.

They’re bottom and struggling. Apparently they’re going to be without 8 first team players through injury, suspension and personal issues. Hopefully that means we can score early and put on a show but also wary that it’s a banana skin as we’re still a scalp to most teams in the league who try to raise their game for us. We’ve looked like scoring a cricket score a few times under McKenna and not quite managed it (although we have had a few 3s and 4s). An early goal for us and with then missing so many players and us being high on confidence right now, I’d hope this could be a game to finally put a team properly to the sword.

Morecambe 0-4 Ipswich

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Schuey and Whittaker have won manager & player of the month. Incoming defeat on Saturday!

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Schuey and Whittaker have won manager & player of the month. Incoming defeat on Saturday!
Chaplin won it in August and made the nominees in September which is pretty good going.

Wonder if any single player has won the award in three months of any season.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I still haven’t come down from Tuesday night… usually unaffected when we lose odd games but im still so frustrated with how we played. Take nothing away from Cheltenham as they were excellent but we were just so poor.

I was starting to get so excited for the season… I know there’s a long way to go and it might be a blip but we absolutely have to bounce back at the weekend. I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully a big reaction!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We could do with something at Bristol Rovers, have lost four of our last five now.
We have looked poor in most of our home games (and most away games in all honesty!)...sounds like it will be short on quality then!
The good news for us is we have players returning from injury and managed to get some minutes in the mickey mouse cup on Tues

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Well after a few debates on here about local games v derbies, we add to the fun with the Not A Local Derby away to Oxford.

I’ve already mentioned this on here but this is a disproportionately big game for both sides, not because of the proximity of the two clubs but because both of us have started so poorly and are looking like less than the sum of their parts at present.

I’m predicting a draw from two sides likely to be nervy, low on confidence and afraid to really go for it, but if anyone *does* lose this one, it has to be terrible for team morale.

We’ve just had an absolute bitch of a run of games (Derby, Sheff Wed, Plymouth) and on paper, this looked like one of the more winnable games in that run - but OUFC will be seeing us as highly beatable too, and it’s hard to argue right now.
Frankly I don't think we look at any side as beatable right now! We are poor.

To be fair, we started to show brief glimpses of some reasonably decent football at times on Tuesday. We are still very fragile and easy to dispatch so it's far from a forgone conclusion.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Frankly I don't think we look at any side as beatable right now! We are poor.

To be fair, we started to show brief glimpses of some reasonably decent football at times on Tuesday. We are still very fragile and easy to dispatch so it's far from a forgone conclusion.
You guys are still our last win!
Whats gone wrong this season you have the players like Charlton it just doesnt seem to be happening?

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
You guys are still our last win!
Whats gone wrong this season you have the players like Charlton it just doesnt seem to be happening?
Our recruitment has been dire. Incidentally we have the biggest budget in our history and I suspect we'll be spending big bucks in January/next season... But on the face of it as things stand we've blown it on wasteful signings which have yet to justify the expense.

The issue on the playing side is we simply do not have the personnel. We are much weaker on last seasons squad yet our wage bill will be much higher. Lots of players shoehorned into ridiculous and unfamiliar positions. Some of it enforced by injuries. Some of it by strange recruitment.

When playing wing backs, our left-sided centre half has been preferred to a genuinely fit left wing back. That says it all.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Morecambe away. Not a game im attending so will find a stream. Last time I did that was Forest Green away in august and was suprised to be able to find one. Hopefully the same.

They’re bottom and struggling. Apparently they’re going to be without 8 first team players through injury, suspension and personal issues. Hopefully that means we can score early and put on a show but also wary that it’s a banana skin as we’re still a scalp to most teams in the league who try to raise their game for us. We’ve looked like scoring a cricket score a few times under McKenna and not quite managed it (although we have had a few 3s and 4s). An early goal for us and with then missing so many players and us being high on confidence right now, I’d hope this could be a game to finally put a team properly to the sword.

Morecambe 0-4 Ipswich
They made us work for the win last month by pure graft but are down there for a reason.

Quality turnout from Ipswich again

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
They made us work for the win last month by pure graft but are down there for a reason.

Quality turnout from Ipswich again
Have we sold it out? I assumed we’d be close or all but there bar a hundred or so. Long old trek is Morecambe.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
1700 allocation, sold around 1k per your OS
1700 allocation! Blimey I never realised it was that big. Felt smaller on the one time I went.

1000 is a decent effort. Would’ve guessed 1200 when I assumed the away end itself was smaller.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
1700 allocation! Blimey I never realised it was that big. Felt smaller on the one time I went.

1000 is a decent effort. Would’ve guessed 1200 when I assumed the away end itself was smaller.
Always been same allocation for us

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Our recruitment has been dire. Incidentally we have the biggest budget in our history and I suspect we'll be spending big bucks in January/next season... But on the face of it as things stand we've blown it on wasteful signings which have yet to justify the expense.

The issue on the playing side is we simply do not have the personnel. We are much weaker on last seasons squad yet our wage bill will be much higher. Lots of players shoehorned into ridiculous and unfamiliar positions. Some of it enforced by injuries. Some of it by strange recruitment.

When playing wing backs, our left-sided centre half has been preferred to a genuinely fit left wing back. That says it all.
Things are so bad at Oxford Eric Reid does not post anymore.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Wonder if any single player has won the award in three months of any season.
Couldn't resist a bit of research. Doesn't look like anyone has won it three times in a single season. Which isn't a surprise I suppose as they generally like to share the love.

There have been quite a few that have won it twice in a season. E.g. Michael Smith and Cole Stockton last year. I think Stockton is the only player to win two months running (August and September last year). Scott Twine only won once last season which is surprising.

NOTE: Just realised I've researched the EFL Player of the Month and not the Sky Bet Player of the Month (which is what Chaplin won in August). Had no idea there were two!

Last edited:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
I was feeling optimistic about our chances today but then have just seen they’ve appointed Sam Allison as the ref for our game. How the fuck this clown has blagged his way into a L1 game I don’t know.

As for today looking at Derby’s lineup it seems a mix of old fellas and some very young ones too. I would suggest with Davis and Chester at the back we need to be hitting balls down the channels to turn them and make them run off their spots and try to tire them out. If we go down the road of hitting high balls into the box that will be easy for them.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I was feeling optimistic about our chances today but then have just seen they’ve appointed Sam Allison as the ref for our game. How the fuck this clown has blagged his way into a L1 game I don’t know.

As for today looking at Derby’s lineup it seems a mix of old fellas and some very young ones too. I would suggest with Davis and Chester at the back we need to be hitting balls down the channels to turn them and make them run off their spots and try to tire them out. If we go down the road of hitting high balls into the box that will be easy for them.
If only we had pace!

He’s the plonker who gave Sunderland the most ridiculous penalty in the cup isn’t he? To be fair generally the referees we’ve had bar Bolton seem to favour the big boys anyway so probably no difference there.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
If only we had pace!

He’s the plonker who gave Sunderland the most ridiculous penalty in the cup isn’t he? To be fair generally the referees we’ve had bar Bolton seem to favour the big boys anyway so probably no difference there.

Ellis Harrison is quicker than people give him credit for. I believe they normally play 3-5-2 as well so to be honest I’d like DC to go against the grain a bit and switch the formation up a bit to 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 with Wilson just behind Harrison. Basically the old John Rudge away tactic. Probably unlikely to happen but that could be the way to go to frustrate them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!