Season Review

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Best game: Probably the 2-1 win away at FGR. We hadn't won for over three months and then we go 1-0 down after 10 minutes away at 2nd place. Jake Cole makes 500 amazing saves, Convict Pipe gives away a pen, 1-1, 92nd minute, Cameron Norman wins it in front of the away end. Scenery.
Honoury mentions to: ending FGR's nine-game win streak at the start of the season, the 4-4 at Guiseley (for a neutral) and Gateshead and Wrexham away, although I wasn't at either.

Worst game: Giving Welling their first win in five months at their place. Going out of the FA Cup at Maidenhead and the Trophy at Grimsby were pretty low moments. Same goes for Rendell getting injured on the opening day at Tranmere and Boreham Wood away where Yakubu and two others got injured signalling the end of our season, in August. Dover away on TV was bad.

Best team seen: Grimsby, comfortably beat us three times.

Worst team seen: Halifax at their place. Horrific. At a time when we were also going through a bad run we smashed them 3-0.

Best opposition player: Dan Holman. 14 goals went a long way to keeping us in the division and then he secured the title for Cheltenham. Amond also impressive against us.

Worst opposition player: Will Evans of Eastleigh. HOOOOOOOOOF.

Best moment of the season: Last minute winner at FGR. Getting it back to 2-1 at Altricham on a Tuesday night was quite good fun for 15 minutes or so.

Comedy moment of the season: Not getting relegated and managing to finish 12th despite not winning for three months. How easy it was to do the double of Aldershot. The four FGR fans who came round to goad the away end with 15 minutes left of the second half. Obviously we then went and scored a last minute winner and they went very, very quiet.

Villain of the season: The ref at Tranmere giving the weakest free-kick ever that led to Rendell getting injured. Boreham Wood's pitch that ruined Yakubu and two others.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
best Game - 1st 85 mins of Tranmere at home
worst game - last 5 mins + Injury time of same match
best opponents - Grimsby (then Cheltenham)
worst opponents - Torquay at home
best opposition player - none stood out that much (only saw home games)
worst opposition player - Exodus G at Torquay
best moment - signing Jordan Williams (given how good a player he looks now)
Comedy moment - Lincoln saying we couldn't afford Rheads left leg.....
Villain of the season - the tw@t of a referee at Forest Green - we were the best team for the first 20 mins then he somehow awards a penalty and sends off Danny Livesey - the red card is rightly rescinded on appeal, but that doesn't help when you've gone on to let in 4 goals

Blue Lion

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield
Best game: Forest Green at home. This was when they were top of the league and we came from behind to thrash them 4-1. Honourable mentions go to away wins at Grimsby and Wrexham and the derby win over Altrincham.
Worst game: Losing at home to bottom placed Torquay twice in two weeks. The league game was the worst of all - we gifted them two goals and lost 2-1.
Best opponents: Cheltenham were miles better than anyone else I've seen. You can see why they won the league.
Worst opponents: I hate to say it but Alty were terrible in the game at the Moss. A decent five minutes at the start but then faded badly.
Best opposition player: Dan Holman was the difference in our game against Cheltenham. Our players looked like they were afraid of him. He might have scored for Woking against us too but I can't remember.
Worst opposition player: Tom King for gifting us our opener against Welling.
Best moment of the season: Jack Sampson going in goal for 85 minutes against Dover and keeping a clean sheet.
Comedy moment of the season: Kristian Dennis' goal at Portsmouth - charged down the keeper's clearance and deflected the ball into the net. Fratton Park silenced by little Macclesfield....
Villain of the season: Torquay United managed to beat us three times this season despite being terrible for the majority of it (this coming before the upturn in form).

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Best game: Grimsby at home. I was terrified before this game, honestly believe that if we lost we wouldn't have won the league because morale would have dropped. Our performance was outstanding though, from good goals to even doing the dirty stuff well.
Honoury mentions to: Halifax at home, Halifax away and Woking at home.

Worst game: Gateshead at home. We never got going and they can feel very hard done by not to have got all 3 points.

Best team seen: As much as I hate to admit it, probably FGR. No-one else pushed us so close at home and if I'm being completely honest, they can feel hard done by in both games against us. Doesn't stop them being dirty fuckers though.

Worst team seen: Bromley were shocking at our place. Could see why they sacked their manager not long after losing to us.

Best opposition player: Elliot Frear is the stand out one for me.

Worst opposition player: I don't tend to notice shite players really.

Best moment of the season: The final whistle at home to Halifax, obviously.

Comedy moment of the season: The Grimsby fans meltdown over Danny Wright's "stamp". My personal favourite being a tweet referring to him stamping on their keeper's chest with all his weight. Yes it was stupid, yes he deserved the 3 game ban, no I'm not defending it, but he touched the guy's backside, it's not like he jumped from a height onto his head.

Villain of the season: Paul Hurst if he doesn't get Grimsby up. I've said since day one I want them to join us.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Best game: Grimsby at home. I was terrified before this game, honestly believe that if we lost we wouldn't have won the league because morale would have dropped.
Your players did well in that game to stamp their authority on it.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Best team seen: As much as I hate to admit it, probably FGR. No-one else pushed us so close at home
erm we led you at your place until the 80th minute or so and Haworth (who never got a look in with you last season) roasted your full back most of the game....

Andy Harrier

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Best game: Eastleigh at home. Probably the best we have played this season and a very enjoyable win.

Worst game: Stourbridge in the FA Cup. By some distance our worst performance. We basically sat back and played with one up front against a team two tiers lower and just let them dictate the game, resulting in our heaviest loss of the season.

Best team seen: Probably Forest Green. Over their two games against us they looked better than Cheltenham did over their two matches. Admittedly at the New Lawn we had 10 men for 80-odd minutes and then Hockaday took off our only striker.

Worst team seen: Aside from us at Stourbridge, probably Altrincham at Aggborough. They looked pretty hopeless that day, but still got a draw.
Best opposition player: Jon Parkin never has a bad game against us.

Worst opposition player: Is it cheating to say Reece Styche? Did nothing for us and then subbed within half an hour on his return to Aggborough with Macclesfield.

Best moment of the season: The full time whistle against Woking at home. That sense of euphoria after our first win for about six months was an incredible feeling.

Comedy moment of the season: In a gallows humour kind of way, Forest Green away. The chants of "Where've all our strikers gone" and "Pass the ball to Arnold" followed by cheers every time the FGR keeper was passed the ball lightened up a pretty horrific afternoon, which happily ended up being Hockaday's final game in charge.

Villain of the season: Referee Alan Young. Following a recent resurgence in form following wins against Boreham Wood, Eastleigh and Macclesfield, we were 0-0 in the last 10 minutes against Bromley. Evan Garnett runs through on goal, gets completely taken out from behind by a defender but the referee waved it away, only for Bromley to go and score up the other end shortly afterwards. The Bromley defender and manager said it should have been a penalty, as did the fourth official and both linesmen according to Gordon, which ruined any slim chance we had of recovering our season.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
erm we led you at your place until the 80th minute or so and Haworth (who never got a look in with you last season) roasted your full back most of the game....

I honestly felt we'd win that game even when behind. It was only when the final whistle went that I realised how late the winner was.

As for Haworth, he probably should have got more of a look in last season, I imagine at least he would have given a shit, he wouldn't even get on the bench this season.

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Best game: Barrow away. Probably our most complete performance on a sunny day at a nice club. Even the 5 hour drive home was enjoyable.
Worst game: Not the obvious 8-2 at Chester as everything they tried came off. The 4-0 at Alty was the most gutless performance I've ever seen.
Best team seen: Grimsby without a doubt. Led them twice at half time only for them to step up a gear and blow us away with 4 goals in each second half.
Worst team seen: Welling. Awful at ours, worse at theirs
Best opposition player: Bogle. Destroyed us twice.
Worst opposition player: Parkin. He was atrocious in the away game at FGR.
Best moment of the season: The final whistle at Bromley. Thankfully condemned the least enjoyable season I've ever had to history.
Comedy moment of the season: Pick one of Phil Smiths flaps at crosses. There's been plenty.
Villain of the season: The c*** that did the fixtures and thought that Grimsby, Tranmere and Barrow away in the space of 10 days was a good idea. 1600 miles and £150 spent on diesel and nearly a divorce. Wanker.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Best game: Halifax at home- combo of them being shit, us being great and Podge on form meant the 7-0 was completely justified.

Worst game: Halifax away/ Braintree at home (league)- both gutless performances. One where we somehow were 3-0 to a side in the relegation spots and lost 4-2; another where we registered one shot on target all game and lost to a terrible error after Braintree parked the bus all evening.

Best team seen: haven't seen many this season so Braintree: best defensive time I've seen in this division and are so well drilled and dangerous on the break.

Worst team: Halifax (see above).

Best oppo player: Kenny Davis. Ran the playoff home leg despite having the build of a builder. Non-league Pirlo if I ever saw one.

Worst oppo player: Lee Fowler. Despite sitting in front of the back four, the game passed him by and he constantly gave the ball away when he had it.

Best moment of the season: Welling 0-4 Grimsby. Looked like we'd gotten over our blip against Guiseley and Podge had another hattrick. Things were looking rosy but Townsend went back to Hull that day and things started to go wrong.

Comedy moment of the season: the meltdowns on our club's forum after every loss.

Villain of the season: there are several: Fanny Wright, John Brooks, Paul Hurst, ChrisFGR.

Edit: Fanny Wright was a typo but I'll leave it as it is.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
Best game - Grimsby at home. Outstanding performance and had no doubt we'd win the league afrter that.
Worst game - I've pretty much only seen wins this season (could only make it to 15 or so games) so I'll say Altrincham home, even though we won it was a pretty dire game and took a penalty for us to beat them.
Best team seen - Wrexham. Watched both games on TV and they were very good both times.
Worst team seen - There's a few. Bromley, Welling, Woking, were all terrible at our place. I'll go with Bromley just because of their comical defending for our 4th goal against them.
Best opposition player - Thought Rhead had a very good game against us last week, won everything in the air and held it up well. He's the only one that really stands out. Lot of our fans would say Frear but I missed both FGR games so can't comment on him.
Worst opposition player - Whoever played in defence for Bromley in our home game against them.
Best moment of the season - Halifax final whistle, pitch invasion. No contest.
Comedy moment of the season - The infamous Dan Holman free kick of course.
Villain of the season - Dale Vince, just because he's Dale Vince.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Best Game Wasn't at FGR, Barrow or the 4-0 win over Bromley, so will opt for the 2-0 win over Chester in the first Cheshire derby for decades.
Worst game Plenty to chose from. I'll go for the home defeat to bottom of the table Welling, the first game after Rovers legend Johnny King had passed away, if ever there was an occasion for the team to lift the fans... Instead, a gutless showing, culminating in them allowing Welling to walk in a winner.
Best opponents - Braintree, though didn't get to see either Cheltenham game.
Worst opponents - In terms of quality Chester. In terms of style of play, FGR, though I missed Eastleigh, apparently even more cynical.
Best opposition player - Akinola, a real handful.
Worst opposition player - Dale Bennett. Booked for time wasting in the first 15 minutes, took out Jake Kirby with an elbow, the spineless John Busby didn't even book him,could have been a straight red. Did nothing positive all game. Very surprised as he'd attracted some plaudits on here.
Best moment - Gary Taylor-Fletcher's goal at home to Torquay was one of the best seen at Prenton Park in a while.
Comedy moment - I'd go for the Dan Holman free-kick against Rovers too.
Villain of the season - Gary Brabin.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Best Game: Barroween- we took them apart. Fantastic.

Worst Game: we've had some stinkers this season but Chester away was probably the worst, particularly given who it was against. Only losing 3-2 flattered us tbh.

Best Opponents: Toss up between Dover and Braintree. Both very well organised.

Worst Opponents: Aldershot - just nothing about them whatsoever.

Best Opposition player: Jai Reason- looks like a complete pr*ck but great on the ball.

Worst Opposition player: Richard Brodie- waste of skin

Best Moment: Dom Vose wonder goal versus Gateshead

Comedy Moment: FGR failing to beat our 9 men.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Best game: Either Tranmere or Cheltenham at home. Nice weather, and wins over two sides expecting promotion.

Worst game: There were quite a few contenders. The 1-1 draw with Leamington in the FA Trophy in December, which marked the moment I knew we would get relegated. In the league, it was the 3-0 defeat at home to Chester.

Best opponents: Braintree, by some distance. Never got near them, they should have scored seven against us.

Worst opponents: Welling or Aldershot. Considering Welling had an excuse (ie they were already relegated), then the award goes to Aldershot.

Best opposition player: I don't often notice, but maybe Bogle for Grimsby, he was a real handful.

Worst opposition player: Again, no-one stands out

Best moment: the 95th minute winner against Cheltenham

Comedy moment: LIncoln keeper's keepy-uppy brain-melt.

Superobin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Best game - Quite a lot to chose from this year. Personally for me it was Halifax away where we won me 7-1. I'd never seen us score 7 before and it was just a ruthless performance. Honourable mentions to Grimsby and Wrexham at home as well.

Worst game - Altrincham away. 95 minute defeat (3 of the 5 were) poor performance where the players seemed like they only needed to turn up. Luckily there was not many more of those!

Best opponents - Wrexham when the visited us. Thought we were lucky to win the game. Ironically thought we were unlucky to lose the away game.

Worst opponents - I missed both games against southport but have been told they were poor both times. But from what I saw I'll go with Halifax. Can't be conceding 7 in a game (twice in a couple of weeks)

Best opposition player - personally I thought CJ Hooper at Gateshead looked very good against us and tore us apart. Also a mention to the lad on the right when Halifax came to us at the end of the season.... Macdonald I think.

Worst opposition player - Guthrie at forest green. Blatant cheating culminating in trying to celebrate a goal in the last minute after punching the ball into the back of the net!

Best moment - final whistle against Halifax, starting off a 2 week celebration with the fans and players party in the bar!

Comedy moment - STAMPIONIES!! What he did was wrong but let it go!

Last edited:

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
We want you to let it go but we're going to keep bringing it up when we know that what he did was wrong lol!!
You've got to remember, it's just not like him and he's really funny because he makes jokes about it. Great guy!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
You've got to remember, it's just not like him and he's really funny because he makes jokes about it. Great guy!
Yep, probably would have scored 25 goals for the first time in his career if he hadn't have done it but it was totally worth for that hilarious STAMPIONES Twitter post lmao!

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Best Game - Boxing Day - 2-1 win at Tamworth. We were 11 games without a win, all over the place and low on confidence staring a relegation dog fight in the face. We turned up a team transformed though and played Tamworth off the park and that kick started a 13 game unbeaten run.

Worst Game - 19th December 1-0 home defeat to Bradford PA. We were fucking dire. We looked limp,lifeless and desperately short of ideas. Bradford we pretty awful themselves but we made they look like Barcelona.

Best Team Seen - Harrogate Town Despite beating them twice I was very impressed by them. They were the only side Id seen who even have a chance of surviving in the premier IMO
Worst Team Seen - Hednesford Town - They were an absolute car crash defensively against us. We met them 3 times including an FA Cup qualifying tie and managed to score 11 against them without really ever leaving 3 gear

Best Moment of the season - Joe Leesley last minute winner at Tamworth in the FA Cup. After being outplayed for 75 we came roaring back and nothing beats a sweet last minute winner in the FA Cup for me!

Villain of the Season - Elizabeth Simms - One of the worst Referee performances I have ever seen.

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Hopefully the FOOTBALL GODS strike down upon Guiseley and Danny Wright for WHAT THEY DID this season.

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
Best game: 3-2 win at Ebbsfleet. They'd only lost once in the season prior to our visit of Stonebridge Road in late October. How we held out at the end still boggles me to this day.

Worst game: 3-0 defeat at Eastbourne. Abject, futile rubbish. Looked like everyone had been on a bender the night before.

Best team seen: Sutton United. Played us off the park in both matches.

Worst team seen: Gosport Borough. Nathan Ashmore bailing them out against us time and time again.

Best opposition player: Ross Stearn (Sutton), Vas Karagiannis (Maidstone) or David Tarpey (Maidenhead)

Worst opposition player: Matt Fish (Ebbsfleet) or Harry Medway (Havant)

Best moment of the season: 2-1 smash and grab win at Dartford on a Tuesday night. Totally undeserved.

Comedy moment of the season: Hemel supporters at Vauxhall Road on Boxing Day gesticulating the wanker sign to the away end after they've equalised from the spot (and we'd been reduced to 10 men). Less than a minute after Hemel equalised, Jonny Wright would restore the lead for us. Cue said gesture being gesticulated back from our supporters.

Villain of the season: Probably Alex Pike. To a neutral, I'm sure they would have enjoyed him winding up the home supporters after his Gosport side had robbed us of 3 points.

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
Best game: Of the ones I was able to get to last season, Maidstone away. We were immense that night, from the 2nd minute when Dan Wishart put us 1-0 up to the last, even with 10 men for more than an hour

Worst game: The 1-0 home defeat to Hayes & Yeading. H&Y are a poor side, evidenced by their eventual relegation. But we just couldn't break them down. As fortune would have it, it was to be our last league defeat of the season.

Best team seen: Other than us? Hmm, as mentioned above I didn't get to many games, so I would say Maidenhead just before Christmas looked more than useful

Worst team played: Havant & Waterlooville

Best moment of the season: Obviously winning the league at home against Chelmsford. Coming from 14 points behind after 16 games, with (an eventual) 26 game unbeaten run was a thing of beauty, and as long as I live I will only have happy memories of 2015/16

Comedy moment of the season: Hemel's goalkeeper scoring a last second equaliser against us at Vauxhall Road with a clearance from his own penalty area. At the time devastating, but in light of subsequent events rather funny. The collective meltdown of Ebbsfleet's online warriors (not Joe) between April 15th (when we got a slap on the wrist from the FA for playing an ineligible in one game) and 17th (the day after we beat them 2-1 to essentially seal the title) was hilarious. Oh, and of course the ongoing traigi-comedy at Carshalton Athletic

Villain of the season: Science for so far not inventing a time machine so I can go back and relive the season.

Champions

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Best game: One of the early season ones against tinpotters at home where we looked brilliant playing on good pitches.
Worst game: Guiseley away was an absolute disgrace to humanity, it's got to be that one.
Best team seen: Honestly haven't seen a top side all season. Cheltenham won the league yet we should have beaten them twice.
Worst team seen: Aldershot, woeful.
Best opposition player: Stefan Payne.
Worst opposition player: Exodus Geohagan, same as the previous 5 seasons.
Best moment/s of the season: Beating Tranmere away twice, ultimately ruining the coveted FA Trophy and playoffs for them.
Comedy moment of the season: The atmosphere at that Dover v FGR playoff "crunch" match.
Villains of the season: The whole of Guiseley for their disgraceful cheating and also the refs for failing to keep tinpotters out of the playoffs.

Paddy

Reaction score
Supports
Kingstonian
Best Game: besting at-the-time champions elect Hampton & Richmond Borough 4-1 at Kingsmeadow having come of the back of a spanking at Enfield.

Worst Game: our Christmas present to Dulwich where we were thoroughly dicked by 5 goals to our 1 goal which was sandwiched between defeats to eventual play off winners ETU & eventual champions Hampton.

Best Team: Definitely ETU. From nobody's to Conference South, probably surprising all other 23 Isthmian Premier sides in the process.

Worst Team: it was a season where any team, including ourselves, had a fair share of those 'WTF' moments so it's hard to single any one side out.

Moment of the Season: The man himself Alan Turvey joining K's fans behind the goal in the final of the competition that for the first season bares his name.

veggieeater

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Best game: Cheltenham home or Aldershot away, for different reasons, CTFC home was a great atmosphere and game, with chants of top of the league alternating as it went on to a 2-2 draw, Aldershot we played probably our best game and steadied the ship a little after 3 losses and 2 draws after our unbeaten run.
Worst game: Halifax at home, 4th game in a row without a goal at home (missed Woking). It was all going horribly wrong with little chance of a win or goal in the play off semi. Special mentions to Barrow and Bromley away loosing 2 goal leads
Best team seen: Tranmere, they were totally dominant against us at home, Grimsby just behind.
Worst team seen: Sorry Alty but you were really terrible against us, it should have been 6-0. Discipline all over the place.
Best opposition player: Nicky Deverdics
Worst opposition player: No stand outs but the guy who spat at Jon Parkin in front of the ref was probably the most stupid
Best moment/s of the season: The 9 game unbeaten run and getting to Wembley, hopefully the best is yet to come
Comedy moment of the season: The Grimsby inflatables, especially the naked flamingo (The Town shirt as its skirt fell off when they scored )
Villains of the season: Some of the refs are shockingly bad, Wrights stamp gets a mention,really poor, whatever anyone says. The Barrow fan who travelled to us and shouted orrible things all match- deffo not a lady is worth a mention too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!