Southend

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Rhys Murphy from Yeovil and former player Jack Bridge from Bromley

Good god, how backwards do we want to go. Phil Brown, keeping the majority of our perpetual losers on, handing contracts to the likes of White and Demetriou. Rumours of Simon Cox as a player-coach, now Jack Bridge back, again!
Feels like it's just the same old shit, different division, I wonder when we'll have appeased the football gods for whatever heinous crime we've committed.

#Beebot

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet, Maidenhead
Good god, how backwards do we want to go. Phil Brown, keeping the majority of our perpetual losers on, handing contracts to the likes of White and Demetriou. Rumours of Simon Cox as a player-coach, now Jack Bridge back, again!
Feels like it's just the same old shit, different division, I wonder when we'll have appeased the football gods for whatever heinous crime we've committed.

The early signs are looking very bad for you guys and the current season isn't even over yet. You already have a squad of 20+ contracted for next season which is just staggering.

Shrimper_95

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
The early signs are looking very bad for you guys and the current season isn't even over yet. You already have a squad of 20+ contracted for next season which is just staggering.
We only have around 10 first team players contracted for next season. The rest are mainly u23s and youths that are on the verge of the first team. We have offered new contracts to multiple players but there’s no guarantee that those contracts are going to be signed.

Shrimpurh

Reaction score
Supports
Southend
Meh I disagree with some players like White for example and agree for others.. I thought the same when I found out it was Bridge but a quick look through the internet appears Bromley fans are very happy with him and are gonna be upset to lose him. It’s genuinely surprising to see us doing stuff early though actually suggests there some sort of organisation/planning happening which hasn’t been the case for some time

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
We have 16 under contract. Offeted contracts to 7. Of those 16, 7 are under 23/fringe players trying to break through.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Meh I disagree with some players like White for example and agree for others.. I thought the same when I found out it was Bridge but a quick look through the internet appears Bromley fans are very happy with him and are gonna be upset to lose him. It’s genuinely surprising to see us doing stuff early though actually suggests there some sort of organisation/planning happening which hasn’t been the case for some time
The organisation and planning is fine, it's just where we're going with it. The latest is Will Atkinson coming back! I mean seriously, I know Ron has got the worst reputation in football and we're going to struggle selling the club to all but the most desperate waifs and strays but I genuinely thought Phil Brown did have a contact book that went past 2012.
The only player we should have offered a contract to is Elvis and only because if we don't we can't get a fee for him. Brown went on about contracts being torn up, a fresh start, nothing that has happened so far feels fresh, I fully expect to see Nile Ranger at pre-season training at this rate.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
We have 16 under contract. Offeted contracts to 7. Of those 16, 7 are under 23/fringe players trying to break through.

23 players is already a bigger squad than you need. It’s only five subs, so that’s seven players not getting in your matchday squad without even signing anyone.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
23 players is already a bigger squad than you need. It’s only five subs, so that’s seven players not getting in your matchday squad without even signing anyone.
None of the 7 have signed yet, so we've got 9 'pros' currently.
if they all do sign and these players are the basis for a campaign in this division then we'll be lucky to snatch 17th.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
None of the 7 have signed yet, so we've got 9 'pros' currently.
if they all do sign and these players are the basis for a campaign in this division then we'll be lucky to snatch 17th.

Ahhh I thought it was 16 plus 7. That makes more sense. Although it still doesn’t give you much room to freshen things up.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
All I can say is that every season we watch these teams come down, a few prepare in the right way, but many really don't. They have a long hard season to look forward to against clubs who are much better than they expect.

You can have one guess which way Southend seem to be going...

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
I wonder where and when the "welcome to non-league" moment will occur? My money is on our place, mid-August 2021.

Mansfield Town's welcome to non-league match report meltdown from 2008, posted on our forum a few weeks back:

"A gut wrenching display from The Stags at Altrincham that really cannot even be called a performance. This was the night that non league reality really thumped home. A tiny ground, home and away fans all sat together with huge posts in view of the action, toilets without lights or sinks ( and home fans share these! ) a thousand odd people in attendance and the Stags are behind within 11 seconds before most have even sat down.

We have had no choice other than to try and be positive in our non league "adventure", but these away grounds that we hoped would be a one season novelty visit suddenly seem a damn site worse after nights like this. OK lets visit them once if we have to but we don`t want to lose here and don`t want to come back!

Stags turned out in their amber shirts and some away fans in the seats commented that the directors were allocated seats not at the back of the stand as usual but behind the dugouts at practically ground level literally right behind posts that hold the stand up! Welcome to Alty.

Before we had settled in our seats and thinking surely to God we will win here we were behind with a ridiculous goal. Alty kicked off and literally ran directly straight for goal, amber shirts appeared frozen in time and what looked a weak if neatly placed shot creeped into the net in one of the most surreal moments I can ever remember watching a Stags game. Even the Alty players couldn`t believe it and nobody dared to celebrate as time stood still, the whole ground united in sheer disbelief. Then it was almost embarrassed celebration and cringeworthy to witness."

doveranddover

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
I wonder where and when the "welcome to non-league" moment will occur? My money is on our place, mid-August 2021.

Mansfield Town's welcome to non-league match report meltdown from 2008, posted on our forum a few weeks back:

"A gut wrenching display from The Stags at Altrincham that really cannot even be called a performance. This was the night that non league reality really thumped home. A tiny ground, home and away fans all sat together with huge posts in view of the action, toilets without lights or sinks ( and home fans share these! ) a thousand odd people in attendance and the Stags are behind within 11 seconds before most have even sat down.

We have had no choice other than to try and be positive in our non league "adventure", but these away grounds that we hoped would be a one season novelty visit suddenly seem a damn site worse after nights like this. OK lets visit them once if we have to but we don`t want to lose here and don`t want to come back!

Stags turned out in their amber shirts and some away fans in the seats commented that the directors were allocated seats not at the back of the stand as usual but behind the dugouts at practically ground level literally right behind posts that hold the stand up! Welcome to Alty.

Before we had settled in our seats and thinking surely to God we will win here we were behind with a ridiculous goal. Alty kicked off and literally ran directly straight for goal, amber shirts appeared frozen in time and what looked a weak if neatly placed shot creeped into the net in one of the most surreal moments I can ever remember watching a Stags game. Even the Alty players couldn`t believe it and nobody dared to celebrate as time stood still, the whole ground united in sheer disbelief. Then it was almost embarrassed celebration and cringeworthy to witness."
Season doesn’t start until 21st, so August bank holiday when they lose to Dover :lol:

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
We've offered Greg Halford a contract ffs
and the fresh start and tearing up contracts continues apace!

Season doesn’t start until 21st, so August bank holiday when they lose to Dover :lol:
Already lost to Dover in the FA Cup, so got that ticked off.
I'm awaiting live on TV, away to Kings Lynn, at least a 4-0 defeat. We've played Kings Lynn once before, FA Cup, beat them 9-0. It's nailed on that's where the 'welcome to non-league' will happen.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
and the fresh start and tearing up contracts continues apace!

Already lost to Dover in the FA Cup, so got that ticked off.
I'm awaiting live on TV, away to Kings Lynn, at least a 4-0 defeat. We've played Kings Lynn once before, FA Cup, beat them 9-0. It's nailed on that's where the 'welcome to non-league' will happen.
A lot of these teams at this level that you've never heard of, or even know where the place is are decent sides, and the ones that aren't know how to spoil, time waste, scrap and irritate their way to the points. The ex league clubs down here are way more used to it than you are and have that thousand yard stare that comes with one too many losses at home to Boreham Wood. You think you're mentally prepared for the non-league 'rock bottom', but you're really not. It has to experienced, and each person's rock bottom is different. There are support groups to help when you're ready

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
A lot of these teams at this level that you've never heard of, or even know where the place is are decent sides, and the ones that aren't know how to spoil, time waste, scrap and irritate their way to the points. The ex league clubs down here are way more used to it than you are and have that thousand yard stare that comes with one too many losses at home to Boreham Wood. You think you're mentally prepared for the non-league 'rock bottom', but you're really not. It has to experienced, and each person's rock bottom is different. There are support groups to help when you're ready
they really won't be prepared for the huge home crowds Boreham Wood get (not counting any away fans present)

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Because we've been down here for over a hundred years we've had lots of those 'welcome to Non league moments'- Losing 4 nil at home to Telford is a standout- but the one that really sticks in my mind is playing Dartford in the driving rain at our place about 6 or 7 years ago. They had just signed Alex Wall, who is a classic brick shithouse non league striker and he beat our team up for 90 minutes. I think we lost 3-1, absolutely rotten.

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Because we've been down here for over a hundred years we've had lots of those 'welcome to Non league moments'- Losing 4 nil at home to Telford is a standout- but the one that really sticks in my mind is playing Dartford in the driving rain at our place about 6 or 7 years ago. They had just signed Alex Wall, who is a classic brick shithouse non league striker and he beat our team up for 90 minutes. I think we lost 3-1, absolutely rotten.
He's signed for Woking so enjoy the reunion next year

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
That was our welcome to NL moment - losing in our first ever game at home to you.

We then outdid ourselves a week later with the Blancmange brothers at the back losing on BT to Maidenhead. That first season we had was rotten

We've had some terrible results/performances down here but you get used to it after a season or two.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
That was our welcome to NL moment - losing in our first ever game at home to you.

We then outdid ourselves a week later with the Blancmange brothers at the back losing on BT to Maidenhead. That first season we had was rotten

We've had some terrible results/performances down here but you get used to it after a season or two.
It took us until our third game to realise ours, we’d won at eventual champions Crawley in our first ever game here and then drew 0-0 at home to York then in out third game we lost 2-1 at home to Hayes and Yeading and the realisation then kicked in. :surr:

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Calling out FC Halifax as tinpot isn't the same as expecting to walk the league.

HAHAHAHartlepool calling anyone out as TinPot is not only Billy Big Bollocks, it's fucking hilarious! I KNOW who you are and where you come from. :fl::fl::fl:

Terraloon

Reaction score
Supports
Weymouth
As witnessed by the numerous last minute reprieves at the High Court it seems that Southend have a current history of playing loose and fast with the likes of HMRC.

Just looking at Shrimpers Zone and spending a few minutes on Companies House website to confirm it seems that SUFC are now two years in arrear of submitting accounts. Add to that I would not be at all surprised if even after allowing for delayed payment of PAYE/ VAT in accordance with concessions granted under COVID regulations it’s hard to believe that they are up to date with such payments

Will be interesting to see if the NL board allow matters to carry on or will they ultimately fall foul of NL regulations

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
As witnessed by the numerous last minute reprieves at the High Court it seems that Southend have a current history of playing loose and fast with the likes of HMRC.

Just looking at Shrimpers Zone and spending a few minutes on Companies House website to confirm it seems that SUFC are now two years in arrear of submitting accounts. Add to that I would not be at all surprised if even after allowing for delayed payment of PAYE/ VAT in accordance with concessions granted under COVID regulations it’s hard to believe that they are up to date with such payments

Will be interesting to see if the NL board allow matters to carry on or will they ultimately fall foul of NL regulations

The NL board are very erratic when it comes to who they censure. You just have to get chummy with them and they'll let you off

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United

There's an allowable delay due to Covid for production of the accounts. Still late but it's one or two months rather than 12

Terraloon

Reaction score
Supports
Weymouth
The accounts for the year ending 31 July 2019 had COVID not been an issue should have been filed by the end of April 2020 but there was a 3 month extension so those accounts had to be filed by 31 July 2020.

Here is what Companies House say:

“From 27 June 2020, more companies will get an extension to their accounts filing deadline. We’ll extend your company’s filing deadline if it falls any time from 27 June 2020 to 5 April 2021 (including these dates).

Private companyFiling deadline extended from 9 to 12 months

Its not extended by 12 months it’s extended to 12 months from the end of the accounting period

Well well overdue and the accounts for the the next accounting period which ended on 31 July 2020 were due to be submitted by 30 April 2021 so that means two years accounts appear to be overdue

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
The accounts for the year ending 31 July 2019 had COVID not been an issue should have been filed by the end of April 2020 but there was a 3 month extension so those accounts had to be filed by 31 July 2020.

“From 27 June 2020, more companies will get an extension to their accounts filing deadline. We’ll extend your company’s filing deadline if it falls any time from 27 June 2020 to 5 April 2021 (including these dates).

Its not extended by 12 months it’s extended to 12 months from the end of the accounting period

Well well overdue and the accounts for the the next accounting period which ended on 31 July 2020 were due to be submitted by 30 April 2021 so that means two years accounts appear to be overdue
For reference (I'm by no means an expert) but one of my companies year end as an example is November 30 (2020) and we got the accounts drafted in June (2021) with a view to approving July/August.

There is an extension which can be applied for (I imagine that would be shown somewhere on Companies House) to get these sorted however in reality that sounds very overdue to me!

Terraloon

Reaction score
Supports
Weymouth
For reference (I'm by no means an expert) but one of my companies year end as an example is November 30 (2020) and we got the accounts drafted in June (2021) with a view to approving July/August.

There is an extension which can be applied for (I imagine that would be shown somewhere on Companies House) to get these sorted however in reality that sounds very overdue to me!
Depends on what type of company but the chances are it’s a private company so for year end 30 Nov2020 would need to file those accounts at companies house by 30 November 2021.
The front screen of each record at Companies House shows the date by which the accounts have to be registered.
Simply put a club is in breach of FA rules, forget National League rules, if it fails to lodge accounts within deadlines imposed by the regulatory authorities.

Here’s the front page of Southend’s
SOUTHEND UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED(THE)
Company number 00089767
Follow this company File for this company
Registered office addressVerulam Point, Station Way, St Albans, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom, AL1 5HE
Company statusActive
Company typePrivate limited CompanyIncorporated on3 August 1906

Accounts overdue​

Next accounts made up to 31 July 2019
due by 31 July 2020
Last accounts made up to 31 July 2018

Confirmation statement overdue​

Next statement date 2 May 2021
due by 16 May 2021
Last statement dated 2 May 2020

Last edited:

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United

We're notorious for this, but a court has seen up to date accounts. Not the last court case in October 2020 (I think!) but the previous one (August?) the judge said SUFC Ltd had one last chance to pay HMRC, he also put in the caveat that the court would have up to date accounts, to the month of the hearing. It was stipulated that if the accounts were not produced he would wind up the company on the date of the next hearing.
The club did submit the accounts to the court and subsequently paid HMRC, why they haven't been submitted to companies house, who knows.
There was one point Ron and the club hadn't submitted anything for about 4 years, so this isn't too bad at all!

As you say it is a breach of FA Rules, but I've never seen the FA charge any club for this and Southend United are far from alone in not submitting company accounts to companies house on time.

Terraloon

Reaction score
Supports
Weymouth
We're notorious for this, but a court has seen up to date accounts. Not the last court case in October 2020 (I think!) but the previous one (August?) the judge said SUFC Ltd had one last chance to pay HMRC, he also put in the caveat that the court would have up to date accounts, to the month of the hearing. It was stipulated that if the accounts were not produced he would wind up the company on the date of the next hearing.
The club did submit the accounts to the court and subsequently paid HMRC, why they haven't been submitted to companies house, who knows.
There was one point Ron and the club hadn't submitted anything for about 4 years, so this isn't too bad at all!

As you say it is a breach of FA Rules, but I've never seen the FA charge any club for this and Southend United are far from alone in not submitting company accounts to companies house on time.

I might be wrong, and that wouldn’t be unusual, but the accounts as such wouldn’t be what the court /HMRC asked for indeed were looking at the accounts would be more about Corporation Tax which I would suspect for a club continually making losses would be nil as opposed to PAYE/NIC and VAT.

The accounts aren’t an up to date reflection of debtors/ creditors they would be interesting but wouldn’t reflect or allow any debt to be quantified and that was in all probability the point of the exercis.

Clubs do get sanctioned for financial issues and indeed failing to follow defined administrative process but the NL board has been hammered by clubs for not sticking to their rule book and from what I can read the reporting process that NL clubs have to follow ( or at least told they have to follow) is rigid.

But irrespective of all that just a quick trawl through Companies House records for admittedly not all but every NL club I looked up was up to date with their accounts so I doubt that there will be much sympathy when the fact that accounts are overdue etc is bought before the board.

Add to that I know that my own club had registered accounts as per the regulations but were mindful of the requirements to hold an AGM , again another FA requirement, which of course couldn’t happen without shareholders being notified and of course accounts being available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!