Tell us about your last away day

The Cards

Reaction score
Supports
Woking
Wow Kidderminster have really let their standards slip eh..........
My pie from kiddy was horrible and overpriced, never again. They're so overated.

Seventyseven

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay United, The Angels and the REAL Brotherhood
Set off from leafy Fordcombe at around 1pm for the trip to Hampton (and Richmond Borough Football Club). Junior informs me when we get in the car that he needs to get some cash. Well, that was handy, as I needed to stop for petrol and the petrol station had a cashpoint... win win in my book. Put in £30 worth of petrol, enough for the trip to Hampton (and Richmond Borough Football Club) and to cover the rest of my commute needs for the week. Paid by debit card as didn't have enough cash. Son got some money out of the cashpoint and treated me to a Mars Bar (he's a good son). Arrived at Hampton (and Richmond Borough Football Club) at around 2.20pm (might've been later or earlier, not sure as my clock in the car is playing up)... circled around to find a parking space. Found one. Enjoyed a lovely hot chocolate before the game kicked off. Drew 2-2 (but that's irrelevant). Drove home - traffic was quite clear for a Saturday night on the M25. Had a hotdog and jacket potato for me dinner. Good day.

Tom Fgr

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Set off from leafy Fordcombe at around 1pm for the trip to Hampton (and Richmond Borough Football Club). Junior informs me when we get in the car that he needs to get some cash. Well, that was handy, as I needed to stop for petrol and the petrol station had a cashpoint... win win in my book. Put in £30 worth of petrol, enough for the trip to Hampton (and Richmond Borough Football Club) and to cover the rest of my commute needs for the week. Paid by debit card as didn't have enough cash. Son got some money out of the cashpoint and treated me to a Mars Bar (he's a good son). Arrived at Hampton (and Richmond Borough Football Club) at around 2.20pm (might've been later or earlier, not sure as my clock in the car is playing up)... circled around to find a parking space. Found one. Enjoyed a lovely hot chocolate before the game kicked off. Drew 2-2 (but that's irrelevant). Drove home - traffic was quite clear for a Saturday night on the M25. Had a hotdog and jacket potato for me dinner. Good day.

I don't want to be 'that guy' but which fuel station did you go to and how much did you pay per litre?

Last edited:

Seventyseven

Reaction score
Supports
Tom... it was the one on the way to Gatwick... via Edenbridge and Felbridge... Copthorne... the one next to the APH airport parking place. The price was £1.02 per litre (unleaded).

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Agreed, and please try to remember which particular petrol station and how they compare to other stations - is their petrol cheaper? Do they have a large selection of noodles or is just chicken and beef? We all need to know this so we can plan ahead for future away days.

The Cards

Reaction score
Supports
Woking
Tom... it was the one on the way to Gatwick... via Edenbridge and Felbridge... Copthorne... the one next to the APH airport parking place. The price was £1.02 per litre (unleaded).
Quite a steep price then, next time head to junction 11 on your way around the M25 for £1.01 per litre, every little helps.

Seventyseven

Reaction score
Supports
There was actually a Texaco on the way thru from East Grinstead and Felbridge which had unleaded (and diesel) for 99.9p. But, like a fool, I carried on in the vain hope of finding it cheaper. It wasn't. Vanni... I only ventured into the shop to pay for the fuel and wasn't distracted by any tasty morsels on offer.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I normally use the train for my awaydays but I do have a rather splendid 2016 calendar of various petrol stations around the UK!

The only problem is, it doesn't tell me where they are. Maybe I should post some pictures on here to see if any can be identified. :)

Seventyseven

Reaction score
Supports
Go for it Les! .... it'll certainly help the rest of us next time we venture into pastures new....(providing anybody can guess where they are of course)

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
I normally use the train for my awaydays but I do have a rather splendid 2016 calendar of various petrol stations around the UK!

The only problem is, it doesn't tell me where they are. Maybe I should post some pictures on here to see if any can be identified. :)
I think that's a brilliant idea les, perhaps we could make it a forum game.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Petrol station number 1. :)

ps1.jpg

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Oh, and no doubt people will be wondering what the hell am I doing with a calendar of petrol stations.

My brother is a partner in a road haulage firm based in Barking and they deal with a company called Prax who supply fuel to various petrol stations around the UK and he gets sent a few calendars each year, one of which he gives to me.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Oh, and no doubt people will be wondering what the hell am I doing with a calendar of petrol stations.

My brother is a partner in a road haulage firm based in Barking and they deal with a company called Prax who supply fuel to various petrol stations around the UK and he gets sent a few calendars each year, one of which he gives to me.
I wasn't wondering, perfectly reasonable thing to have on a calendar imo:dk:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Us in the North may struggle a bit identifying these petrol stations as we still use horse and carts here and have no need for them!

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
The last away trip I went on was Gateshead, earlier this month. Although, as we all know, the stadium is the worst to visit on a wet January afternoon, but we secured a late 1-1 draw through debutant Jordan Williams. As a passenger in our car, I was fast asleep for most of the journey back to Cumbria, but I'm almost certain we stopped at the Southwaite services near Carlisle. My mate would have woken me up if it had been Tebay, because I never pass up an opportunity to visit their fantastic deli counter (both North and Southbound).

Tom Fgr

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
This thread is excellent. It should be renamed to away days stories, that way we can document every single away trip in a excruciatingly long depth manner from every single poster.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
The last away trip I went on was Gateshead, earlier this month. Although, as we all know, the stadium is the worst to visit on a wet January afternoon, but we secured a late 1-1 draw through debutant Jordan Williams. As a passenger in our car, I was fast asleep for most of the journey back to Cumbria, but I'm almost certain we stopped at the Southwaite services near Carlisle. My mate would have woken me up if it had been Tebay, because I never pass up an opportunity to visit their fantastic deli counter (both North and Southbound).

Tebay is a top, top service station.

SomeMightShay

Reaction score
Supports
FC Halifax Town
Twitter
@SomeMightShay
My last two away days have allowed me to witness the Lincoln and Macclesfield stewards competing for the wooden tabbard (worst stewards of the year). At Lincoln we saw stewards cheering on the home side paying absolutley no attention to the supporters the rest were stuffing their faces at the tea bar. I really have no idea what their purpose was as it seems the could have arrived in the 85th minte to stand by the exits and entrances and been equally effective. Add to this i got to witness the "two pound for a fucking cup of tea" chinese whisper passed among the terraces prior to kick off. On a side note we won one nil to a Sam Walker strike leaving my mate pleased as punch (he had him down for first last and anytime goalscorer).

Then we got the comical Macclesfield Stewards who had to contend with the equally bonkers ticket policy which allows fans to buy a terraced ticket and then go and sit in the stand unchecked saving £4. At half time when the rain started it some became obvious to all that those stood on the terraces would start trying to make their way into the few remaining seats. Macclesfields fluorescent monkeys (the same ones who refused to open the terrace last year despite every seat being taken and people having to stand on the steps and along the front) then decided to challenge (and i use this term in the loosest sense) anybody they suspected of deserting the floods for the Ark. However a question of "where is your ticket for" was met with replies of "i am just off to the toilet/snack bar/paint a remaissance masterpiece/wax my ferret" etc. Such fans then walked through the half arsed closed gates into the back of the seated stands and picked up a seat on their way back. Some were brazenly just exiting walking to the seated stand and turning straight round before grabbing a seat, the stewards on the gate never turned round to see the comedy behind them. The farce was accentuated at half time when those already in a valid paid for seat dare not leave their position for a brew/call of nature as the lump of a steward in front of the stand was not asking any questions of those coming from back from the kiosks/bogs, if they had seated or standing tickets. Makes me wonder what next year will bring. Oh and Keiths bar is a great little spot to spend pre match. Credit to Macc for allowing it to be open to home and visiting fans

Oh and we won one nil, i burned my mouth on my bovril, and nearly got caught up involving kids on bikes swinging sticks around on exit.

And if a halifax supporter is mocking your stewarding then you are doing something seriously seriously wrong.

AndyPark

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Last away day was 28th December away to Blyth.

Had a few swift pints in Darlington and a bit of breakfast before jumping on the train to Newcastle, went for a few beers in the gate (wouldn't recommend the Opera Piano Bar - extortionate prices for a pint of Fosters £4.50 :bl:). We'd already pre-booked a taxi from Chinatown to take us to the game (£23 for the taxi each way, isn't too bad when there's a few of us in it to split costs).

Anyways, got into Blyth around 2pm and went to have a few more beers at the pub that Darlo fans "apparently" smashed up. Nothing kicked off in there at the time. Got into the ground and in an attendance of 1800/1900 - I would say at least 1000 were Darlo. Not bad going for little old Darlo.

Seen a 1-0 win. Went home happy and got more pissed :bdick::2thumb:

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
An impeccable report detailing all the crucial points of a proper away day. Do you write for a living?

Grimsby away in 2013/14 was a cracker. Set off at 5pm, got there at 7:00pm because my driver decided going over the Humber Bridge was the better way and got disgruntled by the toll. Left at 10pm after a bit of dancing down the streets, got back at 11:30pm. No petrol stops, but it didn't need them.

Thank you for observing PH. I'll post a report from tonight's game at Dartford tomorrow. Spoiler alert - a learner on a moped crossing the Dartford Bridge will be mentioned.

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
I don't want to be 'that guy' but which fuel station did you go to and how much did you pay per litre?

More importantly, why isn't he using Ecotricity charging stations?

The_Boss

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield FC
My last two away days have allowed me to witness the Lincoln and Macclesfield stewards competing for the wooden tabbard (worst stewards of the year). At Lincoln we saw stewards cheering on the home side paying absolutley no attention to the supporters the rest were stuffing their faces at the tea bar. I really have no idea what their purpose was as it seems the could have arrived in the 85th minte to stand by the exits and entrances and been equally effective. Add to this i got to witness the "two pound for a fucking cup of tea" chinese whisper passed among the terraces prior to kick off. On a side note we won one nil to a Sam Walker strike leaving my mate pleased as punch (he had him down for first last and anytime goalscorer).

Then we got the comical Macclesfield Stewards who had to contend with the equally bonkers ticket policy which allows fans to buy a terraced ticket and then go and sit in the stand unchecked saving £4. At half time when the rain started it some became obvious to all that those stood on the terraces would start trying to make their way into the few remaining seats. Macclesfields fluorescent monkeys (the same ones who refused to open the terrace last year despite every seat being taken and people having to stand on the steps and along the front) then decided to challenge (and i use this term in the loosest sense) anybody they suspected of deserting the floods for the Ark. However a question of "where is your ticket for" was met with replies of "i am just off to the toilet/snack bar/paint a remaissance masterpiece/wax my ferret" etc. Such fans then walked through the half arsed closed gates into the back of the seated stands and picked up a seat on their way back. Some were brazenly just exiting walking to the seated stand and turning straight round before grabbing a seat, the stewards on the gate never turned round to see the comedy behind them. The farce was accentuated at half time when those already in a valid paid for seat dare not leave their position for a brew/call of nature as the lump of a steward in front of the stand was not asking any questions of those coming from back from the kiosks/bogs, if they had seated or standing tickets. Makes me wonder what next year will bring. Oh and Keiths bar is a great little spot to spend pre match. Credit to Macc for allowing it to be open to home and visiting fans

Oh and we won one nil, i burned my mouth on my bovril, and nearly got caught up involving kids on bikes swinging sticks around on exit.

And if a halifax supporter is mocking your stewarding then you are doing something seriously seriously wrong.
No punches thrown by any stewards of these two clubs though?

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Left for Altrincham at 11.30. Had already filled up with petrol at a local Sainsbury's for 98p a litre so when we stopped at the Away Day Footballing Hub that is Warwick Services, none was needed. Saw off a footlong steak and cheese Subway before returning to the car.

Arrived at Moss Lane at about 4pm so went into Manchester for a cheeky Nandos. They seemed short staffed when we arrived but soon there were almost too many employees when the 5pm shift started. Had a plain (Lincoln Pantywaist) chicken burger with chips and chicken wings.

Watched Woking lose.

Stopped for petrol pretty soon after leaving Alty. Got PRICED OUT by Shell for 112p a litre. The bloke inside had the Liverpool v Stoke commentary on full blast, so I quickly exited #AgainstModernFootball. Returned to Warwick Services which was empty. As we walked in, I recited the line "50,000 people used to live here, now it's a ghost town" from the Call of Duty 4 intro. No one knew what I was going on about. Got PRICED OUT of an Orange Tango and some Haribo Tangfastics.

Got in at 1.45am.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
112p a litre? That's fucking outrageous, must have been motorway services.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
August 16th 2014 - Barnet. Part time supporter now.

A group of us religiously go down to Barnet, it's the first game we look for in the fixture list. Luckily, it was in August so we'd be more likely to be greeted by sun as opposed to the rain, wind, snow, hail, thunder and lightning that we were subject to at Underhill a few years before (5-2 defeat I think).

I set off from my house at 9am and drove all of 20 seconds to my best mates house where the other four were, by some minor miracle, ready. TO THE HIVE! Nice and easy drive to Barnet. A46 to Newark, pick up the A1 and A1(M) and all the way down to Barnet.

First, though, diesel. I stopped at a BP fuel station near Damons and filled up. Not sure on price, probably around 129.9p at the time. Luckily, I'm armed with a Company Car and an Allstar Fuel Card so I didn't really take much notice. Then eyes started to wander. Opposite is Damons. Damons do breakfast. So, after a nice but pricey sausage bap (with brown sauce) and coffee (milk and one), we hit the road.

You can't go down the A1(M) and not stop of at Junction 17, Peterborough Services and you can imagine our surprise when we parked next to a 4x4 with Hamza Bencherif in the drivers seat with Tony Diagne and Sean Newton for company, along with other players in the services. A quick check of Twitter tells us that the team coach had broken down on route to the Sin Siro, so players had to drive down there themselves.

I always go left when I walk in to P'boro services and pass all the places with healthier food like Costa, WH Smith and M&S. It made having a KFC Boneless Banquet with gravy, an extra side of bean and a Fanta that little less guilty.

Then to The Hive. Small car park, but we got there in plenty of time and it was pretty empty, bar some parents waiting to pick their kids up from what looked like a development game that had ended just as we arrived.

Picked up our complimentary tickets and around to the turnstiles we go. Unfortunately not open yet, but we huddle around an iPhone to watch some of Man Utd vs Swansea. Turnstiles opened and whilst I don't mind being 'patted down' I was slightly unnerved by Arthur the steward who, when doing so, kept making eye contact and pat a little more than he perhaps did on others. Went to the small bar area, watched the remainder of Man Utd vs Swansea and then TO THE TERRACE!

Anyway, the game, blah blah blah, despite having to use jelly babies as part of the tactics board we're 2-0 up at HT, should have been out of sight, Barnet play better in the second half, we still had chances on the counter but we shaded the game overall and won 2-1.

Stopped at Peterborough Services again on the way back and opted for a McDonalds on this occasion. McChicken sandwich, chips, Fanta, BBQ sauce. Dropped everyone off, got home, had a shit, had a shower, met them in town. Apparently you can't walk through a McDonald's drive-thru at anytime, never mind at 4am so I had to settle for a pizza from a takeaway nearer the taxi rank. Got home at 5am.

The End.

(This is actually longer and more detailed than most of my English essays at school)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!