The Boxing Thread

shane

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Full of people moaning this is a disgrace due to the size difference, like they don't realise Kell is bigger than GGG :confused:
Jesus I would have been one of them if I'm honest.

Delighted for Brook and fair play to him but has Canelo camp bitched out of this?

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
I don't normally laugh at these things but it's just too easy to envisage Snr actually saying something like that.

Cm3A54pWYAAcY8W.jpg

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Wow. Eddie Hearn is a smug prick but he really has turned around British boxing, hasn't he? What a fight.

You know what, Kell's got a chance. I can't see him getting sparked out Khan style, but he'll probably get stopped or lose on points. Either way, his profile should go through the roof and he gets to keep his belt. Happy days.

Renegade

Show me what you got.
Reaction score
Supports
Trad Bricks
Full of people moaning this is a disgrace due to the size difference, like they don't realise Kell is bigger than GGG :confused:
Just looked up their stats, I'm confused. 5'9 welterweight Brook vs 5'10 middleweight GGG?

Another KO incoming.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Just looked up their stats, I'm confused. 5'9 welterweight Brook vs 5'10 middleweight GGG?

Another KO incoming.
Size isn't just height, GGG is taller than Tyson but he obviously isn't bigger. Trust me, Kell will be a beast come fight night, he's huge.
B55RWxqIIAEpGV3.jpg

George Reilly's Hairpiece

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Not sure I understand the Kell is bigger argument. Are you saying that you think come fight night Kell will weigh more than GGG, or that you think his power will come up the two weights with him and he'll be stronger than GGG?

If GGG dropped down to Welter for the fight I'd give Kell a very big chance. One of Kell's big strengths is that he is such a big welterweight that he can use that physical strength as well as his great boxing skills. I just doubt that he'll be able to impose himself at middleweight, and if he doesn't carry the same punching power then he's in for a very hard night.

I hope I'm wrong and he does have that strength and power, but I just don't see it.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Wow. Eddie Hearn is a smug prick but he really has turned around British boxing, hasn't he? What a fight.

You know what, Kell's got a chance. I can't see him getting sparked out Khan style, but he'll probably get stopped or lose on points. Either way, his profile should go through the roof and he gets to keep his belt. Happy days.

There's no way he hears the final bell, tougher stronger men than him have failed to and Golovkin has stopped everyone he's ever faced in championship boxing so I'd go for him blasted out of there around halfway. If he's goes further then he's pulled up trees. And what's this I'm reading about Kell bigger than GGG? Eh? GGG comes into the ring at 170lb most fights. And that's solid, strong, comfortably made 170lb as well.

Fast Eddie doesn't have much to beat though does he, Warren with no elite fighters on a channel nobody watches and someone like Hennessy who is absolutely useless as a promoter. Still Hearn can always say he was the one who brought GGG to the UK, but if his fighter is stupid enough to accept it then he's not exactly going to tell him no.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
There's no way he hears the final bell, tougher stronger men than him have failed to

Like who? I mean, what genuine elite fighters has he faced? If Martin Murray can take him 11 rounds, why can't Brook? I'd say Brook is the toughest fighter he'll have faced so far in his career. That's not to say GGG won't still trounce him like he has done with all the others, but I think Kell's got a better chance than most. I genuinely can't see Brook getting knocked spark out like Khan, but he might get stopped by being systematically broken down round by round. If I was a betting man I'd have GGG by a wide points decision.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Brook with hand speed and quick, scoring 1-2 raids I can picture him giving GGG something different to think about. But at some point GGG will get him in range and start unloading, especially with how cleverly and quickly he cuts the ring off, and you tend to think once a couple start landing Brook is going to feel them. I'm thinking an 8 or 9 round KO for GGG, but Brook not to disgrace himself.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Like who? I mean, what genuine elite fighters has he faced? If Martin Murray can take him 11 rounds, why can't Brook? I'd say Brook is the toughest fighter he'll have faced so far in his career. That's not to say GGG won't still trounce him like he has done with all the others, but I think Kell's got a better chance than most. I genuinely can't see Brook getting knocked spark out like Khan, but he might get stopped by being systematically broken down round by round. If I was a betting man I'd have GGG by a wide points decision.

I'm not talking about elite quality though, I'm talking durability and ability to take his power. Murray was a big middleweight and one of the toughest guys around but he was still put down 4 times I think. Nobody on here will convince me Brook has anywhere near a better chin than Murray, look at him v Groves the other week to see how tough that man still is. And that's a Groves who dropped 'iron-chinned' Froch.

You say Brook will be the "toughest fighter" he will have faced, but why? We don't even know if Brook can take shots from a welterweight puncher never mind someone like GGG, he's only ever fought Romanian taxi drivers in Sheffield arena apart from the close win over Porter. To be honest, the whole thing stinks of Brook wanting to 'out-do' Khan again because of this obsession with him. I really hope we don't see Kell pick up another 'injury' in training camp for this one.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I'm not talking about elite quality though, I'm talking durability and ability to take his power. Murray was a big middleweight and one of the toughest guys around but he was still put down 4 times I think. Nobody on here will convince me Brook has anywhere near a better chin than Murray, look at him v Groves the other week to see how tough that man still is. And that's a Groves who dropped 'iron-chinned' Froch.

You say Brook will be the "toughest fighter" he will have faced, but why? We don't even know if Brook can take shots from a welterweight puncher never mind someone like GGG, he's only ever fought Romanian taxi drivers in Sheffield arena apart from the close win over Porter. To be honest, the whole thing stinks of Brook wanting to 'out-do' Khan again because of this obsession with him. I really hope we don't see Kell pick up another 'injury' in training camp for this one.
It's not as simple as just having a better or worse chin though, is it? For a start, Brook is a lot, lot better than Murray is technically. It's not like he's going to get involved in a tear up, he'll probably (wisely) hide behind that great jab of his. He won't have to take anywhere near as much punishment as Murray did. Porter was being bigged up as the next Mike Tyson in the build up to the Brook fight and yet he hardly got hit. Compare that to Thurman the other week, and you can see just how good Brook is.

I say Brook is the toughest fighter he will have faced because he's the only elite fighter he will have on his CV. Golovkin is an animal, that much is obvious, but his CV is just as weak as Brook's, if not worse given his age. I'm a massive fan of Brook, and have been for the last three or four years, but I'm the first to admit he's been badly managed and Porter aside, hasn't been properly tested yet. I'm just glad he's finally getting the attention he deserves.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
It's not as simple as just having a better or worse chin though, is it? For a start, Brook is a lot, lot better than Murray is technically. It's not like he's going to get involved in a tear up, he'll probably (wisely) hide behind that great jab of his. He won't have to take anywhere near as much punishment as Murray did. Porter was being bigged up as the next Mike Tyson in the build up to the Brook fight and yet he hardly got hit. Compare that to Thurman the other week, and you can see just how good Brook is.

I say Brook is the toughest fighter he will have faced because he's the only elite fighter he will have on his CV. Golovkin is an animal, that much is obvious, but his CV is just as weak as Brook's, if not worse given his age. I'm a massive fan of Brook, and have been for the last three or four years, but I'm the first to admit he's been badly managed and Porter aside, hasn't been properly tested yet. I'm just glad he's finally getting the attention he deserves.

Brook is clearly a better boxer than Porter but Thurman shook Porter down to his boots a few times in that fight, which was more than Brook was able to do to him so I'm not sure Brook's power is all it's cracked up to be at top level either. I've no issue with admitting Brook is probably an elite fighter but that's at welterweight, this is just completely different. I think many fighters have a plan that they think will work against GGG but it's obviously a different kettle of fish when he's cutting the ring off, walking you down, piling the pressure on. I would have preferred to see Golovkin in with someone evasive like Lara if he's going down the Canelo route of picking on smaller guys.

Are we going to see Brook v Canelo at 155lb next year I wonder...

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Kovalev looked quite underwhelming in victory in Russia, taken the distance by tough Isaac Chilemba. He can't afford to take a huge Krusher right hand at any time obviously but I think Ward is going to box the head off him in November.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I see Eddie Hearn is talking up a potential Joshua fight with Kubrat Pulev. I think that would be a very difficult assignment for him and his first genuine challenge. It's probably a good fight for him (a wiley, difficult type who's gone with good opposition) before taking on the likes of Ortiz and Wilder (Wlad and Tyson are off the radar for a bit). Chisora would make money here, but he can wait for me after losing his own challenge fight with Pulev (and looking his usual one-dimensional, messy self in the process). He's near the back of the queue now.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Kovalev looked quite underwhelming in victory in Russia, taken the distance by tough Isaac Chilemba. He can't afford to take a huge Krusher right hand at any time obviously but I think Ward is going to box the head off him in November.
Ward is too good. He went to same 'I'm not gonna make the fight happen, but I'm gonna make you look a bit shit' school of boxing as Mayweather. Boring as shit to watch but you have to admire the sheer brilliance.

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
Brook is clearly a better boxer than Porter but Thurman shook Porter down to his boots a few times in that fight, which was more than Brook was able to do to him so I'm not sure Brook's power is all it's cracked up to be at top level either. I've no issue with admitting Brook is probably an elite fighter but that's at welterweight, this is just completely different. I think many fighters have a plan that they think will work against GGG but it's obviously a different kettle of fish when he's cutting the ring off, walking you down, piling the pressure on. I would have preferred to see Golovkin in with someone evasive like Lara if he's going down the Canelo route of picking on smaller guys.

Are we going to see Brook v Canelo at 155lb next year I wonder...
I didn't see much of that personally. In fact, given Thurman's reputation for having KO power, I thought Porter looked fairly comfortable and was still coming forward in R12. IMO it was only because Thurman is the more eye-catching boxer, since Porter is quite scruffy in his approach, that won him the fight.

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
What's the thoughts on Santa Cruz v Frampton? I know Santa Cruz is a clear favourite but I fancy Frampton to win this.
McGuigan is always bullish when it comes to his boxers chances but I think he's right that Santa Cruz's style is perfect for Frampton.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
LSC moves like his feet are stuck in cement, Frampton will box him at ease to a wide decision imo.

There's a nice double header taking place in Cardiff this sat. Rigo - Jazza (Mismatch but it's fucking RIGONDEAUX in the wales) and Williams - Corcoran (Quality 50/50 between two real prospects)

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Shitty treatment from Warren there but it seems to par for the course to mess young boxers about. I'll keep an eye out for his progress.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Shitty treatment from Warren there but it seems to par for the course to mess young boxers about. I'll keep an eye out for his progress.
Do mate, he's off to Vegas for a bit soon. His trainer has got him sorted with some training and sparring out there. Can only be good for him.

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Frampton currently a 13/5 underdog for Saturday/Sunday.

Still don't get why he's such an outsider, especially with British bookies. No way I'm paying for a fight at that time in the morning, when I'm up at 9, but has the makings of a classic fight.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Yeah I'm all over Frampton at that price. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Frampton will make easy work of LSC.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
LSC is a bit of a plodder but he keeps coming forward, throws loads of shots per round (mainly wild swings that look awful) but he piles the pressure on. I think it's a tough ask for Frampton, he might have to get up off the canvas again but he is one of those fighters who always seems to find a way to win.

LeylandWhite

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
LSC is a bit of a plodder but he keeps coming forward, throws loads of shots per round (mainly wild swings that look awful) but he piles the pressure on. I think it's a tough ask for Frampton, he might have to get up off the canvas again but he is one of those fighters who always seems to find a way to win.

LSC does keep coming forward like you say and it will be interesting to see if Framptons stamina is any better at the higher weight because he looked fucked in the Quigg fight and he only started putting any pressure on in the second half of the fight.

Looking forward to the boxing tomorrow night in Leeds aswell, fancy warrington to get a UD win against hyland who hasn't really impressed me despite challenging for a world title. I fancy Whyte, Campbell and Nurse on the undercard aswell.

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
Had the Quigg fight gone on another 2 rounds, Frampton may not have won. Unless he sorts his stamina out, LSC will be a step too far IMO.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Had the Quigg fight gone on another 2 rounds, Frampton may not have won. Unless he sorts his stamina out, LSC will be a step too far IMO.

Don't know about that, I thought the fight was on a knife-edge going into the last and Frampton produced a great 12th round that convinced me he'd just about edged it. Frampton showed why he was a real champion in that 12th round as Quigg had won most of the rounds from 6 onwards. The rounds Quigg won were more convincing that the ones Carl won in that fight so it's natural that he needs to win rounds even more convincingly there to get given them as LSC's sheer relentlessness and volume of punches will sway judges if rounds are close, seen it before with him. Frampton needs to hit him with something big early on, LSC is a good Mexican but he is hardly Morales or Barrera is he.

Looking forward to the boxing tomorrow night in Leeds aswell, fancy warrington to get a UD win against hyland who hasn't really impressed me despite challenging for a world title. I fancy Whyte, Campbell and Nurse on the undercard aswell.

You're the only guy I know who looks forward to watching Josh Warrington fight. I'll be having a snooze through that while I wait for the Frampton one. Whyte will destroy Dave Allen, who is barely even British level.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Harsh on Allen, he ain't bad but lack of prep will hinder him I feel. Had a dabble on him, Whyte ain't done shit yet either and Allen is an unkwnon quantity.

Gwarnn Carl

Last edited:

LeylandWhite

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
You're the only guy I know who looks forward to watching Josh Warrington fight. I'll be having a snooze through that while I wait for the Frampton one. Whyte will destroy Dave Allen, who is barely even British level.

I do like watching him it's just a shame he hasn't got any power but I also like watching skeete and nurse though so maybe I'm just a bit weird and enjoy the boring fights. I agree on Whyte I think Allen's talked himself into a beating.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Frampton is gangster

frampton_zpsosegmdcg.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!