The Delusional Manager Thread

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
ShoddyC nailed it. It’s no biggie it’s just funny, very apt that after all those opposition managers making delusional comments regarding Luton Town and their impressive budget and then the icing on the cake happens once promotion is sealed with deluded Jones of Bedfordshire coming out with a couple of beauties.

Surely you saw humour in it Ken? I found it funny and poetic and concludes nicely this entertaining thread. Personally I’ve never got worked up about what other managers say since Mystic Billy Davies used to drivel on for hours every Saturday just after 5pm.

Maybe I’m not as delicate as others on here

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I get the impression with Nathan Jones that he's just a young manager who has enjoyed success so early in his career and bought into his own hype.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the difference in budgets between clubs. It's a valid explanation for why other clubs aren't doing as well as Luton are. Fans want to know why their team wasn't very competitive in a match with Luton, well obviously anyone can see Luton have better players, and why do they have better players? Because Nathan Jones has been able to unearth a squad of hidden gems on a shoestring? Accrington being above them isn't of course proof that budgets are irrelevant any more than Leicester winning the title were, it just shows that budgetary differences can be overcome with a lot of nous and a dash of fortune.

If it wasn't a valid argument then Huddersfield fans would be demanding to know why they haven't been among the title contenders this season. Huddersfield don't need to tell their fans they have far fewer resources than the majority of other Premier League clubs because everyone knows how much money the big clubs have, but managers at this level do feel it necessary to point out from time to time because there will be a lot of fans who aren't as well informed as us and wanting to know why we don't have the players Luton have.

Older managers who have been around the block a few times know all too well how much budgets can affect success, they've sat through many meetings in their careers with owners trying to negotiate a bigger budget, and spent many hours scouting players they might be able to get for a steal, only for someone with more money to come along and blow them out of the water. There's maybe only a handful of times in their careers they've been able to go out and bring in a player who is almost guaranteed to be among the best in the division, something Jones has been able to do several times already.

Jones seems to take it all very personally. Not to take away what he's achieved at Luton but I think he wants to believe that Luton's success is entirely down to his own tactical genius and nothing else. He seems to be the one who cares about budgets more than anything, feeling the need to respond when the managers of clubs he's beaten point out for the benefit of their own fans that Luton do have a lot more money.

Quite amusing that the club with possibly the second smallest budget in the division may well pip them to the title. I just have a mental image of Jones at the head of the table ranting that a big budget won't buy you the title, while John Coleman strolls past him going 'too right it won't la!'

TommoCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I get the impression with Nathan Jones that he's just a young manager who has enjoyed success so early in his career and bought into his own hype.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the difference in budgets between clubs. It's a valid explanation for why other clubs aren't doing as well as Luton are. Fans want to know why their team wasn't very competitive in a match with Luton, well obviously anyone can see Luton have better players, and why do they have better players? Because Nathan Jones has been able to unearth a squad of hidden gems on a shoestring? Accrington being above them isn't of course proof that budgets are irrelevant any more than Leicester winning the title were, it just shows that budgetary differences can be overcome with a lot of nous and a dash of fortune.

If it wasn't a valid argument then Huddersfield fans would be demanding to know why they haven't been among the title contenders this season. Huddersfield don't need to tell their fans they have far fewer resources than the majority of other Premier League clubs because everyone knows how much money the big clubs have, but managers at this level do feel it necessary to point out from time to time because there will be a lot of fans who aren't as well informed as us and wanting to know why we don't have the players Luton have.

Older managers who have been around the block a few times know all too well how much budgets can affect success, they've sat through many meetings in their careers with owners trying to negotiate a bigger budget, and spent many hours scouting players they might be able to get for a steal, only for someone with more money to come along and blow them out of the water. There's maybe only a handful of times in their careers they've been able to go out and bring in a player who is almost guaranteed to be among the best in the division, something Jones has been able to do several times already.

Jones seems to take it all very personally. Not to take away what he's achieved at Luton but I think he wants to believe that Luton's success is entirely down to his own tactical genius and nothing else. He seems to be the one who cares about budgets more than anything, feeling the need to respond when the managers of clubs he's beaten point out for the benefit of their own fans that Luton do have a lot more money.

Quite amusing that the club with possibly the second smallest budget in the division may well pip them to the title. I just have a mental image of Jones at the head of the table ranting that a big budget won't buy you the title, while John Coleman strolls past him going 'too right it won't la!'
Spot on. I think what Luton fans really struggle with is that when managers talk about their budget, how it was funded is completely irrelevant. Whether you've sold a player on for big money, or the directors have all flogged their kidneys, the end result is still being able to purchase the best players and the best squad in the league

Chippy

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Spot on. I think what Luton fans really struggle with is that when managers talk about their budget, how it was funded is completely irrelevant. Whether you've sold a player on for big money, or the directors have all flogged their kidneys, the end result is still being able to purchase the best players and the best squad in the league

The point is, however, that no one ever seems to give the players on the pitch any praise. We all know our budget is up there with the biggest in this league if not the biggest, that's fine, but sometimes when you've been totally outclassed don't say "well they've spent a shit load" just say "they were brilliant today".

I don't see how it is that difficult, and why 90% of managers find it so excruciating to say when someone else has played well.

Jones, a lunatic he may be, has praised many a side this season for how they have played against us. It isn't difficult. Sometimes, someone else is just better than you on the day, regardless of how much money has been spent.

Others need to have some humility and some grace. It has been borderline pathetic on some occasions. Coleman, Slade, Sarll all with rather embarrassing post-match interviews after being beaten by us. Shaun Derry's after we beat them 7-0 was a hoot as well!

How much we have spent / will spend / have brought in is pretty irrelevant. Clubs have spent big money and failed just as often as they've spent big money and been successful, especially in the lower echelons of league football.

Get over it, when the white line is crossed it's 11 v 11 for 90 minutes. How much X player gets paid means shit all.

WAGU.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
“Get over it” indeed, it’s such a non-story. It’s commonplace, happens all the time and is a natural obvious defensive action by any anger who has lost or is under pressure. If not the opponents budget, then blame the ref, or a player diving, or a penalty not given etc etc.

As mentioned earlier, very easy to praise when you are winning. Again something you see all the time, from the PL to L2, even when it’s not true or accurate.

All managers are biased and deluded at times as Mr Jones has beautiful shown in comic fashion. The league table is there for all to see, it does it’s job rather well , the rest are just rumours

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Jones' interview after we scored our equaliser in the last minute at Whaddon Road has to be my fave interview of the season. As if little ol' Cheltenham should have just rolled over for the mighty Luton Town.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
The gift that just keeps on giving.

Thank you so much Kenny for starting this thread.

8 minutes of top class entertainment after we drew our cup final AND saw Collins walk - could only have been bettered if it had been Kevin Ellison's apprentice Hilts.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The point is, however, that no one ever seems to give the players on the pitch any praise. We all know our budget is up there with the biggest in this league if not the biggest, that's fine, but sometimes when you've been totally outclassed don't say "well they've spent a shit load" just say "they were brilliant today".

Loads of managers have said Luton were good. Luton fans and Nathan Jones combined are seeing criticisms that aren't there. Nobody's accused Luton of 'buying the league'; managers are simply explaining why all these good players are at Luton and not, for example, Colchester or Yeovil. Why do Luton want to be praised by opposing managers and fans so much? Is promotion on its own not good enough? If we beat someone I certainly don't expect the opposition manager to talk about how good we were.

Also you say 'clubs have spent big and failed' as though that alone somehow renders budgets totally irrelevant. How badly have they failed though? Failure is a relative term, if you spend big then failing to get promoted is failure, if you spend peanuts then you'd probably have to get relegated before considering the season a failure. I doubt there's anyone who has spent that big and not even been in the promotion mix-up. Spending X million pounds on a squad might not guarantee you promotion but you can't seriously suggest it doesn't help.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Tru dat. That’s why it makes me laugh when people on here say the absolutely peach comment of “see Accrington have proved you don’t need a big budget to get promoted”

Well of course not , Burton, Rochdale , Bury etc have all proved it in the past but they are not outnumbered they are swamped by the club’s who have the resources , crowds, budget spend on squad etc. Everyone can cherry pick one or two examples to prove their side of the argument but if you step back you’ll notice it helps massively

No guarantee obviously it’s sport, Too many factors , too many variables but there is a correlation. That’s why home attendances are far more important than away attendances which this forum seems to get a hard on over.

BelizeHatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Jones is definitely an emotional Manager in the moment of a game, who as he gains experience will probably even out, but for the time being he swings high and low. I've never seen a Manager be as reactive to and with the fans as he is on big wins, celebrating and living out his fantasies as if he's a player still. Then this carries forward for a while after the game as that emotion stays with emotional heartfelt post match comments - that are a very different style and temprement than his midweek and prematch comments.

I like him and his passion, but he's opening himself up to be shot at a bit as he's just riding his ego bit. He doesn't feel he/we get the credit he deserves and he's prob right to a degree as that's a whole new squad to bed in very quickly. We do come to towns with more fans than anyone else.. We so spend more than anyone else. Teams do raise their games when that sort of club visits as is proved every season in the FA Cup etc. But that's life in L2 and changes next season as we hit lots of bigger clubs and become slightly above average.

He's balanced his books worked within his budget made us way better whilst still in the black financially due to his wheeling and dealing. He probably d wants some recognition and just needs to learn to take it on the chin with better post match skills when someone nick's a win or a draw he feels is undeserved or the opposition is less complimetary than he thinks is respectful.

We are one of, if not the, biggest club in League 2. We do have a seige mentality as we have been fucked over again and again so we're feircely defensive and now have a Manager the same who's perhaps a but too open and honest post match. But. He's balanced the books sold more than he's brought in and while we're a little inconsistent he has brought success and made good changes on matchdays and behind the scenes.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
An interesting read, I applaud your seemingly unbiased and honest view.

Cov biggest, Luton second and long distance to 3rd imo for little it’s worth

ValiantRob

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
What are you expecting me to say? If I say one thing someone has a pop, and if I something else, someone else has a pop.

The bottom line is, Jones isn’t looking for excuses for being bummed x-0 like blaming budgets or officials. I think you’ll find after we got beaten by Port Vale, both the manager and the fans on here were very humble and praised the Valiants performance.
I think he blamed the pitch didn`t he?
Anyhow well done to Luton and if it saves us a trip there-fine but Stanley have been immense.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Jones is definitely an emotional Manager in the moment of a game, who as he gains experience will probably even out, but for the time being he swings high and low. I've never seen a Manager be as reactive to and with the fans as he is on big wins, celebrating and living out his fantasies as if he's a player still. Then this carries forward for a while after the game as that emotion stays with emotional heartfelt post match comments - that are a very different style and temprement than his midweek and prematch comments.

I like him and his passion, but he's opening himself up to be shot at a bit as he's just riding his ego bit. He doesn't feel he/we get the credit he deserves and he's prob right to a degree as that's a whole new squad to bed in very quickly. We do come to towns with more fans than anyone else.. We so spend more than anyone else. Teams do raise their games when that sort of club visits as is proved every season in the FA Cup etc. But that's life in L2 and changes next season as we hit lots of bigger clubs and become slightly above average.

He's balanced his books worked within his budget made us way better whilst still in the black financially due to his wheeling and dealing. He probably d wants some recognition and just needs to learn to take it on the chin with better post match skills when someone nick's a win or a draw he feels is undeserved or the opposition is less complimetary than he thinks is respectful.

We are one of, if not the, biggest club in League 2. We do have a seige mentality as we have been fucked over again and again so we're feircely defensive and now have a Manager the same who's perhaps a but too open and honest post match. But. He's balanced the books sold more than he's brought in and while we're a little inconsistent he has brought success and made good changes on matchdays and behind the scenes.
I did wonder what part the 30 point deduction played in those things. Jones might not have been around at the time but I guess it's rubbed off on him quickly, along with his natural enthusiasm. TBH it's Kenny we're taking the piss out when we call Jones delusional, rather than Jones himself. We just think it's funny he started this whole thread when his own manager comes out with some right pearlers.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Get over it, when the white line is crossed it's 11 v 11 for 90 minutes. How much X player gets paid means shit all.
It doesn't mean shit all. If it did, teams like Leicester would win the Premier League all the time. But there is a reason why it's Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, that dominate the trophies and league. Look at the Championship. Wolves are being led by a moneybags owner who spent £18m on a player from Porto. Most teams at that level couldn't spend that much in 5 seasons, let alone on one player. Then there is League One, where Wigan and Blackburn have beaten Shrewsbury to the top 2, mostly thanks to what are probably vastly superior budgets.

Yes, there are those Shrewsburys, Accrington's, Macclesfield's. But they are outliers. Not the norm. 95% of the time, having a big budget will count for you. And having no money will count against you.

Shoddy nailed it with Jones. I thought the same on Sunday when I saw his comments. His first job is with a big League Two team, which finished 4th and then 2nd(in all liklihood). All he's known is winning as a manager. All he's known is his team being better than the opposition for most of the games he's seen. He hasn't had back to back defeats in his 2 years in charge. He hasn't had to deal with a long run of poor form, a losing streak etc. He hasn't had to learn the humility of coming up against a bigger and badder team than his, which he will encounter next season.

His comments are ridiculous, but he'll learn as he goes along. The comments are from a manager that has had a head start in his career. Hopefully he'll mature as he encounters bumps in the road.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
What are you talking about? Lincoln are angels, as close as we've ever had to the Brazil side of the 60's.
We are at the minute - bottom (or top depending on which way you read these things) of the Fair Play Table.

Europe here were come (assuming our blue passports come through in time).

EDIT - Not anymore. 3rd bottom after the Exeter game.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We are at the minute - bottom (or top depending on which way you read these things) of the Fair Play Table.

Europe here were come (assuming our blue passports come through in time).

EDIT - Not anymore. 3rd bottom after the Exeter game.
was gonna say, I'm pretty sure were the ones in that position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!