The Dull Davis Not-so-Clasico - Barnsley vs Crewe

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
I think he comes across as an arrogant arse hole.

SRNP

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Steve Davis isn't a nice bloke at all "the alex", he broke up the Alex supporting initiative, he's fucked around with alot of players futures and told some to fuck off from what i've heard. For half a season he never turned up to training if some reports are to be believed, he's bullshitted his way though interviews claiming our board has given him no money when in fact he's spent nearly half a million on transfers in 4 seasons and put his son on the highest contract in the club currently. He's a liar, a horrible horrible man behind the scenes and punching well above his level. Highest paid manager in the division.....he can fuck off.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Woah woah woah. Sorry, that post is just ridiculous. Broke up the supporters initiative? I could have sworn they gave it up because the people who ran it wanted to give it up and there wasn't enough interest to keep it going. What's that got to do with Davis?

I'll give you the bit about messing with players, I totally agree. Billy Waters being the latest example. Jon Guthrie is another who has been treated awfully by Davis in the last 2 years. His man management has been abysmal and I can fully believe he's told some players to do one.

Never turned up to training? Yeah, don't buy it, sorry. Claimed the board has given him no money? No, your mixing that up with some fans claims. He's never said he's not been backed. As for what he's spent, it isn't half a million. Half that and you're about there. And you could argue his net spend is still in profit given Clayton and Pogba went for around £400k between them.

Harry on the highest contract? I can believe that, but I'd be interested to see you or anyone else prove it. A liar? Name me one thing he's lied about? A horrible man behind the scenes. I beg to differ. I've frequently chatted to him after games and he's always been courteous, honest and open. As a manager, he is woefully lacking, that's obvious. And I'm sure some players have had some bitter exchanges with him. But any accusations about his character behind the scenes are from the players, I highly doubt any fan has had a horrible experience with him.

And finally, highest paid manager in division? You aren't serious are you? Did you misspell lowest? Given what the likely salaries of managers like Adkins, Caldwell and Mowbray are on to name a few, there is no way he is on a huge salary at the Alex, not a chance.

Sorry SNRP, but if you are going to criticise the bloke, at least get your facts straight and base your argument on what you can see, not downright lies, rumours and chinese whispers that you've taken as gospel.

The Alex

VF16’s worst enemy.
Reaction score
Supports
The Vale
Well JJ's post answers that for you SRNP. "Courteous, honest and open" is exactly how he comes across. To describe him as a horrible horrible man is a bit pathetic really, might not be a good manager but I've always appreciated his conduct in the most part.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Woah woah woah. Sorry, that post is just ridiculous. Broke up the supporters initiative? I could have sworn they gave it up because the people who ran it wanted to give it up and there wasn't enough interest to keep it going. What's that got to do with Davis?

I know a rough idea of what had happened given I spoke to the organisers about it at Peterborough away in March 2014. Davis was only accountable for a pretentious (in the eyes of the organisers) end of season black tie party at what the ASi regarded as a "working class club" but other personnel within the club were far more responsible for its disbanding than Davis. The club however told the organisers to pay an astronomical lump sum to present an award at one of the end of season parties which led to a boycott by many in the ASi. It was a shame that the ASi disbanded but it was through no fault of the organisers and it was personnel higher up in the club than Davis who were to blame for its winding up.

I'll give you the bit about messing with players, I totally agree. Billy Waters being the latest example. Jon Guthrie is another who has been treated awfully by Davis in the last 2 years. His man management has been abysmal and I can fully believe he's told some players to do one.

Waters, Guthrie, Kelvin Mellor, James Baillie, LDV, the list could go on. This is the main reason I want him sacked irrespective of league form. He just can't get the best out of the reasonable tools (no pun intended) at his disposal.

Never turned up to training? Yeah, don't buy it, sorry. Claimed the board has given him no money? No, your mixing that up with some fans claims. He's never said he's not been backed. As for what he's spent, it isn't half a million. Half that and you're about there. And you could argue his net spend is still in profit given Clayton and Pogba went for around £400k between them.

Until this season Davis tended to be laissez-faire on the training ground from what I believe and left a lot of the workload to his coaches. The well documented failures of Andy Franks in the fitness department though has meant Davis has taken a more hands-on approach at Reaseheath than usual and we can see that the players do look fitter on the field, it's just mental problems and a lack of ruthlessness in front of goal and a lack of tactical discipline that must be rectified now, sadly it seems too much for Steve to handle.. Fans who claim Davis hasn't been backed are very foolish. We've spent more on transfer fees in the last 3 years than Port Vale have in the last 15! That said, Davis' transfer market acumen is pretty much a solid 2/10.

That the likely salaries of managers like Adkins, Caldwell and Mowbray are on to name a few, there is no way he is on a huge salary at the Alex, not a chance.

From what I believe he's the highest paid club employee on the books earning around £90K-£100K a year. I'd say it's an average wage for a manager in this division. But with all due respect, despite his ineptitude now I acknowledge that he did deserve that wage for his previous successes. But I do feel like we've given him far too much time and far too many chances so would much rather pay him off and bring in someone new, although the underlying boardroom problems would still remain. Club needs a total clearout from top to bottom.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Being honest I'm just not interested enough to care until he's gone. I used to be as hardcore a Crewe fan you could get, but Davis's dull football, rubbish excuses have kicked everything out of me. In fact at the moment I probably look to see what the Nantwich Town score is first.

I'd love to have the passion for my home town football club back, like it was a decade or so ago, but under the tenur of the dull one, its just not going to happen.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
I just can't believe some of our fans make out like he's bigger than the club because of his previous success. It makes me question have a lot of our recent support only supported us since the first trip to Wembley? Because the majority of supporters I've been with over the last 15 years want him in the queue at the job centre on Monday morning.

You back the team, managers come and go, some of our fans genuinely think you have to give supreme and unquestioned loyalty to the manager. Davis will blame injuries and international call ups for our inevitable defeat today so let's just skip this game. We as fans have to make our anger known to the board and Davis starting from next week's home game like we did with Holland. But it's so obvious a lot of our fans just can't be arsed anymore and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Piss off Barnsley you useless Yorkshire puddings.

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
Joke club, done, not wasting another penny until things change.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
What is it about Davis that Crewe fans hate so much? I'm not suggesting you're wrong for a second this is just a genuine question because from the outside looking in he seems to be doing alright, Crewe probably are the type of club that yo yo between L1/L2 and staying up in L1 is an achievement.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
What is it about Davis that Crewe fans hate so much? I'm not suggesting you're wrong for a second this is just a genuine question because from the outside looking in he seems to be doing alright, Crewe probably are the type of club that yo yo between L1/L2 and staying up in L1 is an achievement.

3 seasons of being bottom in the league in October. His alienation and poor man management of players. The poor football we play. The lack of exciting attacking prospects being sold on like they were under Dario. Worst home form I've ever seen in 15 years of supporting us. His continued excuses. Saying all his critics aren't "real fans" just because they disagree with him. I could go on and on.

We're just not competitive in games, like today we only had 5 shots all game and the winner came off Dalla Valle's chest in a half where we only attacked twice. We just play for narrow tight wins/draws every week and we never take a game to the opposition like we always used to under Dario. I can't remember the last time we've out-shot a team.

We're all realistic fans and we know we'll never get promoted from this division but it's the dour predictability, the awful defending, the sheer lack of creativity in midfield and goal-shy strikers each season which have led to mass disillusionment between us and Davis.

RotherhamDale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Joke club, done, not wasting another penny until things change.

The callers on radio Sheffield said that you played well...

'We need two strikers' they also said. I'm sure their tactical knowledge is tip top.

The Alex

VF16’s worst enemy.
Reaction score
Supports
The Vale
What exactly is "alright" about playing terribly every week, losing and being rock bottom?

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
7 points from our last 3 away games, and we are still bottom. That goes a long way towards answering that question.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
What exactly is "alright" about playing terribly every week, losing and being rock bottom?

I didn't know you were playing terribly, hence my question. But Crewe being bottom of League One is hardly a disgrace, it's not like you're a mid table League One club, I'd say you're a similar sized club to us so I'm not slagging Crewe off at all.

I'm not for one second saying Crewe fans are wrong, I'm just asking.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
3 seasons of being bottom in the league in October. His alienation and poor man management of players. The poor football we play. The lack of exciting attacking prospects being sold on like they were under Dario. Worst home form I've ever seen in 15 years of supporting us. His continued excuses. Saying all his critics aren't "real fans" just because they disagree with him. I could go on and on.

We're just not competitive in games, like today we only had 5 shots all game and the winner came off Dalla Valle's chest in a half where we only attacked twice. We just play for narrow tight wins/draws every week and we never take a game to the opposition like we always used to under Dario. I can't remember the last time we've out-shot a team.

We're all realistic fans and we know we'll never get promoted from this division but it's the dour predictability, the awful defending, the sheer lack of creativity in midfield and goal-shy strikers each season which have led to mass disillusionment between us and Davis.

That's the sort of answer I was after.

Fair enough.

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
The callers on radio Sheffield said that you played well...

'We need two strikers' they also said. I'm sure their tactical knowledge is tip top.

They're not playing badly, that isn't the issue, but they are utilising negative tactics and it's become tedious.

I have other activities I enjoy wasting my disposable income at the moment a hell of a lot more than 3rd tier football.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Well, first half I felt we matched Barnsley. Scored a decent goal from a Colclough free kick. It was reminiscent of Eriksen's first against Swansea last week. Great hit. But then, in typical Crewe fashion, we concede from a corner straight away. Like I said, pretty even first half. Both sides happy to sit off and let the other player. However, the Crewe of old would have punished Barnsley for their lax pressing in the first half.

2nd half and Barnsley wised up. Pressed us and surprise surprise, we fall to peices. Seriously, it's so so easy to play against us. Close us down quickly and we'll fold like nobodys business. Thats what Barnsley did and they dominated because of it. I think in the first 35 minutes of the 2nd half, we managed one foray forward and that came to nothing. A seriously pathetic performance, but thankfully Barnsley, like Shrewsbury, were so inept they couldn't score. They didn't even have that many chances. Then, with our first attack, we get the ball wide to King, he clips in a cross and LDV chests it towards goal. Their keeper seemed so taken aback, he could only palm it into the net. 2nd goal of the season for LDV and the 2nd complete fluke. This was more deliberate, but still very lucky.

After that, we held them off well.

First half, very even, but then Barnsley were playing in 1st gear and allowing us to play. 2nd half once they got their act together, they put us under pressure and I can understand why they will feel they should have won. However, they simply didn't create enough in the 2nd half and they didn't score, so only have themselves to blame. We were very fortunate to win the game, it was a smash and grab. It'll be business as usual most likely next week when we lose to Gillingham and Burton. This win counts for very little really.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
I didn't know you were playing terribly, hence my question. But Crewe being bottom of League One is hardly a disgrace, it's not like you're a mid table League One club, I'd say you're a similar sized club to us so I'm not slagging Crewe off at all.
Hold up a second. What do you mean by this exactly? Why aren't we a mid table League One club? Or why can't we hope to become one?

SRNP

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I'm so fucked off we won this. Fuck you Barnsley. Fuck you Steve Davis, Fuck you.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Said it all before. It's pure purgatory. There's no escaping. We can all spend the week pretending we've turned a corner and we'll out of this mess by Halloween. The fact we were soundly 2nd best against another poor side can be ignored, we don't have to mention that backs against the wall defending against friggin' Barnsley is nothing to celebrate and at least we can pretend LDV's goal was a touch of class we'll see every week from now on.

No stopping our charge for 20th place now. Just another 8 months of this, then we can all give Davis a big pat on the back and look excitedly at who he has in store to replace Garratt, Colclough and Inman. The Oliver Turton cloning machine won't be ready for a couple of years yet.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
Hold up a second. What do you mean by this exactly? Why aren't we a mid table League One club? Or why can't we hope to become one?

I'd say clubs like us, Crewe, Rochdale, Bury are all similar size clubs, so we're League One/League 2 level, so it's not like Crewe being bottom of League One is wrong, it's where clubs of our size would expect to be and most outsiders would predict us to be. I wasn't saying you can't hope to become one.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I'd say clubs like us, Crewe, Rochdale, Bury are all similar size clubs, so we're League One/League 2 level, so it's not like Crewe being bottom of League One is wrong, it's where clubs of our size would expect to be and most outsiders would predict us to be. I wasn't saying you can't hope to become one.

Bury are 4th. Rochdale are becoming a comfortable League One club.

I get the point, especially with it coming from a Stockport fan. But I disagree. Especially when it is actually our club's official excuse. There was no reason we should have gone down 5/6 years ago with the resources we had. There is absolutely no way we should have to accept being a L1/L2 yo yo team. But it's being forced on us by shitty management throughout the club.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Why stop there? Walsall are now in their 9th league one season. Yeovil were here for 8 seasons before they got promoted.

What annoys me most about this line of thinking is that some make mid table league one finishes to be some sort of Everest esq target that is incredible to reach for. It isn't. The bottom half of L1 over the last few years has been awful. Last season, we were shite for 2/3rd of the season and still stayed up because there were 4 teams more inept than us. That's pretty incredible given how inept we were.

Mid table finishes in L1 are more than achieveable for us. Why? Because we are only struggling because of the management. People will blame the budget, but the poor decisions over the last 2-3 years far outweigh that. They've made wrong decisions with transfers again and again and again. The way they coach the players, the way they set them up, the way they believe we need to approach the game is just wrong. But most importantly of all, they buy all this stuff about budgets reflecting league position. They accept this defeatist attitude that having a poor budget means 20th is all we can ever hope for. They can't see that having this attitude is only going to destroy the club. Because if they accept 20th as the best we can do, that means we'll have lost half our games, won't have scored many and will have been terrible for most of the season. That means we won't sell any players for any decent money, or if we do the money will all be rolled into keeping the club afloat. That means we'll have a smaller and smaller budget and worse and worse players.

What we need is a new external manager who has the desire to do well. Who wants to do well even if it's just to further his own career. When Davis first came in, he was ambitious and wanted to win for his career. Hence the first 18 months. But he didn't get the dream moves he wanted to Wolves and Burnley and after 2 years of struggling football, he knows the best he can hope for now is to cling onto his job with us. So what we need is a fresh manager who's reputation isn't in the mud. A new manager who won't accept the board's negativity and wants to see us overachieve. Our issues won't end by firing Davis, but I'd wager it would solve a decent number of them.

Jamo

Reaction score
Supports
Barnsley
The absolute state of us yesterday. Crewe were basically willing us to score for the entire game by constantly standing off, sitting back and inviting pressure, and we scored once from a corner. Exactly the same as at Doncaster last week, allowed to dominate possession, did nothing with it then got hit by a sucker punch at the end. We must have floated about 46 balls to the back stick where no-one attacked it, Crewe put one drilled cross in and got their winning goal. For the free kick there was a a laughably big gap which their lad exploited with, admittedly, an absolute thriker. Crewe were absolutely there for the taking today, although they did knock it around quite nicely to my surprise, but our players just didn't look bothered. Very disappointed with our last two results and I just can't understand the recent attitude and application of the same players that have beaten Gillingham and Burton this season.

Good luck for the season Crewe lads, you've a job on to stay up but it's not impossible. And for christ's sake cheer up a bit and enjoy a rare away win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!