The Gas and the Jordanians

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Have Swindon realised Brizzle City are out of their league so have turned attentions to Brovers?

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Have Swindon realised Brizzle City are out of their league so have turned attentions to Brovers?
That goes without saying. The Swindon / BCFC thing was fun last year though.
On the takeover, I'm with the majority and am glad to see the gas heads on here haven't gone all billy big time on us.
I'm sure it's a great feeling to see your club financially safe for a change but let's wait and see what Al Qadi does. He has said the stadium is obviously important which is correct and although he was a bit vague in his press conference yesterday, I'm sure he will give clarity once the court case has finished.
I liked the cut of his 'organic growth' comments yesterday. We have learnt that spending huge sums on players wages doesn't work particularly well and doesn't lead to a stable club. Given what he said yesterday, I wouldn't expect huge sums to be spent but improvement of the facilities and non match day stuff (the UWE is in a perfect position for that) which should mean a higher available budget given time. The experience will certainly change from the Mem to the out of town UWE!
Nice that both Bristol clubs have a few quid now but part of me wonders how Rovers will get on now they can't be classed as 'ragbag' any more? I'm well into my 40's and the gas' strength has always been a 'we don't have anything and we'll show them' attitude. I bloody hated it but it worked. Now they do have cash, I will watch with interest.
Congratulations gas heads.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Just been looking at AJIB's financial statements as at 31 Dec 2014. As of that point AJIB have total assets of £1.7 billion. This is the figure that gasheads seem to be creaming themselves over. Unfortunately for you, they also have liabilities of £1.5 billion. This leaves the business with approx net assets of £200m. £197m of this is attributable to the banks shareholders. Then you have to consider that the Al Qadi family own a 30% share of the business, leaving them with approx 60m+ net worth. I know they also have investment in other businesses but this bank is their main source of wealth. I also know that these figures may have increased over the last year, but 2014 is the latest financial statement I could find.

Gasheads feel free to challenge/correct me on this, but that's how I view the figures.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
The rivalry was a good laugh last season, spoilt only by the feckers romping away with it.

Strangely, I have a certain admiration for their club.

Gerry Gow

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
I can't see this ending well, so I'm happy with the takeover.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Like putting Adam Johnson in as Headmaster of St Trinians.

If you're filthy rich why Bristol Rovers? Buy a Championship club and go for the riches of the PL.

Not saying I'd not swap them for Lee Power, mind!

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Al Qadi has just admitted he isn't a billionaire, simply a tag that the papers (and gasheads) have given him. I did tell you lads.

.V.

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Like putting Adam Johnson in as Headmaster of St Trinians.

If you're filthy rich why Bristol Rovers? Buy a Championship club and go for the riches of the PL.

Not saying I'd not swap them for Lee Power, mind!

Bolton are available to buy no? Bigger debt I'm sure, but they've at least got the stadium in place, and in the Championship. For now.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Bolton are available to buy no? Bigger debt I'm sure, but they've at least got the stadium in place, and in the Championship. For now.
They don't own the stadium though - nor do they really have any assets. They've sold everything, offices, car parks etc - just to keep them affloat. The new owner has basically just purchased the players, as well as having to cope with the every day costs.

GasAttacK

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Al Qadi has just admitted he isn't a billionaire, simply a tag that the papers (and gasheads) have given him. I did tell you lads.
We've been taken over by the Al Qadi family not an individual so we're never going to know exactly what our new owners are worth. They have a great number of businesses between them and they're clearly not the sort of people to shout about their wealth.

It's fairly obvious they're pretty well off and they seem to be in it for the right reasons so it's happy days for Rovers fans. Even if all they do is clear the debts, build the new stadium and improve the academy - all of which they've promised - we're in an infinitely better position than we were under the old board.

Are we going to be the next Man City? No, but I do think Championship in 6 years is a realistic and achievable target. Beyond that, who knows.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
At the end of the day, although a lot got carried away, it doesn't really matter if he is "Lansdown Wealthy" aka Billionaire or not.

He's better off than Higgs.

The stadium stands a better chance with him.

The debt has seemingly been written off.

People have been brought in that potentially can actually run a football club, unlike the previous board, a builder and a bunch of morons.

So much about this club has been ran badly (commercial etc) that I really don't find it above expectations that we improve as a football club. Where that ends up, none of us have a crystal ball so who knows. I'm encouraged by the noises Wael Al-Qadi makes "evolution not revolution", improve the infrastructure of the club, no splashing of cash but no changes of tradition and history. The times article alone is enough to make any Rovers can feel a little giddy. The club has gone from Higgs, Barry Bradshaw and Toni the Till to a Harvard business school grad and various footballing men and even without billions I can't help but think the club improves.

Times article for anyone interested, I personally find very encouraging:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4698580.ece

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
How many "successful" foreign based takeovers have their been, over a period of time, outside of the established Premier League teams?

Hull? Reasonable on pitch success, fans hate the owner though for trying to rip the soul out of them.
Cardiff? One year in the Premier League, not markedly better off than they were, fans hate the owner for trying to rip the soul out of them.
Leeds? Disaster.
Blackburn? Disaster.
Fulham? Khan hasn't really done anything positive for them.
Charlton? Fans hate the owners.
QPR? Shambles.
Forest? Not really any further forward.

The list goes on....

TheGas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Where's he said he's not a billionaire?

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In the times article "TheGas"

Indian Dan, could always do a Swindon & sale again to stave off admin like you guys do time and time again I suppose!

TomCUFC, of course it could go badly, it could go well. You happen to have listed strictly bad stories but there are teams with investment that have been lower and made their way up, success stories like Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton, that's just ones from the top of my mind. It could go badly, of course. I'm hopeful and that's because I'm looking at the fact Al-Qadi grew up in the UK, following football (Chelsea) over here as a fan going home and away and labels himself a football traditionalist. To say this will go badly or will go well because of clubs with different owners and different motivations have gone well or badly is incredibly naive however

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
TomCUFC, of course it could go badly, it could go well. You happen to have listed strictly bad stories but there are teams with investment that have been lower and made their way up, success stories like Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton, that's just ones from the top of my mind. It could go badly, of course. I'm hopeful and that's because I'm looking at the fact Al-Qadi grew up in the UK, following football (Chelsea) over here as a fan going home and away and labels himself a football traditionalist. To say this will go badly or will go well because of clubs with different owners and different motivations have gone well or badly is incredibly naive however

OK, that was what I was looking for in terms of a list.

Bournemouth is the key one from those four for me, their owner has come in, spent a lot and got them to the Premier League, wonderful, and it's been 6 years now admittedly, but all he's known is success. I'll be keen to see what happens when (and they will at some point) get relegated from the Premier League, will he think, "well, now what?" and bugger off, or stick at it and keep running them as they are now. If he does, great, if not, is it a success? If they spend 10 years in the Premier League before getting relegated back to League 1/2 but on a sound financial footing, probably, if they go down now, struggle next year and he gets fed up and they're back in administration in 5 years time? Some might say it was worth it, but I wouldn't.

Watford's owners are a bit, odd, and they're not really doing anything at the moment that they haven't ever done, but whilst they are where they are it's hard to argue too much. Difference between them and Bournemouth is that they're much closer to where they've traditionally been, if their owner left they'd probably be able to settle back into the lower half of the Championship without too much damage.

Leicester and Southampton are the best examples, definitely, which is proof that it doesn't always end in tears/nutters/falling out with the fans, but, it seems that the success stories are far outweighed by clubs who are in disarray of some sort. Maybe that's just the nature of English football these days, but I'd argue that the clubs run by more "traditional" owners/chairmen, Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, Middlesbrough, Brighton, tend to be more stable and respectable over a longer period of time.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
I agree with you lads, you're better off with the Al Qadi backing than you were before, I just found it very amusing with how carried away your lot got, some on your forum claiming they're worth 100 billion(!!!!) and that City fans are jealous because you "have all the money". In reality our owner is still worth considerably more and without carrying that foreign investor risk. I wonder if you'll still be singing "Bristol City, we're richer than you" on Saturday.

Optogas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Don't think so, most of us are pretty grounded. Besides you can have the richest owners in the league if they won't spend their money makes no difference, just ask Cheltenham. As Gassy said it's the whole family so impossible to work out what they are really worth, but all I want is proper infrastructure and financial planning, without frivolous court cases and vindictive unsettling boardroom battles. Though would be nice to beat our record transfer fee at some point. Set all the way back in 1992

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's fair enough Tom. You can find good examples of foreign owners and bad examples of foreign owners. I'll also raise the point that you can find both circumstances from British owners. Our previous board got us to the conference, our lowest ever, and in 8 million or so debt, with a crippling wonga type loan mortgaging our future and they were Rovers born and bred. Far from the worst around the country too, likes of Oysten etc.

We'll see what bracket our guy falls in. I like the comments of his so far, but you could easily say to me talk is cheap and if agree. I struggle to see how he'll be worse than previous occupants though!

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
In the times article "TheGas"

Indian Dan, could always do a Swindon & sale again to stave off admin like you guys do time and time again I suppose!

Fuck off, we didn't stave off administration we embraced it in all its glory.

You are right, though, it all comes down to either good owners or bad owners. I can't remember us ever having a 'good' owner - some were just less worse than others. And that applies to nearly all League clubs - they are all invariably robbing bastards. Every time a small club sells the occasional decent player that may pass through from time to time, it is always followed by 'where's the money gone' - as if we didn't know.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree with you lads, you're better off with the Al Qadi backing than you were before, I just found it very amusing with how carried away your lot got, some on your forum claiming they're worth 100 billion(!!!!) and that City fans are jealous because you "have all the money". In reality our owner is still worth considerably more and without carrying that foreign investor risk. I wonder if you'll still be singing "Bristol City, we're richer than you" on Saturday.

When you say 'some', I assume you mean one chap on a football forum? Or the idiot who makes YouTube videos for the club? Small numbers of individuals are morons, I'm sure you'd appreciate that its the same at your club, at most clubs even.

Some are getting carried away, lots aren't. Lots are hoping whatever worth the owner and his family has, that its used in a sustainable fashion and its used to ensure the infrastructure at the club is suitable for it to move forward.

We know Wael isn't personally richer than Lansdown, not many people are. That doesn't really matter, I'm not that bothered about us 'ousting' BCFC. I'm bothered about us being a club that can move forward on our own terms, create revenue etc. rather than carrying around £10m worth of debt, inadequate facilities and a ramshackle stadium.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
OK, that was what I was looking for in terms of a list.

Leicester and Southampton are the best examples, definitely, which is proof that it doesn't always end in tears/nutters/falling out with the fans, but, it seems that the success stories are far outweighed by clubs who are in disarray of some sort. Maybe that's just the nature of English football these days, but I'd argue that the clubs run by more "traditional" owners/chairmen, Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, Middlesbrough, Brighton, tend to be more stable and respectable over a longer period of time.

What does 'traditional owners' actually mean though?

Stoke are owned by a rich man, Bloom at Brighton has spent upwards of £100m, Gibson has a large personal wealth at Boro. Swansea would never have had the success they've had if they were still at the Vetch, and our City council isn't as helpful in that regard. West Brom are perhaps more interesting, but they seem the anomaly. All these owners, successful or unsuccessful, have money. It's what they say and what they do which counts, rather than whether he is foreign or not.

The man has said he wants to prioritise investment in the infrastructure (stadium, youth academy, commercial side of the club, training facilities) etc. etc. and doesn't want to rush into things or crazily spend. He's maintained that its a long-term project. Wants the club to remain as a community asset. No ridiculous '5 year plan' to get us into the Championship or the Premier League (which we HAVE had previously under the old ownership). The man has experience in football (both in youth development in Asia, as part of organising committees for FIFA and as part of the Jordanian FA), unlike a lot of new owners. He thinks a lot of owners who have been unsuccessful have 'gone about [club ownership] in the wrong way'.

I'm sceptical, and I'm basing my opinion on what he does, not what he says. But short term what he says is all we have to go on. And I don't think it screams that he's a crook.

Pyrat

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
History proves this can go well, or more than likely come out a disaster. If the new family doesn't overspend on just dead weight, and instead invest in players that will help us grow, than this could turn out well. Getting the stadium approval and getting that to go further will also be a bonus. What I don't want is to overpay players past their prime just to sell tickets and create false excitement. Grab a few players who continue to grow the core of the team and see us to promotion.

Still worried that this is going to go terribly wrong.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Who cares? He and his family have more than the old board.

If degree of wealth gives an indication of playing level you lot should be regulars In the prem, and in truth it wasn't so long ago you were in danger of getting relegated to the basement.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Who cares? He and his family have more than the old board.

If degree of wealth gives an indication of playing level you lot should be regulars In the prem, and in truth it wasn't so long ago you were in danger of getting relegated to the basement.

Your fans care. A gas supporting mate of mine told me about the various chants against Morecambe, notably; "Bristol City, we're richer than you." To be fair your fans on here seem pretty knowledgable and have your heads screwed on, but your forum was full of obsessives over the "billions", and at long last being richer than the shitheads. I've just been saying that's not the case.

I agree with you mind, money has meant fuck all for us other than great financial security, which we are of course thankful for. In terms of success on the pitch though we have generally been no better off with it. Lansdown is worth more than Liverpool's owner.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
From personal experience, this can only be a good thing. When our moneybags family of owners came in, we were just a hair's breadth from the Championship. The Becchettis arrived and promised to splash the cash until we got out of League One. £20k a week on Andrea Dossena later, and the guy lived up to his word at the first attempt. All we had to do was put up with a manager that didn't speak English, all the back room staff becoming Italians who have never worked at a football club before and Darius Henderson. Now we've reached the Promised Land, the fun never stops (exclusive week-long hotel extravaganzas for the players, the chairman providing half time entertainment by assaulting his employees and a jolly extradition saga over money laundering). It's party time for you guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!