Stickied The Last Film You Saw Thread (& Discussion)

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
Matchstick Men (2003)

Very good. Without getting spoiler-y, cos you should watch it, there's one gigantic flaw to the entire plot but I don't think that ruined the impact of the twists and turns - 8.5/10

Interstellar

I was with it, AAALLLLL the way until the last 30 minutes and then I have no fucking idea what happened. The bookshelves and tesseract and black hole and ending up back near Saturn and how the fuck 'Plan A' was to do with quantum data. Feels like the main pull of the film was the painstaking scientific accuracy and then it got thrown out the window for an emotional mind-fuck of an ending.
What is with the dialogue too? 'Love is the one thing that transcends time and space' - someone genuinely wrote that line and thought it poignant and as for the little Rust Cohle-lite monologues, how incredibly unimaginative. Nolan's worst film (that I've seen). 6/10

Last edited:

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Interstellar

I was with it, AAALLLLL the way until the last 30 minutes and then I have no fucking idea what happened. The bookshelves and tesseract and black hole and ending up back near Saturn and how the fuck 'Plan A' was to do with quantum data. Feels like the main pull of the film was the painstaking scientific accuracy and then it got thrown out the window for an emotional mind-fuck of an ending.
What is with the dialogue too? 'Love is the one thing that transcends time and space' - someone genuinely wrote that line and thought it poignant and as for the little Rust Cohle-lite monologues, how incredibly unimaginative. Nolan's worst film (that I've seen). 6/10

I gave it the same score. It had potential to be a genuinely thought-provoking, interesting film, with great scope, but ruined most of it as it ran out of ideas and used sentimentality to kop out. Zimmer's score also was his worst in a long time, it did nothing for the film unlike Gravity's that was almost a character.

War Horse [2011]

I was expecting sentimental mush beforehand and it did indeed ladle it on thick. However it at least didn't concentrate the entire film on the horses, as it showed ordinary people as well getting caught up in something beyond anyone's horror or control.

7/10

BCFC Jordan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
I thought the Interstellar soundtrack was great. I, too, was completely lost in the last 30-45 minutes. :lol:

At least it's more creative than your usual blockbuster film. No more than a 7/10 though.

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
The Pyramid

Found footage type film where some people find a hidden Pyramid which is populated by some strange figures.

Fucking dreadful film. The Pyramid should have stayed buried.

2/10 and that's being kind.

BlueBee

Reaction score
Supports
Making goonerz cry
Mad Max.

Good. That's it. A lot of noise and action going on but other than that not a lot of substance. Wouldn't watch it again. It's a shame cos Tom Hardy is currently my favourite actor.

6/10

Legend.

One of the best films I've seen in a while. Hilarious at times. Tom Hardy deserves more than a few awards for that performance(s). Emily Browning is absolutely stunning too.

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn.

Rather odd film about a guy given 90 minutes to live due to an anurism and tries, and fails to reconcile his differences with his family.

Stars Robin Williams, and features a scene where he tries to kill himself, which adds some poignance. Also stars Mila Kunis and Peter Dinklage with cameos from Louis CK and James Earl Jones, so clearly someone somewhere thought it was destined for some level of big thing.

Worth a watch. 7/10

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Watched Inferno (1998) on horror which was pretty poor. I'll give it a 2/10 for plot and action but 5/10 for all; the unintentional comic moments which made me laugh. :lol:

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Noises Off:

Its a film of 2 halves, the first half quite dull, the second half very good.

its about a stage-show and is as such split into 3 small films, the first one shows the rehersal showing you how the first Act should be done, introducing the characters etc, etc setting up the sub-plot that one goes out with another while another fancies another and one is a drunk etc, etc

second wee movie is after show has been on road and things spiral behind the scenes, the two going out together have split as the female has slept with another member of the cast, while the director fancies a female member (very hot she was also) but is going out with the behind scenes staff member and hasn't told her yet. the show must as they say go on...........and it does but with all manner of problems happening behind scenes as the show is going on other side of the stage.

3rd wee movie is when afew months down line all hell has broken loose and the problems spiral onto the stage as well as off it.

gets funnier as it goes on, but I could see afew bored int he first 30 minutes but worth sticking with.

D

Dr Mantis Toboggan

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn.

Rather odd film about a guy given 90 minutes to live due to an anurism and tries, and fails to reconcile his differences with his family.

Stars Robin Williams, and features a scene where he tries to kill himself, which adds some poignance. Also stars Mila Kunis and Peter Dinklage with cameos from Louis CK and James Earl Jones, so clearly someone somewhere thought it was destined for some level of big thing.

Worth a watch. 7/10
rip

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
Noises Off:

Its a film of 2 halves, the first half quite dull, the second half very good.

its about a stage-show and is as such split into 3 small films, the first one shows the rehersal showing you how the first Act should be done, introducing the characters etc, etc setting up the sub-plot that one goes out with another while another fancies another and one is a drunk etc, etc

second wee movie is after show has been on road and things spiral behind the scenes, the two going out together have split as the female has slept with another member of the cast, while the director fancies a female member (very hot she was also) but is going out with the behind scenes staff member and hasn't told her yet. the show must as they say go on...........and it does but with all manner of problems happening behind scenes as the show is going on other side of the stage.

3rd wee movie is when afew months down line all hell has broken loose and the problems spiral onto the stage as well as off it.

gets funnier as it goes on, but I could see afew bored int he first 30 minutes but worth sticking with.
Saw that at our local theatre earlier this year. I thought it was hilarious. I've heard it's much better on the stage than screen though.

Gilly?

Reaction score
Supports
British Darts Organisation
Twitter
@ActualGilly
Unbroken
Good film, not amazing but it's good. Something didn't quite sit right with me and I can't work out what it was. Jack O'Connell is superb, he's got a massive future. I ways thought he'd struggle to shake off the Cook character from Skins but he's managed it brilliantly. 7/10.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Saw that at our local theatre earlier this year. I thought it was hilarious. I've heard it's much better on the stage than screen though.

that is probably true, but I think they say that about almost anything as people take into effect the extra effort done on stage to somehow make the whole thing 'work'

I thought it was very good in the second half, but the only problem is the speed is so hard at times to follow, plus the ending of the film seemed very rushed.....one minute disaster, next minute all sorted, with no real explanation.

I'd watch film if you enjoyed stage version, its well done.I only seen it as I really love the film' A Bunch of amateurs' and this was highly recommended if you like that film

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
Four Lions

Not the first time I've watched it but still as funny as the first time. The story is about 5 hapless suicide bombers. There's a lot of very funny moments, well worth a watch.

Gilly?

Reaction score
Supports
British Darts Organisation
Twitter
@ActualGilly
Four Lions

Not the first time I've watched it but still as funny as the first time. The story is about 5 hapless suicide bombers. There's a lot of very funny moments, well worth a watch.

One of the funniest films I've ever seen, absolutely superb.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
The world needs more Chris Morris!

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Four Lions

A hilarious film with laugh out loud moments that i never get bored of watching.

QPR_Matt

SpongeParr on Football Forum
Reaction score
Supports
QPR
Unbroken
Good film, not amazing but it's good. Something didn't quite sit right with me and I can't work out what it was. Jack O'Connell is superb, he's got a massive future. I ways thought he'd struggle to shake off the Cook character from Skins but he's managed it brilliantly. 7/10.

I really enjoyed this film. I think I enjoyed reading the bits at the end the most. I think the pain, anguish and the togetherness was porteyed really well. I would give it a 9/10 personally. I am easily pleased though, and I love a war time film as they really interest me.

Last film I saw was Sicario. I thought it was good, but not great. Maybe it was because I read the reviews first and they were saying how good it was and this heightened my expectation. I would give it a 7/10

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
12 Angry Men

A jury have to decide whether a teenager killed his dad. It starts with 11 votes of guilty to one of not guilty and the film takes you through the deliberations between the jurors, highlighting their own prejudices and personalities. The whole film takes place in the juror's chamber. Fantastic film and excellently done. 9.5/10

Ebeneezer Goode

Reaction score
Supports
England
I remember having an argument with someone about that because they were adamant that there was no moral to the story because he was obviously guilty.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
I very much liked that film, something they should show in schools imo.

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
The Babadook

Probably the scariest film I've seen in a long while and I watched it in the middle of the day. Very well done. When we first see the Babadook I was a little disappointed as it looked fucking daft but that was a minor issue. A very well made and genuinely scary film, a rare thing. 8/10

Ebeneezer Goode

Reaction score
Supports
England
The Babadook

Probably the scariest film I've seen in a long while and I watched it in the middle of the day. Very well done. When we first see the Babadook I was a little disappointed as it looked fucking daft but that was a minor issue. A very well made and genuinely scary film, a rare thing. 8/10

Trouble is it's one of those films that you can only really watch once because of the twist.

Last edited:

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
Terminator: Genisys (2015).
Thought it started off really well, was loving the re-enacted scenes from the original and thought it was a good idea to start off with. Then it waned a bit and eventually ended up being as forgettable as the previous few instalments. Decent action film though. Also didn't cotton on Sarah Connor was played by Danaerys until half way through. 6/10

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Spectre

I won't reveal anything other than to say it was for me very very boring.

3/10

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
I too was massively underwhelmed by this film. Watchable, but not that good all things considered. If you want nitpicking, pointing out plot holes and spoilers, don't click here:

Sorry, but whoever came up with this script needs firing. Awful. The opening scene was pretty good, really impressive work from start to finish. But from then on, it starts to unravel. So James kills this spectre agent and he then shags the widow. Incredibly unneccessary and felt out of character with this so called new modern Bond, kinda felt like they had this scene just as a tip of the hat to previous bond films. Oh, sorry, forgot the fact that Bond can now be tracked from MI6 with a blood tracking system. But Q allows him to do his own thing for no reason. M meanwhile realises Bond is causing shit, but then the plot simply skips over why M just lets him carry on, despite grounding him. Huge plot hole.

Then Bond infiltrates a Spectre meeting(which happens to be in the exact same city the widow is in, incredibly fortunate) by flashing a ring at the security. Makes no sense how he able to just walk in, especially given Oberhauser knows he is there. I mean, the head of Spectre is happy to let an MI6 agent walk into a meeting and hear the organisations plans for....reasons. Back in London, C(who was pretty obviously a bad guy, no subtly when you cast Andrew Scott in the role) knows Bond is snooping around, but does nothing to stop him. Lets not forget Dave Bautista as Mr Hinx. He kills an assassin at the Spectre meeting to show what a badass he is. He then gets tasked with chasing down and killing Mr White. Again, this felt like a tip to the hat of Jaws from the old Bond, having this huge unstoppable henchman to chase Bond.

Then Bond goes to Austria to find Mr White, because for some reason Spectre wants to kill him. No real reason why, he is no threat. He kills himself before telling Bond to find his daughter. Bond finds her and saves from Spectre agents in the most ridiuclous way possible, destroying 3 jeeps with a plane(seriously, watch the scene, it's just stupid). He also doesn't kill Mr Hinx because...plot. Madeline then tells Bond that the name L'American is actually a hotel. Suppose a quick google search wouldn't have found that out.

They go to this hotel and Bond finds Mr White's secret hideout. There's a cassette tape of Vesper getting tortured. Why a cassette? Why all the outdated technology when he was still active maybe 5-6 years ago in the timeline. Makes no sense. Also, the way Bond finds this room and breaks into it doesn't make sense. Not only does he not tap the wall to check to see if it's hollow, once he does find it, he has to rip the wall off to get in. How did Mr White get in without having to constantly redecorate?

But they find a set of co-ordinates to where Spectre's secret headquarters are, even though back in London, Q finds a satellite photo of the location. They are on the train heading to this location. Somehow, Bond and Swann get fancy outfits, she gets her hair done and they both have a swanky meal. Not sure how this is possible given they are in Morocco, but anyway. They then get attacked by Mr Hinx. Not sure why, because clearly it was Oberhausers plan to let James see his organisation and then torture him. So why was Hinx trying to kill James? Hinx then beats James(Bane and Batman plot point pinched there) and instead of killing him, intended to throw him off the train. Why? He gets caught out and thrown off the train himself. He'll be back I'd imagine.

So they get dropped off in the middle of nowhere(why the train would stop at a broken down shack, god knows). They then get picked up and taken to Spectre's desert headquarters. There Oberhauser tells Bond how he is behind the secret security network which C is forcing through in London and how C is part of his organisation. Back to the old stupid Bonds of the villians revealing their entire plan and then not killing Bond. Oberhauser then tortures James, trying to make him a vegetable. Doesn't work, Bond and Swann escape. Of course, Oberhauser knows all about Bond and his methods, yet doesn't take James' exploding watch off him. Master criminal though. They also don't explain how Oberhauser came to become head of Spectre.

James then blows the HQ up by hitting one gas pipeline. Seems a pretty shoddy way to build your super criminal HQ, but again, master criminal is Oberhauser. Oh and then, again with the subtly of a brick, Oberhauser reveals he actually calls himself Blofeld, to the surprise of no-one. He gets blown up and gets a scar on his face in the same way Donald Pleasance's Blofeld did in You Only Live Twice. Another disappointing "lets acknowledge the old Bonds, the fans will love it" decision.

So Bond meets back in London with M, Q, Moneypenny and Bill Tanner(an entirely un-neccessary character that adds nothing of note) and they head to stop C setting up the all reaching security network(which was clearly stolen from Captain America: The Winter Soldier). M and Q manage that, ignoring the fact that they never manage to prove C is corrupt and in league with Spectre and the system, despite being destroyed, was still voted in by the various intelligence agencies, so it will still happen surely? Oh, not to mention the fact that they break into a top secret new security building in which there is nobody around except C. Yep, nobody, which makes no sense.

Bond meanwhile gets distracted by heading into the old MI6 HQ. He finds Blofeld in the only undamaged room in the whole building(quite how it got in such disrepair after 1 bomb and being empty for 3 years tops is beyond me) with an undamaged pane of bullet proof glass between them. Blofeld sets the demolition timer off(which he either rigged from top to bottom himself, or all the explosives were left unguarded and unattended for anyone to mess with. They also don't explain how Blofeld is able to rig a timer to the explosives in the space of a day tops)and tells Bond Swann is somewhere in the building. Find her and die, or save himself(again, taken and adapated from the Joker kidnapping Harvey Dent and Rachel Dawes from the Dark Knight). Quell surprise, Bond finds her just in time and gets out just as the building blows up. He then managed to take down the escaping Blofeld's moving helicopter from a moving swaying boat with a pistol from quite a distance. No chance that happens. The helicopter crashes. Bond then catches up to the now injured Blofeld and doesn't kill him. M arrests him. Not sure how, he simply tells the arriving armed response team to stand down by saying "Mallory, double O division" and it somehow works, despite the fact the 00 division is shut down and he no longer has a job. Bond then walks away with Swann. Then they drive off in the old Astin Martin. I really did think they would end it by having Blofeld escape from custody, kill Swann and have Bond swear revenge on him to set up the next film. But we'll be seeing Blofeld and Hinx for a number of films now no doubt.

The movie is riddled with plot holes, inconsistencies, an underwritten and underused bad guy, obvious twists that surprise no-one, unneccessary plot points and characters, unneccessary nods to the old Bonds. Really disappointing, felt Skyfall had the same issues. For some reason though, these seem to be glossed over by critics and fans and everyone loves them. Hey ho.

But on the plus side, the action was pretty good, Craig is excellent as Bond, he is the only thing keeping the whole thing from coming apart I think. Solid acting from most of the rest of the cast, moved at a decent pace. But all in all, very disappointed with this movie. Wouldn't give it more than a 5.

Last edited:

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
I'm off to see Spectre tomorrow. Not a huge Bond fan but the wife wants to see it. I reckon it'll be the same as every other one to be honest.

Techno Natch

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
A Bronx tale. Never seen it before but it was highly enjoyable. 8/10

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
Black Mass. Depp excelling where he does best, in a gangster film, with a menacing performance. The documentary "Whitey" is also a must watch if this sort of thing interests you.

8/10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!