The League One Promotion Thread 15/16

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
Not getting 3 points at home to Scunny has really dented our chances, still quietly confident we can sneak in though.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
It's Wigan's title now. Hope Burton hold on. Think they will. Fixture pile-up will be too much for Walsall, I reckon.

Good win tonight but we've come out of the Easter weekend worse off points-wise. Between us, Barnsley and Bradford for that last spot. Can't see any of the other teams below us making up that gap.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
If the 76 point prediction for the playoffs is accurate, we need 6 wins and a draw from the last seven.

We play:
Donny (seem to be appalling at the moment)
Posh (wibbling along in lower mid-table)
Blackpool (pretty crap all season)
Gills (great at home, but we play them at Spotland)
Vale (steady, and tough to beat in Burslem)
Swindon (seem to have already gone on holiday, although this might be injury-related)
Col Ewe (nothing against them, but hope they're down BEFORE the last game)

Win the first three, sneak past Gills, take a point from Vale (and some oatcakes :) ) then hope Swindon are still away with the fairies and we could take it to the last day...

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
If the 76 point prediction for the playoffs is accurate, we need 6 wins and a draw from the last seven.

We play:
Donny (seem to be appalling at the moment)
Posh (wibbling along in lower mid-table)
Blackpool (pretty crap all season)
Gills (great at home, but we play them at Spotland)
Vale (steady, and tough to beat in Burslem)
Swindon (seem to have already gone on holiday, although this might be injury-related)
Col Ewe (nothing against them, but hope they're down BEFORE the last game)

Win the first three, sneak past Gills, take a point from Vale (and some oatcakes :) ) then hope Swindon are still away with the fairies and we could take it to the last day...

Six wins and a draw is improbable. Six wins and a draw and two of us Barnsley and Bradford failing to accumulate 12 points from our final seven games would be miraculous. It's over for yow, but I accept that dreaming keeps the season interesting going into April and stranger things have happened I suppose.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
Six wins and a draw is improbable. Six wins and a draw and two of us Barnsley and Bradford failing to accumulate 12 points from our final seven games would be miraculous. It's over for yow, but I accept that dreaming keeps the season interesting going into April and stranger things have happened I suppose.
I think you may be right.

Bradford should get 12 points or more from their remaining fixtures, Barnsley may do so also.

In my view, Millwall have the best run in of the three, and could quite feasibly win the lot. With Burton stuttering a bit and Walsall having some tough away games, I wouldn't write off 'Wall for an automatic spot!

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma

Bradford should get 12 points or more from their remaining fixtures, Barnsley may do so also.

In my view, Millwall have the best run in of the three, and could quite feasibly win the lot. With Burton stuttering a bit and Walsall having some tough away games, I wouldn't write off 'Wall for an automatic spot!

Rochdale are more likely to take our play-off spot than we are to peg Burton back, so according to my previous assertion that would be next to fucking impossible. But thank you for your kind sentiments.

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall

The annoying thing about us is, we will probably do well in the tough away games..then flop in the easier home games. Such is how things run at Walsall.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
You can't rule Walsall out of a top charge, likewise ourselves - although we NEED to beat both Burton and Walsall on the way to it. Win those two, hope Burton continue to struggle a little like they have lately, and hope Walsall just have too many games to play and fatigue kicks in. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

wiganmudhuts28

Reaction score
Supports
wigan athletic
im pretty confident now...but who knows..we could easy bottle it...i wouldnt be shocked!

Jonny12

Andy Butler is a god
Reaction score
Supports
Walsall FC
Twitter
@JonnyOwen12
We have 4 away games and 5 home ones.

We'll win all 4 away games and lose or draw the home ones and somehow let Burton or Wigan get away with a wobble. That's just our season in a nutshell. Nowt to do with fitness as Jon Whitney is a fitness genius, just that we are shit at home.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
I feel our next two games are key to whether we'll make the play-offs or not.

We're in a great position at the minute, and with two home games on the bounce to come against lower opposition, we have a great chance.

Next up, Scunthorpe - who have just banged in 6 against Swindon - then we have Swindon the week after.

Scunny will be full of confidence heading into this one!

Be amazing to pick up 6 points, or even 4 - but I think we'll shoot ourselves in the foot and pick up 2 draws.

GFC4EVA

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
With 5 out of 8 games at home and our home form along with the returns of Dack, Egan and McDonald don't think we can be ruled out for top 2, as said above though we have to beat Walsall in 2 weeks aswell as beat burton away, hoping we can do it but think we may have left ourselves with a little bit to much to do

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
When the likes of MK Dons can pip the titanic force of Preston North End to second spot on the final day, anything can happen.

3Loggerheads

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
im pretty confident now...but who knows..we could easy bottle it...i wouldnt be shocked!
I would like to think that 18 games undefeated is ripe for picking this Saturday, but Wigan seem to be bang on form everytime I see any clips of their matches on TV!
Here's hoping Wigan have a hiccup on Saturday we still need those 2 wins to be safe!

Do you Latics expect a routine win

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
I would like to think that 18 games undefeated is ripe for picking this Saturday, but Wigan seem to be bang on form everytime I see any clips of their matches on TV!
Here's hoping Wigan have a hiccup on Saturday we still need those 2 wins to be safe!

Do you Latics expect a routine win

Of course they expect a routine win.
They are Wigan.
Wigan for fuck's sake!
Now don't ask silly questions you insignificant little turd.

3Loggerheads

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Of course they expect a routine win.
They are Wigan.
Wigan for fuck's sake!
Now don't ask silly questions you insignificant little turd.
Sorry I will shuffle off back to the relegation thread

Reactions: JJH

Dayman

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
The title will be Wigan's. If either Walsall or Gillingham can get to 86 points then they'll beat us to 2nd place. 85 might even do it because we haven't got the firepower to improve our goal difference all that much. I can't see us getting any more than 10 points from the remaining 7 games. We'll win at Colchester and Doncaster, draw all our home games and lose at Scunthorpe next Saturday.

3Loggerheads

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
The title will be Wigan's. If either Walsall or Gillingham can get to 86 points then they'll beat us to 2nd place. 85 might even do it because we haven't got the firepower to improve our goal difference all that much. I can't see us getting any more than 10 points from the remaining 7 games. We'll win at Colchester and Doncaster, draw all our home games and lose at Scunthorpe next Saturday.
I hope Burton win it.
It would be good for Burton to achieve this promotion with Nigel Clough at the helm, who sowed the seeds in the non league to get them where they are now!
Don't write us off putting up a roadblock in the way of the Wigan promotion wagon tomorrow!

Dayman

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I hope Burton win it.
It would be good for Burton to achieve this promotion with Nigel Clough at the helm, who sowed the seeds in the non league to get them where they are now!
Don't write us off putting up a roadblock in the way of the Wigan promotion wagon tomorrow!

You'd be amazed at how few of our lot think that. There's an "element" amongst our lot that thought he left us in the lurch first time round, never should've come back and is doing his level best to screw promotion up for us this time round. He was getting absolute dog's abuse Monday night both at the game and on teh interwebs. Fact is he's had one league game less than Hasselbaink had this season and, with a smaller squad at the business end of the season, picked up only 6 points less than his predecessor. Personally I adore the bloke and agree with what you said.

I think Wigan are the strongest team in the league by some distance but the run's got to come to an end sometime. If you could put the mockers on their unbeaten run that would be most appreciated :2thumb:

THE TERRACEMAN

Reaction score
Supports
BURTON ALBION
You'd be amazed at how few of our lot think that. There's an "element" amongst our lot that thought he left us in the lurch first time round, never should've come back and is doing his level best to screw promotion up for us this time round. He was getting absolute dog's abuse Monday night both at the game and on teh interwebs. Fact is he's had one league game less than Hasselbaink had this season and, with a smaller squad at the business end of the season, picked up only 6 points less than his predecessor. Personally I adore the bloke and agree with what you said.

I think Wigan are the strongest team in the league by some distance but the run's got to come to an end sometime. If you could put the mockers on their unbeaten run that would be most appreciated :2thumb:
I am a big fan of "our Nige" too. I think a lot of our younger supporters have been swayed on the outburst from Sheep and Blades fans regarding his supposed negative football. He was on a hiding to nothing when he came back, he will do his utmost to get us up with a possibly smaller budget than JFH. Personally for him and the club it would be a fantastic tribute to both if the man who started it all rolling could achieve promotion to the championship. What an amazing story that would be.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
103 - Champions 2014
101 - Champions 2012
99 - Champions 2015
95 - Champions 2011 Guaranteed Champions
94 - Promotion 2014
93 - Promotion 2012 Guaranteed Automatics
92 - Promotion 2011
91 - Promotion 2016
89 - Predicted Champions 2016
87 - Predicted Promotion 2016
84 - Champions 2013 Guaranteed Play Offs
83 - Promotion 2013
77 - Wigan(40)
76 - Predicted Play-Offs 2016 Burton(40)
-----------------------------------------
74 - Play-Offs 2013, 2014
73 - Play-Offs 2012
71 - Play-Offs 2011
69 - Play-Offs 2016
68 - Walsall(38)
67 - Gillingham(39), Bradford(40)
66 - Millwall(40)
--------------------------------------------
62 - Barnsley(39)
58 - Sheff Utd(40), Rochdale(40), Southend(40)

Forthcoming Fixtures:

1st Wigan(40) - 77 points. Coventry(H), Doncaster(A), Burton(A), Southend(H), Blackpool(A), Barnsley(H)
2nd Burton(40) - 76 points. Scunthorpe(A), Barnsley(H), Wigan(H), Colchester(A), Gillingham(H), Doncaster(A)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd Walsall(38) - 68 points. Oldham(A), Gillingham(A), Southend(H), Swindon(H), Bradford(A), Shrewsbury(H), Fleetwood(H), Port Vale(A)
4th Gillingham(39) - 67 points. Sheff U(A), Walsall(H), Port Vale(H), Rochdale(A), Shrewsbury(H), Burton(A), Millwall(H)
5th Bradford(40) - 67 points. Swindon(H), Shrewsbury(A), Coventry(A), Walsall(H), Southend(A), Chesterfield(H)
6th Millwall(40) - 66 points. Shrewsbury(H), Coventry(A), Fleetwood(H), Bury(A), Oldham(H), Gillingham(A)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7th Barnsley(39) - 62 points. Chesterfield(H), Oldham(H), Burton(A), Peterborough(H), Sheff U(A), Colchester(H), Wigan(A)
8th Sheff Utd(40) - 58 points. Gillingham(H), Chesterfield(A), Shrewsbury(A), Barnsley(H), Coventry(A), Scunthorpe(H)
9th Rochdale(40) - 58 points. Peterborough(A), Blackpool(H), Gillingham(H), Port Vale(A), Swindon(H), Colchester(A)
10th Southend(40) - 58 points. Fleetwood(H), Walsall(A), Oldham(H), Wigan(A), Bradford(H), Bury(A)

Well, Wigan have finally bullied their way into 1st place after destroying Shrewsbury 5-1. Is that the title race done, given how Burton have been stuttering of late? Might be a head to head for the top spot in a couple of weeks, if Burton can pick up form and keep pace with Wigan now. Both sides still looking good bets for the automatics given Walsall, Gillingham and Millwall all failed to win.

Play off pack is very tightly bunched together. 2 points seperating the 4 teams. Walsall do have games in hand and have, on paper, a decent run in. Need a win next week at Oldham, keeps them in the best possible play off spot. Gillingham are 5 unbeaten but are struggling to win games still. Main men far off? They could really do with them back soon. Bradford move into 5th with their 3rd successive 1-0 win, now won 5 of their last 6 games, really picking up at the right time. Millwall drop a place after a poor draw at Col U. Got a decent run in, their home games need to yield maximum points you feel.

Barnsley didn't play but have seen their rivals move away from them. All alone in 7th now, 4 points ahead of the teams below them, 4 behind Millwall ahead of them. Once they've had their jolly to Wembley tomorrow, they need to refocus and get their promotion push back on track. Sheff U, Rochdale and Southend continue to linger in the background of the play off race, but it really doesn't look like they will have enough to catch those teams in there. Been decent seasons for Southend and Rochdale to be fair, no so much for Sheff U. All 3 could still make it, going to take 4-5 wins from their final 6 games to do it now you feel.

So, Wigan's title now? Can Walsall catch Burton in the race for 2nd? Is the play off 4 set? Can Barnsley get themselves back involved? Are dark horses capable of making a run?

Mighty_Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
6 wins from our last 6 and second spot is ours.... :2thumb:

In all seriousness I'm delighted to be in 5th spot now. Considering our first awful 8-10 games, to come back and be where we are (especially with the injuries we've had) is good going.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I think we need another 8/9 points to secure the play-offs, so just over a point a game. Got to be looking at winning the home games against Vale and Shrewsbury, and try to nick another win elsewhere, or just bank up the draws. I think we'll have enough. Second is now gone because we simply haven't taken our chances to claw back at Burton when they drop points.

3Loggerheads

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
I hope Burton win it.
:emb:

Before I get my coat, Wigan really did kick our arses and with the quality they showed look Champions all the way!

THE TERRACEMAN

Reaction score
Supports
BURTON ALBION
Wigan in the form they are in any with the money they have been able to invest in the squad do look odds on favourites for the title. I think that is obvious to any one. Albion look favourites for the runners up spot and just how important was Tyler Walkers 92nd minute goal was yesterday to snatch a point with Walsall losing.
Still 6 games to go with an 8 point lead over the Saddlers who have 2 games in hand.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
. Sheff U, Rochdale and Southend continue to linger in the background of the play off race, but it really doesn't look like they will have enough to catch those teams in there. Been decent seasons for Southend and Rochdale to be fair, no so much for Sheff U. All 3 could still make it, going to take 4-5 wins from their final 6 games to do it now you feel.

We're 8 points off with 18 to play for...so we need 3 wins and the others to lose 3 just to make it up. Realistically that'd need 6 wins and to hope 2 of Barnsley, Millwall, Bradford, Gillingham and Walsall pick up no more than 9 points in their remaining 6/6/6/7/8 games. Not gonna happen. 4-5 wins would leave those teams only needing 1-2 more wins and a draw or two (depending on gd...ours is awful anyway).

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
I still think we'll somehow blow the position we currently find ourselves in.

We're just so hard to beat, but we lack finishing sides off - it may come back to bite us in the arse.

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
We've gone, 2 abysmal performances in a row. Been sussed out completely when we aren't given the time and freedom of the pitch to play our football. Haven't got the team to play hoof ball either.

Our aim is to scrape enough goals and points to hold onto 6th by the skin of our teeth.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
We've gone, 2 abysmal performances in a row. Been sussed out completely when we aren't given the time and freedom of the pitch to play our football. Haven't got the team to play hoof ball either.

Our aim is to scrape enough goals and points to hold onto 6th by the skin of our teeth.
Talking bollocks. If u win one you get your momentum and you have two games in hand too. You are still bang in the mix for second. We are watching your results very closely as our form has nose dived. Get your shit together and you can still press us for second place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!