The League One Relegation Thread 15/16

hold'um Oldham

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
I'm holding on to the slim chance Sheridan can work miracles in the transfer window this week. It was clear to see on sat he did everything right tactically but the personnel simply isn't good enough. It's a very big ask though and I'm already mentally prepared for the drop

4froale

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
Lose tonight and we are done, even with four new players in by the Blackpool game.

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
It would be my luck that the season we finally lose WABLO status and are relegated to League 2, those inconsiderate bastards in York decide to get relegated to the conference at the same time.

Hurrikeen

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Twitter
@Hurrikeen
18th Blackpool 28 - 30
19th Chesterfield 28 - 30
20th Shrewsbury 28 - 29
----------------------
21st Fleetwood 26 - 28
22nd Oldham 27 - 24
23rd Crewe 27 - 22
24th Colchester 28 – 22

Blackpool:
Gillingham (H)
Oldham (A)
Shrewsbury (H)
Oldham (H)

Swindon (A)
Bradford (H)

Chesterfield:
Peterborough (H)
Burton (A)
Colchester (A)
Crewe (H)

Gillingham (A)

Shrewsbury:
Southend (H)
Blackpool (A)
Coventry (H)
Colchester (A)

Fleetwood:
Bradford (A)
Shrewsbury (H)
Port Vale (A)
Scunthorpe (H)
Coventry (A)

Oldham:
Blackpool (H)
Peterborough (A)
Wigan (A)
Blackpool (A)
Gillingham (H)
Scunthorpe (A)

Crewe:
Millwall (A)
Rochdale (H)
Walsall (H)
Rochdale (A)
Chesterfield (A)
Barnsley (H)

Colchester:
Southend (A)
Swindon (H)
Chesterfield (H)
Bury (A)
Shrewsbury (H)

Tough period for us coming up, however we are playing better under Shez so I foresee a couple of wins for us before March. Hopefully the two remaining incoming players are as impressive as we're hearing.

hold'um Oldham

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
Are we the only team at the bottom of the table to actually believes in their gaffer

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Special edition of Steve Davis says.... "ermm.. oh fuck... even I don't believe the shit coming out of my mouth anymore".

https://audioboom.com/boos/4121312-crewealex-boss-steve-davis-jan-20

2:00 onwards especially.
Not surprised he doesn't believe it, it simply isn't true. "We're having to work with a smaller squad"?! Steve, you've still got 27 players in your squad! Garratt, Richards, Turton, Baillie, Kearns, Mullarkey, Ng, Davis, Ray, Nugent, Guthrie, Bakayogo, Atkinson, Bingham, Fox, Jones, Wintle, Howell, Cooper, O'Neill, Brown, Inman, LDV, Haber, Saunders, Murdoch and Ajayi on loan. Yeah, tiny squad.

Ok, I accept that some players have picked up lengthy injuries(off the top of my head, Richards, Davis, Ray, Bingham, Jones, Fox, Wintle O'Neill, LDV, Saunders and Murdoch have all picked up injuries which have kept them out for a month or more. We also have Ray, Davis, Bingham, Wintle and LDV all out, which doesn't help) which have reduced the squad size. But you're the one who made an injury prone CB one of the highest paid players. You're the one gave extended deals to the likes to the current defence, leaving no room for the likes of Ng, Mullarkey and Kearns to come through and progress. You're the one that once again wasted your budget on shite like Atkinson and Bingham. You're the one that chased these amazing targets who turned out to be terrible or didn't play(or you simply couldn't get the best of) like King, Kingsley and Wilson.

Another gem: "we have to give our academy lads a chance". Yeah, I'll reply Billy Waters and call bullshit on that one. Got to give our kids a chance? Right, so is that why Adam King was brought in and given games instead of Joe Howell and Ryan Wintle? Or what about Ryan Lowe being preferred to Callum Saunders upfront? Or what about Semi Ajayi replacing George Ray rather than Mullarkey or Ng? Full. of. shit. He applies this "give our lads a chance" policy as and when he feels like it. He's a liar, a hypocrite and devious little fucker. Such a shame that its come to this, but I can't wait for him to fuck off.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
In a way, I feel for SD in that he has no other option but to trot out the cliches like "giving our own the chance", "we had to sell", "we've got a young squad" blah blah yadda yadda. This is definitely a case of being hung out to dry, selling our best outfield player then being left to face the consequences. No reason Bowler could not have said something about it this morning... haha, I'm funny.

That interview was desperate though, falling over him words trying to find the cliche that fitted, which is probably why he pedalled any old bullshit. Fair play to Rich Sharpe, who isn't in the same bracket as Morse and McGarry and seems quite keen to ask the questions. Helps he's not a Crewe fan and is more interested in his journalism career. He should still stop pussy footing around though, risk of Sentinel being banned from Reaseheath is well worth taking.

SpireiteDan

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Are we the only team at the bottom of the table to actually believes in their gaffer

Nah, our manager isn't the problem. Our dog shit squad is, which Wilson is in no way shape or form responsible for. Actually, those in the boardroom are to blame more than anyone, we are such a badly run club.

Either way, we'll be very prominent in this "Fred" from now on. This is a good place to be..........right?

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
What, the one you recently appointed after sacking your previous 2 this season? Yes, yes you are.

hold'um Oldham

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
What, the one you recently appointed after sacking your previous 2 this season? Yes, yes you are.
I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending. It's a serious question. If the fan Base generally backs the gaffer, there is usually a ray of light for improvement around the corner.

I would say we could go on to be nowhere near the foot of the form table in the remaining fixtures. Whether that's enough to stay up with how far we are cut adrift is anybodies guess. However crewe, who are already at the foot do nothing but bemoan their gaffer so it's plain to see they have no chance.

Going purely off comments on here I would say crewe, Bury, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood are the likely bottom 4 of the the remaining games form table. Whether that translates as going down in may when the current table is considered is anyone's guess.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending. It's a serious question. If the fan Base generally backs the gaffer, there is usually a ray of light for improvement around the corner.

I would say we could go on to be nowhere near the foot of the form table in the remaining fixtures. Whether that's enough to stay up with how far we are cut adrift is anybodies guess. However crewe, who are already at the foot do nothing but bemoan their gaffer so it's plain to see they have no chance.

Going purely off comments on here I would say crewe, Bury, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood are the likely bottom 4 of the the remaining games form table. Whether that translates as going down in may when the current table is considered is anyone's guess.
What are you talking about? Take it you were backing Kelly and Dunn till the end? You are in no position to comment on any other clubs and how they treat their managers when yours don't last 12 months, for good or bad. Try having a manager for 4 years, then come back to me.

hold'um Oldham

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
Who got you on your high horse?

All I'm saying is if the fans think a manager is crap they generally are.

Kelly and dunn were crap. Sheridan isn't.

You think Davis is crap.

No need to get ya knickers in a twist lassie

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
This is like two bald men fighting over a comb

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
52 - NO TEAM RELEGATED WITH THIS TOTAL Predicted Safety 2016
51 - Safety 2013, 2015
50 - Safety 2012, 2014
49 -
48 - Safety 2011 Coventry(29)
47 -
46 -
45 -
44 -
43 - Millwall(28)
43 -
42 - Sheff U(28)
41 - Peterborough(28), Southend(27), Bradford(27)
40 - Port Vale(29)
39 - Barnsley(28)
38 - Scunthorpe(28)
37 - Rochdale(27), Bury(27)
36 - Doncaster(28)
35 - Swindon(28)
34 -
33 - Blackpool(29)
32 -
31 -
30 - Chesterfield(28)
29 - Shrewsbury(28)
-------------------------------------------
28 - Fleetwood(27)
27 -
26 -
26 -
25 -
24 - Oldham(27)
23 - Crewe(28)
22 - Colchester(28)

Forthcoming fixtures:

17th Swindon(28) - 35 points. Port Vale(A), Gillingham(A), Colchester(A), Blackpool(H), Peterborough(A)
18th Blackpool(29) - 33 points. Oldham(A), Shrewsbury(H), Oldham(H), Swindon(A), Bradford(H)
19th Chesterfield(28) - 30 points. Peterborough(H), Burton(A), Colchester(A), Crewe(H), Gillingham(A)
20th Shrewsbury(28) - 29 points. Southend(H), Fleetwood(A), Blackpool(A), Coventry(H), Colchester(A)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21st Fleetwood(27) - 28 points. Shrewsbury(H), Port Vale(A), Scunthorpe(H), Coventry(A), Gillingham(H)
22nd Oldham(26) - 24 points. Blackpool(H), Peterborough(A), Wigan(A), Blackpool(A), Gillingham(H)
23rd Crewe(26) - 23 points. Rochdale(H), Walsall(H), Rochdale(A), Chesterfield(A), Barnsley(H)
24th Colchester(28) - 22 points. Southend(A), Swindon(H), Chesterfield(H), Bury(A), Shrewsbury(H)

Well, Barnsley have left the bottom 8 and are heading up the table fast. Swindon have slipped back into relegation mix after a defeat to the Tykes. They seem wildly inconsistent but should have enough goals to avoid getting in serious trouble. Blackpool are picking up of late, unbeaten in 4 and have only conceded 1 goal in that time. They have a run of games against teams at the bottom of the table, so they have a massive chance to pull away from danger for good. 4 massive games for them. Chesterfield didn't play, but have lost back to back games against promotion teams. Bad news is, they face 3 more in next few weeks. With them selling Morsy, are they League Two bound or can Wilson help drag them clear of the bottom 4? Shrewsbury face more fixture disruption after progressing in the FA Cup. Will this backlog of games hinder or help their survival bid?

Fleetwood have only won 1 of their last 8 and lost to Bradford today after going ahead. Huge home game against Shrewsbury next Sunday for them. Oldham got only their 4th win of the season against Shrewbury, but they a tough few weeks against in form Blackpool twice and 3 promotion chasers. Can Sheridan get them winning on a regular basis? Crewe are unbeaten in 3, but winless in 8. They have far too much ground to make up now don't they? Back to back homes next up, might be their final chance to get back in the mix. Colchester are out of the FA Cup and have a massive derby game at Southend next up. A win there could give them a massive boost, although they like Crewe probably have too much to do.

Some big games coming up. Southend v Colchester, Oldham v Blackpool and Fleetwood v Shrewsbury.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Whilst I am already resigned to relegation this season, February for us holds games against Swindon, Chesterfield, Bury and Shrewsbury after the derby. By the end of this month we're either going to be all but confirmed, or putting up a good fight.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Interesting we have organised a fans forum for a couple of weeks time. This is the first bit of communication between club and fans in at least a couple of years. Still depends on who will be attending (if there's no board members there'll be a riot... or at least mild disgruntlement) but I'm wondering if there's something they want to tell us? Timing seems a bit odd, after being silent through everything for so long this gets organised.

Last edited:

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Interesting we have organised a fans forum for a couple of weeks time. This is the first bit of communication between club and fans in at least a couple of years. Still depends on who will be attending (if there's no board members there'll be a riot... or at least mild disgruntlement) but I'm wondering if there's something they want to tell us? Timing seems a bit odd, after being silent through everything for so long this gets organised.

My personal view is that McGarry will host, Morse and Sharpe will both be there as well with the panel consisting of Bakes, Davis and/or Collins. There'll be no board members there that I am convinced and if there are then that will be a welcome surprise.

Unfortunately I'll be unable to attend due to ongoing commitments but if I had to pick one person to be on that panel it'd be Charles Grant. The name has been banged about now for two years that he is Bowler's heir and sponsors of the club such as Ed Whitby (Guy who owns Whitby Morrison) believe he is the right man to take us forward and will invest. Understandably, he's not willing to invest whilst Hassall is here and that's a very wise thing to do from his perspective and you can't blame him if that's true.

Sadly Hassall won't be there, neither will Bowler MBE. Bowler will gain a lot of respect from me if he showed his face and provided honest answers for our current plight. But he won't. Be nice if Dario was there too to offer his tuppence worth but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't show his face.

Predictably they won't mention Hassall's siphoning of club funds. They'll probably say that 22nd in League Two is the aim next season given we'll be on a reduced budget (obscene if Garratt leaves in the Summer that). They will mention that they want to retain the Academy in its current format even though Davis is a personal advocate of slimming down the Academy from what he said three years ago. It's obvious the Academy will remain untouched until Dario's full retirement so that's a non starter. They'll throw in a few of the soundbites that we can't compete with half the National League for wages which is bullshit considering the amount of funds we have from being in the FL and the profit from player sales we generate too.

Personally would like someone to ask questions regarding the potential increase of external revenue. Alison Bowler has been fraudulent in her role as marketing director but lots of clubs who were lagging behind us over a decade ago such as Chesterfield and Shrewsbury have moved to new stadiums and maximised their potential with office space, powerleagues, children's centres etc and made them a community hub with attendances increasing whilst our stagnant club sees our attendances decline. We need to increase revenue to compete for wages in this league.

Lastly speaking of new stadiums, I'd love it if someone was to ask them about HS2, and maybe that's the reason this fans forum has been called given construction of HS2 is due to start in 2017 if the bill receives royal assent this year. It just seems such an odd time to call a fans forum but surely there's a motive for it other than to patronise us fans for questioning the club's direction and that Steve Davis is King and the Academy is the way forward.

Weirdly, Davis also has chance to come out of this with huge credit if he cuts out his bullshit and cliches. Just hope it's not a smokescreen to hide the faltering aspects of our club, but we'll see what's occurring in two weeks.

Last edited:

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
My personal view is that McGarry will host, Morse and Sharpe will both be there as well with the panel consisting of Bakes, Davis and/or Collins. There'll be no board members there that I am convinced and if there are then that will be a welcome surprise.

Unfortunately I'll be unable to attend due to ongoing commitments but if I had to pick one person to be on that panel it'd be Charles Grant. The name has been banged about now for two years that he is Bowler's heir and sponsors of the club such as Ed Whitby (Guy who owns Whitby Morrison) believe he is the right man to take us forward and will invest. Understandably, he's not willing to invest whilst Hassall is here and that's a very wise thing to do from his perspective and you can't blame him if that's true.

Sadly Hassall won't be there, neither will Bowler MBE. Bowler will gain a lot of respect from me if he showed his face and provided honest answers for our current plight. But he won't. Be nice if Dario was there too to offer his tuppence worth but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't show his face.

Predictably they won't mention Hassall's siphoning of club funds. They'll probably say that 22nd in League Two is the aim next season given we'll be on a reduced budget (obscene if Garratt leaves in the Summer that). They will mention that they want to retain the Academy in its current format even though Davis is a personal advocate of slimming down the Academy from what he said three years ago. It's obvious the Academy will remain untouched until Dario's full retirement so that's a non starter. They'll throw in a few of the soundbites that we can't compete with half the National League for wages which is bullshit considering the amount of funds we have from being in the FL and the profit from player sales we generate too.

Personally would like someone to ask questions regarding the potential increase of external revenue. Alison Bowler has been fraudulent in her role as marketing director but lots of clubs who were lagging behind us over a decade ago such as Chesterfield and Shrewsbury have moved to new stadiums and maximised their potential with office space, powerleagues, children's centres etc and made them a community hub with attendances increasing whilst our stagnant club sees our attendances decline. We need to increase revenue to compete for wages in this league.

Lastly speaking of new stadiums, I'd love it if someone was to ask them about HS2, and maybe that's the reason this fans forum has been called given construction of HS2 is due to start in 2017 if the bill receives royal assent this year. It just seems such an odd time to call a fans forum but surely there's a motive for it other than to patronise us fans for questioning the club's direction and that Steve Davis is King and the Academy is the way forward.

Weirdly, Davis also has chance to come out of this with huge credit if he cuts out his bullshit and cliches. Just hope it's not a smokescreen to hide the faltering aspects of our club, but we'll see what's occurring in two weeks.
Very good post.
Pretty much agree with all of that.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Top post. I agree I think it'll go one of two ways.

1) The board don't show up, it's simply Davis, Collins, Baker being hung out to dry in an attempt to say: "See, we are talking to you!". McGarry hosting, trying to control his hissy fits when someone asks Davis a nasty question.

2) They've something to tell us. Change in chairman/directors/ownership and/or HS2. It's 50/50 which it could be and I wouldn't bet against either. Bowler's not getting younger and can surely see the benefits in fresh blood energising the club behind the scenes. Hassall has been trying to sell up for years, could be done on the quiet? Then HS2, it's been reported how residents not too far south of Crewe have been briefed on the process for acquiring their land. Considering the ground is on a massive bit of land that may be required for the hub, this may well have been done and dusted as rumoured. Saying that, this is all something that would more likely be announced at an AGM, which is due soon enough.

Either way, it's unlikely to damage Davis any more. The entire focus of it should be on the board whether they turn up or not. If they don't show their faces then Davis gets my full sympathy for being sent to the firing squad by that bunch of cowards.

Last edited:

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
BTW, interesting to see all the local journos sniggering at Dario's old comments about Vardy (cos we all knew he was destined to play for England/win the Premier League, silly Dario) yet failing to properly question the bullshit presently coming out of the club.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
BTW, interesting to see all the local journos sniggering at Dario's old comments about Vardy (cos we all knew he was destined to play for England/win the Premier League, silly Dario) yet failing to properly question the bullshit presently coming out of the club.

Can snigger all they like, I don't blame Dario considering we'd signed Connerton for a sizable fee and he was fraudulent. We'd also had that season of reckless spending the year before as well.

Also this is another gem I found on that banterous Chronicle page in response to the opinion piece this week.

"Couldn't agree more. I'd rather know we'll have a club to support in years to come. I enjoy keeping an eye on our graduates when they're on tv.

Yes we want to be more successful on the pitch but actually for a club of our size being in league one is success

Glad that someone else understands what it means to be a crewe fan"

So much wrong with that comment, I get the feeling this lad probably gets a stiffy over seeing Colclough score for Wigan more than he does our actual club doing well.

League One is also not our premiership either. This fan has clearly only followed us since 2012 I'm thoroughly convinced.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/club-to-host-fans-forum-2933638.aspx

Board members. Plural. Is that just Bowler and Dario, or are we expecting some of our mystery board members to make an appearance? Is Charles Grant going to attend? Well, this just got more interesting. I highly doubt they'll be breaking any significant news, not unless they break it to the shareholders first in between now and the forum. But either way, about time the board showed their faces and fronted up to the mess we are in, not that they'll see it as a mess of course.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/club-to-host-fans-forum-2933638.aspx

Board members. Plural. Is that just Bowler and Dario, or are we expecting some of our mystery board members to make an appearance? Is Charles Grant going to attend? Well, this just got more interesting. I highly doubt they'll be breaking any significant news, not unless they break it to the shareholders first in between now and the forum. But either way, about time the board showed their faces and fronted up to the mess we are in, not that they'll see it as a mess of course.

I agree with most of what you've said but personally I will be very surprised if it isn't significant now and I think shareholders will know in due course. The board haven't turned up to one of these things for years. That in itself is hugely significant.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I reckon Dario and Bowler if it is a simple Q&A. Bowler to spin in his usual eloquent manner, Dario to push the academy. At least Dario is honest, even if not always agreeable. Absolutely no chance Hassall will show his face. Grant? Unless he's been put into a bigger role (i.e. Chairman) and what is said is true (he has a bit of ambition for the club) then its unlikely he'll be allowed to sully the forum by failing to pedal the club's line.

If there is some sort of reveal though, who knows; depends who wants to take credit / go into hiding. The more I read about the HS2 hub, the less likely it seems we'll be anywhere near selling up. I'm swerving towards it being Bowler stepping down with some very minor personnel changes for us to mull over, but sticking with "evolution not revolution" motto.

The Dark Knight

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I actually enjoy reading what the Crewe fans have to say. It's refreshing sometimes to be aware of what is going on at other clubs, especially one that is local. We've experienced similar situations before so I'm sure both sets of supporters can sympathise with the other when it comes to managerial and boardroom issues. It's also pleasing to forget the shit going on at your own club for a while and see how other clubs are doing. Sections of our supporters piss me off with their inane drivel posted on various social media platforms, so it's good to read other football supporters sharing similar views on their particular club and others around them.

Put it this way, I'd rather hear what pearl of wisdom Steve Davis has churned out this week, what spin Graham McGarry is putting on club issues at CAFC, whether Southend United have decided to pay their latest tax bill to HMRC, what Tom Bradshaw's goals to games ratio is, and how many years it has been since Coventry City finished in the top six of any division, over watching our fans argue amongst each other and sending threats because they disagree with a tactical decision from Rob Page, or that there's a lack of brown fucking sauce for the pies.

hold'um Oldham

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
We have been postponed again meaning we will have 3 games in hand over most by the close of play this weekend. Not really an advantage at this stage. We have never been good with games in hand.

Need to start momentum and this is just a hindurance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!