The playoff thread

getoutofit

Reaction score
Supports
tranmere
Dover and Braintree have some temerity to keep blocking the passage to the playoffs for clubs like ours. They should not only be bowing down to us and kissing our feet, but considering themselves privileged to be doing so.

We once got to the league cup final and only lost 2-1. Have some respect.

Iron brew

Reaction score
Supports
Braintree
Apparently Braintrees success is not manager or players, but the entrance music being played. Haven't lost yet.

Iron brew

Reaction score
Supports
Braintree
Braintree has the entry grading, this has been in place from the first season. The council has passed the upgrades, more seating area flood lights etc to comply with league rules. If we were to achieve league status we have until the following March to implement all requirements needed. These would be met.

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
What if...Grimsby don't make the play-offs? Might be worth going to the last home game at Blundell Park just to witness the ANGER.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
What if...Grimsby don't make the play-offs? Might be worth going to the last home game at Blundell Park just to witness the ANGER.
But our last home game is the penultimate game, so we would not know by then if we had not made them.....

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

1884 Belmont

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
With the results over the past few games, Lincoln and Bromley have been eliminated from the race. Lincoln are 11 points off 5th with 15 to play for and Bromley are 12 off with 15 to play for. HOWEVER, given our proximity to Grimsby, they have fallen back into this race (although their games in hand should see them comfortably over the line). The race is down to 7 sides.

Current Points:
3rd: Grimsby = 72 points (1.90 points per game) Contender Rank 1
4th: Tranmere = 69 points (1.68 points per game) Contender Rank: 5
5th: Dover = 68 points (1.74 points per game) Contender Rank: 3
6th: Braintree = 68 points (1.74 points per game) Contender Rank: 2 (less defeats)
7th: Eastleigh = 66 points (1.69 points per game) Contender Rank: 4
8th: Wrexham = 65 points (1.63 points per game) Contender Rank: 6
9th: Gateshead = 63 points (1.54 points per game) Contender Rank: 7

Goals scored:

3rd: Grimsby = 72 Goals (1.90 goals per game) Contender Rank: 1
4th: Tranmere = 56 Goals (1.37 goals per game) Contender Rank: 5
5th: Dover= 69 Goals (1.77 goals per game) Contender Rank: 2
6th: Braintree = 44 Goals (1.13 goals per game) Contender Rank: 7
7th: Eastleigh = 57 Goals (1.46 goals per game) Contender Rank: 4
8th: Wrexham = 66 Goals (1.65 goals per game) Contender Rank: 3
9th: Gateshead = 50 Goals (1.22 goals per game) Contender Rank: 6

Goals conceded:
3rd: Grimsby = (0.87 goals per game) Contender Rank: 2
4th: Tranmere = 40 goals (0.98 goals per game) Contender Rank: 3
5th: Dover = 49 goals (1.26 goals per game) Contender Rank: 6
6th: Braintree = 28 goals (0.72 goals per game) Contender Rank: 1
7th: Eastleigh = 48 goals (1.23 goals per game) Contender Rank: 5
8th: Wrexham = 46 goals (1.15 goals per game) Contender Rank: 4
9th: Gateshead = 59 goals (1.44 goals per game) Contender Rank: 7

10 Game Form:
3rd Grimsby W5D2L3 Pts=17/30 Contender Rank: 5
4th Tranmere W5D4L1 Pts=19/30 Contender Rank: 2 (less defeats)
5th Dover W6D1L3 Pts=19/30 Contender Rank: 3
6th Braintree W5D2L3 Pts=18/30 Contender Rank: 4
7th EastleighW5D1L4 Pts=16/30 Contender Rank: 6
8th Wrexham W6D3L1 Pts=21/30 Contender Rank: 1
9th Gateshead W4D3L3 Pts=15/30 Contender Rank: 7

Remaining Opponents:
3rd Grimsby: 1st, 15th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 14th, 17th, 4th. Average = 9th. Contender Rank: 6
4th Tranmere: 23rd, 22nd, 8th, 7th, 3rd. Average = 13th. Contender Rank: 2 (less games)
5th Dover: 19th, 21st, 8th, 10th, 3rd, 24th, 2nd. Average = 12th. Contender Rank: 4
6th Braintree: 10th, 13th, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 8th, 21st. Average = 9th . Contender Rank: 5 (less games)
7th Eastleigh: 18th, 3rd, 13th, 21st, 20th, 4th, 14th. Average = 13th. Contender Rank: 3
8th Wrexham: 2nd, 5th, 18th, 4th, 6th, 13th. Average = 8th. Contender Rank: 7
9th Gateshead: 22nd, 14th, 6th, 12th, 17th. Average = 14th. Contender Rank: 1

Overall, there are various different factors that will go into deciding which sides get into the playoffs and which sides fall short. By combining the total ‘Contender Ranks’ of the 7 sides, we get the following totals (as in Golf, lowest number is best):

3rd Grimsby: Overall Contender Rank = 14
4th Tranmere: Overall Contender Rank = 17
5th Dover: Overall Contender Rank = 18
6th Braintree: Overall Contender Rank = 19
7th Eastleigh: Overall Contender Rank = 22
8th Wrexham: Overall Contender Rank = 21
9th Gateshead: Overall Contender Rank = 28.

So, current predicted finishing positions:
3rd Grimsby
4th Tranmere
5th Dover
------------------------------
6th Braintree
7th Wrexham
8th Eastleigh
9th Gateshead.
It’s going to be close though.

Grimsby: should have enough points on the board to be comfortable, but they have worse form than 4 of the sides chasing them and have the 2nd most difficult run of games left to play. Any more slip ups and they could find themselves in a 7 way battle they didn’t realise they were in.
Tranmere are still there to be shot at and have still played more games than their opponents, but they have navigated a run of games that included Gateshead, Dover and FGR without suffering a defeat and have since put together back to back wins over Easter. Still struggle with goals, but with points on the board, ‘easier’ fixtures and a really solid defence, they have a chance of 4 wins in a row before they meet Wrexham at Prenton Park. No room for error.
Dover’s recent form has seen them replace Braintree in ‘possession’ of a playoff place. A shock 3-0 defeat could yet damage their momentum, but they score a lot of goals and are amongst the top performing contenders on current form. Fixtures could be better, but could be much worse.
Braintree’s recent form has been decent, but unfortunately for them, 3 sides have been in better form and this has seen them drop out of the top 5, albeit with games in hand. Their lack of goals and hard run of away games could see them drop further, but they are notoriously hard to beat and still have one hell of a chance of causing an upset by claiming a playoff berth. Injuries and the next couple of results could be key.
Wrexham are the current form side, bagging 21/30 points and going an impressive 6 games without conceding a goal against some of the league’s underperforming sides. Could be spurred on by a massive last minute winner against the leaders yesterday. Fixtures are a nightmare, but yesterday’s game shows they can beat anyone on their day. The dark horses.
Eastleigh yet to be seen if their recent good form can be maintained, but stopped shipping goals (4 clean sheets in a row) and some favourable fixtures means they cannot be ruled out. Like most sides, they have very little room for error.
Gateshead are still mathematically in it, but 5 points off 5th with 15 to play for AND having played 2 games more means their chances are all but over. Easiest set of fixtures left to play but it would need a minor miracle for them to make it. 5 wins and 78 points may put them in the ball park for the top 5 but will almost certainly miss out.

White Army

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
So only Tranmere taking the 6 points over the easter weekend. Grimsby's results have put them back in it,although as Belmont says, their games in hand should be enough to secure a place.

Next weeks games:
Cheltenham vs Grimsby
Tranmere
vs Welling
Dover vs Halifax
Macclesfield vs Braintree
Eastleigh
vs Guiseley
Forest Green vs Wrexham
Gateshead
vs Torquay

Will be interesting to see how Dover and Braintree bounce back from defeats. Would still expect Dover to beat Halifax at home, but wouldnt be surprised if Braintree slip up at Macclesfield. Tranmere and Eastleigh look to have home bankers and Wrexham have yet another tough game away at Forest Green. Gateshead need to win to stay in the hunt.

gtfcfan

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
The only team i wouldn't want to play over 2 legs is Tranmere, because they have one of the best teams in the league, but having said that, they have a poor manager in charge of them

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
The only team i wouldn't want to play over 2 legs is Tranmere, because they have one of the best teams in the league, but having said that, they have a poor manager in charge of them
For me the one to avoid is Wrexham, never had an easy game against them even the previous 2 seasons when they had poor seasons, would hate to get them over 2 legs.
I actually want Tranmere over 2 legs, both games should sell out and i think we would win.

Pablosammy

Soowhyarmy
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
For me the one to avoid is Wrexham, never had an easy game against them even the previous 2 seasons when they had poor seasons, would hate to get them over 2 legs.
I actually want Tranmere over 2 legs, both games should sell out and i think we would win.
We won't sell out Prenton Park, regardless of who we play. Probably 10-12,000 depending on opponent.

Besides, I still don't think we'll get there. We have to win pretty much all of our remaining games and rely on the results of others going our way. Very tough ask, considering the teams we're playing.

I hope I'm wrong!

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
What you want is one of the part-timers because they'll get reffed out of it.
Some of the terrible decisions we have had go against us this season, i would happily take a part timer being reffed out against us if it got us through!

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We won't sell out Prenton Park, regardless of who we play. Probably 10-12,000 depending on opponent.

Besides, I still don't think we'll get there. We have to win pretty much all of our remaining games and rely on the results of others going our way. Very tough ask, considering the teams we're playing.

I hope I'm wrong!
I still think Tranmere and Eastleigh will squeak in, if it comes to you needing to beat us last day to get in, we will have nothing to play for and will have a rotated squad playing so you should be ok, unless we totally implode and need something ourselves to guarantee a spot but i can't see that happening..... (famous last words)!

stupot

Reaction score
Supports
groundhopper
Been to many grounds this year, mainly Dover because I have the misfortune to work there, but half a dozen each of Lincoln, Grimsby and Boston, and for my twopence worth, would like to see Grimsby win the play off's as of all the teams I have seen, them and Cheltenham have played the best football.
Dover despite playing pretty poor football are where they are simply because of their two forwards who would get in most team I guess but if either stop scoring could still miss out on a top five finish, equally Braintree who play even more pragmatic football (how nicely was that put BTW?) who haven't got any forwards of note and and who have scored only a couple more than Kidderminster could also suffer a similar fate.
So to me, Tranmere and a.n.other, and having a sneak at the remaining fixtures you wouldn't have a confident bet on any of them

Pablosammy

Soowhyarmy
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
I still think Tranmere and Eastleigh will squeak in, if it comes to you needing to beat us last day to get in, we will have nothing to play for and will have a rotated squad playing so you should be ok, unless we totally implode and need something ourselves to guarantee a spot but i can't see that happening..... (famous last words)!
There is still a very reasonable chance of us playing three games in a row against you!

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Been to many grounds this year, mainly Dover because I have the misfortune to work there, but half a dozen each of Lincoln, Grimsby and Boston, and for my twopence worth, would like to see Grimsby win the play off's as of all the teams I have seen, them and Cheltenham have played the best football.
Dover despite playing pretty poor football are where they are simply because of their two forwards who would get in most team I guess but if either stop scoring could still miss out on a top five finish, equally Braintree who play even more pragmatic football (how nicely was that put BTW?) who haven't got any forwards of note and and who have scored only a couple more than Kidderminster could also suffer a similar fate.
So to me, Tranmere and a.n.other, and having a sneak at the remaining fixtures you wouldn't have a confident bet on any of them

What about Simeon Akinola? One of the best PT strikers at Conference Premier Level. Welcome BTW.

stupot

Reaction score
Supports
groundhopper
I have watched Braintree twice and all I can say is that I never really noticed him which about says it all really and I don't think he's scored many either has he, but then again I suppose nor has the team!
Amond and Dennis are certainly the best 'finishers i've seen and Stefan Payne is not far behind them, but if either the former or latter go through a baron period these next 6, 7 games it could ultimately cost both teams. The only positive for Dover is that if Payne stops scoring then they at least have Deverdick and particularly Miller who though always playing up front on his own (which as a 5' 8" target man is a new one to me) is my stand out forward, not just for his goals, but what else he gives his team.
Its why for all their wealth and fabulous support Tranmere 'could' yet still drop away. I know they are unbeaten in 6,7 matches, but they have had some kind fixtures in that run, and in the absence of any consistent goal scorer, to be relying on someone like James Norwood, who must have had 5,6 penalties in his seasonal total and who is just not my cup of tea, is surely a cause for concern.
At this stage of the season when match winners are like gold dust the same rationale applies to FGR who just in having Parkin in the line up to me restricts the way they play going forward, God knows what he's being paid but he won't be cheap, and yes I know his touch and size offers more to a team than goals, but unfortunately the man can't run any more, with or without the ball and will be amazed if he is anywhere near this league next season, and with just one win in six is it, something like that, and a huge, and from what I am told increasing over reliance on getting the ball anywhere in his direction, is perhaps why they are now stuttering themselves, and equally why Cheltenham even though they are hardly on fire either are certainties for the league and getting Holman in proved a masterstroke to achieve that end.

Reactions: WAP

Pablosammy

Soowhyarmy
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
... I know they are unbeaten in 6,7 matches, but they have had some kind fixtures in that run, and in the absence of any consistent goal scorer, to be relying on someone like James Norwood, who must have had 5,6 penalties in his seasonal total and who is just not my cup of tea, is surely a cause for concern...

They've not been particularly kind or unkind - we've played 4 in the top half (including Dover and FGR) and 3 in the bottom half. But yeah, we'd struggle if we lost Nors.

stupot

Reaction score
Supports
groundhopper
Any team chasing a play off spot Pablo would surely swap their current fixtures for the set you have had in you recent run though wouldn't they?

Kidderminster, Lincoln, which unlikely as it appeared looked nailed on a 2-2- draw, Guisely, Chester, Gateshead, and as you say FGR and Dover, the last of which as I see all their mid week games, I had the misfortune to go to as it was really poor, and in which to be honest not only would Tranmere not have scored if you had still been playing until today, it appeared as a neutral, that not losing was Mr Brabin's only intention.

What do you have going for you though is your next two games which come at just the right time, six points from those and it will really put the pressure on those beneath you, and many wont be able to handle it, and also on inspection the fixtures of your fellow chasers some of whom could be well out of the play off picture by the time you play them which would suit you even more. Exciting for the neutrals though that's for sure

Tranmerewhite

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
Any team chasing a play off spot Pablo would surely swap their current fixtures for the set you have had in you recent run though wouldn't they?

Kidderminster, Lincoln, which unlikely as it appeared looked nailed on a 2-2- draw, Guisely, Chester, Gateshead, and as you say FGR and Dover, the last of which as I see all their mid week games, I had the misfortune to go to as it was really poor, and in which to be honest not only would Tranmere not have scored if you had still been playing until today, it appeared as a neutral, that not losing was Mr Brabin's only intention.

What do you have going for you though is your next two games which come at just the right time, six points from those and it will really put the pressure on those beneath you, and many wont be able to handle it, and also on inspection the fixtures of your fellow chasers some of whom could be well out of the play off picture by the time you play them which would suit you even more. Exciting for the neutrals though that's for sure

Take this into account; Braintree have 5 away games left... from their last 10 away games they have taken 10 points. If they kept that average and took 4 points from their 2 home games, they would finish on 77. Whereas we -should- be on 75 points with 3 games left. Not bothered if Torquay have had a mini resurgence, they're at the bottom and we've had 5 wins 5 draws from our last 10 away.

Everyone plays each team twice, if other teams have had harder game sequences recently it is because they had previously had "easier" sequences and the table was misleading. We have been the inform team since Christmas, only FGR have taken more points (1) in the last 15 games than us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!