The Workout thread

NiallQuinnDiscoPants

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester City
I would have thought deadlifts everyday would over load the leg and lower body & not give them a chance to rest & rebuild.

I do a solid 30 minute core workout once a week, however like Cashis said your core is incorporated into exercises like Squats and Deadlifts. By keeping a straight back and keeping your core engaged during any exercise where it's deemed necessary you are in fact working your core.
Just as important as working your main abdominal muscles is also working your transverse abs and your obliques. So doing torso rotations, side planks and that kind of thing. that's what i usually also incorporate into my 30 minute core workout per week.

Nathan, I'd say the 2 football sessions a week & the ju-jitsu is enough to avoid doing HIIT.

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Whats your routine? Is it a popular one or just one you've made yourself? Not asking for all the details, I just don't think I've ever seen a plan that includes deadlifts every day

It's something I've concocted myself. I've been training now for 35+ years, most of it when I was playing high level Rugby, so I know I my body pretty well. Nowadays I just do an upper/lower body workout every other day, with one rest day. I only ever do big compound moves in my workouts, deadlifts hit both and I love doing them. Oh, and they work.

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I hear that mate, I love deadlifts.

NiallQuinnDiscoPants

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester City
deadlifts are fantastic. i was just training a woman this morning and she was under the illusion she'd be getting a tougher workout doing her CV sessions, but she felt it miles more doing Deadlifts and Squats in a Pyramid training regiment.
sorry slaphead, didn't realise you were getting that rest day in there. i thought you meant you were basically deadlifting every single day. do you just go heavy to a 8-10 set? or do you vary it with a lighter weight with more reps sometimes, and then occasionally really hit about 90% of your 1RM for about 3 reps?

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
sorry slaphead, didn't realise you were getting that rest day in there. i thought you meant you were basically deadlifting every single day. do you just go heavy to a 8-10 set? or do you vary it with a lighter weight with more reps sometimes, and then occasionally really hit about 90% of your 1RM for about 3 reps?

No, I don't deadlift everyday, but I wish I could! I always pyramid train my big compound lifts. One set of 16-20 reps at 25% 1RM, one set 10-12 reps at 50% 1RM, one set 5-7 reps 75% 1RM then 2 reps at 90%. All done with no rest other than the time it takes to load the bar. I do the same routine for squats, leg press, bench press etc. I find it easy to build muscle and this workout is superb for increasing strength.

I do very little in the way of isolation exercises now for definition as now I'm over 50 I have found it harder and harder to lose that subcutaneous fat that hides those really chiseled abs etc. At my age I try to maintain strength, and I am doing more flexibility work. But so far I have stayed away from stuff like yoga, though seeing some of the fit women that are attending these classes at my gym I may well give it a go, all in the line of research you understand.

Diet for me is now the key, because I build muscle easily I also put on fat quickly. Back in the day I used to be able to shed fat with the high intensity cardio we used to do in Rugby training such as uphill sprints and loads and loads of shuttles. These days my knees are in bits, one is made of titanium and plastic, and the other has no cartlidge in it at all, so that kind of activity is long gone for me.

NiallQuinnDiscoPants

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester City
i've heard yoga is fantastic to supplement your training. keeps your muscles and joints supple and flexible. plus it's a tough mother fucker, i did all the insanity dvd's without much bother, but when it came down to the 45 minute recovery yoga dvd i couldn't do it. i've really started making sure i get a good stretch in after workouts too, to keep the muscle i've been working supple so that i can really let it rebuild over the next few days.

it's great that your still working out to that extent over the age of 50. lot of people get lethargic into their 40's, so kudos that you've managed to mantain that motivation. :2thumb:

Popeye

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United, Northern Ireland
Last September I joined DW gym with the hope of getting bigger and committed to doing Strong lifts 5x5 and eating lots of protein and drinking milk like crazy, I stopped going last month, If its mass any of you are looking I recommend that, I went from being 14 1/2 stone to 16 stone doing it.

Only problem is when you stop which I did, that weight is a pain in the hole to get rid of, you look kinda chubby.

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
I'm making this the keeping fit thread.

I don't do gym. Indoor sport just doesn't do it for me. I run 10km and do a 20km bike ride every two days though. Keeps me off shooting myself whilst looking for a job.

Popeye

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United, Northern Ireland
I'm making this the keeping fit thread.

I don't do gym. Indoor sport just doesn't do it for me. I run 10km and do a 20km bike ride every two days though. Keeps me off shooting myself whilst looking for a job.

I feel your pain mate, looking for a job myself at the moment and have just started getting into running. Does help take your mind off it.

NiallQuinnDiscoPants

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester City
I go for a run round Oldham while I'm on my dinner at work. That definitely helps me take my mind off all the office BS that goes on

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I'd rather get fisted than do cardio

(But I will be doing it cos I'm cutting properly now)

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
Couldn't find this thread before hence me starting another one last night but here goes...

I gave in to trying to get a good boy about 5 years ago and so far have some very vague definition and arms only slightly better than a stick insects.

With my body I know I should eat better to get 'abs' but curry is just too nice. Also I dont do cardio but am going to start doing some high intensity interval training. Any advice on this? I dont have a gym membership so just have dumbbells at home to use and random stuff around the house. Re: using HIIT to burn fat would sprint & burpee intervals be enough? I was thinking doing 20-30 mins every 3 days? I try and hit my abs every 3 days with crunches, cross over crunches, leg raises, (dont know what you call these...) lift legs with back flat and move them side to side, side planks and regular plank. Is that the right concoction to hit all the important ab muscles?

Gilly?

Reaction score
Supports
British Darts Organisation
Twitter
@ActualGilly
Have a gander at Insanity. It's hard work but for fitness it's very good and you'll see an improvement quite quickly. I would recommend doing it with someone though, it's very difficult to go on at full pelt on your own. You need that encouragement to keep going. Two weeks in, I managed 90 minutes on a football pitch, just.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
I've just managed 35secs sprint + 10 burpees twice with 2 minute walk before and after each. Omg my cardio is awful, feel like I'm dying lol

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Coral.co.uk & Ladbrokes.com
Twitter
@taylorswift13
Have a gander at Insanity. It's hard work but for fitness it's very good and you'll see an improvement quite quickly. I would recommend doing it with someone though, it's very difficult to go on at full pelt on your own. You need that encouragement to keep going. Two weeks in, I managed 90 minutes on a football pitch, just.

I've done similar workouts to Insanity and there is ZERO chance I could do it alone. Doing it in a group guilts you into keeping up with everyone else. I got so knackered once I was too tired to swallow water and couldn't rub the sweat from my head as I couldn't lift my arm high enough. I regularly run 10+ miles and that's easy compared to these sorts of workouts.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889

Is insanity the video you have to buy?

Gilly?

Reaction score
Supports
British Darts Organisation
Twitter
@ActualGilly
Is insanity the video you have to buy?

I 'acquired' it from another source, I believe the majority of it is on vimeo too. All I did was find a copy of the schedule and then did it in the order it says on there. I've not done it for a few days due to football training and other stuff, I'm itching to get back into it.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
I 'acquired' it from another source, I believe the majority of it is on vimeo too. All I did was find a copy of the schedule and then did it in the order it says on there. I've not done it for a few days due to football training and other stuff, I'm itching to get back into it.

Ah ok, cheers, will have a look around. I knew my cardio was bad but didn't realise it was this bad, felt like I was going to vomit and pass out after only a combined 70sec sprint, 20burpees and 6 min walk.

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Practice a sustainable method of fitness not these stupid fad workouts... Would be my suggestion.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
Practice a sustainable method of fitness not these stupid fad workouts... Would be my suggestion.

I assume with interval and HIIT you don't just do it for 3months? Even with programmes youd surely just extend it? Take your point though, like people who do crash diets then just put everything back on again

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Coral.co.uk & Ladbrokes.com
Twitter
@taylorswift13

High Intensity Training isn't a fad though, is it? But yeah, it's like anything fitness related. What you need to do is find something you enjoy and stick at it - whilst getting your diet right at the same time. A lot of people don't want to put the effort in.

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I'm on about Insanity not HIIT. HIIT is fine, good fat burner. Insanity isn't sustainable.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Been going to the gym with a mate who knows what he's doing (more than me at least) for the first time ever. As a result, been doing a lot more core exercises on the mats than I have ever done before. One problem I'm encountering though, is that I'm struggling with any core exercises that involve laying down and raising my feet off the ground and especially ones that involve raising my feet and my shoulders off the ground at the same time. It's incredibly uncomfortable on my core after just a few reps of any of these sort of exercises, which is obviously a good thing as I can feel it working. I just can't get many reps in before I feel myself losing form. Do I just persevere with these exercises and hope that my strength improves, or are there any exercises that I can do to help me to do more reps. I've been trying to just see how long I can hold my feet and shoulders off the ground at the same time, but the length of time I can do this is embarrassingly pitiful! Or should I be trying to focus more on my back to prevent loss of form?

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Been going to the gym with a mate who knows what he's doing (more than me at least) for the first time ever. As a result, been doing a lot more core exercises on the mats than I have ever done before. One problem I'm encountering though, is that I'm struggling with any core exercises that involve laying down and raising my feet off the ground and especially ones that involve raising my feet and my shoulders off the ground at the same time. It's incredibly uncomfortable on my core after just a few reps of any of these sort of exercises, which is obviously a good thing as I can feel it working. I just can't get many reps in before I feel myself losing form. Do I just persevere with these exercises and hope that my strength improves, or are there any exercises that I can do to help me to do more reps. I've been trying to just see how long I can hold my feet and shoulders off the ground at the same time, but the length of time I can do this is embarrassingly pitiful! Or should I be trying to focus more on my back to prevent loss of form?

I might have a similar problem... hamstrings aren't that flexible so if I'm on a mat, raising my whole legs to around 90º, well I can't really do it. Shirley there are other ways of working out those muscles so I'm sure it doesn't matter? Just try a different couple of lower abs exercises instead. Personally as a fell runner I don't really want the flexibility that comes with being able to bend them that much either.

r1ch1e

Reaction score
Supports
Redbridge & Dagenham
Signed up for a half-marathon in March so started my training today. 5.5km in 30mins. Hoping to complete in about 1:45 so it's a start

Nath

Reaction score
Supports
José
I've always stuck to the basic training methods. Generally 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps on each exercise, increasing the weight on each set. Just wondering what is all your opinions on the other training methods out there. For example, German Volume training etc.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
A few months ago I made a life changing decision to start doing weights, I'd never done them before really (except push ups and the like) and I'm 32 years old.

I did my online research and got a book on it and I followed a six week upper body program (wanted bigger arms to start with then later looking at chest, stomach, lower body). What was recommended was a reverse pyramid whereby you do 6 reps with the heaviest weight you can manage then 8 switching down, then 10 switching down one more again before moving on to another exercise and following the same rep patterns. This has worked somewhat and I've definitely got bigger delts, shoulder muscle and some improvement in biceps/triceps.

As I think I'm now getting beyond the beginner stage, would you say that this pyramid is a good base to continue on in the future? The trainer at the gym says that to improve core strength you should do about 7 reps in 3-4 sets with a challenging weight level. What would you recommend?

Also, I put on 2 kilos over Xmas not having access to my gym I did little exercise apart from some walking and jogging. I've decided to follow a high protein diet, plenty of veg, egg, some fruit and daily meat or fish. I plan to really limit carbs for at least a couple of weeks, certainly no rice/pasta/bread. After, I'll start gradually re-introducing them once or twice a week max.My gym sessions (x3 a week) will involve about an hour of cardio and 40 mins of weights. I want to drop a stone really before really going for it in terms of building lean muscle mass. Is what I'm thinking realistic?

shane

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
A few months ago I made a life changing decision to start doing weights, I'd never done them before really (except push ups and the like) and I'm 32 years old.

I did my online research and got a book on it and I followed a six week upper body program (wanted bigger arms to start with then later looking at chest, stomach, lower body). What was recommended was a reverse pyramid whereby you do 6 reps with the heaviest weight you can manage then 8 switching down, then 10 switching down one more again before moving on to another exercise and following the same rep patterns. This has worked somewhat and I've definitely got bigger delts, shoulder muscle and some improvement in biceps/triceps.

As I think I'm now getting beyond the beginner stage, would you say that this pyramid is a good base to continue on in the future? The trainer at the gym says that to improve core strength you should do about 7 reps in 3-4 sets with a challenging weight level. What would you recommend?

Also, I put on 2 kilos over Xmas not having access to my gym I did little exercise apart from some walking and jogging. I've decided to follow a high protein diet, plenty of veg, egg, some fruit and daily meat or fish. I plan to really limit carbs for at least a couple of weeks, certainly no rice/pasta/bread. After, I'll start gradually re-introducing them once or twice a week max.My gym sessions (x3 a week) will involve about an hour of cardio and 40 mins of weights. I want to drop a stone really before really going for it in terms of building lean muscle mass. Is what I'm thinking realistic?
If you're intent on dropping weight, I'd do fasted HITT cardio every morning followed by a healthy protein/carb based meal. You need (the right) carbs immediately after exercise to contribute to fat loss. The rest of your meals for the day should have minimal carbs. Do that for a month and hold of the weights and I bet you would see good results.

If you're intent on weights and cardio in the same session, always do the weights first.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that. Lost 3 pounds so far this week, going well. Pleased I still have high metabolism, making all the birds jealous :bg:

Interesting you mention weights before cardio, why so? I've been splitting them, e.g treadmill 20 mins, 4 exercises, cross trainer 15mins, 4 more exercises, then finish with 10 on the bike. That seems to work out all right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!