Thursday 29th & Friday 30th December 2022

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Not sure of your point - we scrap away from home and play better at home. When we get a lead, we fight like dogs to keep it.

We could try playing tippy-tappy football week in-week out, but that would see us rock bottom of the table - instead we're nearly as close to the playoffs as the relegation zone.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and we use more than one way to win football matches.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Main thing is whether Wycombe sub Tjay De Barr is okay. He came on in the 71st minute, I think was involved in a clash with someone and at then after the full time whistle, as the players were shaking hands, he seemed to collapse. It looked serious, but the early tweets from Wycombe suggest he is awake, is okay and has gone for tests at hospital. One of the first people to note there was a problem was Schuey who ran over and called for medical help. Hope he is okay.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Not sure of your point - we scrap away from home and play better at home. When we get a lead, we fight like dogs to keep it.

We could try playing tippy-tappy football week in-week out, but that would see us rock bottom of the table - instead we're nearly as close to the playoffs as the relegation zone.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and we use more than one way to win football matches.

The only right way to play the game is the one that gives your players the best chance to win. Helpful if you can change it up as required but playing a low block and scrapping for 1-0's is no less legitimate than playing possession based football (and frankly I find some of those teams to be the most tedious of the lot).

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
As for the game, I was surprised by Wycombe’s line up with the two main threats on the bench. I found the delays in actually starting the game amusing, and were probably designed to wind up us fans and test the ref. We played a sort of four, two, two, two obviously specifically designed for this match. This allowed Randell to have more space and get forward more than normal. It was no surprise he was MOM. Generally, it was a fairly cagey first half with us a bit better. Two miracles happened at the same time. We scored from a corner (our first of the season) and a defender scored (the first to do so this season). In the second half Hardie, whose pace was scaring the defence, should have scored at least two and a couple of others had very good chances to finish the game off. We looked the much better side and had several good chances until Wycombe brought on several subs from the 71st minute onwards. The last ten were a bit nervy with Wycombe having a couple of decent opportunities. It may be that some in the crowd noted the irony of the Wycombe players moaning about time wasting in the last few minutes. 1-0 probably flattered Wycombe a bit tonight.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The only right way to play the game is the one that gives your players the best chance to win. Helpful if you can change it up as required but playing a low block and scrapping for 1-0's is no less legitimate than playing possession based football (and frankly I find some of those teams to be the most tedious of the lot).
Exactly this - I find tippy-tappy, passing around your back 4 boring as hell. Sometimes, getting it in the mixer and shouting scramble is much more entertaining.

Tonight we were shithouses, and if that happened every week then I'd get the complaints, but we weren't shithousing against Plymouth on Boxing Day and we gave them a bloody good game - only a bit of magic from their lad beat us.

Horses for courses and all that. I get why Shrews fans will be fuming tonight, but to be fair, Southwood has had one save to make all night (and what a save it was by the way).

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

My point was you said you don't see that every week, but I saw it and judging by comments on here it happens regularly.
I know its shithousery and you don't care, but I really couldn't imagine seeing that all the time.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
We’ve now lost to Burton twice, MK Dons away & Morecambe at home. Losing to sides around you isn’t what you need in a relegation fight.

If Vale are semi competent they’ll beat us easily on Sunday.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As for the game, I was surprised by Wycombe’s line up with the two main threats on the bench. I found the delays in actually starting the game amusing, and were probably designed to wind up us fans and test the ref. We played a sort of four, two, two, two obviously specifically designed for this match. This allowed Randell to have more space and get forward more than normal. It was no surprise he was MOM. Generally, it was a fairly cagey first half with us a bit better. Two miracles happened at the same time. We scored from a corner (our first of the season) and a defender scored (the first to do so this season). In the second half Hardie, whose pace was scaring the defence, should have scored at least two and a couple of others had very good chances to finish the game off. We looked the much better side and had several good chances until Wycombe brought on several subs from the 71st minute onwards. The last ten were a bit nervy with Wycombe having a couple of decent opportunities. It may be that some in the crowd noted the irony of the Wycombe players moaning about time wasting in the last few minutes. 1-0 probably flattered Wycombe a bit tonight.
I take it the Wycombe keeper didnt go down 'injured' 5 mins from time today? He did on boxing day and spent the first minute chatting to the physio. Their ex keeper Stockdale confirmed on a podcast recently they are trained in that sort of thing.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
We’ve now lost to Burton twice, MK Dons away & Morecambe at home. Losing to sides around you isn’t what you need in a relegation fight.

Who knows which Vale show themselves then. We can be very good at times or also incredibly naive. Sometimes in the space of a handful of minutes. Tonight was a classic example, I thought until Wednesday scored we had actually done ok in terms of defensive organisation and then I’m still absolutely baffled at what was going through Conlons mind to handle the ball like that under no pressure in our own box to gift them the opener from the spot.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers

Vale lost to Sheff Weds tonight...they will be keen to get their push for the play-offs back on track, Sunday could be pretty traumatic...as if this evening wasn't!

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I take it the Wycombe keeper didnt go down 'injured' 5 mins from time today? He did on boxing day and spent the first minute chatting to the physio. Their ex keeper Stockdale confirmed on a podcast recently they are trained in that sort of thing.
Funny enough no. Though, what did surprise me was that even when we were 1-0 up I did not sense any urgency in the Wycombe players, they still took their time. There were even a couple of instances I thought the players were deliberately taking their time which seemed a tad odd. Still I was not complaining.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Exactly this - I find tippy-tappy, passing around your back 4 boring as hell. Sometimes, getting it in the mixer and shouting scramble is much more entertaining.

Tonight we were shithouses, and if that happened every week then I'd get the complaints, but we weren't shithousing against Plymouth on Boxing Day and we gave them a bloody good game - only a bit of magic from their lad beat us.

Horses for courses and all that. I get why Shrews fans will be fuming tonight, but to be fair, Southwood has had one save to make all night (and what a save it was by the way).
You certainly did not shithouse against us. yes a lot of huff, puff and closing down in a narrow pitch, but you were trying to play football.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
My point was you said you don't see that every week, but I saw it and judging by comments on here it happens regularly.
I know its shithousery and you don't care, but I really couldn't imagine seeing that all the time.
No doubt we shithoused it against yourselves in August, Shrews tonight and probably Ipswich in November, but looking back through our games this season I can't really see any other clear examples of it tbh.

End of the day we've got a bottom 4 budget and sometimes we're gonna have to play that way to get a result, but it's far from every week.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
No doubt we shithoused it against yourselves in August, Shrews tonight and probably Ipswich in November, but looking back through our games this season I can't really see any other clear examples of it tbh.

End of the day we've got a bottom 4 budget and sometimes we're gonna have to play that way to get a result, but it's far from every week.
I think there are times when shithousery is a legitimate response and it is for the ref to manage it, and oppo to find a way. I know it is annoying, but as long as it is not every game I think it is okay. We certainly did it against Wycombe at Adam’s Park this year. Funny enough several teams have tried it on us this year, fair enough if they tried to match our style only we would benefit. It is for us to set up the team with the right players to get around such defensive approaches.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Congrats on the win to Wednesday. Think some of their work off the ball with their pressing was first class.

Think we can take encouragement from our second half performance where we looked threatening and should have scored a couple. Sammy Robinson when he came on contributed a lot to that. When he learns to do the simple stuff as well as the step overs etc he will be a very good player. Conlon and Garrity to me we need to look at them as they are starting to appear undroppable.
Conlon was terrible again tonight, cost us the game with two big errors for either goal.

Sammy was good again, he’s going to be a good player for us just needs to mature with experience and he caused their left back a lot of problems.

Overall probably as frustrated as I was by the loss at home to these but if we are frustrated by losing to Sheffield Wednesday then it shows the huge strides made at the club!

Decent atmosphere in the away end, view is meh, more pillars than the Acropolis that away end but great acoustically, proper old school ground. Not sure what happened to the corner stand to the left of the away end though? Looks half finished?

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Main thing tonight is the Wycombe lad is alright, it didn’t look good with the players forming a barrier around him after the final whistle.

My other point having not been on here for a while is purely wow surely the 3 sides at the top cannot keep this pace up?!

If we finish last season with 80 and don’t finish in the playoffs and then finish this season with 90+ and don’t finish in the autos I think I might actually cry

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We did alright. Felt we gave them way too much respect first half but once Bannan went off I can't recall another chance for them other than the goal. We were looking more likely to equalise at that point and they didn't seem to have any threat. Two very soft goals from poor errors...why has Conlon put his hands anywhere near the ball?

What Wednesday did very well, and they did it in the home game, was closing down immediately. It felt like nobody had any time on the ball and so we constantly gave it away. We bypassed it better second half but a moment of quality against the run of play killed it. We needed to score one of the 3 chances we had either side of half time but we just lack that quality at the moment. Midfield is an issue as it's severely lacking in decent ball players.

Great old stadium is Hillsborough but it's in a bit of a state and the view was awful...is there thoughts about redevelopment or moving? Home fans were very quiet but I guess it's not a big fixture for them.

It's the sort of fixture we shouldn't really be targeting points from but I can't help thinking if we'd had a bit of a go first half like we did second then we might have got something.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Conlon was terrible again tonight, cost us the game with two big errors for either goal.

Sammy was good again, he’s going to be a good player for us just needs to mature with experience and he caused their left back a lot of problems.

Overall probably as frustrated as I was by the loss at home to these but if we are frustrated by losing to Sheffield Wednesday then it shows the huge strides made at the club!

Decent atmosphere in the away end, view is meh, more pillars than the Acropolis that away end but great acoustically, proper old school ground. Not sure what happened to the corner stand to the left of the away end though? Looks half finished?

Yeah I've been reluctant to criticise Conlon as have been mindful he has been trying to build his confidence up after that Achilles injury and I do feel if you listen to Ale and the Vale podcast it has come across at times as having a vendetta against him. That said tonight he wasn't the only reason we lost but he certainly was the biggest contributor from a Vale perspective. To me I'd be going Funso and Pett in the middle at FGR then have Willo, Butterworth and Massey as the front three.

I'm not as concerned with Harrisons dry spell. He keeps getting in those positions so to me it's more a case of positive reinforcement to him to keep trying and am sure one will go in for him.

No point dwelling on it though. Lost to a better team so shit happens. Still been a pretty incredible calendar year for us.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yeah I've been reluctant to criticise Conlon as have been mindful he has been trying to build his confidence up after that Achilles injury and I do feel if you listen to Ale and the Vale podcast it has come across at times as having a vendetta against him. That said tonight he wasn't the only reason we lost but he certainly was the biggest contributor from a Vale perspective. To me I'd be going Funso and Pett in the middle at FGR then have Willo, Butterworth and Massey as the front three.

I'm not as concerned with Harrisons dry spell. He keeps getting in those positions so to me it's more a case of positive reinforcement to him to keep trying and am sure one will go in for him.

No point dwelling on it though. Lost to a better team so shit happens. Still been a pretty incredible calendar year for us.
Harrison is a worry as he does seem to have lost all confidence. Missed a sitter second half and early season he slots that one home first half rather than scuff it miles wide when only the keeper to beat.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday

Been condemned.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
We did alright. Felt we gave them way too much respect first half but once Bannan went off I can't recall another chance for them other than the goal. We were looking more likely to equalise at that point and they didn't seem to have any threat. Two very soft goals from poor errors...why has Conlon put his hands anywhere near the ball?

What Wednesday did very well, and they did it in the home game, was closing down immediately. It felt like nobody had any time on the ball and so we constantly gave it away. We bypassed it better second half but a moment of quality against the run of play killed it. We needed to score one of the 3 chances we had either side of half time but we just lack that quality at the moment. Midfield is an issue as it's severely lacking in decent ball players.

Great old stadium is Hillsborough but it's in a bit of a state and the view was awful...is there thoughts about redevelopment or moving? Home fans were very quiet but I guess it's not a big fixture for them.

It's the sort of fixture we shouldn't really be targeting points from but I can't help thinking if we'd had a bit of a go first half like we did second then we might have got something.

Not at our best and after Clarke changed it up Vale grew into the game, I was impressed with Sammy Robson.

Atmosphere has been shit for years, the band haven't helped, 20 odd years of little success is another factor.

Hillsborough is tired, rumours we are looking at sites to move cos the council are so difficult with everything.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
I think there are times when shithousery is a legitimate response and it is for the ref to manage it, and oppo to find a way. I know it is annoying, but as long as it is not every game I think it is okay. We certainly did it against Wycombe at Adam’s Park this year. Funny enough several teams have tried it on us this year, fair enough if they tried to match our style only we would benefit. It is for us to set up the team with the right players to get around such defensive approaches.
Nothing wrong with it, just admit if you do it and move on. It does appear that whenever we try it our players are booked, but at the Cheltenham game fir example they were just allowed to do it without punishment

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I've openly admitted we do it, but you seem perturbed by my point that we don't do it every week - a point backed up by a supporter of our most recent opponents before last night.

I've not been away this season, but the two away games I've seen on ifollow (last night and Charlton) we've come away with battling 1-0 wins. We were lucky against Charlton, leaping on a mistake by their keeper. Last night we were awful at the basics and rode our luck, we got a decent goal on the half hour and then we shithoused the second half away. Last season, we'd have lost that game in the second half because of an inability to manage the game.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Not at our best and after Clarke changed it up Vale grew into the game, I was impressed with Sammy Robson.

Atmosphere has been shit for years, the band haven't helped, 20 odd years of little success is another factor.

Hillsborough is tired, rumours we are looking at sites to move cos the council are so difficult with everything.

Yeah he’s got some promise Sammy, needs to work on the basics of the game a bit especially defending and also to realise not every time he touches the ball he has to try a Cruyff turn or step over etc. Only young though.

Think Byers was excellent for Wednesday especially with losing Bannan early. Really controlled things in the middle. Not sure what Wednesday fans think of him but Mighten looks a player that would really frustrate me in the sense of you wanting just a bit more from him.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Frustrated by last night but a point away from home is always decent. Again stupid mistakes cost us and we struggle against teams that park the bus and occasionally counter-attack like Pompey did. Their first goal was class but the second just poor defending. I can see why Pompey fans are getting frustrated with their manager, they seemed to show no desire to win the game after we equalised, they seemed very happy with the draw.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
All the cliches are out for our game tonight - backs to the wall, free swing etc. we’re injury hit, out of form and away to a play off side who usually take about five times what we do away.

1-0 U’s

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

We went to a pub called The Broadfield on the way in which was decent and then a place just along from there.

If I were the owners I'd ban that fucking drum. Whoever thinks that's a good idea to create atmosphere needs sectioning.

Good sign for you guys that even though you're not at your best you're grinding out wins.

dannylad01

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Twitter
@dannytudor01
I've openly admitted we do it, but you seem perturbed by my point that we don't do it every week - a point backed up by a supporter of our most recent opponents before last night.

I've not been away this season, but the two away games I've seen on ifollow (last night and Charlton) we've come away with battling 1-0 wins. We were lucky against Charlton, leaping on a mistake by their keeper. Last night we were awful at the basics and rode our luck, we got a decent goal on the half hour and then we shithoused the second half away. Last season, we'd have lost that game in the second half because of an inability to manage the game.
It's right what one of the other Cheltenham fans has said further up, it's up to the ref to manage the game and he completely lost control in the second half leading up to the double red card. The only time he penalised Southwood for time-wasting was the first time in years I've seen a referee give an indirect free kick for the keeper holding the ball too long, and even then he didn't book him. They should do it more (our keeper included would be a prime example).

The red card incident was so preventable had he given a free kick for the obvious shirt pull on Shipley seconds before, which he ignored. He then somehow missed the awful tackle by Raglan and played on, which resulted in the melee. Haven't seen what Leahy was sent off for, but he was edge all night getting frustrated. He then restarted the game with a drop ball back to Cheltenham, so couldn't have sent Raglan off for the foul! 10v10 Cheltenham saw the game out fairly comfortably.

Even though Shrewsbury were the better team and should have won, as you rightly said Southwood only made one save, which was a fantastic save. I think its also the only save he's had to make against us in the 2 games this season.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Particularly when at the end of it you either lose the ball in a dangerous area or end up playing it long anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!