Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
navigate_up_256_zpso3xlwurv.png
28. Boardwalk Empire
Points: 80 | Lists: 6 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 93rd | 2011 Position: 218th
Seasons: 5 | Episodes: 56

Brilliant periodical drama, which ended too soon - 1st season starts off slow but you'll be happy that you've stuck with it by S2.

Boardwalk Empire is an American period crime drama set in Atlantic City, New Jersey, during the Prohibition era and stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson.

The pilot episode, directed by Martin Scorsese, was produced at a cost of $18 million. On September 1 2009, HBO picked up the series for an additional 11 episodes. The series premiered on September 19, 2010, and completed its five-season run on October 26, 2014.

Boardwalk Empire received widespread critical acclaim, particularly for its visual style and basis on historical figures, as well as for Buscemi's lead performance. The series received forty Primetime Emmy Award nominations, including two for Outstanding Drama Series, winning seventeen. The series also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama in 2011 and two Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series in 2011 and 2012.

BCFC Jordan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
One of my favourite shows. Was in the top 3 of my list. Shame it was cancelled because the final season felt a bit rushed due to it.

Top quality period drama, S1 starts off a little slow and puts people off. If the prohibition era of history is interesting to you, you're almost guaranteed to love it.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
Now things are running a bit better, we shall continue!!!!

27. The Big Bang Theory
Points: 82 | Lists: 8 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 45th | 2011 Position: 64th
Seasons: 8 | Episodes: 183

It’s on all the time and I don’t get bored of watching it.

The Big Bang Theory is an American sitcom, which premiered on CBS in September 2007. A ninth season is due next month. The show is primarily centred on five characters living in Pasadena, California. Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, both physicists at 'Caltech', who share an appartment; Penny, a waitress and aspiring actress who later becomes a pharmaceutical representative, and who lives across the hall; and Leonard and Sheldon's similarly geeky and socially awkward friends and co-workers, aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitx and astrophysicist Raj Koothrappali. Geekiness and intellect of the four guys is contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense.

Over time, supporting characters have been promoted to starring roles: Bernadette Rostenkowski, (Howard's girlfriend and later wife), Amy Farrah Fowler (Sheldon's girlfriend), and Stuart Bloom (comic book store owner).

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
26. The Crystal Maze *
Points: 83 | Lists: 8 | Number One's: 1 | 2013 Position: 99th | 2011 Position: 53rd
Seasons: 6 | Episodes: 83​

The Crystal Maze is a British game show, which was originally shown on Channel 4 between February 1990 and August 1995. There was one series per year, with the first four presented by Richard O'Brien and the final two by Ed Tudor-Pole (who was shit).

The show was originally intended to be a British remake of the French show 'Fort Boyard'. However, the unavailability of the French shows set led to a reinvention of the format, using themed zones as a means to keep the show visually fresh.

The series is set in "The Crystal Maze", which features four different zones set in various periods of time and space. A team of six contestants take part in a series of challenges in order to win crystals. Each crystal gives the team five seconds of time inside The Crystal Dome, the centrepiece of the maze where the contestants take part in their final challenge.

The maze cost £250,000 to build and was the size of two football pitches. At its height the show was the most watched on Channel 4, regularly attracting between 4 and 6 million viewers.

On 10 June 2015, almost 20 years after the last episode aired, it was announced that The Crystal Maze would be making a comeback as a "live immersive experience" in London, starting in Autumn 2015. A kickstarter was launched in the hope of raising £250,000. So far it has raised over £927,000. Richard O'Brien returns as part of the experience, but will not run around the maze with the contestants. There are currently no plans for the show to return to tv, but it has not been ruled out.

That theme tune!!! :wub:

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
NewEntry_zpsvwm9tjgn.png
25. True Detective
Points: 84 | Lists: 9 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: N/A | 2011 Position: N/A
Seasons: 2 | Episodes: 16

Only been one series of this, as I send in this list, but it was really good and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. Detective Farty Fart.

Only one series so couldn't put it too high, otherwise would be in my top 10. The acting in it is unbelievable from both lead actors. Shame about the slightly disappointing ending.

True Detective is an American crime drama, and is this lists highest new entry. Premiering on HBO in January 2014, it is currently reaching the conclusion of it second season. Designed as an anthology, each season will be structured as a disparate, self-contained narrative, employing new cast ensembles and following various sets of characters and settings.

The show's first season, starring Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Michael Potts, and Tory Kittles, takes place in Louisiana and follows a pair of Louisiana State Police homicide detectives, and their pursuit of a serial killer over a seventeen-year period. Season two, which premiered in June 2015, is set in California and focuses on the interweaving stories of officers from three cooperating police departments and a criminal-turned-businessman after the body of a corrupt city manager is found on the side of a highway. It stars Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, Kelly Reilly, and Vince Vaughn.

Since airing, True Detective has received favorable reviews from critics and consistently high ratings for HBO. The program has been nominated for and won numerous awards and other accolades, chiefly for its acting, cinematography, writing, and direction.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
24. Prison Break
Points: 85 | Lists: 7 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 25th | 2011 Position: 58th
Seasons: 4 | Episodes: 81​

Prison Break is an American serial drama, which was broadcast on Fox for four seasons from 2005 until 2009. The series revolves around two brothers. One brother has been sentenced to death for a crime he did not commit, and the other devises an elaborate plan to help his brother escape prison and clear his name.

The series was originally turned down by Fox in 2003, which was concerned about the long-term prospects of such a series. Following the popularity of serialized prime time television series Lost and 24, Fox decided to back production in 2004. The first season received generally positive reviews, and performed well in the ratings. The first season was originally planned for a 13-episode run, but was extended to include an extra nine episodes due to its popularity.

In June 2015, it was announced that a limited series revival was in development at Fox. In August 2015, it was announced that a 10-episode limited series was ordered, to debut on Fox in 2016

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
23. The Royle Family *
Points: 86 | Lists: 7 | Number One's: 1 | 2013 Position: 42nd | 2011 Position: 82nd
Seasons: 3 | Episodes: 25

One of my all time favourites. The first three series were excellent. The specials, not so much but Jim must be one of the best comedy characters. My arse!

The Royle Family is a British sitcom shown on the BBC, which ran for three series between 1998 and 2000, and specials from 2006 to 2012. It centres on the lives of a television-fixated Manchester family, the Royles, comprising family patriarch Jim Royle (Ricky Tomlinson), his wife Barbara (Sue Johnston), their daughter Denise (Caroline Aherne), their son Antony (Ralf Little) and Denise's fiance (later husband) David (Craig Cash).

The series features simple production values and a stereotypical portrayal of low income family life at the turn of the millennium. The scripts contain often banal conversations. Almost all of the episodes take place in the Royles' home; most centre on the telly-centric living room. Aherne and Cash co-wrote every episode, along with Henry Normal (series one), Carmel Morgan (series two), and Phil Mealey (five Christmas specials).

In a list of the 100 greatest British television programmes drawn up by the British Film Institute in 2000 and voted on by industry professionals, The Royle Family was placed 31st. In a 2004 poll to find Britain's best sitcom, The Royle Family was placed 19th out of 100 nominations. The series has also won several BAFTA awards.

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
Big Bang Theory - absolute horseshit but I can see why it's popular.
The Crystal Maze - great TV when there's nothing else on.
True Detective - Loved the first series, haven't watched the second.
Prison Break - Pass, never seen it.
Royle Family - One of the best comedies ever.

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
I'm in the middle of watching season 8 of TBBT. Bit disappointed by the lack of momentum the show is proposing but then again Lorre likes his shows to be just good fun. Stories don't really mean anything but I was still expecting a better outcome from the last episode of season 7. It's great to watch when you've got nothing to do. The actors are good and it's one of the rare show I can watch over and over without getting tired of it.

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
Prison Break was on my list, not as high as it was before - it got a bit silly in S3. Series 1 was quality though. The Royle Family was high on mine, my favourite comedy - there's just no beating how clever but funny each scene is.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
22. The IT Crowd
Points: 91 | Lists: 7 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 69th | 2011 Position: 251st
Seasons: 4 | Episodes: 26​

The IT Crowd is a British sitcom which aired on Channel 4 from 2006 to 2010, with a special to conclude the series in 2013. The show starred Chris O'Dowd, Richard Ayoade, Katherine Parkinson, Noel Fielding and Matt Berry. The "IT" in the show's title can be pronounced as the letters IT, as in the abbreviation for information technology, or as the word "it".

Set in the London offices of the fictional Reynholm Industries, the show revolves around the three staff members of its IT department: a geeky genius named Maurice Moss (Ayoade), the work-shy Roy Trenneman (O'Dowd), and Jen Barber (Parkinson), the department head/relationship manager, who knows nothing about IT. The show also focuses on the bosses of Reynholm Industries: Denholm Reynholm (Chris Morris) and later, his son Douglas (Matt Berry).

The comedy premiered on Channel 4 on 3 February 2006, and ran for four series of six episodes each. Although a fifth series was commissioned, it was never produced. The programme was concluded with a special, one-off episode, aired on 27 September 2013.

Reactions: Cas

Cas

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
My favourite episode of the IT Crowd is the one where Roy has to pretend he's disabled. "Willies, willies, I love willies."

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
21. Pointless
Points: 91 | Lists: 8 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 29th | 2011 Position: 235th
Seasons: 14 (7) | Episodes: 734 (86)
brackets represent 'Pointless Celebrities'​

Pointless is a British quiz shown aired on the BBC from August 2009. Originally shown on BBC Two, it was moved the BBC One in 2011 following its success. The show is hosted by Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman. Contestants on the programme are tasked with finding obscure answers to questions. To date, there have been 14 series, plus seven celebrity series. As of July 2015, series 15 is currently filming. The format has been exported to other European countries.

You're better off watching an episode than these clips, but here we go...

Hooray

Reaction score
Supports
Norwich City
IT Crowd (5th) and Pointless (7th) both on my list.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
20. Sherlock
Points: 95 | Lists: 8 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 59th | 2011 Position: 177th
Seasons: 3 | Episodes: 9​

Disappointing third season but the S2 finale was gripping television. Cumberbatch and Freeman are both very good, hence why they can never find time to film due to the demand for them elsewhere.

I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan and I was sceptical that this version would be any good. It's more than surpassed my expectations. Very clever and brilliantly written. The two leads are also excellent.

Sherlock is a British crime drama, and a contemporary adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories. The series stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr John Watson. Nine episodes have been produced, three per series. These were broadcast in 2010, 2012, and 2014. The third series became the UK's most watched drama series since 2001 (when the current rating measurement system came in). Sherlock is a big money maker for the BBC, having been sold to over 200 territories.

Critical reception has been highly positive, with many reviews praising the quality of the writing, performances, and direction. Sherlock has been nominated for numerous awards including: BAFTAs, Emmys, and Golden Globe, winning several awards across a variety of categories. The show received the most wins at the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards including Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special for Moffat, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for Cumberbatch, and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for Freeman. In addition, the show was also honoured with a Peabody Award in 2011.

Sherlock has been renewed for a fourth series. The three-episode series is scheduled to be filmed in early 2016, following a full-length Christmas 2015 special that went into production in January 2015.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
19. How I Met Your Mother
Points: 97 | Lists: 10 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 35th | 2011 Position: 48th
Seasons: 9 | Episodes: 208

It was good sometimes.

How I Met Your Mother rather surprisingly given it turned to shit and THAT ending, moves up in the list having finished 35th in 2013. It's the first show to make ten lists, and the last before we get to the 100+ pointers.

Often abbreviated as HIMYM, this show is an American sitcom that originally ran on CBS from September 2005 to March 2014. The series follows the main character, Ted Mosby, and his group of friends in Manhattan. As a framing device, Ted, in the year 2030, recounts to his son and daughter the events that led him to meeting their mother.

The series was created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays, who also served as the show's executive producers and were frequent writers. The series was loosely inspired by their friendship when they both lived in New York City.

Known for its unique structure and eccentric humor, How I Met Your Mother has gained a cult following over the years. The show initially received positive reviews, while the later seasons received more mixed reviews. The show was nominated for 28 Emmy Awards, winning nine.

The ninth and final season began airing in September 2013, and concluded in March 2014, with a highly controversial double-length finale episode, which received mostly polarized reviews from critics and fans alike as many believed it contradicted many of the previous episodes.

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
I didn't realise there were so few episodes. Given the hype around it, I might check it out now I know it won't take long to get through it.
Each series has a weak episode but they're still great. As my comment suggests, I had very low expectations as someone who loves the original stories and the Jeremy Brett adaptations however I really enjoy them. A refreshing modern take on them with loads of subtle and not so subtle nods to the originals. Would definitely recommend.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
navigate-down_zpsixmawpp5.png
18. Family Guy
Points: 102 | Lists: 9 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 17th | 2011 Position: 11th
Seasons: 13 | Episodes: 249​

Family Guy is an American adult animated sitcom created by Seth McFarlane. The series centres on the Griffins, a family consisting of parents Peter and Lois; their children Meg, Chris, and Stewie; and their anthropomorphic pet dog Brian. The show is set in the fictional city of Quahog, Rhode Island, and exhibits much of its humour in the form of cutaway gags that often lampoon American culture.

The family was conceived by MacFarlane after developing two animated films, The Life of Larry and Larry & Steve. MacFarlane redesigned the films' protagonist, Larry, and his dog, Steve, and renamed them Peter and Brian, respectively. MacFarlane pitched a seven-minute pilot to Fox in 1998, and the show was greenlit and began production. Shortly after the third season of Family Guy had aired in 2002, Fox canceled the series, with one episode left unaired. Adult Swim burned off the episode in 2003, finishing the series' original run. However, favorable DVD sales and high ratings for syndicated reruns on Adult Swim convinced the network to renew the show in 2004 for a fourth season, which began airing in May 2005.

Family Guy has been nominated for 12 Primetime Emmy Awards and 11 Annie Awards, and has won three of each. In 2009, it was nominated for an Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series, the first time an animated series was nominated for the award since The Flintstones in 1961. Family Guy has also received criticism, including unfavorable comparisons to The Simpsons.

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
17. 24
Points: 108 | Lists: 8 | Number One's: 0 | 2013 Position: 20th | 2011 Position: 13th
Seasons: 9 | Episodes: 204​

24 is an American drama produced for the Fox network, and stars Kiefer Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) agent Jack Bauer. Each 24-episode season covers 24 hours in the life of Bauer, using the real time method of narration. Premiering on November 6 2001, the show spanned 192 episodes over eight seasons, with the series finale broadcast on May 24, 2010. In addition, a television film, 24: Redemption, was broadcast between seasons six and seven (due to a writers strike that year). Fox announced in May 2013 that 24 would return as a 12-episode series titled 24: Live Another Day which aired from May to July 2014.

The series begins with him working for the Los Angeles–based Counter Terrorist Unit, in which he is a highly proficient agent with an "ends justify the means" approach, regardless of the perceived morality of some of his actions. Throughout the series most of the main plot elements unfold like a political thriller. A typical plot has Bauer racing against the clock as he attempts to thwart multiple terrorist plots, including presidential assassination attempts, weapons of mass destruction detonations, bioterrorism, cyber attacks, as well as conspiracies which deal with government and corporate corruption.

24 garnered critical acclaim, winning numerous awards over its eight seasons, including Best Drama Series at the 2003 Golden Globe Awards and Outstanding Drama Series at the 2006 Primetime Emmy Awards. At the conclusion of its eighth season, 24 became the longest-running U.S. espionage-themed television drama ever, surpassing both Mission: Impossible and The Avengers.

A spin-off is currently being planned (although not yet greenlit), whih will see a new younger actor in the lead role. Sutherland may make guest appearances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!