Stickied Transfer Rumours & Confirmed Deals Thread 2023/24

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Either way, I was more pointing to the fact that Warne has only ever worked with goalkeepers of that ilk in starting roles (apart from his very first season which was a bit of a mess) and probably saw Wildsmith as lacking. Now he's got twice, three-times the budget and he's potentially got a worse goalkeeper then that's my reasoning for him going back to market. I'm well aware we can make a complete mess of it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Vickers go back to you. Rumours are that he's potentially leaving.

Vickers was very good when he played but had to play second fiddle once Viktor started to show his true potential.

On his ability and character I would be delighted to have him back but he does seem to get more than his fair share of injuries and I believe he had trouble with one of his hands and ha to have a plate fitted?

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Barkley apparently off to Villa. Seems to be a low fee that basically covers the wages we had him on for the season so maybe a couple of million max id suggest, so we essentially have had him for “free”

Not very surprising considering the season he had and Villa will need a deeper squad with Europe next season. Really hope he does well because I think he’s got a bad rep earlier in his career. He at the least has very much matured or I what I actually suspect is someone who is actually fairly insecure and needs an arm around the shoulder to get the best of him. Definitely better as a deep midfield player too than further advanced.

Who we replace him and Lokonga with is the key question for us. We need at least 2 quality central midfield signings to replace those 2 and possibly another option of the likes of Berry are released

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Berry and Potts both been let go. Both been great servants, Potts was signed under Potts and a reliable steady option. We had a year option on Berry but both decided it was better to let him go and find regular football as he’s become an impact player.

Love a bit of Luke Berry and whilst the time is right I’m sad to see him go. Remember what a genuine shock it was when we signed him at the time and was genuine sign Jones was taking on the lessons of the prior season midfield issues seriously. Played in a wonderfully attacking and entertaining side that season and recovered from a horrific ankle/leg injury to help win league 1 the next without losing any of his bravery and fighting style that an injury like that could have done. Can see him linking up with NJ again at Charlton or heading back to Cambridge as I think he’s settled in this sort of area.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Linked with Mikel Miller from Plymouth. Another 28yr old on a free (if true). Absolute madness that a club like us is taking such a short term approach to recruitment.

No idea if he's any good but I'm hoping he stays at Plymouth, or goes to Pompey.

Him and Joe Williams is the most 'we're aiming to finish 14th' business there is.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Linked with Mikel Miller from Plymouth. Another 28yr old on a free (if true). Absolute madness that a club like us is taking such a short term approach to recruitment.

No idea if he's any good but I'm hoping he stays at Plymouth, or goes to Pompey.

Him and Joe Williams is the most 'we're aiming to finish 14th' business there is.

Mikel was fine in League 1 but he only got 9 games with us in the Championship. He suffered from quite a few injuries so that didn't help.

To offset that he seemed to do ok at Plymouth.

Would I be happy to sign him back?
Not now we've signed Reece James and also have Cohen Bramall.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Mikel was fine in League 1 but he only got 9 games with us in the Championship. He suffered from quite a few injuries so that didn't help.

To offset that he seemed to do ok at Plymouth.

Would I be happy to sign him back?
Not now we've signed Reece James and also have Cohen Bramall.
Bloody hell, Reece James is complete turd so that's a terrifying review. Fingers crossed this is agent talk.

That said Rotherham fans slagged off Darnell Fisher and the guy was quality.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Bloody hell, Reece James is complete turd so that's a terrifying review. Fingers crossed this is agent talk.
That
said Rotherham fans slagged off Darnell Fisher and the guy was quality.

Fisher was never a popular player here, he always thought he was better than the reality.
The only useful thing he's ever done in his career is squeeze Callum Paterson's nuts (twice).

Most Wednesday fans have a higher opinion of Reece James than you seem to have.
I'm assuming it probably has more to do with his connection with Blackpool than his ability.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Fisher was never a popular player here, he always thought he was better than the reality.
The only useful thing he's ever done in his career is squeeze Callum Paterson's nuts (twice).

Most Wednesday fans have a higher opinion of Reece James than you seem to have.
I'm assuming it probably has more to do with his connection with Blackpool than his ability.
Fisher was one of the best RBs in the Championship under Alex Neil. Was good for Boro too until his career ending injury.

Reece James is way off this level and will no doubt be moved on if you come up, same as Rafferty. Your business seems a bit odd to me, they're players who might get you up but won't keep you there, and might be hard to shift unless they're all on one year deals?

James actually came through our youth setup.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Fisher was one of the best RBs in the Championship under Alex Neil. Was good for Boro too until his career ending injury.

Reece James is way off this level and will no doubt be moved on if you come up, same as Rafferty. Your business seems a bit odd to me, they're players who might get you up but won't keep you there, and might be hard to shift unless they're all on one year deals?

James actually came through our youth setup.

We'll agree to differ on Fisher, maybe he grew up a bit at Preston but he was thought of as a bit of a knob during his time here, so that's how he's remembered.

Rafferty, James, Raggett, JCH and McWilliams are all on 2 year contracts and it might take us 2 years to be completive in League 1 following the reign of Taylor and the clear out that SE has had to do.

The first 4 have all been promoted to the Championship, McWilliams was promoted with Northampton to League 1.
So you might now see SE's thinking, get rid of players used to losing every week and replace them with winners

If we are fortunate enough to get promoted next year I would back SE to keep us up over Warne or Taylor or Richardson.

I noticed that James had been at Blackburn and Preston as a kid.
It's interesting that Manchester Utd thought he was worth a gamble for nearly 3 years.
He was a regular in their reserve team and well thought of, though obviously never going to get in the first team.
Indeed we had him on loan for 8 games from them so he is known to us.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
We'll agree to differ on Fisher, maybe he grew up a bit at Preston but he was thought of as a bit of a knob during his time here, so that's how he's remembered.

Rafferty, James, Raggett, JCH and McWilliams are all on 2 year contracts and it might take us 2 years to be completive in League 1 following the reign of Taylor and the clear out that SE has had to do.

The first 4 have all been promoted to the Championship, McWilliams was promoted with Northampton to League 1.
So you might now see SE's thinking, get rid of players used to losing every week and replace them with winners

If we are fortunate enough to get promoted next year I would back SE to keep us up over Warne or Taylor or Richardson.

It's interesting that Manchester Utd thought he was worth a gamble for nearly 3 years.
He was a regular in their reserve team and well thought of, though obviously never going to get in the first team.
The problem is if you get promotion this coming season. You will have another season with the same squad
I think it applies to Derby this coming season
Portsmouth have identified this and got rid of players they dont see as Championship standard.
As strange as it sounds you may be better if you dont go up next season but go up the following.....Fresh slate

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End

Man United picking him up after we released him was bizarre. I can only assume it was a favour to the family as his brother Matty came up through the ranks with them.

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Man United picking him up after we released him was bizarre. I can only assume it was a favour to the family as his brother Matty came up through the ranks with them.

Decent L1 player is James. Tells its own story that he’s been binned by everyone after promotion to Championship.

Our first link of the summer is Mika Biereth on loan from Arsenal. We tried to get him after he was on loan at Motherwell but he chose Sturm Graz and ended up winning the league there so fair play.

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
The problem is if you get promotion this coming season. You will have another season with the same squad
Portsmouth have identified this and got rid of players they dont see as Championship standard.
As strange as it sounds you may be better if you dont go up next season but go up the following.....Fresh slate

The same squad? I’d be surprised if any team in the Championship makes more signings than us this summer. Although, I could be wrong, but certainly no less than 12 players by the end of the window.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Rotherham will be in Derby position in the next two seasons either they get promoted this season [strong chance] And then go into the Championship with a ageing squad who know the majority will be getting released the following summer. Or stay down a season and have a complete rebuild in the summer of 26.
Failing to get promotion in the next two seasons i just see them being down here or lge 2 for a long, long time.
Barnsley mark 2

Andy Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe
How are they Barnsley Mark 2 when Barnsley have been nowhere near League 2?

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
How are they Barnsley Mark 2 when Barnsley have been nowhere near League 2?
Barnsley are on the slide.....Very much a yo yo team. They have missed out twice in the play-offs
Wont be top 6 next season.
There best players have been released Connell will more than likely be sold.

Mid table this season then unknown

Why does one who supports a team in the pop and crisp league spend so much time stalking me.

Doubt you have ever been to Scunthorpe, but live on the Wirral

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United

I don't expect an automatic promotion this season but it wouldn't be a total shock if we did.

If we did go up all those players signed are capable of competing in the Championship as part of an improved squad.

Evo is no mug, he'll take every penny offered by the Chairman and move players on if he doesn't think they are up to it.
He did that last time he was here and kept us up.

In any case, the best we can hope for is season after season of struggle.

The money flying about in the Championship is obnoxious, teams of our size have little to no chance of competing unless we get some foreign backing, we are what we are.

I haven't got a problem with it so long as we stay competitive in this league.
Away days in the Championship are no where near as good as in this league anyway so its always good to re-visit.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Rotherham will be in Derby position in the next two seasons either they get promoted this season [strong chance] And then go into the Championship with a ageing squad who know the majority will be getting released the following summer. Or stay down a season and have a complete rebuild in the summer of 26.
Failing to get promotion in the next two seasons i just see them being down here or lge 2 for a long, long time.
Barnsley mark 2

You do talk some crap, we got rid of 11 players and sent 5 loanees back.
We've signed 5 so far (one of them is 25 yrs old BTW).

Do you think we will sign another 6 players over 30 and then get 5 loanees over 30.

You come across as thinking Bolton are some sort of Mega Club compared to the likes of Barnsley, nobody else thinks that.

Barnsley will be just fine and they'll probably beat us at Oakwell just like they always do.

One thing I can guarantee is that if they had got to Wembley they would have put up a better show than your lot

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
You do talk some crap, we got rid of 11 players and sent 5 loanees back.
We've signed 5 so far (one of them is 25 yrs old BTW).

Do you think we will sign another 6 players over 30 and then get 5 loanees over 30.

You come across as thinking Bolton are some sort of Mega Club compared to the likes of Barnsley, nobody else thinks that.

Barnsley will be just fine and they'll probably beat us at Oakwell just like they always do.

One thing I can guarantee is that if they had got to Wembley they would have put up a better show than your lot
Barnsley have released 12 first team squad including the likes of Cole ,Kane, Cadden and Williams
Phillips and Connell are there two assets, we will see if they are still there come August
McAtee wont return..........No Bolton are no Mega club and are bleeding money at present....We released two ageing players all the rest are contracted......You cannot keep re-building a team every August
These are teams who gamble on getting to the Championship and are falling short. Bolton averaged over 20k last season and the stadium has a profitable hotel, conference facilities and all year stadium use.
Yet we have been bailed out the last three/four seasons by outside investment.
So no i dont talk crap
Return to me in two/tree seasons if it goes tits up

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Barnsley have released 12 first team squad including the likes of Cole ,Kane, Cadden and Williams
Phillips and Connell are there two assets, we will see if they are still there come August
McAtee wont return..........No Bolton are no Mega club and are bleeding money at present....We released two ageing players all the rest are contracted......You cannot keep re-building a team every August
These are teams who gamble on getting to the Championship and are falling short. Bolton averaged over 20k last season and the stadium has a profitable hotel, conference facilities and all year stadium use.
Yet we have been bailed out the last three/four seasons by outside investment.
So no i dont talk crap
Return to me in two/tree seasons if it goes tits up
If what goes tits up?

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
If what goes tits up?
if you are in the bottom half of league one, three managers down and two re-builds later
For what its worth i think you will do well this season, but it is a big gamble with your plan if it does not pay off

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
if you are in the bottom half of league one, three managers down and two re-builds later
For what its worth i think you will do well this season, but it is a big gamble with your plan if it does not pay off

But that can happen and has happened before at many clubs.

I'm sure they didn't intend it, it's just the sometimes shit happens.

You can give yourselves a better chance of avoiding it by the Chairman making good decisions but it's no use worrying about it.

Also, we haven't made any gamble yet, just signed players used to winning and we still probably need another 10 or 11 so the average age will no doubt reduce.

It's also worth noting, though some of them are 30-31 years old, the ones we got rid of averaged 36 years old.

Edit sorry 36 is a typo ....... should be 33 but nearly all had deadful injury records while here.

Last edited:

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Barnsley mark 2

Derby’s ’aging squad’ going into the Championship includes just six players over 30, with only one of them over 33.. by the way.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Derby’s ’aging squad’ going into the Championship includes just six players over 30, with only one of them over 33.. by the way.
Yes because you have released them all.....You are going into the Championship with a re-build
You got away with it this season and got the promotion.
Derby are now financially in a better position than when they last in the Championship and as such may pay inflated wages to attract new players.
If Rotherham go up in the coming season they will not be able to release these players because they will be over 30 with one year left on there contract. Not a good recipe for team building

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Yes because you have released them all.....You are going into the Championship with a re-build
You got away with it this season and got the promotion.
Derby are now financially in a better position than when they last in the Championship and as such may pay inflated wages to attract new players.
If Rotherham go up in the coming season they will not be able to release these players because they will be over 30 with one year left on there contract. Not a good recipe for team building

Why would we want to get rid of them if they've just proved their worth by getting us promoted.

At the very least they would be very good squad players, they'll only be 31 not quite ready for the knackers yard.

One of our most consistent players when fit last season was Lee Peltier and he was 37.

Don't you worry about us, let Mr Stewart do that, it's his responsibility.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Why would we want to get rid of them if they've just proved their worth by getting us promoted.

At the very least they would be very good squad players, they'll only be 31 not quite ready for the knackers yard.

One of our most consistent players when fit last season was Lee Peltier and he was 37.

Don't you worry about us, let Mr Stewart do that, it's his responsibility.
I will leave it at that, best of luck next season

Andy Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe
I can see Rotherham finishing at least 15 points above Bolton next season

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I can see Rotherham finishing at least 15 points above Bolton next season
Like i said you know nothing about football, but it is a forum so i respect your view

I predict the dog and duck will take three points from Scunthorpe next season

Andy Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe
I know more than you as you don't even go away from home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny69
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV