Tuesday 16th August 2022

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Sounds like we're having/had similar problems. Lincoln fans could relate to nearly all of your post, even the bit about CM's out wide and lack of pace in the side (we played Ted Bishop on the left of a front three at the weekend after a MOTM performance in his preferred CM in midweek).

We really got caught out last season with the similar players and injury records. Got away with it MA's first season, but not last. Still trying to rectify it now.
MApp would do it occasionally with us however it paid off and it was always measured against risk. We secured Rob Hall’s services but had to wait a few months until he was fit. He was a cut above once he got him playing and I very much doubt if he were fit we’d have got anywhere near him.

In 2022 we have a top four League One budget and we don’t need to do it. It’s very much a KR ‘thing’. The rewards are largely not sufficient.

Here’s to a 0-0 then!

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
MApp would do it occasionally with us however it paid off and it was always measured against risk. We secured Rob Hall’s services but had to wait a few months until he was fit. He was a cut above once he got him playing and I very much doubt if he were fit we’d have got anywhere near him.

In 2022 we have a top four League One budget and we don’t need to do it. It’s very much a KR ‘thing’. The rewards are largely not sufficient.

Here’s to a 0-0 then!
Would settle for that. No idea when/if we have ever started a league season with 4 draws!

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
I dont care who you play, there are no easy games in this league, certainly from Fleetwood's perpective that is

Cheltenham at home and they will have to work very hard to secure 3 points. Without doubt the squad is much improved from last season and as I have said on here before, wait until the end of October before see how the team is beginning to shape up. I guess that applies to every team up and down the land. A hard fought game with Fleetwood just about coming on top for a win

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion

Here’s to a 0-0 then!
The must be a point when you have to change the manager. Especially if you finish 8th again. The squad is capable, so you have to look at the gaffer.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
The must be a point when you have to change the manager. Especially if you finish 8th again. The squad is capable, so you have to look at the gaffer.
For all his years in football Karl Robinson has a really shit conversion rate in terms of promotion, just once!!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Don't know what to expect from MK. They've had a poor start but they're expected to challenge. I wonder if losing some of their best players has knocked them a bit. The tough games come thick and fast in this league, unlike league 2 where there was a few games you'd expect to pick up points.

If we continue to develop the fitness of some of our key players then hopefully we'll do ok. We finally looked like a league 1 team on Saturday, even before Bolton were down to 10 men.

A loss isn't disastrous in one of the harder away games, a draw would be excellent and mean only 1 defeat in 4 games, midtable form which I would take. A win and it will be a great start really.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is such a lazy mistake made by people reliant on autocorrect.
Tbf, I don’t think this is an autocorrect issue - but rather a ‘slang’ issue.

I think it’s an evolution of merging could have, could’ve into could of. I’d hazard a guess that ‘could of’ has been about before Word

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I suppose the boom of social media and forums has just made peoples stupidity more noticeable than ever before.

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth

Here’s to a 0-0 then!
How come you got a top 4 budget?

The Jovial Forester

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Tbf, I don’t think this is an autocorrect issue - but rather a ‘slang’ issue.

I think it’s an evolution of merging could have, could’ve into could of. I’d hazard a guess that ‘could of’ has been about before Word
I looked it up out of interest and it's in books printed in the 19th century and earlier, usually to represent dialect speech, think you're right here.

bigfatron

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Portsmouth away is a really tough one for the U's - our first five games are four against expected top 8 teams, plus champions-elect (trademark Devon_Lad) Exeter, so if we come away with any results from the Pompey and Charlton games I'll be pleased.

Pigott will score against us - ex-U's ALWAYS score against us - we might as well give them a 1-0 start!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Don't know what to expect from MK. They've had a poor start but they're expected to challenge. I wonder if losing some of their best players has knocked them a bit. The tough games come thick and fast in this league, unlike league 2 where there was a few games you'd expect to pick up points.

If we continue to develop the fitness of some of our key players then hopefully we'll do ok. We finally looked like a league 1 team on Saturday, even before Bolton were down to 10 men.

A loss isn't disastrous in one of the harder away games, a draw would be excellent and mean only 1 defeat in 4 games, midtable form which I would take. A win and it will be a great start really.
Yeah they've got a few injuries like us as well I believe, I just hope from our point of view we put in a performance and build on the platform from the weekend.

Last season our away form was excellent, second best in L2 so hopefully we can put the Exeter debacle behind us and pick some of that up from last year, we could really do with winning one of the two away games this week.

It will be interesting to see who plays as we are still getting some players back to fitness, surely TC wont do 3 games in 6 days after 8 months out, and can Proc's manage it. Would like to see Massey get minutes though as he looked a bright spark when he came on against Bolton.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Didn’t even realise with MK they’d brought in Louis Barry who was at Swindon last season as he was talking about playing us in the playoffs last season and how he wants to score in front of us. Shows how much he contributed on those occasions as I totally forgot he was even on the pitch in them two games.

Should be a more pleasant evening temperature wise even if there are thunderstorms and in my case happily only have to travel 10 minutes tonight for the game. If I was naming the team for this I’d be having one eye on the Burton game on Saturday in terms of priorities so would go

Stevens

Forrester
Smith
Hall

Robinson
Walker
Ojo
Charsley
Small

Garrity
Harrison

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Being a Football Manager is hard. It's a thankless task and I for one wouldn't want the impact of football management to impose on my family life. Being a business owner is impactful enough!

This isn't intended as a knock; KR isn't a brilliant manager. He's not bad though. For balance he's done some really good things but he does let himself down with transfers, squad balance is non-existent and he says some very daft things because he likes to talk. A lot.

He has his limitations and he is incredibly stubborn. Heck, he's one of the longest serving Football Manager's in the country and he has yet (despite saying it but not acting) not addressed the imbalance of a squad which he has recruited. He's been here for four years and he still hasn't got that right. It's a concern. But, if he is being judged on improvement then he has certainly done that. He picked us up and got the most out of a dreadful set of players and for that he deserves credit. His ceiling is probably League One mind. I do tend to agree with you that he is held in such high regard by so many but has achieved one promotion in a career spanning 12(?) years. That's just not very good.

In seasons gone I have argued that he probably won't ever get us relegated. Will he ever get us promoted? My view is probably not. But people seem to like him and that gives him a pass that few other managers don't get.

The argument centered around plucky underdog/avoiding relegation doesn't wash with so many now given our more recent levels of spending on wages, agent fees, signing on bonuses and transfers. What we paid to Josh Murphy as a signing on bonus this summer was eye watering. CamBran is on circa £10,000 per week and we are paying significantly higher wages than at any point in our history. The owners recently spent £1 million to improve our training ground this summer (it's only a few years old as it is). They are serious about success.

No matter your feelings on football finance, the unsustainable nature of the game and any personal views on my club investing so heavily; given what we pay and how we have invested both the club and supporters should at the very least be able to hold those in positions of power to account. Plucky Oxford scrapping for a play off place was deemed an achievement before and 8th place not such a failure. in 2022 it *should* be catastrophic and if he fails he should go. Will he? I'm not so sure.

However, as you say going for 8th place on our budget isn't 'okay'. Our group of investors are likely one of, if not the wealthiest outside of the Premier League. Anything less than play offs this season would be poor. Right now we look nowhere near. I have no doubt it will come together eventually.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Didn’t even realise with MK they’d brought in Louis Barry who was at Swindon last season as he was talking about playing us in the playoffs last season and how he wants to score in front of us. Shows how much he contributed on those occasions as I totally forgot he was even on the pitch in them two games.

Should be a more pleasant evening temperature wise even if there are thunderstorms and in my case happily only have to travel 10 minutes tonight for the game. If I was naming the team for this I’d be having one eye on the Burton game on Saturday in terms of priorities so would go

Stevens

Forrester
Smith
Hall

Robinson
Walker
Ojo
Charsley
Small

Garrity
Harrison
I think like most of Swindon's management/players and large proportion of their fan base they thought they were up after the first leg to be honest! He was poor over those games but will have to be wary of him as he has some pedigree.

Can't argue much with that team based on our current situation, as I say if we can win one of the two games this week I would be pretty content, after that we have a few weeks with no midweek games (outside the paint pot pizza cup) and should then be set to be in full flow in time for the Portsmouth game (i think that is after Burton?) in terms of players coming back being fully up to speed and hopefully another striker in by then.

Was odd he left Robinson out altogether last week after his superb performance in the cup midweek but would have no issues him coming in, got a feeling he will stick with Cass though.

If resting Procs I would be starting Massey for 60 minutes alongside Harrison and throw Procs on the last 30 if we are chasing the game or Holden if trying to see a result out.

It is still a bit of a weird feeling and I was the same in 2013/14 after a few years away, these still feel like a cup game where we are going to a higher league side! Take's a few weeks to settle into it, hopefully the performance at the weekend settles us a bit more.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
I think like most of Swindon's management/players and large proportion of their fan base they thought they were up after the first leg to be honest! He was poor over those games but will have to be wary of him as he has some pedigree.

Can't argue much with that team based on our current situation, as I say if we can win one of the two games this week I would be pretty content, after that we have a few weeks with no midweek games (outside the paint pot pizza cup) and should then be set to be in full flow in time for the Portsmouth game (i think that is after Burton?) in terms of players coming back being fully up to speed and hopefully another striker in by then.

Was odd he left Robinson out altogether last week after his superb performance in the cup midweek but would have no issues him coming in, got a feeling he will stick with Cass though.

If resting Procs I would be starting Massey for 60 minutes alongside Harrison and throw Procs on the last 30 if we are chasing the game or Holden if trying to see a result out.

It is still a bit of a weird feeling and I was the same in 2013/14 after a few years away, these still feel like a cup game where we are going to a higher league side! Take's a few weeks to settle into it, hopefully the performance at the weekend settles us a bit more.

Aye, to be honest if he does then fair play to him. Clearly a good player but he was one of those who probably didn't live up to billing in the playoffs.

I know what you mean on that. In terms of Vale we are still feeling our way at this level though looked competitive in our two home games at least. I reckon all being well that Wilson will be back for the Cheltenham home game and then who knows we may finally be able to name a full strength team for the first time in what seems over a year. Might be right on Cass and I can see the thinking. If we do come out too open against MK generally they've been one of the better passing sides in the lower leagues so will pick us apart. DC being rather coy on Worrall when asked could well mean he is available for this or Saturday as well I guess.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Aye, to be honest if he does then fair play to him. Clearly a good player but he was one of those who probably didn't live up to billing in the playoffs.

I know what you mean on that. In terms of Vale we are still feeling our way at this level though looked competitive in our two home games at least. I reckon all being well that Wilson will be back for the Cheltenham home game and then who knows we may finally be able to name a full strength team for the first time in what seems over a year. Might be right on Cass and I can see the thinking. If we do come out too open against MK generally they've been one of the better passing sides in the lower leagues so will pick us apart. DC being rather coy on Worrall when asked could well mean he is available for this or Saturday as well I guess.
Wilson is still a big miss for me... he comes on instead of Holden Saturday we probably win that 2-0. Still need 2 more strikers for me, especially with Proctor and Wilson not having the greatest injury records.

Grumpy Grecian

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
After playing 3 teams who'll fancy finishing top 6 in the first 3 games, Fleetwood away should give us a better idea of where we're at.
Don't you mean 4 in your first 4?
(This message has been brought to you by AutoLad Communications Inc) :fish:

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Just the 5 changes.......quality on the bench
One rye on Saturday

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Our game is off, waterlogged pitch. Apologies to any Accy fans making the trip, pretty shit it's happened this late what with petrol prices as they are.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Just the 5 changes.......quality on the bench
One rye on Saturday
Yeah we are definitely saving a couple for the weekend. Bit of a risk but players will be tired after running in the heat with 10 men. At least Stockton isn’t playing

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Either be a masterstroke or complete disaster.

Hussey hasn’t even made the squad since Exeter! Hopefully Benning who was our best player at the weekend, Massey, Cass are all just being rested rather than injured though!

Benning and Cass will definitely be rested. Playing in that heat on Saturday you need to give them rest. Especially the wingbacks.

FGR-Star

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Our game is off, waterlogged pitch. Apologies to any Accy fans making the trip, pretty shit it's happened this late what with petrol prices as they are.
Can’t be helped.

First rain we have had in months and it has been biblical.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Benning and Cass will definitely be rested. Playing in that heat on Saturday you need to give them rest. Especially the wingbacks.
Mal was struggling near the end.

Shame for Massey as he has looked good. Some fans writing this one off but see how we do.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Is this a common thing for you, or just freak monsoon weather conditions? I always thought you were the top of a hill, that ought to help drainage. I hope things are okay for Saturday as we have nearly sold all our allocation, and I suspect we will have by Friday. .

FGR-Star

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Is this a common thing for you, or just freak monsoon weather conditions? I always thought you were the top of a hill, that ought to help drainage. I hope things are okay for Saturday as we have nearly sold all our allocation, and I suspect we will have by Friday. .
Freak. Monsoon conditions.

It has not really rained at all for months. We are in drought.

It tends to not rain much this time of year in the Cotswolds, but on the rare occasions it does, it can be a tad heavy!!

Saturday will be fine, don’t worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!