Welcome back to the EFL Stockport County.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
It’s good to be back!

Had a proper look at the potential teams we’d be up against in comparison to the NL and it doesn’t seem like a big step up in size of club in comparison with the top half of the NL at least.

As you all know we are now bankrolled but as you’d have also seen the majority of our squad is made up of League Two rejects or players who’ve spent their careers in non league and they have been supplemented by big money signings.

Since our takeover just over two years ago there have been six permanent signings that I’d say were marquee and the wedge persuaded them to drop down when they could have been playing in the EFL:

Liam Hogan - At the time he was our first big signing and was Salford’s captain and eventually became our captain too. He’s out of contract and was left out of the 16 today so it’s very likely he’ll be on his way.

John Rooney - Signed for around 100k and produced some moments of magic but didn’t fit into our style under DC and was sold back to Barrow.

Connor Jennings - Had been playing in League One for Tranmere before we picked him up. No doubt our money persuaded him to drop down but he he’s been a huge flop. Lovely guy and thankfully he recovered from cancer but he’s now out of contract and won’t be kept on.

Paddy Madden - Our biggest WTF signing as he was a regular at Fleetwood in League One at the time. 250k fee reportedly and god knows how much in wages but without him we don’t get promoted so he’s been worth it.

Scott Quigley - 75k from Barrow to drop down a division. He claimed it was location not money that saw him drop but I don’t think anyone believes that. He’s fallen out of favour recently with DC and rumours that he might head back to Barrow.

Antoni Sarcevic - Right place, right time with this one as had a big falling out with Evatt shortly after the transfer window had shut. Actually didn’t need to pay a fee but the offer of a big wedge and our location persuaded him to join us rather than wait it out until January. He, just like Madden has been crucial in our promotion.

I should imagine we might make a big signing or two this summer and push for a top seven spot. We lack pace at the back and up top so would hope we address that.

If Wrexham come through the playoffs I see them being in the auto race. They are a couple of notches up the bankrolled ladder having spent more than us in half the time and can see them making a lot more big money signings this summer.

there isn’t a big difference between the conference and certainly the bottom half of league 2, and i’d expect anyone coming up to survive with relative easy, though i imagine you’d do better than that.

As long as halifax or chesterfield don’t come up i’ll take whatever.

I’d imagine wrexham would be at wembley anyway with a home playoff.

Would he funny of solihull moors come up, the mystery club no-one knows anything about

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
there isn’t a big difference between the conference and certainly the bottom half of league 2, and i’d expect anyone coming up to survive with relative easy, though i imagine you’d do better than that.

As long as halifax or chesterfield don’t come up i’ll take whatever.

I’d imagine wrexham would be at wembley anyway with a home playoff.

Would he funny of solihull moors come up, the mystery club no-one knows anything about
even when we were in the NL nobody knew much about Solihoof Rugby Club

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
They definitely are, the L1 bottom 4 usually contains 2 or 3 very weak sides and its not unheard of back to back relegations to the NL.

Erm, didn't one get automatic promotion and 2 more get in the play-offs from last years batch? I'd be disappointed if we weren't at least top 10 next season, and wouldn't be surprised to see us bounce straight back up depending on recruitment.

I get to watch quite a lot of League Two and NL thanks to my job, and outside 3 or 4 sides the quality is pretty dreadful on the whole. Anyone with a bit of consistency can rise to the top, hence late runs for Bristol Rovers and Stockport in their respective divisions to claim autos. I think on the NL highlights last night they said Stockport were something like 10th at the turn of the year? Rovers weren't much better off. If County can keep rumbling on then there's every chance they'll have a good season, but I think we get to hear it every year that a side will come up from the National League and roll straight through League Two - how often does it ACTUALLY happen though? From memory, I recall Exeter doing it in 08/09, and Bristol Rovers a few years ago. I'm pretty sure Crawley did it too, but bar that I'm struggling!

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
I probably wouldn’t describe Stockport’s title win a late run, DC took over in November and they had 20 odd game unbeaten streak only drawing about 1, fantastic manager, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some Championship suitors keeping tabs on him there, he’s had success wherever he’s been, still think he’s a massive c*** for ditching us but it is what it is, the bloke is a winner.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Erm, didn't one get automatic promotion and 2 more get in the play-offs from last years batch? I'd be disappointed if we weren't at least top 10 next season, and wouldn't be surprised to see us bounce straight back up depending on recruitment.

I get to watch quite a lot of League Two and NL thanks to my job, and outside 3 or 4 sides the quality is pretty dreadful on the whole. Anyone with a bit of consistency can rise to the top, hence late runs for Bristol Rovers and Stockport in their respective divisions to claim autos. I think on the NL highlights last night they said Stockport were something like 10th at the turn of the year? Rovers weren't much better off. If County can keep rumbling on then there's every chance they'll have a good season, but I think we get to hear it every year that a side will come up from the National League and roll straight through League Two - how often does it ACTUALLY happen though? From memory, I recall Exeter doing it in 08/09, and Bristol Rovers a few years ago. I'm pretty sure Crawley did it too, but bar that I'm struggling!

I think league 2 will be pretty competitive next season.

Whoever of the 3 playoff teams will be in there probably, gillingham and doncaster might be up there if they keep players etc, salford will spend big, bradford might finally wake up, stockport will fancy it.

Won’t be an easy league

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I probably wouldn’t describe Stockport’s title win a late run, DC took over in November and they had 20 odd game unbeaten streak only drawing about 1, fantastic manager, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some Championship suitors keeping tabs on him there, he’s had success wherever he’s been, still think he’s a massive c*** for ditching us but it is what it is, the bloke is a winner.

Fair enough, it was just a comment based on what I heard on the highlights as I said. Looking at it, they were 10th after defeat to Torquay in mid-December, but then seemed to go on the rampage as you say. Either way teams who win titles are rarely fortunate to do so, so fair play to them.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Yep, Stockport picked up 74 points from the last 31 games at 2.39ppg... and that includes losing four of the last eight. It's been a pretty remarkable run since Challinor took over.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
I think league 2 will be pretty competitive next season.

Whoever of the 3 playoff teams will be in there probably, gillingham and doncaster might be up there if they keep players etc, salford will spend big, bradford might finally wake up, stockport will fancy it.

Won’t be an easy league

Definitely an air of expectancy on next season, as far as we’re concerned. Play-offs could be seen as aiming too low.

Hughes factor, larger budget and higher attendances etc…that being said, the league will be as competitive as ever.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Great to be back in the Football League, been some lonely dark moments particularly our spell in the North. As they say though, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The clubs in good shape, good off the pitch and the fanbase core has actually grown since we were last here. A lot of younger demographic too. We used to average 5000ish at L2 level, it'll probably be 6-7k next year as a base average but would end up being the full houses we've seen at the end of the season if we we're going for big prizes. May start seeing plans for ground expansions soon too.

I think we'll be comfortable in terms of adapting to the general league but seen a few of our lot saying we'll go straight up again etc. Not so sure, I think the top of L2 must surely be a step up. I could see us in and around the play-offs. We're ambitious though. We'll try and add to our team this summer, certainly not take away from what is already a pretty good side.

Challinor has worked miracles really, we were flat as a pancake in early November under Simon Rusk treading water mid table with a top 3 budget. Top manager on pretty much every front (Challinor not Rusk!). Inevitable he probably outgrows us one day, he's destined for at least the Championship in my opinion. Hopefully we get another season or two out of him but if a bigger job comes calling, a Championship club or one of those big L1 clubs I wouldn't begrudge him.

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Well done, back in the league after 11 years.

Pleased for Ireland's Number 9 Paddy Madden after we ridiculously sold him for half what we paid for him, but there you go.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
A few things in response to comments above;

TRFC went up via the play-offs to L1 the season we returned to the FL. That was largely with the squad who’d taken us back into the FL. I won’t pick at the still festering demotion scar, but Stockport look a stronger side now than we were and certainly think top 7 is realistic for them next season. Shame to hear about Connor Jennings, we’d have happily kept him when he decided to move on.

The big blot on Challinor’s cv is his failure to get a financially well-backed Fylde team into the FL. That said, he did a great job getting Pools up and making them competitive in L2 after such a rapid turnaround following promotion. Think he’ll continue to do well at Stockport.

Don’t know enough about the relegated L1 teams to give a fair assessment but none look total basket cases and could be in contention for a quick return.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
A few things in response to comments above;

TRFC went up via the play-offs to L1 the season we returned to the FL. That was largely with the squad who’d taken us back into the FL. I won’t pick at the still festering demotion scar, but Stockport look a stronger side now than we were and certainly think top 7 is realistic for them next season. Shame to hear about Connor Jennings, we’d have happily kept him when he decided to move on.

The big blot on Challinor’s cv is his failure to get a financially well-backed Fylde team into the FL. That said, he did a great job getting Pools up and making them competitive in L2 after such a rapid turnaround following promotion. Think he’ll continue to do well at Stockport.

Don’t know enough about the relegated L1 teams to give a fair assessment but none look total basket cases and could be in contention for a quick return.

DC reckoned his budget at Pools was bigger than the one he had at Fylde and we certainly weren't minted, could've just been covering his own back after not getting them promoted mind.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

On your first point yes this year except Rochdale they all did pretty well but them you have your Chesterfield, Southends etc who went straight down again plus the likes of Scunny, Oldham who lasted a couple of seasons and then the likes of Walsall who haven't done much? Crewe look likely to struggle to me but then who knows.

Stockport are a bit different to others who've gone up. They've got loads of cash, invested well in infrastructure, a top manager and a squad that as it stands would at least be top 10 here. There is a gap between the leagues, its not huge and can be bridged once you adapt a bit. That said the top teams here are stronger than anything we ever faced in the NL but with a few signings and plenty of time to prepare, I expect them to have a strong season.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
DC reckoned his budget at Pools was bigger than the one he had at Fylde and we certainly weren't minted, could've just been covering his own back after not getting them promoted mind.
He's definitely covering his arse, they had way more backing than we did.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Definitely is, though equally I bet they regret not sticking with him. Whatever that season was for them, I doubt he would have got them relegated and I'd have backed him to rebuild.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer club..

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Aye, I mean Danny Rowe alone must've had a big goal bonus in his contract, explains why he used to just blammer shots from 40 yards out every week.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
On your first point yes this year except Rochdale they all did pretty well but them you have your Chesterfield, Southends etc who went straight down again plus the likes of Scunny, Oldham who lasted a couple of seasons and then the likes of Walsall who haven't done much? Crewe look likely to struggle to me but then who knows.

Stockport are a bit different to others who've gone up. They've got loads of cash, invested well in infrastructure, a top manager and a squad that as it stands would at least be top 10 here. There is a gap between the leagues, its not huge and can be bridged once you adapt a bit. That said the top teams here are stronger than anything we ever faced in the NL but with a few signings and plenty of time to prepare, I expect them to have a strong season.
Next year looks really tough already so wont be easy for anyone to bounce back.

Stockport will throw money at it, as will Wrexham if they come up or possibly Chesterfield.

Salford will throw money at it but probably finish 9th when they've sacked three managers and signed a whole new squad.

I think Bradford under Mark Hughes will be much improved and the three losing play off sides are looking well run clubs (for a change!) who should all challenge again all with decent sized budgets.

Crawley will either challenge or get relegated by late March with their NFT thingy.

Add in I imagine Tranmere will look to improve and it could be very competitive at the top end.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Could tell he had some talent, especially from set pieces, but we had a very talented team that year, alot of them now play in the championship so he was abit over shadowed and found it hard to nail down a starting place.

Oddly probably his best performances that year was at Bristol Rovers, maybe a reason you signed him.
I think Tisdale was the manager at that point. Probably signed because he was free, and a scouser :lol:
He has been one of our top performers since his first game really, but only signed on a one year deal so we are kinda hoping he signs a longer one

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Welcome back Stockport. You’ve certainly served your time that’s for sure.

We had some fiery games back in the 00s, looking forward to some of that in L1.

Shame it’s a bankrolling return rather than a natural return, but dare I say you probably deserve it.

Out of interest, what level of bankrolling are we talking?

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I think Tisdale was the manager at that point. Probably signed because he was free, and a scouser :lol:
He has been one of our top performers since his first game really, but only signed on a one year deal so we are kinda hoping he signs a longer one
It was definitely Barton as it was your last home game of the season and you were already relegated I think.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was definitely Barton as it was your last home game of the season and you were already relegated I think.
Of course it was, stupid me I was thinking of the earlier away game but I see he didnt even play in that one.
Slowly trying to erase that season from the memory banks...
We finished bottom by a long way yet bounced right back so it just shows things can change quickly. Good luck for next season

Last edited:

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Welcome back Stockport. You’ve certainly served your time that’s for sure.

We had some fiery games back in the 00s, looking forward to some of that in L1.

Shame it’s a bankrolling return rather than a natural return, but dare I say you probably deserve it.

Out of interest, what level of bankrolling are we talking?
If you look at my post further up that gives you an idea Gassy but transfer fees paid since the takeover

Madden - 250k
Rooney - 100k
Quigley - 75k
Crankshaw, Johnson, Rydel, Hogan, Newby - small nominal fees - let’s say 75k between them

We sold back Rooney to Barrow for a small loss and Brighton paid 150k for a teenager that was in our Dev squad so an estimated net spend of 275k on transfer fees in the last 28 months.

We’ve taken unwanted squad players from the likes of Bradford, Port Vale, Hartlepool and Scunthorpe so our transfer strategy has been a mixed bag.

We were in the NLN for 6 years and part time for 7 years so I think gives us some leeway on getting a go at being bankrolled.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Next year looks really tough already so wont be easy for anyone to bounce back.

Stockport will throw money at it, as will Wrexham if they come up or possibly Chesterfield.

Salford will throw money at it but probably finish 9th when they've sacked three managers and signed a whole new squad.

I think Bradford under Mark Hughes will be much improved and the three losing play off sides are looking well run clubs (for a change!) who should all challenge again all with decent sized budgets.

Crawley will either challenge or get relegated by late March with their NFT thingy.

Add in I imagine Tranmere will look to improve and it could be very competitive at the top end.
Outside bet - Walsall.
Flynn is having a massive clear out and signing new players. He did a good job at Newport ( although ultimately failed ).

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Outside bet - Walsall.
Flynn is having a massive clear out and signing new players. He did a good job at Newport ( although ultimately failed ).

With Walsall I’d wait and see if their owner actually backs up his words with actions. If so Flynn is a bloody good manager but not if his hands are tied.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
With Walsall I’d wait and see if their owner actually backs up his words with actions. If so Flynn is a bloody good manager but not if his hands are tied.
Good point. If so, we will have him instead of the sky pundit who talks a good game but has created the most boring Albion team in living memory.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If you look at my post further up that gives you an idea Gassy but transfer fees paid since the takeover

Madden - 250k
Rooney - 100k
Quigley - 75k
Crankshaw, Johnson, Rydel, Hogan, Newby - small nominal fees - let’s say 75k between them

We sold back Rooney to Barrow for a small loss and Brighton paid 150k for a teenager that was in our Dev squad so an estimated net spend of 275k on transfer fees in the last 28 months.

We’ve taken unwanted squad players from the likes of Bradford, Port Vale, Hartlepool and Scunthorpe so our transfer strategy has been a mixed bag.

We were in the NLN for 6 years and part time for 7 years so I think gives us some leeway on getting a go at being bankrolled.
Well actually that was what sparked my question - 250k is a lot for NL, no doubt. It’s sizeable for L2, but how far does that go?

Would you pay 500k? Can you afford £1m?

I guess what I’m asking is, what’s the aim and how rich is this owner? Back to L1? The Champ? Further?

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC

Madden - 250k
Rooney - 100k
Quigley - 75k

Rooney was £70k not £100k - but Quigley was £150k not 75K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!