Which sides do you want to see come up from the Connie?

Pick the two sides you most want to see in L2 next season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Southend are they good for away support?

Not usually great as a percentage of home support, but pretty reasonable overall considering they’re in a mud-ridden, backwater hellhole that’s a pain in the arse to get anywhere from.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Almost every game at the Shay between the 2 teams ended with a fight.
I'd say your not exactly walking round with Halo's on when it comes to your behaviour.
Bloody hell, a Halifax supporter terrified that 25 FGR away supporters, [half of them OAPs] want a fight. :ffs:

Get real.
What I said and repeat is that Halifax supporters are their own worst enemy.
They undoubtedly lose the referee's compassion even before the game has started by continually slagging whoever is in charge.
How many games has your team lost when perhaps they should not have done so and blamed refereeing decisions?
Almost certainly more than any other club in the country.

As regards matches between the two teams I'll accept they were usually competitive but I'm sure that's what both sets of fans want.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
I think that the RFU have got it right that in the current circumstances, relegation is unfair on clubs and could ruin them. I would cancel movement between the two divisions for now and review the situation in 2 or 3 years time, when things have settled down a bit and the Conference isn't in total chaos.

No EFL club deserves to join such a badly run league that has totally run out of money and can't make a decision on how to finish their season.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
I think that the RFU have got it right that in the current circumstances, relegation is unfair on clubs and could ruin them. I would cancel movement between the two divisions for now and review the situation in 2 or 3 years time, when things have settled down a bit and the Conference isn't in total chaos.

No EFL club deserves to join such a badly run league that has totally run out of money and can't make a decision on how to finish their season.

I think the EFL had to be satisfied that Stevenage would have a stable league to go into before they'd let relegation happen. For us and Grimsby/Southend, we're all EFL members, and if the National League can't sort itself out then they might not send us down.
That said, however, if we finish bottom two, I would rather we were relegated than spared on a technicality.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Even if there’s some kind of moral argument for this, which I’m not sure there is really, the chances of the EFL giving any kind of precedent to a ring fenced Premier League is less than zero.

There’s a wider discussion to be had about the structure once this is over, though. The NL board is largely bad, but I also think that it’s exposed that having one organisation running essentially one professional league and two semi-professional leagues at the same time is pretty deeply flawed.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Even if there’s some kind of moral argument for this, which I’m not sure there is really, the chances of the EFL giving any kind of precedent to a ring fenced Premier League is less than zero.

There’s a wider discussion to be had about the structure once this is over, though. The NL board is largely bad, but I also think that it’s exposed that having one organisation running essentially one professional league and two semi-professional leagues at the same time is pretty deeply flawed.

Said before... EFL League Three and Not with B teams... it’s not part time anymore like the GM Vauxhall Conference days. Lots of big clubs and some big money down there.

TheShayWay

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax
Bloody hell, a Halifax supporter terrified that 25 FGR away supporters, [half of them OAPs] want a fight. :ffs:

Get real.
What I said and repeat is that Halifax supporters are their own worst enemy.
They undoubtedly lose the referee's compassion even before the game has started by continually slagging whoever is in charge.
How many games has your team lost when perhaps they should not have done so and blamed refereeing decisions?
Almost certainly more than any other club in the country.

As regards matches between the two teams I'll accept they were usually competitive but I'm sure that's what both sets of fans want.
You mean a set of fans that complains every time a decision doesnt go their way? I think you need to get real if you don't think that is the case of every single set of supporters at every game up and down the country.

I cringe when I hear it from our lot on the terraces as I watch the game fairly and if I see we commit a foul I'll accept that however there are many who don't think the side ever commits a foul

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I’ve given ourselves a vote out of pity as it looks like our suitors are lacking with people seemingly opting for a warm weekend trip to sunny Torquay on the south coast as oppose to visiting the famous crooked spire... unbelievable :dis: !!??

I also miss our yellow and blue friends over on the dark side of the M1... honest!

rivals miss each other if they don’t play, but we’re quite happy letting you have some more time down there.

We got 5 seasons down in that godforsaken shithole while you and notts laughed at us, it’d only be fair to let you both experience the same as we got right? good for the soul and all ;)

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Agreed. The NL is a very amateurish organisation trying to run a full-time, professional league which contains a number of fairly big clubs, and has had its day.

A restructure covering league 1 and 2 and the National League is long overdue. League 2 north and south?

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Selfishly, I don’t like regionalisation as I like a long away trip and we’d end up getting shunted between north and south.

I’ve always said that the divisions should be rationalised out to 20 teams each. 46 games in a season, plus three cups in League One and Two, is too many.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Agreed. The NL is a very amateurish organisation trying to run a full-time, professional league which contains a number of fairly big clubs, and has had its day.

A restructure covering league 1 and 2 and the National League is long overdue. League 2 north and south?

The problem with that idea is, clubs like Boreham Wood would receive EFL status, which should never happen.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
The problem with that idea is, clubs like Boreham Wood would receive EFL status, which should never happen.

That's going to happen soon anyway probably, pandemic's shown no signs of stopping them spending. Although they're not doing as well as they should be this season really.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Been in favour of that for a while, well for about four years. Just makes sense.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

It's been happening for years. There are similar clubs to Borehamwood already in the EFL, and plenty of traditionally bigger clubs in the National League and even further down the pyramid. They've got the money. That's football.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

one reason they did away with it in the 1st time is say you have a north and south, only 4 teams from 48 would go up.

I appreciate that the conference system has only one automatic spot with the playoffs but for me that doesn’t work and leaves most clubs with nothing to play for.

Certainly a need for restructure but i’m not regionalisation is the way forward

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
one reason they did away with it in the 1st time is say you have a north and south, only 4 teams from 48 would go up.

I appreciate that the conference system has only one automatic spot with the playoffs but for me that doesn’t work and leaves most clubs with nothing to play for.

That would be another benefit of cutting the leagues down to 20 - fewer teams who know their season is realistically over with a third of it still to play.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Selfishly, I don’t like regionalisation as I like a long away trip and we’d end up getting shunted between north and south.

I’ve always said that the divisions should be rationalised out to 20 teams each. 46 games in a season, plus three cups in League One and Two, is too many.
Nah, Notts would always be in the north.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

You could potentially have 4 down with a 5th relegation spot as a play off.

We regularly ended up in the southern bit of the League Cup and JPT.
League wise I think you'd be fine. It's more the likes of Northampton that might worry.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Ultimately it all comes down to money - either the existing EFL clubs would have to sacrifice some of their TV money and PL solidarity payments to share with the additional clubs in an expanded EFL (zero chance of that), or the TV companies and PL would have to cough up more to cover the extra.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
All I'm saying is that it should be looked at, the regionalisation thing.

A while ago someone on one of our forums posted a League 1 and L2 N/S proposal and it was a canny read. See if I can find it.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I don’t see the need for regionalising it but just incorporate the National Premier into the EFL now you have the money and full time status down there.

Not sure you need to cut down to 20 games either... Pappa John’s most play the reserves and in the League cup and FA Cup you usually get 2-3 games max.

Could maybe drop to 22 I guess but even then clubs won’t likely vote to lose 2 more home games and income.

The depth in England is ridiculous now when you consider you’ve probably got well over 115-120 clubs that are full time.

Might also limit the money bags clubs if the EFL is closer to the regionals that it is now as the EFL has tighter spending rules and squad cap etc and lessen damage to established historical clubs if non league is further away in a financial sense.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
There’s still loads of money bags clubs about, particularly in the NL south. Mind you, Fylde are one of them as well and actually managed to get relegated last season, so it’s becoming a harder league for them as well.

The one thing that the NL does seem to be able to do is allow the historic/traditional league clubs who’ve become basket cases to get their shit together, bottom out and come back stronger. Would say that applies to Oxford, Luton, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere, Mansfield and Leyton Orient. Notts and Chesterfield are probably going to do similar over the next couple of years.

In fact, are Grimsby the only one of what you’d say are well-supported, historic ex-league clubs to fall out of the league, come back and not really kick on anywhere afterwards?

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Mansfield played in as many in the south as it did in the north.

Mansfield isn’t southern!
You're pretty central though and not that badly connected by train so I'm not sure it would be all that bad. Although yeah, I'd have you lot in the north if possible, and obviously everyone loves a day out in Mansfield.

If you don't want to take part we can just stick you in the Northern Premier and you'll have loads of derbies in that.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Said before... EFL League Three and Not with B teams... it’s not part time anymore like the GM Vauxhall Conference days. Lots of big clubs and some big money down there.
But there are still PT teams in it. They're not all necessarily proper PT i.e. train two evenings a week but classed as PT nonetheless.

The NL being a hybrid league allows PT teams to compete at their highest realistic level and not have to go FT. If it went straight to a FT league from PT ones then you'd end up in a situation where some (or even most) wouldn't want to and/or couldn't afford to.

That's going to happen soon anyway probably, pandemic's shown no signs of stopping them spending. Although they're not doing as well as they should be this season really.
It's amazing that Boreham Wood have come out of a pandemic in better financial shape than they went into it with...

Been in favour of that for a while, well for about four years. Just makes sense.
Any particular reason(s)? I'm assuming one is because of travel costs, overnight stays etc but you're obviously extreme north (although travelling is a very small cost to a football club)

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
There’s still loads of money bags clubs about, particularly in the NL south. Mind you, Fylde are one of them as well and actually managed to get relegated last season, so it’s becoming a harder league for them as well.

The one thing that the NL does seem to be able to do is allow the historic/traditional league clubs who’ve become basket cases to get their shit together, bottom out and come back stronger. Would say that applies to Oxford, Luton, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere, Mansfield and Leyton Orient. Notts and Chesterfield are probably going to do similar over the next couple of years.

In fact, are Grimsby the only one of what you’d say are well-supported, historic ex-league clubs to fall out of the league, come back and not really kick on anywhere afterwards?
I guess that depends on whether you class Mansfield as well supported or if you consider them to have kicked on?

It boils down to your ownership, I think. You left Lincoln out of your list of ex-league sides to kick on once getting promoted and they're probably the ones that have undergone the most positive transformation and that's massively due to the progressive nature in which their board/owners have handled things. Contrast that to us, who came back up having learnt nothing seemingly. I'm not really up to speed on what yours and Chesterfield's current owners are like but we've proven that it's possible to come back up with the shitshow that took a team down, so unless you've learnt from your time down there as a club it's far from a given that you'll kick on.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I thought about leaving Mansfield out, to be fair, because I think them and Lincoln are really traditional fourth tier clubs while all of the rest have spent time as high as the top of the third tier or second tier relatively recently. I think Lincoln had basically become a non-league club to be honest in terms of pretty much everything until circumstances all just clicked at the right time.

Our ownership is incomparable to the 20 years of chaos that you’ll remember from us in the league. We’re owned by a pair of Danish brothers who work in football analytics (similar company to the guy who owns Brentford) who are quiet, unassuming and make no wild statements or promises. I mean, we’ve still got the same manager as we had the year we went down, which is miracle stuff for Notts.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
But there are still PT teams in it. They're not all necessarily proper PT i.e. train two evenings a week but classed as PT nonetheless.

The NL being a hybrid league allows PT teams to compete at their highest realistic level and not have to go FT. If it went straight to a FT league from PT ones then you'd end up in a situation where some (or even most) wouldn't want to and/or couldn't afford to.

It's amazing that Boreham Wood have come out of a pandemic in better financial shape than they went into it with...

Any particular reason(s)? I'm assuming one is because of travel costs, overnight stays etc but you're obviously extreme north (although travelling is a very small cost to a football club)
A variety of reasons but if you're at extreme ends of the country you might be more in favour. I think we'd get bigger crowds. We average 3500 down here and that's with some of the smallest away followings, that figure would definitely get boosted. I'd be able to get to more away games, easier to get around etc and overall operating costs would be lower.

I'm not too sure travelling is that small a cost for a NL side. Our recent P-P at Dagenham apparently cost the club 5k in travel and overnight stay. You could argue London doesn't need to be an overnight stay of course but there are about 6 northern/midlands clubs in the NL and it costs money treking around and we do need overnighters sometimes. It's not insignificant for us. We have the most miles to cover out of any team this year so I'm open to regionalisation tbh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!