Which team are going flop big style....

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I mean not the relegation favourites according to the bookies, more the teams who have brought players in, who have talked promotion pushes or team who think they will be fine etc and who's fans are following them to the edge of a nasty cliff?

I thought before the season started Wigan might be making big noises, but they have remained fairly quiet and level headed from what I have heard from the club and from their fans. Maybe Bury, a bit of money has been chucked around and some expectations have been raised. Maybe Rochdale or Fleetwood may come a cropper when their fans are not expecting it, 2nd season syndrome and all that.....

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
In terms of bookies then Chesterfield are the non favourites who I think will flop massively and go down, they had a good manager playing a good style and a good set of players... now they have Dean Saunders and the majority of the good players have left and a shame to see a side that did so well torn to pieces.

In terms of making noises Burton could go either way and not overly amazed with Bradford or Coventry's signings in terms of promotion ability although Anderson is a good move for Bradford (but had a very injury prone career) but both wont be troubled by the drop.

Bury may struggle considering the money they've spent though.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
Not sure you can call Wigan level headed when their chairman and manager have talked about getting over 100 points and being the 'big team' in league one. Wigan have the players to go straight back up, only question mark is over the manager.

As for flops I'm, going with one of Bury or Burton. Bury due to the money being spent and Burton due to JFH's sudden rise in popularity, both could do badly and would be seen as a flop IMO if they did.

Another possible after finishing in the play-offs last season is Chesterfield although I think they have a squad just about good enough to steer Saunders away from another relegation. Same could be argued of Swindon but they always seem to have enough about them so can't see them flopping too bad.

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Not sure you can call Wigan level headed when their chairman and manager have talked about getting over 100 points and being the 'big team' in league one. Wigan have the players to go straight back up, only question mark is over the manager.

As for flops I'm, going with one of Bury or Burton. Bury due to the money being spent and Burton due to JFH's sudden rise in popularity, both could do badly and would be seen as a flop IMO if they did.

Another possible after finishing in the play-offs last season is Chesterfield although I think they have a squad just about good enough to steer Saunders away from another relegation. Same could be argued of Swindon but they always seem to have enough about them so can't see them flopping too bad.

I know Saunders had all that bother at Wolves, and Crawley were already a bit of a mess that he did try to address, but is he really all that bad, he did good things at Donny and he had the right ideas at Wrexham. He just seems to get tarred a bit unfailry for me?

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
I know Saunders had all that bother at Wolves, and Crawley were already a bit of a mess that he did try to address, but is he really all that bad, he did good things at Donny and he had the right ideas at Wrexham. He just seems to get tarred a bit unfailry for me?

At his last 3 clubs he's been relegated, could be wrong place/wrong time. Chesterfield will probably be a fairer assesment of his abilities but could also be argued he's taken on another club with problems, similar to his last 3 clubs.

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
At his last 3 clubs he's been relegated, could be wrong place/wrong time. Chesterfield will probably be a fairer assesment of his abilities but could also be argued he's taken on another club with problems, similar to his last 3 clubs.

Guess his mistake was leaving Donny for Wolves, how many times has a promising manager done something like that!

Jonny12

Andy Butler is a god
Reaction score
Supports
Walsall FC
Twitter
@JonnyOwen12
Think Bury may do an Orient, too many players on high salaries with a pedigree, but may not gel together and thus under perform.

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
In terms of making noises Burton could go either way and not overly amazed with Bradford or Coventry's signings in terms of promotion ability although Anderson is a good move for Bradford (but had a very injury prone career) but both wont be troubled by the drop.

Don't mind criticisms but we finished one spot below the play-offs last year, kept the bulk of the squad and made a few signings which have undeniably improved the squad. It's not like we finished lower mid-table and we're going into it shit or bust with our fingers crossed this season (can't speak for Cov).

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Don't mind criticisms but we finished one spot below the play-offs last year, kept the bulk of the squad and made a few signings which have undeniably improved the squad. It's not like we finished lower mid-table and we're going into it shit or bust with our fingers crossed this season (can't speak for Cov).
I think you'll be in and around the play offs again but still not strong enough to push for the automatics. Marshall from us is a good signing and Hanson will always cause problems at this level. I think that the FA cup run boosted confidence last season as you looked pretty average at the Vale, however without that distraction this season a play off spot is well within grasp.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Coventry seem to think that they will perform much better this season but I can't see it myself - they've not really made loads of signings that will set the world alight and seem to have improved their defence over their attack. Bury have got a couple of Carthorses upfront in Pope and Clarke - we have found out that playing with Pope has its limitations as you tend to end up lumping it up to him in the hope that it will work and invariably it doesn't - they need an alternative in my opinion.

Sheffield United seem to be everybody's favourites but I'd be surprised to see them get automatic promotion. I couldn't understand how they were up there last season as they were dreadful when we played them and their fans seemed to agree. they've brought in Sharp and Sammon who should get them goals but I can't see much other improvements.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
Sheffield United seem to be everybody's favourites but I'd be surprised to see them get automatic promotion. I couldn't understand how they were up there last season as they were dreadful when we played them and their fans seemed to agree. they've brought in Sharp and Sammon who should get them goals but I can't see much other improvements.

We're everyones favourites for automatic yet also everyones favourites to be the team that messes up and looses in the play-offs...logic!?

In answer to the other improvements...Adkins. Would agree we havent strengthened anywhere on the pitch bar attacking-wise though.

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I think you'll be in and around the play offs again but still not strong enough to push for the automatics. Marshall from us is a good signing and Hanson will always cause problems at this level. I think that the FA cup run boosted confidence last season as you looked pretty average at the Vale, however without that distraction this season a play off spot is well within grasp.
We looked average at everyone last year and still finished 7th and had the fourth best away record in the league, such is the way in this division, drought of compliments.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We're everyones favourites for automatic yet also everyones favourites to be the team that messes up and looses in the play-offs...logic!?

In answer to the other improvements...Adkins. Would agree we haven't strengthened anywhere on the pitch bar attacking-wise though.
I'd agree with Adkins as he could actually get extra out of your existing players. I still think you'll be top 6 but would be a surprise for automatics in my opinion having only really strengthened attack.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We looked average at everyone last year and still finished 7th and had the fourth best away record in the league, such is the way in this division, drought of compliments.
I'm just going by what I saw at the Vale and in my opinion you've not really freshened up enough to be major challengers for the automatics but have brought in enough to remain around the play offs.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
I'd agree with Adkins as he could actually get extra out of your existing players. I still think you'll be top 6 but would be a surprise for automatics in my opinion having only really strengthened attack.

We're crying out for atleast one new cb. Otherwise we only have Collins and McEveley (plus Kennedy when fit, which will probably only be for 30% of games) and we could do with a new Right-mid unless we play Che Adams there but personally think he should be upfront...LM, CM, fullbacks and upfront we're very strong though.

My question to you though would be who's better? Coming down I can only see Wigan being better, the other failed play-off teams have weakened as opposed to strengthened on last season and noone else has strengthened enough to overtake us...plus, although we could be a lot stronger we are still stronger than we were at the start and end of last season. From the start of last season we've added Brayford and Done (both injured till December though), Che Adams and Sharp/Sammon.

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I'm just going by what I saw at the Vale and in my opinion you've not really freshened up enough to be major challengers for the automatics but have brought in enough to remain around the play offs.

First pre-season in a long time we didn't need to freshen up really, would be my point. If we hadn't had the extra games from the cup run and the added injuries/fatigue we might have got the play-offs anyway. In fact if we had beat Chesterfield when Gary McKenzie gifted them the only goal then we would have been in the play-offs. This year we've kept our good players (except for Davies at the back) and added strength in depth. It was a shit league last year and I honestly don't think it will be much better, can't see any teams streaking away this year so if you're in the play-offs you might be near the autos too.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We're crying out for atleast one new cb. Otherwise we only have Collins and McEveley (plus Kennedy when fit, which will probably only be for 30% of games) and we could do with a new Right-mid unless we play Che Adams there but personally think he should be upfront...LM, CM, fullbacks and upfront we're very strong though.

My question to you though would be who's better? Coming down I can only see Wigan being better, the other failed play-off teams have weakened as opposed to strengthened on last season and noone else has strengthened enough to overtake us...plus, although we could be a lot stronger we are still stronger than we were at the start and end of last season. From the start of last season we've added Brayford and Done (both injured till December though), Che Adams and Sharp/Sammon.

That's a fair point, but there's always a surprise package or two in this league. I'd also say that because it's more of a level playing field, anyone of about 12 teams will realistically think they can be promoted and will certainly want to do one over on a 'big' team like Sheffield United.

We found out to our detriment that even if you've got a decent attacking side, if your defence is cack then you're not going to be outscoring the opposition every week. Sharp and Sammon should give you a few extra points mind.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
First pre-season in a long time we didn't need to freshen up really, would be my point. If we hadn't had the extra games from the cup run and the added injuries/fatigue we might have got the play-offs anyway. In fact if we had beat Chesterfield when Gary McKenzie gifted them the only goal then we would have been in the play-offs. This year we've kept our good players (except for Davies at the back) and added strength in depth. It was a shit league last year and I honestly don't think it will be much better, can't see any teams streaking away this year so if you're in the play-offs you might be near the autos too.

Just a question....do you think the FA cup run gave the players a belief that they might not necessarily have this season? I'd imagine confidence was at an all time high after Chelsea and the players were on the crest of a wave.
As I've said, there's legitimately 12 or so teams that will think they've got a chance, Bradford included, and with players like Hanson you've always got a cheap goal in you but I just don't see your team having the quality throughout to challenge the automatics.

blade1889

sir
Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Twitter
@blade1889
Well our defence isn't any weaker at least and we've been the 'big team' that teams want to beat for quite a while so that's not a new challenge.

Its definitely going to be a very open league, would agree with that. On paper I think we are worthy of being expected to be in the automatics...what will happen, who knows

Last edited:

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Well our defence isn't any weaker at least and we've been the 'big team' that teams want to beat for quite a while so that's not a new challenge.

Its definitely going to be a very open league, would agree with that. On paper I think we are worthy of being expected to be in the automatics...what will happen, fuck knows
It certainly not a league for betting on! Vale could be anywhere from play-offs through to rock bottom!

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Just a question....do you think the FA cup run gave the players a belief that they might not necessarily have this season? I'd imagine confidence was at an all time high after Chelsea and the players were on the crest of a wave.
As I've said, there's legitimately 12 or so teams that will think they've got a chance, Bradford included, and with players like Hanson you've always got a cheap goal in you but I just don't see your team having the quality throughout to challenge the automatics.
Belief doesn't help you much when you are knackered to be fair.

Maybe we won't even be in the play-offs never mind near the autos but I didn't really understand the Vale fan's logic hence my point. Although given our squad at the moment I would be disappointed if we were stuck languishing in mid table all year.

JoeJoeJoeJoe

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Coventry seem to think that they will perform much better this season but I can't see it myself - they've not really made loads of signings that will set the world alight and seem to have improved their defence over their attack. Bury have got a couple of Carthorses upfront in Pope and Clarke - we have found out that playing with Pope has its limitations as you tend to end up lumping it up to him in the hope that it will work and invariably it doesn't - they need an alternative in my opinion.

We're expecting to sign four more forward players according to Mowbray. Two strikers and two wingers.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Belief doesn't help you much when you are knackered to be fair.

Maybe we won't even be in the play-offs never mind near the autos but I didn't really understand the Vale fan's logic hence my point. Although given our squad at the moment I would be disappointed if we were stuck languishing in mid table all year.

I'd be surprised if you languished in mid table to be honest - it would be a disappointing season for you.

My point is that every team regardless of what happened last season requires a certain amount of progression otherwise you stand still whilst everyone else improves. You just missed out on the play offs last year and have slightly improved your options therefore a prediction that you will be in and around the play offs seems a fair assumption does it not?

To me your team seems workmanlike and effective rather than having outstanding individuals and therefore I don't see you troubling the top 2.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We're expecting to sign four more forward players according to Mowbray. Two strikers and two wingers.

Fair enough - it remains to be seen what quality is left out there to sign at this stage of preseason but it may improve your chances.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Under Saunders I had the misfortune to witness some of the worst football I've ever seen oh and if he hadn't gone I highly doubt we would have won promotion.

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
SURELY if Sheffield United are ever to get back out of league it has to be this time with Adkins? How long can they stay at this level and consistently get a good budget/squad but fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!