Who will do best in Division 1?

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
i think all would be fine, fgr have the managerial question mark and bristol rovers probably have the most resources, but then Exeter vale/mansfield are all solid off the pitch and would expect to strengthen.

i have said it before and i know about 5-6 teams would probably say similar but; but for injuries we'd have won the league this season. it's truly staggering we are in a playoff final having had most of our key players missing significant portions of the season at some stage. we're likely to keep the majority of our squad together and so i think we're handily placed for whatever league we're in next season.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
If we go up (and that’s a big if still as we have a huge game against a very good Mansfield side), then I think we’d be ok.

Off the field we are light years ahead of what we were last time in league one with a decent owner, decent budget and improved infrastructure. No warming up old pies from the weekend for our squad these days!

We seem to have a plan in place of how we want to move forward under Carol and that’s something we could only have dreamed of previously so no bizarre team rebuild with kids from Monaco and Benfica this time!

The current squad has experience and a few players who are capable of doing a job in league one, James Wilson and Jamie Proctor isn’t a bad league one strike force if we can keep them fit. Connor Hall would be fine, James Gibbons and Tom Pett would be ok and Tom Conlon would you’d anticipate be solid.

The likes of Ben Garrity would be the ones you’d wonder about, he’s been outstanding this season but untested and not a great ball player, I guess players like him would be decent in games we have to rat in though.

We’d need some improvements but don’t think the current squad would have been relegated this season and a solid mid table would be the initial aim. Some big clubs there these days.

We would probably want a bit better luck with injuries though than this season to avoid potentially getting into a rut.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I’ve always felt it’s not the first season that you’re likely to struggle as will ride the momentum but the second one once the novelty wears off. For us and Mansfield maybe a slight handicap in that other teams have already started on retained lists etc but nothing can’t overcome.

In our case if we are fortunate enough to get promotion on Saturday it will be a season of looking to consolidate and will be perfectly content with that. This will sound a bit more disrespectful than I intend it but if Morecambe, Cheltenham and Cambridge can all do it then there’s no reason we couldn’t with some good recruitment.

Nah, that's not disrespectful. We were looking at other similar sized clubs to ours last summer and saying the exact same thing. The only real surprise to me was not us and Cheltenham staying up but Morecambe as I felt the way they like to play their footy was not suited to L1 but I was wrong.

I honestly think all 4 clubs promoted this year will be ok next season though it's almost guaranteed that one side will find it tougher than the others.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
I'll be extremely happy for Rovers to be just above the bottom four. Hopefully better but as long as we stay up and get stronger -- Job done. There is quite a lot of difference in skill between the two divisions and I know it won't be easy.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Last time we were in league one it was shite (which doesn't say much for the standard of our team at the time). It's improved immeasurably since then and now hosts a number of former Premier league teams. It's basically a graveyard for club mismanagement.

Our ultimate aim has to be the Championship. That was the owners aim and they said they could finance up to that level and then bring in further investment at that point. If we were to be promoted I reckon you'd need to survive for 2 or 3 seasons in order to keep your best players and build a squad for the right end of the table.

We'd need a few additions just to tread water I think, as effort and endeavour isn't going to blunder you through games in league one.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Some time ago now but we went up to L1 and finished in the play offs two consecutive seasons. Not sure that can be done now with the size of clubs and budgets. At the time we had a competitive budget but we definitely outdid ourselves. Once the money dried up we ended up lower mid table/fighting relegation for a good few years which was more reflective of our size and reduced financial muscle.

Biggest difference was that teams played better football and had some quality players. They didn't always pull it off but there was much more attempt at playing the right way. That said we've beaten a lot of L1 teams in cups this season and apart from Rotherham and Wycombe at times, the quality difference wasn't too apparent. I'd say as a general rule if you come up as a footballing side you'll probably fare better so the likes of Exeter should be fine (but based on what i saw need much more up top), FGR I think might struggle without Edwards and losing a couple of key players. Rovers will be okay, in fact I think all 4 should stay up but of them all I think FGR might struggle the most.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
League one is a different kettle of fish to how it used to be, not even Bradford would be considered big any more (sorry Firthy). You’ve got about a top 12 of really big clubs like Wednesday and Sunderland etc, then you’ve got those yo-yo teams between league one and the Championship. Don’t underestimate the money the yo-yo clubs have either.

The difference is huge. Look at the points tally for the teams trying to escape relegation, and those at the top.

Plymouth on 80 points didn’t even make the playoffs, Fleetwood on 40 points stayed up.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
One does not form an opinion on the quality of any league whether it's the Championship or the dog and duck sunday league on those handful of games that make up the play offs.
I didn't. I thought you'd give me the respect to actually read my post properly, but I understand that's expecting too much from this forum.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Agree I've never been to Hillsborough but I've been to most other clubs so know full well that in most stadiums opposition fans get put in a corner.
No they don't, it's pretty rare. Like one in 10 stadiums you get put in a corner / on the side.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
League one is a different kettle of fish to how it used to be, not even Bradford would be considered big any more (sorry Firthy). You’ve got about a top 12 of really big clubs like Wednesday and Sunderland etc, then you’ve got those yo-yo teams between league one and the Championship. Don’t underestimate the money the yo-yo clubs have either.

The difference is huge. Look at the points tally for the teams trying to escape relegation, and those at the top.

Plymouth on 80 points didn’t even make the playoffs, Fleetwood on 40 points stayed up.
We’ve been in league one with the likes of Nottingham Forest, Sheffield United, Wolves etc. there have always been big clubs dropping down and being in the same league is a great leveller as we know from being the underdogs against the likes of Sutton this season. I’d have no worries about ending top half(without trying to sound like Devon Lad) like we did last time every season except the one we were relegated with the 4th highest budget in the league.

If you’re a well run club that recruits properly you’ll do fine, as Wycombe have proven. I expect all that go up to do well, except maybe Forest Green due to what’s going on there.

It took Leeds years to get out of that league and it was supposedly weaker with smaller clubs.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
I didn't realise that all four newly promoted sides stayed up last season in L1. That's a serious achievement. Be interesting to see if one of them suffers bad second season syndrome like Crewe did. They all have good managers though, which makes it less likely unless any of them leaves.

A couple of clubs who had flirted with relegation for a while finally dropped last season such as Wimbledon and Gillingham and I wouldn't be surprised if Shrewsbury's luck runs out next season.
Next season will be our 8th successive season in League 1 which will make us one of the longest serving. Admittedly minus the 17/18 season where we finished 3rd and lost at Wembley at the death in extra time to Rotherham, we've been languishing in the bottom half.

However, our chairman Roland Wycherley who's been with us since 1996 (26 years now), has always had two dreams since taking over, first was to get us a new stadium (left Gay Meadow in 2007) and second dream was to leave us as a Championship club.

Now Wycherley isn't getting any younger, and it seems the older he gets the more money he throws on transfer fees. He's determined to have a good go next season and will be backing Cotterill fairly well with money this summer. We've already bought Jordan Shipley from Coventry on a 3 year deal which won't have been cheap. We also spent big on signing Sunderland's captain Tom Flannagan in January and the more I watch him the more he looks a Championship defender. Also spent big to keep Josh Vela at the club on a new deal after it looked like he was Blackpool bound so that won't have been cheap.

If we can keep hold of Marosi, Pennington, Leahy and the main one is Udoh, then we really should be pushing the play offs just like we did in 17/18 with a few loan signings to bulk us up. Be a great help if we can find another Dean Henderson, Ben Godfrey, Carlton Morris, etc mind

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Due to our viewed under-par season (compared to last, not the year before though!), one of our bloggers looked at how promoted L2 teams have done in the last decade when getting promoted. Basically, they're usually relegated again on average by the end of the third season.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Agree I've never been to Hillsborough but I've been to most other clubs so know full well that in most stadiums opposition fans get put in a corner.
In this league
Behind the net :
Barnsley
Burton
Cambridge
Charlton
Morecambe
Fleetwood
Cheltenham
Plymouth
Posh
Accrington
Wednesday
Pompey
Lincoln
Exeter
Wycombe
Bolton
MK
Mansfield/Vale

Side
FGR
Ipswich

Corner
Derby

Good knowledge

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
In this league
Behind the net :
Barnsley
Burton
Cambridge
Charlton
Morecambe
Fleetwood
Cheltenham
Plymouth
Posh
Accrington
Wednesday
Pompey
Lincoln
Exeter
Wycombe
Bolton
MK
Mansfield/Vale

Side
FGR
Ipswich

Corner
Derby

Good knowledge
His knowledge probably stems from village clubs around the Cotswold area, their natural level.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
In this league
Behind the net :
Barnsley
Burton
Cambridge
Charlton
Morecambe
Fleetwood
Cheltenham
Plymouth
Posh
Accrington
Wednesday
Pompey
Lincoln
Exeter
Wycombe
Bolton
MK
Mansfield/Vale

Side
FGR
Ipswich

Corner
Derby

Good knowledge
Thanks for that information for away fans, but remember it will 1st season that FGR have played League 1 football, hence your knowledge is far greater than mine.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Four of the clubs who are on the behind goal list also offer seats along the side

Exeter
Morecambe
Burton
Accrington

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
The last time we were in league 1 the first cameraphone was released and itunes made its debut.

All i remember is we conceded goals. lots and lots of them.

to compare ourselves back then is madness, we went up in spite of our crook of an owner and was rotten to the core.

Armed with 1 of the best chairman and managers in lower leagues were a completely different kettle of fish to then.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
The four teams that come up will be in a mini league with another seven eight teams forget play-offs for any of them its not happening. This mini league consists of some decent teams at this level. Accrington are a well drilled team of Giants and have a great home record and a decent manager. Lincoln will get some decent loan players as usual and will finish well out of the relegation mix. Cheltenham will be ok. Cambridge are the one team who i fear for after losing Hoolihan and Iredale but have a cracking manager in Bonner who may pick one or two gems in the close season. Morecambe and Fleetwood are decent on there day and will be teams the promoted teams will have to finish above. Shrewsbury and Burton likewise.............FGR will not survive as they have lost there manager and a couple of there better players. Bristol Rovers i know little about but are they better than two seasons back when they went down .Exeter may be the ones who will do well but doing well means 12th at best.
Port Vale have the resources but again will struggle......Sorry but Mansfield will find it tough

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
How anyone can come to a conclusion about any club ,before a season is over is beyond me ,nobody knows what is going to happen to a squad before august

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
In this league
Behind the net :
Barnsley
Burton
Cambridge
Charlton
Morecambe
Fleetwood
Cheltenham
Plymouth
Posh
Accrington
Wednesday
Pompey
Lincoln
Exeter
Wycombe
Bolton
MK
Mansfield/Vale

Side
FGR
Ipswich

Corner
Derby

Good knowledge
Obviously I explained my point badly but I stand firm in what I said.

TNL offers away fans the entire run of the West Stand, unusual but not unique. What I think is unique for the Football League is that it is a complete standing area where the away fans can and do move depending which end their team are playing towards.

Other clubs section off part of their grounds for away fans [which I said was a corner]. The usual position is from goal line to near half way.

Also the clubs in League 1 have bigger stadiums than at FGR. The West Stand is almost certainly the narrowest of them all. Whenever a well supported away team have a game at TNL and sell out The West Stand, they can become very intimidating. The fans probably stand nearer to pitch that elsewhere. I’ve seen them influence weak referees.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Due to our viewed under-par season (compared to last, not the year before though!), one of our bloggers looked at how promoted L2 teams have done in the last decade when getting promoted. Basically, they're usually relegated again on average by the end of the third season.

That's an interesting read. I wonder what the data tells us about the fate of teams promoted to PL/Championship/L2? My guess is the quality/money/resource gap between adjacent leagues grows as you go up the pyramid, but that is only a guess. Plus each league has a different number of promotion and relegation spots. Why is it four up/down between L1 and L2?

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
That's an interesting read. I wonder what the data tells us about the fate of teams promoted to PL/Championship/L2? My guess is the quality/money/resource gap between adjacent leagues grows as you go up the pyramid, but that is only a guess. Plus each league has a different number of promotion and relegation spots. Why is it four up/down between L1 and L2?

I think the four up/down is a relic of when it used to be a regionalised third tier and then when merged to a third and fourth tier they brought that in.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I think the four up/down is a relic of when it used to be a regionalised third tier and then when merged to a third and fourth tier they brought that in.
Should make it 3 up and 3 down, and same with L2 to Conference imho.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Oi it’s alright up where you are but behave talking about bringing in another relegation spot here! I don’t want to have to watch Dover or whoever in front of 500 fans!

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
The four teams that come up will be in a mini league with another seven eight teams forget play-offs for any of them its not happening. This mini league consists of some decent teams at this level. Accrington are a well drilled team of Giants and have a great home record and a decent manager. Lincoln will get some decent loan players as usual and will finish well out of the relegation mix. Cheltenham will be ok. Cambridge are the one team who i fear for after losing Hoolihan and Iredale but have a cracking manager in Bonner who may pick one or two gems in the close season. Morecambe and Fleetwood are decent on there day and will be teams the promoted teams will have to finish above. Shrewsbury and Burton likewise.............FGR will not survive as they have lost there manager and a couple of there better players. Bristol Rovers i know little about but are they better than two seasons back when they went down .Exeter may be the ones who will do well but doing well means 12th at best.
Port Vale have the resources but again will struggle......Sorry but Mansfield will find it tough
We'll forget play offs as we clinch the 2nd autos place.

Our resources come from our academy and the ability we have there alone is far better than what you have in your starting 11! There's zero chance we are finishing outside of the play offs. We have numerous players championship clubs are after, we have extremely good players that are capable of league 1 football and we have starlets in our academy that will be pushing their way into the first team that top 6 prem clubs are trying to steal from us.

As numerous clubs have proved - Brentford being one, Bournemouth another - It's not just about how 'big' a club is if they're going to do well. Yeovil & Burton have both been promoted from that league in recent years. Wycombe consistently doing well including a recent promotion AND a play off final this season. I can see Bolton finishing around 17th next season, with Port Vale / Mansfield being top half, us comfortably in the play offs if not the last auto place, Rovers will be there or thereabouts the play offs, and FGR probably relegated.

Last edited:

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We'll forget play offs as we clinched the 2nd autos place.

Our resources come from our academy and the ability we have there alone is far better than what you have in your starting 11! There's zero chance we are finishing outside of the play offs. We have numerous players championship clubs are after, we have extremely good players that are capable of league 1 football and we have starlets in our academy that will be pushing their way into the first team that top 6 clubs are trying to steal from us.

As numerous clubs have proved - Brentford being one, Bournemouth another - It's not just about how 'big' a club is if they're going to do well. Yeovil & Burton have both been promoted from that league in recent years. Wycombe consistently doing well including a recent promotion AND a play off final this season. I can see Bolton finishing around 17th next season, with Port Vale / Mansfield being top half, us comfortably in the play offs if not the last auto place, Rovers will be there or thereabouts the play offs, and FGR probably relegated.
I agree with your point, but not using Brentford or Bournemouth as examples.

Brentford have had over £100m pumped into them by their owner and Bournemouth are part (majority?) owned by a wealthy Russian who's put in, so far, £165m.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

I think it’s a discussion to be had. For me though between L2 and the conference they need to work to one set of rules though so they would need to work to SCMP, squad limits and not the ridiculous situation at present where the transfer window doesn’t apply to them.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I think it’s a discussion to be had. For me though between L2 and the conference they need to work to one set of rules though so they would need to work to SCMP, squad limits and not the ridiculous situation at present where the transfer window doesn’t apply to them.

Yeah they need to get themselves in line then maybe it can be discussed. Doubt they will want to.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
I agree with your point, but not using Brentford or Bournemouth as examples.

Brentford have had over £100m pumped into them by their owner and Bournemouth are part (majority?) owned by a wealthy Russian who's put in, so far, £165m.
Brentford are surely net-gains? They buy players from the lower leagues like Watkins & Toney and sell them for profit. From memory when Bournemouth were in L2 they certainly didn't get their quick successive promotions by simply chucking more money at it than everyone else, not more than some other clubs did, anyway.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
We'll forget play offs as we clinch the 2nd autos place.

Our resources come from our academy and the ability we have there alone is far better than what you have in your starting 11! There's zero chance we are finishing outside of the play offs. We have numerous players championship clubs are after, we have extremely good players that are capable of league 1 football and we have starlets in our academy that will be pushing their way into the first team that top 6 prem clubs are trying to steal from us.

You won’t come anywhere near second place. And you know it.
None of the promoted teams will. Expect Wednesday, Ipswich, Oxford, Pompey, derby and Wycombe to be the teams up there again plus perhaps posh, Barnsley and Bolton too.
It’s a very competitive league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!