Wrexham to get 99 year lease on their ground

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
But that is due to the two huge iron girders used to prop up the roof that obstruct your view. Certain seats are less affected than others but almost every seat is affected.

Home fans in the Yale stand used by away fans pay the same as the away fans.
Welcome to the Forum.

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
Just in time for us to make some improvements to the place :animatedf:

SomeMightShay

Reaction score
Supports
FC Halifax Town
Twitter
@SomeMightShay
But that is due to the two huge iron girders used to prop up the roof that obstruct your view. Certain seats are less affected than others but almost every seat is affected.

Home fans in the Yale stand used by away fans pay the same as the away fans.
Oh don't give me that bollocks, there are several hundred seats in that stand that are not obstructed in any way. Apart from all bar two league games, that stand is probably less than half full. I sat in our Skircoat stand for years with columns in the way for a few seconds each game and never did i consider that i should be charged less.
Away fans are tucked right at the end of the Yale stand so have an almost identical view to those behind the goal. Home fans in the Yale stand can sit with a halfway line view of the pitch and even move further down to watch their team attack the Kop. Simply put away fans enter through their own turnstile and could very easily be charged £15. Any home fans that take umbrage could easily change their mind and sit behind the goal.
End of the day it is my view and my opinion and as long as it stays that way i won't attend. Many many more away fans will wont give two hoots and will continue to attend. Wrexham FC will not go out of business without my money. Should Wrexham finally have that "our year" they've been banging on for last few seasons, their policy would likley have to be reversed as i am told football league rules don't allow clubs to charge more to away fans to sit/stand.
If the Wrexham board suddenly decided to put the away fans behind the goals, charge them £15 and give home fans the other two sections with a minimum spend of £18 do you think the home supporters would be happy with this?

Heedtastic

Reaction score
Supports
Gateshead FC
There is a Conference rule (well there was a couple of seasons back) that says away fans can't be charged more than the cheapest equivalent home fan ticket price.

But in typical Conference style lots of clubs ignore this and get away with it. I remember Mansfield charging away fans more for the away end than the home fans paid in the home end, even though they were near identical stands.

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
There is a Conference rule (well there was a couple of seasons back) that says away fans can't be charged more than the cheapest equivalent home fan ticket price.

But in typical Conference style lots of clubs ignore this and get away with it. I remember Mansfield charging away fans more for the away end than the home fans paid in the home end, even though they were near identical stands.

I can never quite understand that rule. We are one of the clubs that seem to ignore it but it makes no sense to me why someone should pay less to sit in the same stand as someone purely because they are an away supporter.

SomeMightShay

Reaction score
Supports
FC Halifax Town
Twitter
@SomeMightShay
I can never quite understand that rule. We are one of the clubs that seem to ignore it but it makes no sense to me why someone should pay less to sit in the same stand as someone purely because they are an away supporter.
Not less, the same. Simple really.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

I'm not sure that's quite correct?

I always thought, and it was the same in the FL IIRC, that they couldn't be charged more than an equivalent seat as home fans, not the cheapest equivalent.

Unless the way you've worded it has confused me and you actually mean the above!

CPD_Wrecsam

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham AFC
Which is what is it, it's the same for both home & away fans in the Yale Stand (£19 or £17adv).

If behind the goal was the same as the side stands no one would go in there - it's a dump - broken seats, holes in the roof, facilities poor etc. It isn't just the pillars, but the roof and scoreboard are a major hindrance.

I went in the Yale Stand where away fans normally are for the Tranmere game and it's a million times better.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Did Wrexham's away end (well, when it was behind the goal) have wooden seats or have I dreamt that?

Last time I went to Wrexham, I think we lost 1-0 and had someone sent off quite late-on for a second yellow (Gary Croft I think).

Southern Shayman

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax Town
Whilst I appreciate a lot of Wrexham fans saying that the SC wouldn't touch it if the numbers didn't stack up. Surely the opposite is also true? Why would the University want rid if it was profitable to run it?

I'd have a little caution thrown in with my optimism if I was a Wrexham fan.

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester

At Wrexham maybe (don't know their prices so have no clue if thats the case). If we were to charge away fans the same as the cheapest home tickets they would be paying less than home supporters in the same stand.

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
I'm not sure that's quite correct?

I always thought, and it was the same in the FL IIRC, that they couldn't be charged more than an equivalent seat as home fans, not the cheapest equivalent.

Unless the way you've worded it has confused me and you actually mean the above!

Cheltenham fans kicked up a fuss when they came to ours and I'm fairly sure what Heedtastic posted is correct.

SomeMightShay

Reaction score
Supports
FC Halifax Town
Twitter
@SomeMightShay
At Wrexham maybe (don't know their prices so have no clue if thats the case). If we were to charge away fans the same as the cheapest home tickets they would be paying less than home supporters in the same stand.
If home fans can sit for £X then away fans should be offered seated tickets at the same price. Likewise away fans should have to pay no more to stand than home supporters, regardless of where abouts in the ground those supporters are placed. This should be the same for ALL clubs at ALL levels and not just Wrexham. I honestly can not fathom why any supporter would not agree with that, unless they never go to an away game in their life.

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
If home fans can sit for £X then away fans should be offered seated tickets at the same price. Likewise away fans should have to pay no more to stand than home supporters, regardless of where abouts in the ground those supporters are placed. This should be the same for ALL clubs at ALL levels and not just Wrexham. I honestly can not fathom why any supporter would not agree with that, unless they never go to an away game in their life.

Agree with that. Our cheapest tickets don't get a seat though, away fans pay the same as everyone else who sits down and so they should.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
We were told that the above rule was true - that there had to be tickets for away fans at the same price as the cheapest home fans tickets. But we were told that by a lying scumbag of chairman at the time, so it could be false. This was used to increase the prices in the terrace at Nene Park which was home fans only, though it was effectively reduced again through a membership scheme for ticket prices.

Apparently this rule had been in place for years but we were pulled up for it one year after another club complained. There was an implication it was Grays Athletic as there was some stuff that had gone on at their place which included price gouging for away fans in the bar and something odd over terms of an abandoned game (I can't remember off the top of my head and it's not overly relevant right now).

Apparently it's also a rule in the conference that you can't differentiate the price for home and away fans for the same facilities. This is apparently a separate rule. I think that this is actually an FA rule.

You are then allowed around the rules above once or twice a season (I can't remember) with special offer games which are allowed to apply to home fans only.

On the main topic - it's great for Wrexham to have control over their own ground, but what makes people believe it will all of a sudden be profitable when it's being moved on because the current landlords can't make it work for them? It's not like any costs disappear or incomes increase (rent vs the costs rent went on will cancel).

SGW

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
On the main topic - it's great for Wrexham to have control over their own ground, but what makes people believe it will all of a sudden be profitable when it's being moved on because the current landlords can't make it work for them? It's not like any costs disappear or incomes increase (rent vs the costs rent went on will cancel).

Indeed, spot on.

Wxm fans believe that Glyndwr (the "university") have run the ground inefficiently and have lost interest in it, so there is certainly room for some cost saving and for getting freebies done from fans. There is also some room for income improvement by taking a more pro-active approach and by the fact the club will be benefiting from the advertising / concourse income which it doesn't at the moment. These are only likely to be impacts on the margin, however, plus it looks very likely that our current co-tenants, Crusaders (RL), are about to go pop so that will be a source of income down the drain (although apparently not very much anyway).

This move's very much a two-edged sword IMO but also one the club had to make as who knows where higher education spend is going to be in the future and what pressure Glyndwr would be under to sell from under our feet?

As for the other subject, I really can't see why the Halifax fan is getting so hot under the collar. I also agree 100% with the Chester fan (well, I am English) and I too really can't see the logic of this apparent rule that away fans should get cheaper prices for the same stand as home fans. Obviously away fans shouldn't be ripped off but that's the not the same thing as saying they should be subsidised (which seems to be the nub of the Halifax fan's complaint).

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
*Insert Yorkshire man and money joke here*

It's a problem really. I see the gripe but equally if we start charging Away fans 15 quid to sit in a stand the home supporters are paying 17 quid to sit in then how is that right? It's a quandary. If its a rule then of course we should abide by it.

I don't have a season ticket this year so I've been paying 19 pounds to go in the posh stand:£

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
I quite agree that away fans shouldn't be subsidised, but I think you should get rid of this stuff about tickets that are cheaper in advance. Partially because this severely disadvantages away fans from taking part as they can't physically get to the ground to buy the tickets in advance for obvious reasons. Then they are charged £1.50 card processing fees meaning they only really save 50p by buying in advance. Plus when they arrive at the ground they then have to go and collect them from the ticket office because if you get them delivered they will actually end up costing more than paying on the gate.

At the end of the day how much do a club like Wrexham need advance sales to inform decisions and how much of it is about squeezing out extra money on the match day from those who didn't buy in advance, which largely becomes away fans for this reason.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I think ultimately the university had a master plan of getting some education Type funding to develop the ground but then essentially got told it was never going to happen

With the addition of being told they needed to spend a lot of money just to get it up to standard they probably thought it was best to cut ties

I agree that they are probably hoping that a lot of community spirit reduces a lot of expenditure on maintenance etc, but I don't think many sparkles would work for pittance for example, even if they are avid fans

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Meeting took place this evening to vote on this, and the decision was a unanimous yes!

CPD_Wrecsam

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham AFC
Excellent news.

If the board & fans can turn a club with debts of £800k into one that makes profit in just a few years, there's no reason not to make this work either. The stadium and facilities were criminally underused by the Uni. I think they're looking at around 3 years to make the ground profitable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's sooner.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
I'm confident they will do it and watching the presentation shows how lucky we are to have some very astute people on the board. Spencer is a big asset to us, I could see him becoming the Chief Executive in the coming years if and when Don Bircham moves on.

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I recall a load of Alex fans turning up at the away turnstyles and 'negotiating' what they were willing to pay to go in,many years back at Wrexham.
Atleast that's what I heard.I can quite believe it though-this was at a time when attendances were at post-war lows and football fans were generally 'naughtier' so not only would the club have got 'some' money as opposed to none,but it would make the Heddlu's job easier,rather than having a mob of football fans roaming the streets.
P.s. I wonder if,within this 99 year lease,The Racecourse will ever host League football again.

Heedtastic

Reaction score
Supports
Gateshead FC
21. ADMISSION CHARGES
The minimum charge for admission to all matches shall be determined from time to time by the Board. Admission charges, excluding home Club concessions as appropriate, must be the same for home and visiting supporters at Competition matches.
Clubs may, with the written permission of the Board, have a maximum of three Competition Match Days each Playing Season during which they can vary admission charges for adults including allowing free admission.
http://www.footballconference.co.uk/uploads/docs/Rules.pdf

The above in the current publication of the rules is a bit too vague and gives wiggle room. I'm sure I read the rules on it a few years back after being charged extra a few times, and they said then that away fans couldn't be charged more, but maybe I misinterpreted them and saw it the way I wanted to see it.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I recall a load of Alex fans turning up at the away turnstyles and 'negotiating' what they were willing to pay to go in,many years back at Wrexham.
Atleast that's what I heard.I can quite believe it though-this was at a time when attendances were at post-war lows and football fans were generally 'naughtier' so not only would the club have got 'some' money as opposed to none,but it would make the Heddlu's job easier,rather than having a mob of football fans roaming the streets.
P.s. I wonder if,within this 99 year lease,The Racecourse will ever host League football again.

Call me Mr Cocky from Cocky Street in Cockytown but I reckon we will see league football at The Racecourse again in the next 99 years.

What's gone wrong at Crewe? You seem to be in free fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see you battling relegation in league 2 again next season and maybe doing a Tranmere and going straight through. Has the Bosman era had an impact on selling on young players and therefore your budget?

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Call me Mr Cocky from Cocky Street in Cockytown but I reckon we will see league football at The Racecourse again in the next 99 years.

What's gone wrong at Crewe? You seem to be in free fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see you battling relegation in league 2 again next season and maybe doing a Tranmere and going straight through. Has the Bosman era had an impact on selling on young players and therefore your budget?

It's because they didn't keep hold of Pogba

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra

Not easy to say really.It's all about margins.
Our current team is poor for Div3 hence we're bottom but the academy is still strong and still produces but presently we've little money in the kitty so our budget is very low.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Not easy to say really.It's all about margins.
Our current team is poor for Div3 hence we're bottom but the academy is still strong and still produces but presently we've little money in the kitty so our budget is very low.

I just wonder whether, sadly, the model of lower league clubs producing players specifically to sell on works in modern football. I presume an academy like Crewe's costs £1m+ a year to run and so you need to sell players to that value each year to make it viable. Premier League clubs mostly buy foreign players these days. It could therefore turn out to be a drain on what is really important - the first team.

Our youth setup costs a fair bit - albeit much less than Crewe's - and I wonder whether even that makes sense at our level.

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
I know I'm late on this but the rules in the FL and Conf are different. The Conf say that if the Home fans are offered terrace tickets and a club do not offer terrace to away fans then the away fans should be charged the same price as a terrace ticket for a seat. It's to prevent clubs closing their away terrace to charge more.
The FL rule is away fans should not be charged more for the same facilities. It means some clubs close the terrace when a small away following is expected so they can charge more.

FL Academies don't need to break even solely through player sales as a large chunk of the cost is covered by FL funding. A Cat 2 academy will cost £1m but you receive funding of £500k. For us we have sold a couple of players and had several players in the first team which saves on playing budget.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I realise that FL academies get central funding but I'm sure I have read that Crewe's costs them £1m a season even after funding.

To make that work they really need to sell a player for big money every one or two seasons and that seems to be happening less and less. They also need to have a first team full of players from the youth system who are good enough, and judging from their league position they don't currently.

Our academy has produced Danny Ward, who is now on the bench for Liverpool week in and week out, having made his Wales debut in a friendly recently. If and when he makes his competitive debut for Liverpool and Wales we will apparently be in line for quite a lot of money. However it is frustrating that whenever a half decent player comes along they are sold, and you do have to question what the point of producing players for other teams to snap up really is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!