10th of October games

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Our commentators found it hilarious that Yems and Bradbury got booked whilst Duff was clearly the more vocal of the two dugouts.

To be fair to Kettle, he did give Yems a final warning with about 10 mins to go, so maybe Yems really did want his red.

He's a funny one is Kettle - I've never seen him do anything ludicrous in Cheltenham games, but he does baffling little things. Earlier for example, he played a fantastic advantage when a Crawley player was pulling on our player's shirts to attempt to halt the counter. The attack petered out and everyone watching assumed the Crawley player would be booked. No booking came. A Cheltenham player questions this and ends up getting booked instead.

Hessenthaler should have got a yellow for sure but thats what I mean about Kettle. Great advantage go back and book the player and everyone says well done ref. Why book a Cheltenham player.

There were a few other odd calls in the game too. One or two that annoyed Cheltenham, one or two that annoyed us but this time no weird penalty calls and no effect on the overall result.

Yems is going to be in trouble here. In the post match interview he basically called Kettle incompetent. I can see an FA book flying towards him already.

Casey

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
GC post-match interview today might give him less room to bargain with the Radfords.

We definitely have a bit of a rift between the manager and those above him due to selling Rose.

oh yeah massively so.

we’ve sold or got rid of our best players of the summer window, and have replaced them with frauds (to date) rawson, meyenese or whatever it is, perch, bowery have offered the sum of fuck all between them, all came to the club under coughlan and all look hopeless.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Well Evatt honeymoon period is well and truly over that was woeful...Crawford plays shite Bolton play shite.
Santos is growing week by week, Tutte is excellent and Mascoll played three decent games running.
Hickman is knackered after 60 mins, but offers us something going forward. Bizarre substitutions today.
Baptiste replaced Hick man, Comley, Tutte and Gordon Mascoll.......Fuck right off
The pace of the game is like a training game.
One or two said Evatt would be gone before christmas...I called Bollox
Top and bottom of it his signings are simply not good enough.
I think the fact neither team had a single shot on target all game tells the tale. I also thought you lot were 'hanging on' at the end and our young loanee Edwards was frightening your lads to death. Santos was your MOM, he didn't have to do a great deal, but he won everything in the air and his long legs also stopped anything on the ground. Otherwise it was two poor teams cancelling each other out. Long season for both of us?

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
No idea why Joyce was out, both times we’ve lost at home since April 2019 were with him missing, as he keeps us ticking over.

Didn’t realise you had Callum Guy to be honest, good player we had in League One on loan. He had the freedom of Vale Park today!

We usually play Joyce, Conlon and Oyeleke ideally and none started today, despite two of them being available! They’ve got carried away by Wigan but I’d argue defensively Carlisle are far better than Wigan at present!

We started the game really well, had one off the line, the header and a few decent half chances but seemed to just fade as it went on really.

Credit to Carlisle though, defended well and had a go at us which is more than some sides have done and got the reward.

We signed Guy in January, but he got a bad injury in his second or third game and missed what was the rest of the season. Started this season off pretty poor to be honest like most of our players, but last 2 games he’s played really well. Still quite young though (Must have been young at vale if he played in L1!) as are the rest of our midfielders apart from Furman, that’s why I thought someone like Joyce would school them if he’d played.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Maybe we should just relegate Carlisle and Bolton, problems solved.
Why would you want to Relegate a town that won the fa cup 4 times ..Won numerous Olympic Medals
Fought Battles in Many wars,Have world cup winners that played and born in the Town. Award winning Actors,singers,comedians... A town and team known the world over.............And all you have got is a fucking wooden pier.......fuck off !!!

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I think the fact neither team had a single shot on target all game tells the tale. I also thought you lot were 'hanging on' at the end and our young loanee Edwards was frightening your lads to death. Santos was your MOM, he didn't have to do a great deal, but he won everything in the air and his long legs also stopped anything on the ground. Otherwise it was two poor teams cancelling each other out. Long season for both of us?
shocking game....Like you i thought Santos was immense, he was opposite
Why would you want to Relegate a town that won the fa cup 4 times ..Won numerous Olympic Medals
Fought Battles in Many wars,Have world cup winners that played and born in the Town. Award winning Actors,singers,comedians... A town and team known the world over.............And all you have got is a fucking wooden pier.......fuck off !!!
On that showing and basically what i have seen so far we will finish mid table tops. I dont know what Darcy needs to do to get a game. Losing Politic pre season was a big loss we look ok tip,tapping the ball about but we have nothing creative. Sarcevic, Comley and Crawford have simply not been good enough.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We signed Guy in January, but he got a bad injury in his second or third game and missed what was the rest of the season. Started this season off pretty poor to be honest like most of our players, but last 2 games he’s played really well. Still quite young though (Must have been young at vale if he played in L1!) as are the rest of our midfielders apart from Furman, that’s why I thought someone like Joyce would school them if he’d played.

He was with us end of 2016/17 on loan from Derby I think. Played really well in a side going down. Disappointed we never went back in for him.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
He was with us end of 2016/17 on loan from Derby I think. Played really well in a side going down. Disappointed we never went back in for him.

Went to Bradford didn’t he from memory? Seemed to be the case with anyone who did well on loan with us like Guy, Knott and Jones. Guy was very good though yesterday, pretty much dominated the midfield.

You could see how much we missed Joyce, not least how he would always offer an option for our centre backs to play it short as well as his positioning almost always being spot on. Seemed far too large a space between the defence and midfield yesterday. Would rather we go back to what we are good at and just put the onus on the players to do a better job.

Huntsman94

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Cheltenham and Salford next. Don't see us getting anything there

Wouldn’t fear Salford at all they’re nothing special. We had 10 players missing and could easily have won the game.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Went to Bradford didn’t he from memory? Seemed to be the case with anyone who did well on loan with us like Guy, Knott and Jones. Guy was very good though yesterday, pretty much dominated the midfield.

You could see how much we missed Joyce, not least how he would always offer an option for our centre backs to play it short as well as his positioning almost always being spot on. Seemed far too large a space between the defence and midfield yesterday. Would rather we go back to what we are good at and just put the onus on the players to do a better job.
We signed him from Blackpool if that's what you mean.

Our commentators were saying too, when we got the ball in midfield and went forward there was so much space in your half to play in when looking for a way through your defence. We could afford to be patient.

A couple of your players might have had notably bad games but it didn't seem as though you had bad players overall, askey just got the tactics badly wrong.

Stripes

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Forest Green with the easiest win they will ever get, what a pathetic performance yet again

You've taken points this season. You had a bad day, and we had our best finishing performance in quite a long time. I doubt these circumstances will arrive again so quickly. You are at home to Cambridge next week, but an ideal opportunity to get a big slice of confidence back.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We signed him from Blackpool if that's what you mean.

Our commentators were saying too, when we got the ball in midfield and went forward there was so much space in your half to play in when looking for a way through your defence. We could afford to be patient.

A couple of your players might have had notably bad games but it didn't seem as though you had bad players overall, askey just got the tactics badly wrong.

Even the ever reliable Legge has a bad day and put your lad through on goal. We seem a bit lost at the moment in trying to find a solution to Harrogate we’ve spent two more games playing around with tactics rather than do what we are good at.

Askey doesn’t sound too happy in his interview but he has to shoulder the blame.

Montys interview we get the impression they lads are “frustrated” notably because he says so about 15 times in it!

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Even the ever reliable Legge has a bad day and put your lad through on goal. We seem a bit lost at the moment in trying to find a solution to Harrogate we’ve spent two more games playing around with tactics rather than do what we are good at.

Askey doesn’t sound too happy in his interview but he has to shoulder the blame.

Montys interview we get the impression they lads are “frustrated” notably because he says so about 15 times in it!
Legge's one of those players I always expect to have a good game against us. But I didn't notice he was giving a lot away yesterday, culminating in the back pass Toure should have scored from. But as we've found, loose balls in midfield put the defence on the back foot and if they're constantly under pressure they'll be made to look bad.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Did not appreciate at the time how good and important this tackle was from Mellish right after the penalty save. Would surely have been a goal on the follow up.

If we’re being picky though, the pen should have been retaken for encroachment. Although the players who dealt with the rebound weren’t the ones encroaching.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Did not appreciate at the time how good and important this tackle was from Mellish right after the penalty save. Would surely have been a goal on the follow up.

If we’re being picky though, the pen should have been retaken for encroachment. Although the players who dealt with the rebound weren’t the ones encroaching.
IIRC I think as a general rule, if both teams are encroaching then referees are less likely to order it retaken, unless the encroaching player did indeed gain an advantage. If it was only a Vale player encroaching then the rules are no need to retake it, if it was only a Carlisle player then should be retaken, but if both then referees use discretion.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
To be honest I’m more concerned that at no point during that run up from Pope did it look convincing and the height he hit it at was ideal for a keeper. Needs to have that responsibility taken off him in future I think.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Hessenthaler should have got a yellow for sure but thats what I mean about Kettle. Great advantage go back and book the player and everyone says well done ref. Why book a Cheltenham player.

There were a few other odd calls in the game too. One or two that annoyed Cheltenham, one or two that annoyed us but this time no weird penalty calls and no effect on the overall result.

Yems is going to be in trouble here. In the post match interview he basically called Kettle incompetent. I can see an FA book flying towards him already.

Casey
How’s Hess doing?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be honest I’m more concerned that at no point during that run up from Pope did it look convincing and the height he hit it at was ideal for a keeper. Needs to have that responsibility taken off him in future I think.

He has missed three in a row, should of let Theo take it. Although the last pen Pope did score was against that keeper.

I am annoyed that Whitehead didn’t bury the rebound though he looked half arsed and was ahead of the defender to slide it home! Sums up his efforts yesterday.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I think it’s fair that he’s got a lot of work to do, and somethings have gone against him, but theres serious flaws, today was horrific, and in fairness Stevenage should have won the game they were the better of the 2 teams despite us becoming marginally less shit in the 2nd half.

The progress made under him last season and so far in this is minimal which is what’s leading to concern amongst our fans - however excitable they are - if the performances suggested there was something around the corner and were unlucky also fair enough, but our performances and luck don’t indicate anything is around the corner.

he should be afforded the luxury of time, but his god awful football doesn’t endear him to the fans either, todays performance was a testament to that, like Exeter in the last home game, at times it was eye wateringly bad.

5 home games without a win also hasn’t helped his cause.

He needs to shape up like now or ship out.

I am in no way excusing the performances as they haven't been good enough and ultimately it's the points that matter. That said we've thrown away a couple of leads and yesterday for example we hit the woodwork twice. I'm happy to chill out for another 5-10 games and see what happens.

It's not a particularly ambitious outlook, but I'm of the mind that we're probably not going to be relegated if not every club can finish the season, so we might as well give the manager time to work on our play and get a stronger idea on which players he's happy with (and that includes the ones he's signed, because I'm not expecting him to get every player right).

In the alternative scenario, a new manager comes in, he only has the personnel to play 5-3-2, and he's just working on fitness because there's not that much else he can do. In January he tries to make wholesale changes but can't get the quality he requires because it's rushed.

GC post-match interview today might give him less room to bargain with the Radfords.

We definitely have a bit of a rift between the manager and those above him due to selling Rose.

He needs to stop sulking about Rose and get on with it. He has four strikers, Rose was not that good and Mansfield managers are otherwise always backed excellently in the transfer window.

He could improve his attack immediately if he started Cook with Maynard/Reid and consciously worked on getting Cook to hold the ball up so that our midfield and wing backs had enough time to get forward. The midfield looks crap in this formation and bridging that gap between midfield/attack would help.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Southend simply didn't deserve 3 points from that, they played some of the most defensive uncreative football I've seen in years. On another day we would have hammered them.

For some reason we had an off day up front and despite the ref trying to gift them 3 points, justice was eventually done. Southend fans might feel a bit salty because they know the ref won't help them like that every week.
Mmm, not sure I agree. We didn't do enough to win that. Their penalty was fair enough, certainly compared to our one last week, and I didnt really see too much in the refs performance to complain.
We need to be better if we are hoping to be up there, though personally I will settle for not being and bringing a few youngsters through.

bigfatron

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Stripes : I hope Scunthorpe will have a tough game next week - we are a very different proposition this season from the last few, some players who can stand up for themselves instead of being pushed around, and much more mental strength in evidence so far. So far we've only played teams in the top part of the table, Tranmere excluded, so it's not been an easy run of games either.

Ironically Tranmere were the best team we've played so far... (and Newport away in the cup)

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
2 points dropped yesterday dominated most of the game.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
oh yeah massively so.

we’ve sold or got rid of our best players of the summer window, and have replaced them with frauds (to date) rawson, meyenese or whatever it is, perch, bowery have offered the sum of fuck all between them, all came to the club under coughlan and all look hopeless.
You are now seeing exactly what our fans saw this time last season. Although we were getting results the football played was dire and listening to his after match talks were horrifying to say the least. I don't think Coughlan has much of a football brain at all. We as fans could see it . obviously the board could see it but unfortunately Coughlan could'nt.

Stripes

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Stripes : I hope Scunthorpe will have a tough game next week - we are a very different proposition this season from the last few, some players who can stand up for themselves instead of being pushed around, and much more mental strength in evidence so far. So far we've only played teams in the top part of the table, Tranmere excluded, so it's not been an easy run of games either.

Ironically Tranmere were the best team we've played so far... (and Newport away in the cup)
I'm sure you have improved, even at this early stage you can discern subtle changes even if it isn't already an obvious seed change. You had a reasonable season last term, pushing for the play-off at times. Looking optimistic for you, that"s as much as anyone can expect with things as they are. Scunthorpe have a young squad, early days they could easily get it right next week, that's all. They will have learnt something from yesterday. Were believing we are slightly stronger this term. In and around the play-off would be great.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
How’s Hess doing?
Started the last two games but is part of a midfield that isn't functioning properly.

We seem to let opposition runners go and there's a dearth of creativity. Hess has not been the worse by any standards but something aint right in that area.

Casey

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I am in no way excusing the performances as they haven't been good enough and ultimately it's the points that matter. That said we've thrown away a couple of leads and yesterday for example we hit the woodwork twice. I'm happy to chill out for another 5-10 games and see what happens.

It's not a particularly ambitious outlook, but I'm of the mind that we're probably not going to be relegated if not every club can finish the season, so we might as well give the manager time to work on our play and get a stronger idea on which players he's happy with (and that includes the ones he's signed, because I'm not expecting him to get every player right).

In the alternative scenario, a new manager comes in, he only has the personnel to play 5-3-2, and he's just working on fitness because there's not that much else he can do. In January he tries to make wholesale changes but can't get the quality he requires because it's rushed.

He needs to stop sulking about Rose and get on with it. He has four strikers, Rose was not that good and Mansfield managers are otherwise always backed excellently in the transfer window.

He could improve his attack immediately if he started Cook with Maynard/Reid and consciously worked on getting Cook to hold the ball up so that our midfield and wing backs had enough time to get forward. The midfield looks crap in this formation and bridging that gap between midfield/attack would help.

Mansfield haven’t recovered from the fall out of losing to Newport in the playoffs and the consequent decision to sack flitcroft - whereas i thought at the time (and still do) believe it was the right decision, sadly the decision of employing dempster was disasterous, it was assumed that someone coming in would play a similar style of play which neither dempster or coughlan have done - hopefully this will be addressed with the DOF having a plan on how the club play from youth to the top.

you’re right in the suggestion that cook/Maynard/Reid are the best options, and cook with one of the latter 2 would work well - yet coughlan has seemingly no ideas Of playing cook and persisting (before yesterday) with bowery - who ability wise would be more befitting to Alfreton than mansfield.

for coughlan to succeed in my view he needs to be less regimented, more flexible, happy to play players who were signed before him (eg cook) and to drop the 532/352 approach which clearly doesn’t work.

his fate is largely in his own hands, and given his Stubbornness and railing against the owners, he’s tightening his own noose without any assistance.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
another 1-1 home draw, Leyton Orient did virtually nothing apart from the 1 goal. ref was no better - Orient got 1 red and 6 yellows and Barrow 4 yellows. Another 2 points dropped at home - should have had 7 or 9 so far ffs.

What we did was hold you at arms-length whilst down to ten men for 85 minutes. Only Josh Kay really bothered us (though every team can get at us down that flank because our right backs are all awful).

Shame Hardcastle didn’t get sent off. Long season ahead for you boys.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
for coughlan to succeed in my view he needs to be less regimented, more flexible, happy to play players who were signed before him (eg cook) and to drop the 532/352 approach which clearly doesn’t work.

I like that him being disciplined and regimented is being levied as the main criticism now the fans are growing impatient. These were the qualities wanted in the initial appointment. :bg:

I'm not yet ready to ditch 5-3-2. It's the only formation we have the personnel to play. It's an issue of coaching the formation rather than anything that's wrong with the formation.

I read on Stagsnet that we should try 4-4-2. I'm not convinced Gordon is good enough or that I would trust any one of the back three in a two. I wouldn't try any formation that starts with four at the back. We would leak even more goals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!