1st/2nd 2023 League 2 Fixtures

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
This is probably an indicator that you play more attractive football than us then to be fair. We've endured far FAR worse games than that over the last few seasons!
To be fair it worked for you. You played the percentages really well and then constantly looked dangerous from the long throws and balls over the top when winning second balls.

You also stopped us playing football. I’ve not seen us play as many aimless long balls all season.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Mansfield were the Better team except the first 15 of the second where we gave away a unforgivable goal, the first goal was a lucky deflected that put them through.

Oates and I think Lapslie both missing the ball in two clear cut chances. Not a nice way to lose, very frustrating.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Mansfield were the Better team except the first 15 of the second where we gave away a unforgivable goal, the first goal was a lucky deflected that put them through.

Oates and I think Lapslie both missing the ball in two clear cut chances. Not a nice way to lose, very frustrating.

It’s happening too often, and the same things are happening game in game out. Same issues, still not being addressed. Zzzz

That’s the standard of the league though, walsall were in both games i’ve seen them play were pretty average but if i’d have seen us play today i’d be saying the same about us.

That both sides are around the playoffs speaks volumes.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Horsfall, MSH, Johnson, Hussey, Camps and the new striker unavailable.

A couple of unknown players had fitness tests.

Rydel, Hippolyte, Evans and Croasdale playing with illness.

Assistant manager Clint Hill missing with illness. Challinor’s step dad died three days ago and he was so ill he was sat on the end of the bench on his own for 90 mins.

Hippolyte then goes off injured and Wright and Collar hobbling at the end.
Apart from that though Codsy has got it spot on and has all the facts at his fingertips.

If we play one of our fellow big teams today, it could have been 4 or 5.

Moonie

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Awful from us today, deserved to lose. And yet another hamstring injury. Very tired, disjointed performance, not sure what formation we were supposed to be playing. Doncaster started well, to be fair to them - looked good for the first 15 minutes or so, before the game deteriorated into a match almost entirely void of quality.

Not entirely convinced that a flying foot into the neck isn't a red card offence though, and I'm not sure why Tom Anderson was allowed to pull, push, and climb all over Kristian Dennis all game ;)

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Rovers lost 1-0 at Crewe, watched on IFollow. We were the better team first half but lost our way after h/t. Throughout the game we fluffed chances, while a strange substitution near the end introducing a central midfielder in Nolan for a wide player and other adjustments led to a congested midfield and playing far too narrow. While the players were responsible for us going behind, both in terms of poor finishing and a header back into the danger area leading to their goal, Micky's decision to introduce Nolan rather than young attacker Jake Burton seemed odd at the time and gets no better with hindsight.

Reaction score
Supports
Alex
Rovers lost 1-0 at Crewe, watched on IFollow. We were the better team first half but lost our way after h/t. Throughout the game we fluffed chances, while a strange substitution near the end introducing a central midfielder in Nolan for a wide player and other adjustments led to a congested midfield and playing far too narrow. While the players were responsible for us going behind, both in terms of poor finishing and a header back into the danger area leading to their goal, Micky's decision to introduce Nolan rather than young attacker Jake Burton seemed odd at the time and gets no better with hindsight.
Always look forward to Tranmere at home as usually a decent game. Thought Tranmere had a really good spell for 25 minutes or so and not sure we ventured out of our half until the goal, but what a strike. We dug in 2nd half and probably should have had a second. Tranmere looked comfortable until the last 3rd when the passing and movement was slow. Nice to win and great support from Tranmere

Reactions: Boz

Gunit

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton
Incredible 7 days for us and now ridiculously only 4 points off 4th. At last back to full strength and it sounds like it showed today. Much to look forward to. Hoping we can keep our manager who must be attracting attention. Couple of players we also need to keep in this window but if offers come in we’ll never be in a position to turn them down.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
We absolutely battered Crewe, but couldn't stick the ball in the net. 22 shots for a team as poor going forward with us constitutes an absolute mauling, but fair play to Crewe - we missed chance after chance and they hung on in there and scored a great goal. Agree with Boz that our second half tactics weren't great, but Mellon's never shown himself to be especially adapt at breaking down teams that put ten men behind the ball, so that's of no great surprise. An absolute shocker in bringing Nolan on though - any attacking threat we had down the left went in an instant. But still, as per an unwritten gentlemen's agreement circa 2002, we trade home wins with Crewe every season, and so it continues...

Reactions: Boz

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Awful from us today, deserved to lose. And yet another hamstring injury. Very tired, disjointed performance, not sure what formation we were supposed to be playing. Doncaster started well, to be fair to them - looked good for the first 15 minutes or so, before the game deteriorated into a match almost entirely void of quality.

Not entirely convinced that a flying foot into the neck isn't a red card offence though, and I'm not sure why Tom Anderson was allowed to pull, push, and climb all over Kristian Dennis all game ;)
Not sure what game you were watching unless describing Carlisle’s performance. We had plenty of chances to put the game to bed well before Carlisle scored, which came from a free kick that should have been given to us. The ref was typical lower league, gave some very bizarre decisions against both sides.
Far better performance by us than I expected but yet again our decision making in the final third was woeful at times

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Opportunity tomorrow to beat Orient after today’s results and get our 7 point cushion back. Easier said than done mind you, but I saw something about Smyth not being fit?

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Horsfall, MSH, Johnson, Hussey, Camps and the new striker unavailable.

A couple of unknown players had fitness tests.

Rydel, Hippolyte, Evans and Croasdale playing with illness.

Assistant manager Clint Hill missing with illness. Challinor’s step dad died three days ago and he was so ill he was sat on the end of the bench on his own for 90 mins.

Hippolyte then goes off injured and Wright and Collar hobbling at the end.
Johnson played, didn't he? Fair enough, that's a few injuries. I'm not having this illness malarky though, if they start a Football League match then they're fit. They'll just have colds, not sure why this is even being mentioned really.

Apart from that though Codsy has got it spot on and has all the facts at his fingertips.

If we play one of our fellow big teams today, it could have been 4 or 5.
It will probably come as a surprise to you but I didn't spend any time looking at Stockport lineups of recent matches, hence me asking what was a perfectly reasonable question. Your lineup looked strong to me, this narrative that you're beleaguered and that a better side would have tonked you is just coming off like a bit of an excuse. Not the first time we've outplayed and beaten you over the last couple of seasons and not the first time we're reading excuses.

Last edited:

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
We’re gonna start closing the gap on the league’s front runners by absolutely SMASHING Stevenage tomorrow guys

(Actually we’re not, anything less than a 3-0 defeat I would probably be amazed, if we scored a goal again though I’d be chuffed)

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Johnson played, didn't he? Fair enough, that's a few injuries. I'm not having this illness malarky though, if they start a Football League match then they're fit. They'll just have colds, not sure why this is even being mentioned really.

It will probably come as a surprise to you but I didn't spend any time looking at Stockport lineups of recent matches, hence me asking what was a perfectly reasonable question. Your lineup looked strong to me, this narrative that you're beleaguered and that a better side would have tonked you is just coming off like a bit of an excuse. Not the first time we've outplayed and beaten you over the last couple of seasons and not the first time we're reading excuses.
No he didn’t - was in the original line-up and pulled out in the warm up.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.

No Johnson didn't play. He pulled out 15 minutes before kick off so MacDonald played CB instead who is a LB.

I'm not begrudging you guys the win, I'd be delighted if I was a Grimsby fan. You're definitley our bogey side at the minute.

Moonie

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Not sure what game you were watching unless describing Carlisle’s performance. We had plenty of chances to put the game to bed well before Carlisle scored, which came from a free kick that should have been given to us. The ref was typical lower league, gave some very bizarre decisions against both sides.
Far better performance by us than I expected but yet again our decision making in the final third was woeful at times
The ref was poor, and decisions went both ways like you say. I was just ribbing about the high challenge, thought the ref actually got that one spot on with the yellow card, but Anderson was all over Dennis all game with no action taken.

Genuinely thought it was a poor game - I can only remember our keeper (who had a mare) making one real save, which he flapped at, handing your lad an easy chance which he managed to blaze over. Your first goal was a gift, courtesy of both Joel Senior (3rd choice right back, forced into the side due to injuries to Jack Ellis and Fin Back - he hadn't played a minute in just shy of a year due to a ligament injury of his own) losing the plot and Holy deciding not to cover his near post. Shocker of a goal to concede. Your second came from a decent through ball, but even then Holy could have probably got there if he'd committed instead of fannying around. He also completely misjudged the looper that came off the bar in the first half.

Lets be clear, you deserved the three points - but I've only seen us play with such a lack of urgency once this season before today. Whether its injuries or just a bad day, I don't know - but either way I thought it was a poor game, though Donny managed it well, especially after the second goal. I'm not sure where our midfield was in the first half, possibly still in the dressing room.

I'm sure both sides will be involved in the playoff shakeup - as will about two thirds of the division, judging from the lack of consistency shown by everybody outside the top 3.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Just back from Doncaster. Absolutely fuming with that to be honest.

We were pathetic from minute one. Doncaster wanted it more, won just about every second ball. We weren’t in it at all really and deservedly lost.

The glaring lack of quality is worrying, but today was ridiculous, the subs made us even worse. The second half was mostly a horrible watch, no pace, no width, just humping the ball up to Mellish and Sho-Silva. Dismal stuff. Gave it a go at the end but it was all too little too late.

Moonie

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Just back from Doncaster. Absolutely fuming with that to be honest.

We were pathetic from minute one. Doncaster wanted it more, won just about every second ball. We weren’t in it at all really and deservedly lost.

The glaring lack of quality is worrying, but today was ridiculous, the subs made us even worse. The second half was mostly a horrible watch, no pace, no width, just humping the ball up to Mellish and Sho-Silva. Dismal stuff. Gave it a go at the end but it was all too little too late.
The injury to Stretton led to Sho Silva being chucked on to the left flank, which isn't his game at all. Thought we improved with the introduction of Devitt, but like you say that was too little, too late. Harris was obviously put out for the second half to give us a bit more mobility, but that game was crying out for a bit of experience in midfield.

We weren't at the races today. Senior's mistake was a shocker, but he deserves a free pass given his year on the sidelines. Huntington woefully out of sorts, Guy not himself, Gibson awful, and Dennis invisible for 85 minutes other than when getting climbed on by Anderson. Two weeks to get some juice back in the tank, then a big few games for us...

Somehow, we're still in 4th. This division makes no sense.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Opportunity tomorrow to beat Orient after today’s results and get our 7 point cushion back. Easier said than done mind you, but I saw something about Smyth not being fit?

He is unlikely to feature for a few weeks I think at least, pulled up in the warm up on Friday and was gonna have a scan today on his injury. Too good for this level, but his record with injuries isn't the best which is why he is playing in League Two.

With the results being what they were today, the game may end up 0-0 again with both sides settling for the draw. A draw for us will still be a good result, given Sky have altered our arrangements in this period meaning we've had a days less rest and have had to play 3 games in 6 days and of course we've picked up a few injuries and illnesses.

Darren Pratley will return to the midfield after being rested, Jordan Brown will also probably return to the team at right back - I don't think Rob Hunt can play 2 games in quick succession and their might be a start for QPR loanee Stephen Duke-McKenna I think as a wide forward. Ruel Sotirou is ill, Paul Smyth is injured, George Moncur's still getting his fitness back and Theo Archibald, Aaron Drinan and Charlie Kelman have all played in the last 2 games.

We'll likely do as we always do, play a slow possession game and play on the break. Our strikers aren't the most clinical which has hurt us in the last 2 games.

Sestonpoolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
The pace of Folarin in behind our awful make-shift defence was a big threat.

If we had actual defenders at the club we would have won that today. Entertaining game but Awful game of football. Two crap sides.
The first half was an absolute shocker,like watching Benny Hills angels running around.
A short spell of football actually broke out in the 2nd half & we scored two goals,but OMG,the defending.
If we don't get in a few defender's,we're cream crackered.
One proposed transfer has already hit the buffers,surprise surprise.
Totally hacked off with this shambles of a club.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Aye, first day the window open and we’re wheeling out the excuses, fuck me we’ve supposedly been working on these for 7-8 weeks man, hit the buffers already

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
We’re due a loss. Northampton would be my choice for a defeat - get that gap between the top 3 and the rest up again. Pull the ladder up behind us and skip off to Fleetwood and Accrington arm in arm.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
We’re due a loss. Northampton would be my choice for a defeat - get that gap between the top 3 and the rest up again. Pull the ladder up behind us and skip off to Fleetwood and Accrington arm in arm.

Sounds magnificent xoxo

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
He is unlikely to feature for a few weeks I think at least, pulled up in the warm up on Friday and was gonna have a scan today on his injury. Too good for this level, but his record with injuries isn't the best which is why he is playing in League Two.

With the results being what they were today, the game may end up 0-0 again with both sides settling for the draw. A draw for us will still be a good result, given Sky have altered our arrangements in this period meaning we've had a days less rest and have had to play 3 games in 6 days and of course we've picked up a few injuries and illnesses.

Darren Pratley will return to the midfield after being rested, Jordan Brown will also probably return to the team at right back - I don't think Rob Hunt can play 2 games in quick succession and their might be a start for QPR loanee Stephen Duke-McKenna I think as a wide forward. Ruel Sotirou is ill, Paul Smyth is injured, George Moncur's still getting his fitness back and Theo Archibald, Aaron Drinan and Charlie Kelman have all played in the last 2 games.

We'll likely do as we always do, play a slow possession game and play on the break. Our strikers aren't the most clinical which has hurt us in the last 2 games.

Interesting, definitely an opportunity for us then. I hear the clinical striker stuff, had chance after chance against Swindon on the 29th but couldn’t make any count. Should be a good one.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Tranmere looked good until we scored. They should probably been about 2 up at that point but poor finishing and a great save by big Arthur, kept us in it. After the goal though I thought we were the better team, we had the best two chances in the 2nd half through Tabiner and Sambou. For all Tranmeres shots they only got 3 on target and 2nd half I never felt like they were going to score. Arthur was good in goal, dealt with crosses well and saved what he had to, also Rod Mcdonald back to his best today.

Hopefully Colcketts injury isn't too bad, he looks a decent player when he's fit and scored a good goal today, hopfully with a few additions in January we can atleast stabilise, and get back to being hard to beat.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
On for a home end sell out again this afternoon, big crowds normally deliver poor games so hope it delivers something better

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つStevenage and Barra, Take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
For the first 20-30 minutes yesterday we were abysmal and Swindon looked set to play us off the park. Every time Williams got the ball it felt dangerous, some of the pass and moves they were cutting us open with were terrific and it felt only a matter of time before they would take the lead. We offered absolutely nothing and the crowd were getting restless. Then we scored and, strangely, the second half felt about as comfortable as I think it could feel - never really thought we were going to concede.

Despite spending most of the second half on the edge of our own box, Tovide's work rate up front meant that we always had an outlet and we created a couple of excellent chances ourselves too - Hannant really should have done better with a shot that was fired straight at the keeper and Ashley was unfortunate with a header from six yards out that also went straight into the keeper. A yard either side for both of those efforts would have killed the game.

For all of Swindon's tidy play and possession, most of it was sideways passing in and around the centre circle. A goal in the opening 20 minutes of dominance could have paved the way for a bit of a hiding but they looked pretty toothless. O'Hara still made a couple of excellent saves too, but it never felt like the goal was inevitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!