20/21 Matchday Thread

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Fairly beaten by Barnsley tonight.

They seemed to have a better combination of physicality and skill than we did. I'm fine with us being a long ball team, but we just can't seem to play enough football in the final third to actually create opportunities from open play.

The one area where we have strengthened properly is on the wing, but centre backs at this level just mop up all the crosses we put in.

Uche Ikpeazu was signed to be the new Akinfenwa, but he basically played one or 2 games and has been crocked since, and Akinfenwa himself is coming back from a knee injury. To say we have a problem up front is an understatement.

Also not sure how we managed to get Sinclair, the guy has serious quality and i'd be worried if he got injured.

9 in 33 from out wide since arriving and far from the luxury player I expected, does a good job defensively.

He was certainly the PNE player I was most impressed with last week.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Fairly beaten by Barnsley tonight.

They seemed to have a better combination of physicality and skill than we did. I'm fine with us being a long ball team, but we just can't seem to play enough football in the final third to actually create opportunities from open play.

The one area where we have strengthened properly is on the wing, but centre backs at this level just mop up all the crosses we put in.

Uche Ikpeazu was signed to be the new Akinfenwa, but he basically played one or 2 games and has been crocked since, and Akinfenwa himself is coming back from a knee injury. To say we have a problem up front is an understatement.

He was certainly the PNE player I was most impressed with last week.

Thought Kasket was busy for you, reminded me of Sean Maguire here, might struggle to keep him if he hits double figures.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
4 teams on 30 points in the top 6.

This league is going to be so tight.

Atavistic

Reaction score
Supports
Yaxley/Norwich City
lulululu.png.e6040d3ef0c4025a5bd9d01152868035.png

It's definitely very close at the moment, with even another couple of teams below Brentford also sitting on 28 points. I think what's keeping it so close currently is that no one has truly reached the consistency you'd expect from a team chasing promotion, no doubt because of the intense fixture schedule.

Though, I'd also say it's a notably weaker league on the whole than two years ago when we won promotion, evidenced by all three relegated sides being top of the pile as it stands (and that's despite us being nothing short of abysmal at Premier League level, not even remotely close to being competitive, yet here we are at the top again).

I'm very interested in how our match with Reading next week goes, as the glimpses I've seen of them remind me of the way we played two seasons ago.

Atavistic

Reaction score
Supports
Yaxley/Norwich City
For once, no injuries to report at this week's press conference. With that being the case, I think Vrancic could possibly do with a rest here, not least because we probably need someone a little more robust alongside Skipp in the CDM role against an attacking side like Blackburn. Could see either Tettey slot in there, with McLean only just having returned from injury and not yet being ready to play the full 90 minutes. I'd also have liked to see Cantwell start to give Stiepermann a rest, but he's not quite ready for 90 minutes yet either.

Rupp and Krul will almost certainly both be back for Cardiff, but Krul has a chance of returning against Reading in midweek.

Last edited:

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Luton away, they've done well so far this season, tough but hopefully we can keep doing the business away from home.

Pearson & Bauer out long term but DJ back from suspension, not sure i'd put him back in though after Potts' performance on Wednesday.

Riis in for Stockley I hope. Nice to have Hughes back, think he's had a decent season at left back and gives us much better balance.

Rudd
Fisher, Huntington, Davies, Hughes
Browne, Ledson
Barkhuizen, Potts, Sinclair
Riis

Ripley, Earl, Storey, Rafferty, Bayliss, Harrop, Johnson, Maguire, Stockley​

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Birmingham tomorrow.

They don’t give much away either so probably another 0-0.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Tricky game for us I think, bit of a mid table battle but Preston have an excellent away record and are an established championship side with the quality that goes with that. Sinclair in particular worries me a bit, did us in this fixture in the first game post lockdown.

Judging by how knackered we looked in the week, and the extra days rest we have over them could be a big factor, but the bottom line is we have to find a way of becoming a more potent attacking threat outside of set pieces. I’ve kind of been pinning my hopes on RND and Bree playing together as a fullback pairing with Dewsbury-Hall in midfield as the three to try and kick start us in that sense but feels like we are destined to not see that happen too often with injuries and fatigue so not sure. Individually we have players who you can point too as having creative quality, Cornick, KDH, Clark, Moncur, RND, Bree but as a team it’s not come off this season and I wonder if NJ will perhaps look at shale and system changes to unlock it a bit.

As Kenny has mentioned in these pages perhaps a change of shape with Collins having an actual partner would help us but I do worry that would leave us a bit exposed in midfield. I think it’s why we had the little dalliance with the 3 at the back to see if we could mitigate that but it’s never quite come off.

Tough to predict but maybe the 2000 fans at the Kenny will sway it, with our ground size we should probably be inline for one of the biggest advantages at this level of the fans being back. Unfortunately I’ve missed out again.

Atavistic

Reaction score
Supports
Yaxley/Norwich City
Only change from Wednesday in our XI today is Tettey coming into the side for his 250th appearance in place of Stiepermann and slotting alongside Skipp in at CDM, with Vrancic moving into the number 10 role. With no Rupp, that's probably the best CDM combination we can use at the moment, so should hopefully help us against a good Blackburn side today, though I do still worry about our weakness on the left side with Martin and Sorensen together.

I'd accept a draw from this one, but hopefully we have enough to get the three points again. Mind you, besides the threat of Armstrong I really don't know all that much about Blackburn this season, so it's possible I'm underestimating the threat they pose.

Pukki also set to make his 100th appearance this afternoon.

Atavistic

Reaction score
Supports
Yaxley/Norwich City
A goal up at half-time thanks to another Teemu Pukki goal, but could have easily been two up if we hadn't somehow missed three chances in one move. Blackburn probably one of the strongest teams we've come up against this season and they're largely forcing us to play on the counter to get through their high press. We're stepping up to the challenge well so far though and can hopefully keep that up.

Very sloppy start to the second half gives Blackburn an early but deserved equaliser. Definitely need to buck our ideas up now as Blackburn have upped it and we've not really coped.

Last edited:

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Goodness me.

We actually won on the road.

Deeney does his usual - scoring a penalty and against his boyhood side.

Still pretty average but 3 points I guess.

Perica did well.

BelizeHatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Complete performance today. Excellent all round. Blew Preston away altho they had two excellent early chances. After that bam. Dominant

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Great win and performance by us this afternoon, 3 goals and a clean sheet our second in the week. Exactly what we needed.

Got the first goal at the perfect time, Preston just having a little spell in the game and had a few half chances, the goal just checked any momentum they had building up which they never recovered from. Absolutely superlative pass from Pelly for it, straight onto Collins chest who finished nicely. Second goal before half time made us very comfortable and after getting his second you just knew Collins would snap up any other chance he got.

Pretty much as complete a performance as we’ve had this season, looked solid at the back and created a few chances too from open play which was great to see.

Atavistic

Reaction score
Supports
Yaxley/Norwich City
Three more points on the board this afternoon. Blackburn definitely a very good side, but vulnerable defensively and seemed to drop off a lot after we regained the lead, despite making such a strong start to the second half. I think they'll be around the play-off picture come the end of the season, but I'm not sure they've got enough to break into it ultimately.

Unfortunate that both Watford and Reading look to have picked up late wins so no ground really gained. Goal difference continues to be a concern for if we do slip up after big wins for both Bournemouth and Brentford. Though, as long as we keep this run going it doesn't strictly matter.

Onto Reading in midweek for what will undoubtedly be another huge test of our credentials, but after this performance today I'm a lot more confident we've got what it takes to go the distance. Even more so when Krul is back to give us a truly confident goalkeeper between the sticks (though, in fairness, McGovern made two excellent and crucial saves today to help us out). We're a much more balanced side than two years ago even with the injuries, much better defensively and with game management and still carrying a lot of offensive threat. We haven't thrashed a team yet, but we've also not really needed to either.

50 goals in 100 appearances for Pukki, and all for a price tag of £0. Onwards and upwards.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Goodness me Preston were diabolical today, but that again was as good a performance at this level as I've seen in the last 18 months from Luton - they battered them, but the away side were definitely the creators of their own downfall on occasion.

From about the 20th minute, PNE just constantly gave the ball away to a high pressing Luton side who must've thought Christmas had come 13 days early. The third goal opitimised this.

I can't help thinking travelling away after a Wednesday night match is a horrible disadvantage.

What can you say about Collins - I was starting to doubt him after his performances since the last international break. I wondered if now he's turned 30 he was starting to wane in ability. Not a chance based on today. Now 9 goals in 16 appearances this season which is very respectful and two hat-tricks against both Norwich and Preston.

As for Luton, 11th place which is very acceptable - far closer to the play offs than the relegation zone. Since the Cardiff game its been the ridiculous, to the sublime, the ridiculous, to the snore fest and now the sublime again. Looking forward to January when the schedule becomes a bit more sensible.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Shambolic, was worse than the Blackburn game that, at least we had the ten men excuse in that one.

Every single one of them hid today and just didn't fancy it, I wouldn't give a single player a rating of over 5/10. It was as bad as i've seen us at this level, completely incapable of completing a pass even without pressure. How did that same team win 3-0 on Wednesday?

Fair play to Luton though, they wanted it, first to every loose ball and Collins was clinical. Find it hard to judge them though because they were up against complete wasters, happy to see the back of a lot of them, including Alan Browne who is supposedly one of our better players.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Goodness me Preston were diabolical today, but that again was as good a performance at this level as I've seen in the last 18 months from Luton - they battered them, but the away side were definitely the creators of their own downfall on occasion.

From about the 20th minute, PNE just constantly gave the ball away to a high pressing Luton side who must've thought Christmas had come 13 days early. The third goal opitimised this.

I can't help thinking travelling away after a Wednesday night match is a horrible disadvantage.

What can you say about Collins - I was starting to doubt him after his performances since the last international break. I wondered if now he's turned 30 he was starting to wane in ability. Not a chance based on today. Now 9 goals in 16 appearances this season which is very respectful and two hat-tricks against both Norwich and Preston.

As for Luton, 11th place which is very acceptable - far closer to the play offs than the relegation zone. Since the Cardiff game its been the ridiculous, to the sublime, the ridiculous, to the snore fest and now the sublime again. Looking forward to January when the schedule becomes a bit more sensible.

With Collins it’s always the same equation for me, he’s not the most pretty or technically pleasing of centre forwards but if you create chances he will score goals. He’s not the sort who will by his own nature do things on his own he needs the team around him being on as well.

Always felt the criticism of his of late (not from yourself but elsewhere on social media he was getting some stick) has been slightly harsh as his lack of output is more a product of system and us not being creative enough than him missing big chances or not doing enough. Yes he missed a big chance against Birmingham but outside of that he’s hardly had a decent sniff in front of goal lately. Today he got 3 and tucked them away. If we create things in and around the penalty area he will get goals, if we don’t then he will work hard, press, win defensive headers, and bust his gut with movement against his centre halves and all that good stuff but look ineffective. Still think he’s better in a 2 but we got around him today and got him decent service.

Once we got that second goal you just knew another was on the cards for him, the confidence and sharpness was evident to see.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
James Collins is the first Luton player to score a 2nd Tier hat trick since Kerry Dixon in 1993. The only player in the professional leagues to score multiple hat tricks this season and his fourth for the club in total. What a servant for this club! One more goal and he has double figures for the 7th consecutive season. He will also play his 500th professional game next month.

Last edited:

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Shambolic, was worse than the Blackburn game that, at least we had the ten men excuse in that one.

Every single one of them hid today and just didn't fancy it, I wouldn't give a single player a rating of over 5/10. It was as bad as i've seen us at this level, completely incapable of completing a pass even without pressure. How did that same team win 3-0 on Wednesday?

Fair play to Luton though, they wanted it, first to every loose ball and Collins was clinical. Find it hard to judge them though because they were up against complete wasters, happy to see the back of a lot of them, including Alan Browne who is supposedly one of our better players.
I honestly couldn’t believe Luton’s luck in midfield who on occasion haven’t been spectacular themselves this season. The amount of space given to Moncur and the number of times the ball was given away... I’d be pulling my hair out if I was AN.

A mention for the defenders for the second goal too. Five players and a goalkeeper zonal marking Collins, leaving Rea to have all the time in the world to get the ball back in and, despite everyone round him, still allow Collins to nod in.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
I honestly couldn’t believe Luton’s luck in midfield who on occasion haven’t been spectacular themselves this season. The amount of space given to Moncur and the number of times the ball was given away... I’d be pulling my hair out if I was AN.

A mention for the defenders for the second goal too. Five players and a goalkeeper zonal marking Collins, leaving Rea to have all the time in the world to get the ball back in and, despite everyone round him, still allow Collins to nod in.
Yeah, the zonal marking can backfire massively if you're not aggressive in the air. Think Preston fans under estimate the loss of Patrick Bauer.

Too many players in this team thinking about their next move and don't want to know against energetic, pressing teams.

BelizeHatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The thing about Collins is his first touch back to goal he rarely keeps it. It bounces off him, he induces a foul or he lays it off to one if thier players. He also seems to have temper fits if balls arent played his way too. However we are dead without him. If he improved this to the level of everything else, in short, wed lose him.

Everyone was talking about Pellys sublime pass for his first, but the run into the space to lose both defenders then in flight to change direction to meet the ball and cut across his man was superb, the control and finish first class.

Reactions: SF_

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
I'd love Collins at PNE

Atavistic

Reaction score
Supports
Yaxley/Norwich City
So Reading are set to be without their top scorers Joao and Meite until the New Year, with both having picked up injuries as of late. That makes me notably more confident going into Wednesday's game, as that should hopefully blunt a lot of their attacking threat.

Not at all surprised to see more sides starting to pick up a fair few injuries now after several weeks of a Saturday-Tuesday schedule. It was always going to be very tough and demanding on every squad, and so it is proving. Should thankfully calm down somewhat after we get through this month, though.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
away to Bournemouth tomorrow.

We may play hoofball, but we usually try and play in a quite attacking way, within that constraint.

None of that tomorrow please - park the bus. I know that's exhausting to maintain over 90 minutes, but still.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Fully expect us to lose to shite like Barnsley with our current defensive and midfield options, our back up isn't up to it in key areas. Huntington is the latest to join the injury pile and Brad Potts went off too.

Storey shouldn't play, his confidence is in tatters and he's gifting goals, left, right and centre. Pathetic for Luton's third, Woodrow will have a field day against him.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Expecting nothing with that eleven we've scraped together, would take a point right now if offered.

Intrigued to see how Josh Earl gets on though, doubtful Gally has 90 minutes left in him, been part of the coaching team for the past month and not even named on the bench.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Refuse to pay for this one and we're winning within 5 minutes haha, sounded like a raggy goal

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
Awful game. Commentator on sky red button even more annoying than the game.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Been half watching the Watford Brentford game. Brentford have been well on top, got in good areas and have cut Watford open a few times but without really making Foster work too hard for it, you can almost feel a sucker punch coming as Brentford not making there dominance truly count as they look really good.

Watford fans at the game not sounding too pleased with what’s being put in show. First time since the fans have been back that you’ve heard negative noises!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!