2019/20 shan off the gaffa race

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Are you not going to be stuck for a while though? Can’t see that you’d be able to bring anyone in while there’s an investigation going on and these things tend not to be quick.
Oh mate I’ve not got a clue what’s happening / going to happen or how long anything will take and neither has any other Chesterfield fan, driving me nuts

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Oh mate I’ve not got a clue what’s happening / going to happen or how long anything will take and neither has any other Chesterfield fan, driving me nuts

Oh god I can imagine to be fair, even as a rival I really can't be arsed with this hanging over the rest of the season. Would rather he disappears and you get someone else in sharpish.

I'm just thinking that you presumably now can't just sack him, even if that's what you've already decided you're going to do. Because it'd be 'misconduct' rather than results, that'd mean no compensation, and I guess even looking at bringing in someone new before that process is conducted could be seen as pre-judging the outcome of the investigation. A sort-of similar thing happened with us and John Sheridan, where our mad former owner decided to argue he was sacked for gross misconduct (threatening to knock out a referee) rather than losing about nine games in a row. He ended up winning his case against us and getting £125k I think.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Chesterfield have proved they can find the money in the past and although I'm sure it's not what they wanted to spend some of the Chelsea money on, they might be best just sacking Rowe and paying him off insted of sacking him for misconduct with no £, leading to murky legals etc.

I don't really see a way back for him and that is with no idea what he's done. Once they've put this in the public domain, they must have good reason to suspend him. The "investigation" will consist of seeing if they have solid ground to dismiss him for misconduct. It really could take quite a while and they may not get a definitive answer for a long time and Rowe could end up challenging in court anyway.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Oh god I can imagine to be fair, even as a rival I really can't be arsed with this hanging over the rest of the season. Would rather he disappears and you get someone else in sharpish.

I'm just thinking that you presumably now can't just sack him, even if that's what you've already decided you're going to do. Because it'd be 'misconduct' rather than results, that'd mean no compensation, and I guess even looking at bringing in someone new before that process is conducted could be seen as pre-judging the outcome of the investigation. A sort-of similar thing happened with us and John Sheridan, where our mad former owner decided to argue he was sacked for gross misconduct (threatening to knock out a referee) rather than losing about nine games in a row. He ended up winning his case against us and getting £125k I think.
They could just sack him and pay him off, it's in every managers contract. They don't really have to say why. It's football. Just drop the suspension and say "we think we should have won every game so we're sacking you, here's your compo"

They're getting the ducks in order this week to see if they have a water tight misconduct dismissal. As alluded to, for the benefit of the club they'll have to make a call on it soon. It dragging on with him suspended will be harmful.

I seriously doubt Rowe will ever manage Chesterfield again.

Last edited:

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Hmm. The fact he hasn’t resigned yet or released some kind of ‘denies any wrongdoing but will co-operate with the investigation’ style statement via the LMA, because let’s be honest, there are all kinds of wild rumours now, suggests there may be something to it.

Even if he does come back, there are a few obvious issues. Will the relationship between him and the board which suspended him be irretrievably broken? What happens to his accuser(s)? Will they go quietly into the night? Or will we see awkward employment tribunals/stories leaked in the media, etc? We know how active players are on WhatsApp and social media now - I can’t imagine their groups and DMs haven’t been absolutely buzzing with gossip. Will they still respect Rowe like they did before? And will the inevitable terrace taunts he’ll face lead to him threatening to bite another fan’s nose off, and more hot water?

As Stocky says, I can’t see him managing Chesterfield again. If that proves to be the case, I’m struggling to think of a bigger fall from grace in the National League.

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Yep agreed, obviously willing to wait until the investigation concludes but I’d be shocked if he’s in charge of another match for us. What a shame and what a club. I’m adjusting my mind to it simply being a battle for as high up a play off spot as possible unless we pull a rabbit out the hat and get somebody good in.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Now then …

Surely not, I’d have thought he’d have been wanting to get a job back in the Championship / Upper league 1 at worst?

I don't know if there's anything in that, but he's struggled without Leam Richardson anyway hasn't he? He's a known quantity round here at least though

This whole thing is so shit. We can't have anything nice can we, just when things have been on a good upwards trajectory for the club for the first time in forever.

Last edited:

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I’m firmly of the belief that Rowe will not manage us again. As mentioned earlier there are rumours varying from dressing room fall outs to far more serious claims which I just think are frankly unbelievable.

Top of the league for most of the season, a point off top with a game in hand and allowed to sign quigley for a fee last Friday - it’s my belief that it was probably a shocking accusation on Monday to the board - plus the Maidenhead footage and other information that forced their hand.

Let’s be honest - the board are chesterfield fans, they love this club and want it to succeed - there is no way they would potentially jeopardise our season and the feel good factor around the club UNLESS they have information that they cannot ignore.

He won’t be back. He will likely be replaced by a caretaker even if it’s just while the investigation drags on (this is the role I could see Cook doing as a bit of a favour).

It’s a mess, and it’s a kick in the teeth for the board, the fans and sponsors who have absolutely rallied round the club since the sale from Dave Allen.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
We're having a similar issue with Wales. Ryan Giggs is still the manager but has been asked to stay away since November 2020 so Rob Page has stepped in as interim manager since then. If we fire him without pay, and he's found not guilty in a court of law then he will be entitled to a hefty payout so it's far too risky for us to do this. It's a good thing Rob Page has done such a good job, as otherwise we would be in a world of trouble as I doubt we can afford to pay Giggs off.

The difference with Chesterfield is that I very much doubt Rowe has a huge termination clause in his contract, so if that's the case they should just look at terminating him ASAP and looking elsewhere, unless they genuinely believe Danny Webb is capable of taking Chesterfield up from here.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
We're having a similar issue with Wales. Ryan Giggs is still the manager but has been asked to stay away since November 2020 so Rob Page has stepped in as interim manager since then. If we fire him without pay, and he's found not guilty in a court of law then he will be entitled to a hefty payout so it's far too risky for us to do this. It's a good thing Rob Page has done such a good job, as otherwise we would be in a world of trouble as I doubt we can afford to pay Giggs off.

The difference with Chesterfield is that I very much doubt Rowe has a huge termination clause in his contract, so if that's the case they should just look at terminating him ASAP and looking elsewhere, unless they genuinely believe Danny Webb is capable of taking Chesterfield up from here.
Depends what it is I guess. Suspension is there to protect both parties isn’t it so there is of course a potential scenario where Rowe is innocent and is back in the dugout - I just think it’s very unlikely.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Back on topic.
Ben Strevens has been sacked at Eastleigh
Surprised at that, thought he'd be given a bit more time with his status at the club. Comes across fairly well in the interviews I've seen. Anyone know what sort of budget Eastleigh are operating on nowadays? Seems a fair bit lower than when we were previously down and they were Going For It™.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Isn't that 3 of the last 4 managers leaving after a loss to Dover. With the odd one out leaving to become Dover Manager.
Yep, the one before Strevens was in 2017 after Dover's last win prior to this week.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Surprised at that, thought he'd be given a bit more time with his status at the club. Comes across fairly well in the interviews I've seen. Anyone know what sort of budget Eastleigh are operating on nowadays? Seems a fair bit lower than when we were previously down and they were Going For It™.
Victim of the quality of the league and the increases in budget elsewhere really.

Eastleigh's budget is still well above their gates, income etc. I remember a lot of their signings were deemed to be good ones in the summer. There is good backing there.

They're a victim of the improved quality near the top this season, they've flirted with the play-offs the last few seasons. They're probably not a particularly better or worse team this season than those seasons but because of more teams going for it, they've sunk to mid table with no real flirt with the play-offs so far this season. The Dover defeat which was going to happen to somebody was probably the unfortunate final straw.

DN14 Spire

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I don't know mate.

The bits i've got is that there has been an undercurrent of ill treatment and poor conduct to staff at the club for a while, which Rowe had been pulled by the board about. Very much if you were on the right side of him he was a pleasure, but when things didn't go right or they weren't has he wanted it could get a bit out of hand.

With that in mind not a lot would suprise me if it ever comes out, which i'm sure it will do.

I've seen some pretty damning assassinations of his personality from journalists, ex players and ex players missus on twitter which shows probably a lot of people either were waiting, or expected something like this to happen.

He's done a great job, been great with the fans, got involved in a lot of the Trusts charity causes in particular on homelessness and childrens charities but it appears behind all of this public PR behind the scenes things aren't as rosy as we'd have hoped.

He's obviously a winner and a perfectionist who will stop at nothing in getting things just the way he wants them. If people get in the way or aren't on board with him then off you pop. Trouble with that approach is it's bound to rub a few people up the wrong way and set hares running.

I wonder if it's a clash of styles with our board as much as anything...in my experience guys with a local authority background tend to go firmly by the book. A bit of due diligence by them might have seen this coming.

A thoroughly deflating experience all round.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Rowe has definitely been spending a year making friends and influencing people across the Vanarama. :lol:

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
The latest drama in the Rowe scandal..

Aldershot physio getting involved in the BEEF it seems!!

There are a few ex colleagues coming out the woodwork to says he’s a bit nasty. I’m not bothered in the slightest if he’s not very friendly, Sheridan was a grumpy pisshead when he got us out of league 2.

I am bothered however if he’s done something terrible that warrants the sack. The behavioural stuff I’m less arsed about if I’m honest.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Rowe has definitely been spending a year making friends and influencing people across the Vanarama. :lol:
How do you think the conversation went down when we bid for Roberts? Can’t imagine him and Burchnall would see eye to eye on many things.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Ah see the way he says ‘find out the the real reason he lost his job’ suggests to me there is something in - let’s call it - the (Chesterfield) physio rumour.. Physio’s union, and all that. NL Physios WhatsApp been going into overdrive.
I refuse to believe that rumour - seems so far fetched. I’ve heard anything from inappropriate comments right to the other end of the scale!

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
How do you think the conversation went down when we bid for Roberts? Can’t imagine him and Burchnall would see eye to eye on many things.

Probably gets done at higher levels than the manager. I think Rowe was a bit of a tit around that play-off game, but we’ve done a fair bit of business since.

I’m not sure Burchnall has many friends among the other managers either to be honest. He’s had more than one moan about how embarrassing and weird he finds the behaviour of other teams’ benches during games compared to what he’s used to (ie standing there and trying to manage the team), and I’ve heard a couple of bits about him not being very popular at manager’s meetings etc as an outsider with some different ideas on how things should be done.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Probably gets done at higher levels than the manager. I think Rowe was a bit of a tit around that play-off game, but we’ve done a fair bit of business since.

I’m not sure Burchnall has many friends among the other managers either to be honest. He’s had more than one moan about how embarrassing and weird he finds the behaviour of other teams’ benches during games compared to what he’s used to (ie standing there and trying to manage the team), and I’ve heard a couple of bits about him not being very popular at manager’s meetings etc as an outsider with some different ideas on how things should be done.
I’ve got a hunch that Burchnall is a bit like Rowe in having a nasty streak - something about him seems to nicey nice in interviews. I could be way off the mark with that though.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
This really isn’t going to end well for him is it. I stand by my first initial impression on this… he’s done something seriously wrong for the board to have 1) suspended him and 2) actually be considering sacking him (if that’s not already been done)

Reason I say that is because he was honestly borderline worshipped by the chairman and rightly so for the job he’s done here. The way he’s reconnected the fans and the club in such a short period of time really does deserve huge credit. I think no matter what happens here, spireites will always be thankful to him for that as I genuinely never saw a way back for us at one point, it got that bad.

Shame for him too really if he does get sacked… he looked to be one of the brightest young managers in the lower leagues and with a sacking for misconduct hanging over his head, especially if the actual story of what went off gets released/leaked, then I think that will be his career done (or at least the potential career he seemed destined to go onto).

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

So what you are saying is....he's a geek who struggles with social interaction.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I’ve got a hunch that Burchnall is a bit like Rowe in having a nasty streak - something about him seems to nicey nice in interviews. I could be way off the mark with that though.

I can see what you mean, there’s something about his eyes as well that looks mildly threatening. But he’s the opposite of Rowe in that no one who’s ever worked with him seems to have a bad word to say. Which is maybe a worry in itself!

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
So what you are saying is....he's a geek who struggles with social interaction.

Looking back, one of the funniest moments of the season was Halifax’s assistant manager winding him up so much that he tried to fight him at full time. It just looked so wrong.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I can see what you mean, there’s something about his eyes as well that looks mildly threatening. But he’s the opposite of Rowe in that no one who’s ever worked with him seems to have a bad word to say. Which is maybe a worry in itself!
I was going to mention his eyes, absolutely huge and bloodshot like he’s not slept for weeks.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Rowe is your common or garden bully and nasty piece of work. Starting on people in pubs for no good reason. Burchnall is the neighbour you've know for years and is ok, but a bit quiet. Bit odd.

Then when the police come to dig up his garden you are explaining to the news reporter how shocked you were and how you had no idea, he seemed so nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!