28th February Conference Match Thread

Shotsfan1993

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Twitter
@SamOS1993
This season Aldershot had 12 corners in the first half at SB. HT and FT stats were no corners in the game at all!

Maybe the stats refer to corners that were actually threatening to the opposition, in which case we probably did have 0 :lol:

Seriously, it is quite frustrating the amount of times we get either into good wide positions or get corners and rarely threaten other than the odd header from Williams. We dont threaten the opposition keeper nearly enough from crosses or corners.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Where to start....

Absolutely dire team selection from Moyses, it's the first time I'm going to lay into him. I know I'm probably going to get slated because he's a "Lincoln lad",

Not from me mate. Just becuase he is Lincoln born and bred doesnt mean he is the answer. I mean look at Stuart Pearce at Forest. God awful until he fucked off and now 5 wins and a draw in 6 games under Dougie Freeman.

Personally I think Moyses is a terrible manager. Without a run of decent home form which I gather you have rode your luck in you would have been in deep trouble. As someone said yesterday. Think it was David once you go behind you dont have a response? Complete loss of ideas

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Huntingdon 1 - 7 AFC Rushden & Diamonds.

Bit disappointing to only notch up 7 this week... Peaksy out ;).

Went 1-0 down inside a min, before drawing ahead at HT 2-1. Fairly even first half was followed by a dominant 2nd, with former Huntingdon captain Declan Rodgers completing his hat-trick as part of a crazy 6 mins where we scored 4 goals.

Late kick off for our promotion rivals still in play...
Think Wisbech look like your closest Rivals at the moment. They have a big game away at Yaxley in midweek. Looking good for you.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Well our game was an absolute belter, which it didn't need to be but due to our somewhat lax defending we ended up needing to score a bucket load to win against a Southport side who looked all over the place at the back. We scored 5, hit the woodwork twice and still ended up getting nervous at the end.

The game had absolutely everything, 8 goals, 2 penalties, 1 missed, 1 scored, a goal direct from a corner, a diving header from Kurtis Guthrie, a cracking free kick from Marcus Kelly, a spectacular bicycle kick by Clovis Kamdjo, the woodwork rattled from an audacious 35 yard volley from Jon Parkin, and a number of flashpoints involving pantomime bellend Richard cheating Brodie plus us being somewhat lucky to avoid a red with Charlie Clough clearly kicking out at an opponent which was somehow only deemed a yellow.

Luckily with our confidence and quality going forward, we were always going to have enough to score a few, Kamdjo's goal must be a contender for goal of the season.

Having dropped Sam Russell for no reason whatsoever, it seems Steve Arnold who looked very shaky is our new long term no. 1, and If he plays like that and we defend like we did yesterday next week could be very difficult

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Gotta give it to our fans yesterday, we took 667 all the way to Gateshead which is about at least 5 hour drive.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I'm with Master D. How many professional sides were there when Darlo and Lincoln went up? I suspect that was when the whole pissing the league thing first reared it's head. One doesn't even have to go back that far back, as the conference has only become really competitive in the last 4/5years. Before that the league was mainly made up of part-timers, and I sure remember us winning games very comfortably even though we were nothing special. Nowadays easy wins are much harder to come by.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well our game was an absolute belter, which it didn't need to be but due to our somewhat lax defending we ended up needing to score a bucket load to win against a Southport side who looked all over the place at the back. We scored 5, hit the woodwork twice and still ended up getting nervous at the end.

The game had absolutely everything, 8 goals, 2 penalties, 1 missed, 1 scored, a goal direct from a corner, a diving header from Kurtis Guthrie, a cracking free kick from Marcus Kelly, a spectacular bicycle kick by Clovis Kamdjo, the woodwork rattled from an audacious 35 yard volley from Jon Parkin, and a number of flashpoints involving pantomime bellend Richard cheating Brodie plus us being somewhat lucky to avoid a red with Charlie Clough clearly kicking out at an opponent which was somehow only deemed a yellow.

Luckily with our confidence and quality going forward, we were always going to have enough to score a few, Kamdjo's goal must be a contender for goal of the season.

Having dropped Sam Russell for no reason whatsoever, it seems Steve Arnold who looked very shaky is our new long term no. 1, and If he plays like that and we defend like we did yesterday next week could be very difficult

How has Clough looked for you guys?

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
How has Clough looked for you guys?

After a handful of games he looks like a real find, I now understand why the Sutton fans were so gutted to see him leave. He is a good old fashioned centre-half, brave, hard-tackling, good in the air, absolutely no messing around at all and with a pretty decent pass in him. I can see him going on to play at a higher level than the Conference. In the space of a couple of months he has become a fans favourite and must surely be one of the first names on the team sheet, can't say much fairer than that.

Last edited:

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
BBC stats are incorrect every week, surely everyone knows this? The corner stats are the worst, I've been to matches where there's been 10 or so and BBC say there wasn't one in the match.

This wasn't the BBC stats I was referring to, as I said in my initial post. They were the stats from the NLP this morning.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Think Wisbech look like your closest Rivals at the moment. They have a big game away at Yaxley in midweek. Looking good for you.

Rivals for the title, but not promotion. Title is nice, promotion is the real goal. Wisbech didn't apply for promotion and as such can't go up. This season it was only ourselves and Holbeach. Last season it was only ourselves and Spalding.

That Yaxley game is indeed huge for them, as the title is all they can aim for. They are strange as they turned down promotion in the past to move sideways in to our league (in the last season in which clubs were really allowed any say in the matter they applied for the sideways move).

Huge game coming up March 21st. They come to our place. Earlier this season we beat them 3-1 at theirs. Finishing the game with 8 men (for the last 30 mins). They will certainly want revenge for that.

That said I stick to what I have said previously, since 100% guarantees us both promotion and the title - our biggest game is whatever our next league game is. 10 cup finals to go.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Rivals for the title, but not promotion. Title is nice, promotion is the real goal. Wisbech didn't apply for promotion and as such can't go up. This season it was only ourselves and Holbeach. Last season it was only ourselves and Spalding.

That Yaxley game is indeed huge for them, as the title is all they can aim for. They are strange as they turned down promotion in the past to move sideways in to our league (in the last season in which clubs were really allowed any say in the matter they applied for the sideways move).

Huge game coming up March 21st. They come to our place. Earlier this season we beat them 3-1 at theirs. Finishing the game with 8 men (for the last 30 mins). They will certainly want revenge for that.

That said I stick to what I have said previously, since 100% guarantees us both promotion and the title - our biggest game is whatever our next league game is. 10 cup finals to go.
Why don't teams apply for promotion ? Is it a ground thing ? Seems strange

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town

someone has definately hacked B2TF's account, if not he would've replied to this with the usual "you're FGR nobody cares"...... Etc! :)

In this post i notice you refer to Richard Brodie as a bellend (which of course is correct), however you had Lee Hughes playing for you for a few years, often described by you as 'a top bloke'.
I'm sure you can see the problem i'm having in understanding how in your eyes, Brodie is a worse person than Hughes?!
In my recollection, i cannot remember Brodie ever causing anybodys deaths?!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Why don't teams apply for promotion ? Is it a ground thing ? Seems strange

There are a number of reasons and each is individual to the club.

Part of it is ground grading. If you know you're going to fail, why bother? Sometimes it's about work/player commitments. Sometimes it's about being the big fish in the small pond. Often clubs cite the extra traveling costs, but I think that's probably a misdirect for unwillingness to pay higher wages and not wanting to be bottom of the table fodder.

All too often clubs will just spend a load of money to win the league and feed some egos, with no intent of going up. Holbeach did it in the UCL Premier the season we were promoted to it. Long Buckby did it before (though I forget if they applied, they were never going to pass ground grading).

This season and last I think most clubs in the UCL saw it as a two way shoot-out. The deadline for application is not until December IIRC, and it involves a fee for getting the ground grading done etc. I think clubs who just don't believe they are going up want to save on this fee.

In Wisbech's case specifically, they have won 10 straight league games. They lost at Holbeach 1-0. Running back to when they were beaten comprehensively by us they have won 14 out of 16 league matches since then, with the other dropped points being a draw, so 5 dropped. In comparison we have played 15, dropping 12 points. They probably didn't see it as realistic at the time, especially given Holbeach have dropped 13 in that period too (13 games).

CrazyImp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Twitter
@Sam_LCFC_90
Saw some of the players and manager in town today on the booze, laughing and high-fiving each other as if we hadn't fallen to yet another chastening defeat.

I'm all for footballers for having a social life, but that takes the piss, another manager who is too close to his players.

I'm not going again this season.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
There are a number of reasons and each is individual to the club.

Part of it is ground grading. If you know you're going to fail, why bother? Sometimes it's about work/player commitments. Sometimes it's about being the big fish in the small pond. Often clubs cite the extra traveling costs, but I think that's probably a misdirect for unwillingness to pay higher wages and not wanting to be bottom of the table fodder.

All too often clubs will just spend a load of money to win the league and feed some egos, with no intent of going up. Holbeach did it in the UCL Premier the season we were promoted to it. Long Buckby did it before (though I forget if they applied, they were never going to pass ground grading).

This season and last I think most clubs in the UCL saw it as a two way shoot-out. The deadline for application is not until December IIRC, and it involves a fee for getting the ground grading done etc. I think clubs who just don't believe they are going up want to save on this fee.

In Wisbech's case specifically, they have won 10 straight league games. They lost at Holbeach 1-0. Running back to when they were beaten comprehensively by us they have won 14 out of 16 league matches since then, with the other dropped points being a draw, so 5 dropped. In comparison we have played 15, dropping 12 points. They probably didn't see it as realistic at the time, especially given Holbeach have dropped 13 in that period too (13 games).
Thanks for the info . It's weird to pump money into a club to win a league and then have no intention of promotion but I suppose it's their money lol .

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Saw some of the players and manager in town today on the booze, laughing and high-fiving each other as if we hadn't fallen to yet another chastening defeat.

I'm all for footballers for having a social life, but that takes the piss, another manager who is too close to his players.

They've been taking the piss out of you for the past 2 years, that I know. Sorry to hear you won't be going again but can't say I blame you. The tossers cramming the full time squads in this league are the reason part time clubs like mine can prosper. Shouldn't be any full timers in Conference league, the players on the way up are coming from part time leagues and should remain part time, the one's coming from the other direction are failed professionals and should be offered the same terms as the ones coming up.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
In this post i notice you refer to Richard Brodie as a bellend (which of course is correct), however you had Lee Hughes playing for you for a few years, often described by you as 'a top bloke'.
I'm sure you can see the problem i'm having in understanding how in your eyes, Brodie is a worse person than Hughes?!
In my recollection, i cannot remember Brodie ever causing anybodys deaths?!

I don't want to keep going over this again, but had you ever met Lee Hughes your opinion might be different. He's done charity work and has shown genuine contrition for what, although obviously not good, was an accident. He puts up with a huge amount of stick, mainly from people who know very little about the true facts and have decided they know better then a court of law, and usually deals with it very well.

Brodie is a bellend because he's a slimy, cheating, whingeing bastard, and always has been. His penalty miss yesterday was almost as amusing as his stroppy little twat act after he was hooked having spent almost the entire afternoon rolling around on the floor clutching his face, before getting up and whingeing at everyone.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I think the fact that Hughes decides to wind up opposition fans and make a general mockery of the fact that he's a convicted murderer does him no favours, more than anything else. I'd hardly say his actions when I've seen him play against Barnet (especially in his notes County days) have shown any of his 'genuine contrition'.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
As I said, he takes a lot of stick and sometimes gives a tiny bit back. It's difficult not to ever react when facing a constant stream of vile abuse.

Also he's not a convicted murderer.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
As I said, he takes a lot of stick and sometimes gives a tiny bit back. It's difficult not to ever react when facing a constant stream of vile abuse.

Also he's not a convicted murderer.

I'd say gouding fans by running along the touchline, arms outstretched laughing your balls off is a bit more than a tiny bit back. He's decided to return to a profession in the public eye after being responsible for/causing the death of someone (better wording?) - he's going to get abuse rightly or wrongly. He should suck it up, leave the profession or make a complaint through the relevant people rather than react.

I have no sympathy for the man especially after seeing his vile behaviour for myself. There has been no genuine contrition shown whatsoever. Horrible, horrible person.

I'll leave this there I feel.

springerbfc

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I don't think a flukey goal in off a knee in the last minute counts as a smashing does it, unless you mean it was a smash and grab.

Not sure which game you are referring to but we've stuffed part time teams all season long. Not on every occasion but numerous times.
It's why we have a shot at winning the league because our record against the full timers is patchy at best.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
I'd say gouding fans by running along the touchline, arms outstretched laughing your balls off is a bit more than a tiny bit back. He's decided to return to a profession in the public eye after being responsible for/causing the death of someone (better wording?) - he's going to get abuse rightly or wrongly. He should suck it up, leave the profession or make a complaint through the relevant people rather than react.

I have no sympathy for the man especially after seeing his vile behaviour for myself. There has been no genuine contrition shown whatsoever. Horrible, horrible person.

I'll leave this there I feel.

Ok fair enough, you're fully entitled to your opinion, and I accept you make some reasonable points.

I've no interest in discussing this anymore either, he's no longer an FGR player.

Looking forward to visiting The Hive next week, it's a big game for us, and hopefully we'll have a decent following (by our standards).

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
Does he still do that stupid fucking dance? Remember hearing the Notts County lot singing 'Let's all do the Hughesy', wanted to vomit.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Lincoln thugged their way to the title. Darlo, admittedly, were an impressive side that season.
Guess who finished 2nd both times?

Where do you reckon the match might be played B2TF?
Yep the game at our place against you guys was lively, your man Herbie Smith came on thumped a Lincoln player and went off again!

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
I'm with Master D. How many professional sides were there when Darlo and Lincoln went up? I suspect that was when the whole pissing the league thing first reared it's head. One doesn't even have to go back that far back, as the conference has only become really competitive in the last 4/5years. Before that the league was mainly made up of part-timers, and I sure remember us winning games very comfortably even though we were nothing special. Nowadays easy wins are much harder to come by.
We were the only 'pro' side at the time and we certainly didn't piss it we only went top in the penultimate game.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972

Tony Diagne was at the hospital on Friday for an op and gave it the ' Do you know who I am?' with the staff in his theatre and no one had a clue who he was, prat...

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
They've been taking the piss out of you for the past 2 years, that I know. Sorry to hear you won't be going again but can't say I blame you. The tossers cramming the full time squads in this league are the reason part time clubs like mine can prosper. Shouldn't be any full timers in Conference league, the players on the way up are coming from part time leagues and should remain part time, the one's coming from the other direction are failed professionals and should be offered the same terms as the ones coming up.
Your part time lads probably earn more than our players, our 'top' earners get £600 a week.
For some reason we seem a lot of cocks to the club.
This season suddenly smacks of 2011 with us just to sneak a win to be safe and we never did.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Yep the game at our place against you guys was lively, your man Herbie Smith came on thumped a Lincoln player and went off again!
Herbie was a bit of an anti-hero for us. You forgot to mention the flooded away dressing room!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Thanks for the info . It's weird to pump money into a club to win a league and then have no intention of promotion but I suppose it's their money lol .

It's like buying FIFA and only ever playing it on easy. Anyone can win if you make yourself enough better than the opposition, some people just enjoy the win, knowing full well there is more you could do if you dared challenge yourself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!